• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

Ramenman

Awesome, aside from the fresh look DICE totally nailed the controls. Some wouldn't make any sense in third person, but are a complete breeze in first person, I really hope the game is as awesome as it could be, and that it sells a fucking lot. Then maybe somebody else can realize that there's much more to do with a first person view than shooting aliens. Duh.

And GAF discusses the jaggies :lol

Edit : I took a bit of freedom before the fighting part of the training, running around the stage without any "red" or other indications and I had no problems spotting where I could go and how. I actually went back to the beginning of the level (just before the first door) using a different route that the one the game makes you take.
I hope there will be enough "second routes" to warrant a second play through.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
tahrikmili said:
No jaggies whatsoever in the 360 version it definitely uses either MSAA or some very good edge AA. I love it.

Dude both versions have jaggies that are plain to see, and the 360 certainly doesn't use "very good edge AA", in-fact it's still questionable atm if it even uses AA, but if it does it will be 2xaa at the most, some people on here need to get down to specsavers asap.

Llyranor

I think I'd be getting the PS3 version after trying both demos a couple of times. While I generally prefer the 360 controller for FPS controls, here the PS3 pad actually works better for me, given the emphasis on all shoulder buttons (them being the same on the PS3 helps, I think).

Screw the graphical difference. I didn't even notice them.

tahrikmili said:
No jaggies whatsoever in the 360 version it definitely uses either MSAA or some very good edge AA. I love it.
There's jaggies in both versions. Just not as much on the 360.

Snaku said:
I cannot for the life of me get under 1:50 on the time trial of the first area. :lol
Download some ghosts to see how other people are playing, then try to improve.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:

Download some ghosts to see how other people are playing, then try to improve.
Wait, this game has downloadable ghosts? Can they just be downloaded from the leaderboard?

If so: hell fucking yeah!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Rez>You said:
Wait, this game has downloadable ghosts? Can they just be downloaded from the leaderboard?

If so: hell fucking yeah!

yep, that's how I improved my routes and get my time down, really is useful, although in a game like this I couldn't help feel like I was cheating a little by doing that.

lowrider007 said:
yep, that's how I improved my routes and get my time down, really is useful, although in a game like this I couldn't help feel like I was cheating a little by doing that.
That's true, but at first I thought the game wasn't as opened as I was expecting it to be. Then I downloaded a ghost and went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" :lol

I've been doing all sorts of crazy shit since then.

Ramenman

lowrider007 said:

Well, it depends if you're looking for going 1 to 2 seconds faster, or a whooping 10 seconds which implies that you're not taking the good road. I wouldn't feel cheaty if I learnt by looking at a ghost that I can jump a little earlier from a wall or something like that. But I it's true that I'd felt spoilt if I learnt a new route by looking lazily at someone else's ghost :/

Dabanton

Played the demo again

Damm this game is sooo good. this time i turned off the Runner Vision makes the game more challenging as even though i knew where to go it's like your always looking ahead of yourself to see the best route.

So exhilarating.:D

jaaz

Metalmurphy said:

Yep. Those saying there are no jaggies on either version, just go into the first room in the tutorial, before you follow Celeste over the pipe, and look at the florescent light fixture on the ceiling. Both have plenty of jaggies, with the 360 version having less. Both have that shimmering that drives me crazy (look at the closed door in that very same room).

Here are the differences in my opinion:

- PS3 slightly more jaggies than 360
- 360 slightly less colorful than PS3
- Frame rate appears to be steady in both version, PERHAPS a bit steadier on PS3 (but debatable)
- Both versions have slight tearing, but not enough to be a problem unless you're on an SDTV or anal about tearing.
- Character models look crappy on both, although I have no idea why Celeste's hair looks crappier on the 360 version.

Still a day 1 purchase for me, for gameplay and originality. I am an absolute sucker for originality.

Having played the demo on both platforms, I think I'll have to go for the PS3 version. I don't like using LB/RB for any important functions.

The demo is very impressive overall. I'm looking forward to picking up the full version.

2real4tv

PS3 version looks good no need to check 360 version also I did not see any screen tearing. The game is impressive much better than I thought and wow does not look like a UE game.

duckroll

I don't have Gold, so I'll only be able to check out the 360 demo next week. After playing the PS3 demo I decided to preorder the PS3 version for now since it runs pretty much flawlessly and looks really really good. The controls are spot on and it's a really clean look game. The aliasing is very noticable when the game isn't moving, or when you're standing still and looking around, but it didn't bother me in motion at all and that's basically the premise of the game - to always be in motion. I'll have to see how much better the 360 one looks versus how much worse the controls feel to consider switching the order around. The 360 version will almost certainly be cheaper here than the PS3 version, but right now I'm really feeling the PS3 controls so unless the demo changes my mind substantially, that's what I'm going with.

The demo is fucking awesome though, it's exactly what I expected of the game and totally delivering in concept, controls, graphics and style. Totally dig it. If only more UE3 games were this distinctive and unique looking, I don't think anyone would even be bitching about a "UE3 look" for games using the engine. Kudos to DICE for pulling it off. :D

ElyrionX

Great demo. I sure hope the final game is just as fantastic.

Also, is this the biggest evolutionary leap for the platforming genre since Mario 64?

StuBurns

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Great demo. I sure hope the final game is just as fantastic.

Also, is this the biggest evolutionary leap for the platforming genre since Mario 64?
I think Portal could have been. This is 3D first person platforming, but Portal introduced that, and the ability to control virtual tunnels to platforms.

Check out the portal video of Mirror's Edge.
That shit is the future right there.

JB1981

I really like this game. PS3 version is a bit jaggier, unfortunately. Oh well, doesn't really detract from the experience too much.

Question: will this game support trophies?

Hootie

Downloaded and played the 360 demo a few times today and all I can say is that it is AWESOME. Ever since the first teaser was released I've been watching this game like an eagle and now I really can't wait to buy it :D

Another note: Even though I've seen all of the gameplay videos, I was BLOWN AWAY by the colors and beauty of the city. It is absolutely amazing.

duckroll said:
The demo is fucking awesome though, it's exactly what I expected of the game and totally delivering in concept, controls, graphics and style. Totally dig it. If only more UE3 games were this distinctive and unique looking, I don't think anyone would even be bitching about a "UE3 look" for games using the engine. Kudos to DICE for pulling it off. :D

Is it UE3, though? I thought it was Frostbite.

Majmun

JB1981 said:
I really like this game. PS3 version is a bit jaggier, unfortunately. Oh well, doesn't really detract from the experience too much.

Question: will this game support trophies?

Yep, 45 trophies are in the game.

edit- too late :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
stuburns said:
Yep, but using a very different lighting engine than your usual UE3 game. You can still see the "UE3 look" with the character models though. Also there is some rare texture popin from time to time.

Slizz

are these like preorder codes one time use? or can someone give me theirs an i jus use it for mine as well??? i like the game, but i wanna see what this time trial an how addicting it is anyone wanna PM me a code??....buttttttt if yall wanna horde the fun cause you put 5 bucks down i guess its ok lol, i dont have the nerve to step into a gamestop or EB

I was blown away with the demo. Played it thursday night on the PS3 and then re-downloaded it on the 360 last night. I must say the first thing that I noticed was that on my tv the 360 version was much smoother looking. I actually tried the PS3 version again after that and the jaggies bugged me.. I do sort of like the PS3 controller for the controls however so it is a toss up.

Overall it is so fresh and new.... I am going to go with a pre order here soon... just not sure of which version yet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Always-honest said:
you know what jaggies are?

MSAA is not based on edge detection specifically.
Edge AA does not generally need AA_factor * resolution sized buffers (thus also needing a lot of bandwidth). MSAA does not affect polygon's surfaces because all the samples merged/blended to make up the final pixel share the same color (depth can vary though... 4xMSAA = 4 samples per pixel, but you run the shader and calculate the pixel color only once for all the 4 samples), FSAA is much more akin to "simply" rendering at a higher resolution and then down-sampling/scaling the finale frame (each sample can have unique color and position).

http://alt.3dcenter.org/artikel/multisampling_anti-aliasing/index3_e.php

teepo

duckroll said:

i clearly remember readying cliff blesenzki having mistaken the game as an ue3 title at a tradeshow. i'm positive it's the new middleware engine for ea games.

edit: found this
Executive Producer Glen Schofield said the company is in the process of working with lawyers to figure out the legalese for officially naming the engine, which was originally used for The Godfather and From Russia with Love.

MIND BLOWN

Slizz

slizz, wants to kno bout these pre-order codes lol i dont wanna go to gamestop or EB, an i dont even kno if i wanna pre-order, but if the time trial are as addictive as people are gushing about, maybe itll sway me

Panajev2001a said:
MSAA is not based on edge detection specifically.
Edge AA does not generally need AA_factor * resolution sized buffers (thus also needing a lot of bandwidth). MSAA does not affect polygon's surfaces because all the samples merged/blended to make up the final pixel share the same color (depth can vary though... 4xMSAA = 4 samples per pixel, but you run the shader and calculate the pixel color only once for all the 4 samples), FSAA is much more akin to "simply" rendering at a higher resolution and then down-sampling/scaling the finale frame (each sample can have unique color and position).

http://alt.3dcenter.org/artikel/multisampling_anti-aliasing/index3_e.php
so you're saying the 360 version has zero jaggies?

teepo said:
i clearly remember readying cliff blesenzki having mistaken the game as an ue3 title at a tradeshow. i'm positive it's the new middleware engine for ea games.

edit: found this

MIND BLOWN

That was about Dead Space. Mirror's Edge does use UE3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jaaz said:
- Character models look crappy on both, although I have no idea why Celeste's hair looks crappier on the 360 version.

wha?

mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg

looks quite amazing to me. there is a scene during the tutorial where celeste looks a little odd due to the self-shadowing technique and how her face is shaded, but aside from that the details look great and i think the modeling is spot on. the enemies dont seem to have as much attention to detial though.

StuBurns

Banned
op_ivy said:
wha?

mirrors-edge-20081003022943971_640w.jpg

looks quite amazing to me. there is a scene during the tutorial where celeste looks a little odd due to the self-shadowing technique and how her face is shaded, but aside from that the details look great and i think the modeling is spot on. the enemies dont seem to have as much attention to detial though.
She doesn't even have real hair. It's like a hat.

Top Bottom