• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

kaskade

I did a PIP of the two versions just now and the 360 version has a much warmer look to it. I feel that the PS3's look is much more what the game is suppose to look like, very bright and clean. If you didn't play them side by side you probably would never even notice a difference.
Here's a not so high quality picture but it gets the point across. (you can kind of see the difference in aliasing if you look at the edge of the roof)
m9289x.jpg

The best part of this demo is jumping off the back of the rooftop stairwell and sliding down the boards (right before the two guards on the roof). I always get excited when I do that. :D

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I did a PIP of the two versions just now and the 360 version has a much warmer look to it. I feel that the PS3's look is much more what the game is suppose to look like, very bright and clean. If you didn't play them side by side you probably would never even notice a difference.
Here's a not so high quality picture but it gets the point across. (you can kind of see the difference in aliasing if you look at the edge of the roof)
m9289x.jpg

i saw the same kind of effect after playing them both, the 360 demo just looked kinda "off" to me and now i see why.

Firestorm

I think I'm going to play again but map LB (up) to LT and LT (down) to RT. I think it'll be easier to get that flow going with just both triggers rather than the button/trigger on the left side. This is for 360 of course.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think that difference in color is mainly something in your setup -- either a difference in connection methods or settings. i don't see any big color difference on my tv, and there isn't one in the eurogamer shots

Beavertown

Garbage
ThePeacemaker02 said:
m9289x.jpg

It doesn't look like that on my 360. Not even remotely close. It actually looks identical to the pic on the left, so not sure what's going on with your 360. You running it through VGA?

Anyway, don't really see why this is a first person game. Would've played better in 3rd person and it just makes more sense with a lead like Faith IMO.

That said, it seems like a solid rental, but nothing to get too excited about. Love the art style and use of bright colors though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The red object system in conjunction with the art style is genius. A real stand out moment was when you fall through the vent and see those four guys in front of you. The whole area in front of you is basically white. You turn right to flee and you're immediately greeted with red walls. It's basically the point in the demo that made me "get" the game, everything just clicked.

I wish there was a GIF of that moment. It seems simple but in practice it is brilliant level-design.

The demo has succeeded in making me want to buy the retail version. I want to play some of the really tricky stuff (watching the scene just after the tutorial is amazing, I can't wait to pull off shit like that, I wish it was playable). That and the game appears to have high replayabililty.

Oozer3993

Scottlarock said:
after the demo, no longer hyped for this game. I HATE trail and error

It's not really trial and error. The "Runner's Vision" shows you where to go and the Time Trial stages are just slices of the story mode.

P.S. Taylor Swift in your av makes you an awesome person.

Beavertown said:
It doesn't look like that on my 360. Not even remotely close. It actually looks identical to the pic on the left, so not sure what's going on with your 360. You running it through VGA?

Same here. I've been playing it on the 360 and it looks like the left pic.

datamage

I don't get you guys with the whole 'trial & error' thing. I beat the demo without wondering where to go next, and the only times I failed was when I mistimed a jump or something.

rykomatsu

got sick and literally threw up in the course training where you jump onto a monkey bar, swing back and forth, then jump onto some vertical pipes... :/

Salazar

This thread is swinging persuasively back towards the 'YES YES YES' side of things, it seems.

Still a while until it comes out, though. Long enough to be thinking 'goddamn, - insert other game - would be fun, though'.

mxz

Awesome demo. Pre-ordered!

Nice, tight controls. Love it how you can actually fall backwards on your ass. It's one of those "oh crap, I know what this feels like" moments.

So I patiently download the demo, excitement builds, and as I attempt to install it on my PS3, I get an error code. I tried to install it again, same thing. Anyone else sharing a similar problem?

Beavertown said:

Anyway, don't really see why this is a first person game. Would've played better in 3rd person and it just makes more sense with a lead like Faith IMO.

That said, it seems like a solid rental, but nothing to get too excited about. Love the art style and use of bright colors though.

Same. Mine looks exactly like the image on the left (in terms of color) and I'm even on VGA.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks significantly better on the PS3 on my TV. The colours are SO MUCH more vibrant. Keep in mind my PS3 is connected through HDMI and my 360 through component cables. Yes the PS3 has slightly more jaggies, but ultimately it doesn't take anything away from the game, especially since you're moving around so fast.

Orange walls on my PS3 looked yellow on my 360. The game just looked somewhat more washed out.

Plus the game feels better on PS3 controller to me, the loose analogue sticks are finally redeemed! They suit the fast movement in Mirror's Edge perfectly.

The 360 version didn't have any textue load-in at the very beginning of the post-tutorial intro, wheras the PS3 does, so that's a plus for 360-only owners. That's the only time I've experienced any pop-in in either version. But to the PS3's credit, it loaded the chapter up a couple of seconds faster. The death load-times were virtually identical, although I think the 360s was just a TAD quicker (as in, less than a second).

Any multi-console owners should definately download both and try each out.

PS3 version, day one. Of course if I only owned a 360 then it would be more than adequate.

Rez>You said:
The game looks significantly better on the PS3 on my TV. Keep in mind my PS3 is connected through HDMI and my 360 through component cables. Yes the PS3 has slightly more jaggies, but ultimately it doesn't take anything away from the game. It's worth it for the more vibrant colours.

Orange walls on my PS3 looked yellow on my 360. The game just looked somewhat more washed out.

Plus the game feels better on PS3 controller to me, the loose analogue sticks are finally redeemed! They suit the fast movement in Mirror's Edge perfectly.

PS3 version, day one.

Completely agree. The controls for the PS3 feel so much more natural to me, and the colors are very balanced and the jaggies appear minimal on my screen. I don't think the jaggies are that bad and who knows, maybe the final will have some AA on PS3. X360 version just doesn't look good to me and really, the controls are just too awkward to bother.

I know it's not the world record, but after countless attempts I finally managed to get sub 47 on Edge. 46.9
Tucking your legs is really a necessary maneuver

It really isn't an opinoin based thing though, and if it differs at all for you, it's probably your TV. 360 version has slightly less jaggies, but it still has jaggies. I hope that both versions get fixed up before final, not that it would detract me from buying this game to subside my raging game boner for it.

I like it when I bank on a game when it's first shown months/years in advanced only to have it not only match my high expectations, but even exceed them by a large margin. Now I can be 2 for 2 if Infamous turns out amazing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
It really isn't an opinoin based thing though, and if it differs at all for you, it's probably your TV. 360 version has slightly less jaggies, but it still has jaggies. I hope that both versions get fixed up before final, not that it would detract me from buying this game to subside my raging game boner for it.

I like it when I bank on a game when it's first shown months/years in advanced only to have it not only match my high expectations, but even exceed them by a large margin. Now I can be 2 for 2 if Infamous turns out amazing.

Same thing I felt with Dead Space

Miburou

I had no trouble finishing the demo, but for some reason I could not get past that part in the tutorial where you have to wall jump by pressing L1, R1, L1. I kept failing even though I was sure I had done it correctly.

Really mixed feelings about this one. Played both demos, R1/L1 a tad nicer for this game than RB/LB. The game feels fresh, looks beautiful, controls fine, but something feels "off". I can't describe it.

Is it just me or is the theme song hypnotic or what - I'm listening to it now. This might be the first game I give a 10 to imo. I keep thinking about playing it and the music is the first time I actually looked for the soundtrack to a game!(that wasn't Japanese:D )

:D :D :D :D :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Rez>You said:
The game looks significantly better on the PS3 on my TV. The colours are SO MUCH more vibrant. Keep in mind my PS3 is connected through HDMI and my 360 through component cables. Yes the PS3 has slightly more jaggies, but ultimately it doesn't take anything away from the game, especially since you're moving around so fast.

The 360 version didn't have any textue load-in at the very beginning of the post-tutorial intro, wheras the PS3 does, so that's a plus for 360-only owners. That's the only time I've experienced any pop-in in either version. But to the PS3's credit, it loaded the chapter up a couple of seconds faster. The death load-times were virtually identical, although I think the 360s was just a TAD quicker (as in, less than a second).

Any multi-console owners should definately download both and try each out.

PS3 version, day one. Of course if I only owned a 360 then it would be more than adequate.
Well, that is a problem specific to your case. The 360 owners with an HDMI connection are enjoying the best of both worlds, awesome colors, and no jaggies. As a PC gamer, I am thinking about picking up the 360 version because it looks good enough and also because it allows me to be connected to XBL. If the PC version is GFWL compatible like Fallout 3 then PC it is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
godhandiscen said:
Well, that is a problem specific to your case. The 360 owners with an HDMI connection are enjoying the best of both worlds, awesome colors, and no jaggies. As a PC gamer, I am thinking about picking up the 360 version because it looks good enough and also because it allows me to be connected to XBL. If the PC version is GFWL compatible like Fallout 3 then PC it is.
To be fair, I went out of my way to make that much clear.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Slightly Off Topic... Anyone have that faked high res Mirrors Edge movie poster from a few months back?

Its the one that says "Run Free 2010" down the bottom?

godhandiscen said:

well i get the same thing and im using hdmi on both on the same monitor and i cant get the best of both worlds, so for me if i want better colors i play the ps3 demo and i if i want slighty less jaggies i play 360. but as someone said earlier its basically ps3=no AA, 360=2xAA so both still have a ton of jaggies. i hope more people put up some side by side comparisons as there is definitely something "off" on the 360 version and im trying to figure it out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I keep replaying the demo. It's insanely addictive and I can't put my finger on why that is yet.

On a side note, I feel the game should have been called something along the lines of "Runners". Mirror's Edge just doesn't grab you enough. Picky, I know, but I want this game to sell!

Riptwo

For those with major colour differences betweeen their systems, have you tried calibrating each input properly? Seems odd that there would be such drastic differences.

Also, does anyone know if EB in Canada is giving out the messenger bags with preorders? I've been getting screwed outta swag even though I preorder a zillion months in advance as of late.

Iksenpets

Banned
Rez>You said:
I keep replaying the demo. It's insanely addictive and I can't put my finger on why that is yet.

On a side note, I feel the game should have been called something along the lines of "Runners". Mirror's Edge just doesn't grab you enough. Picky, I know, but I want this game to sell!

Dude, what? Runners sounds like a stoner comedy about a track team's misadventures while on a field trip to a state competition. Mirror's Edge is an awesome title.

So, what's up with the lack of AA in the PS3 version? Does the X360 version have the same deal going on?

If both versions are going to be jagged like that, I'm just going to get this on the PC. This game requires a clean look.

Awesome demo, though. Insta-buy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Iksenpets said:
Dude, what? Runners sounds like a stoner comedy about a track team's misadventures while on a field trip to a state competition. Mirror's Edge is an awesome title.
It was an example that I thought of on the spot.

I feel Mirror's Edge isn't catchy enough. I like it, but to a casual gamer (for example a large number of my friends) it's unmemorable.

Banned
Tried both the PS3 and 360 version. No color differences. Only difference is no AA on PS3 and 2AA on 360 it seems. Everything else looks the same.

godhandiscen said:

component cables have NO trouble with colour... so i'm not sure THAT is the problem. component cables are fine.

eso76

component cables here and no diff in colors with Ps3 version (hdmi).
Also, maybe that's because my tv is a sony rptv 50", maybe it's because of component, but jaggies really aren't as pronounced as this thread made it sound; not worse than your average next gen game at all. I understand you're comparing the game with those 16x AA pr shots we've been seeing, but the game IS stunning looking, and has the best lighting i've ever seen (occlusion, photon mapping...are obviously prebaked but make a huge difference).
And it playes beautifully.
I'm impressed, considering we've seen this level a thousand times before in videos i didn't think i would be so amazed. Design, direction, soundtrack, graphics, controls...this game is a lesson in style.

Why the fuck would you lock out the time trial in DEMO to people who pre ordered the game? Stupid decision.

But I'm enjoying the game just like I thought I would, can't wait for the release.

KeioSquad2 said:
Is it just me or is the theme song hypnotic or what - I'm listening to it now. This might be the first game I give a 10 to imo. I keep thinking about playing it and the music is the first time I actually looked for the soundtrack to a game!(that wasn't Japanese:D )

:D :D :D :D :D

Oh yeah it's great

I tried both and I gotta say, I prefer the PS3 version by a margin. It just has the same "look" of all the trailers we have seen so far.

Both versions are jag-fests, but I'm not a big fan of the 360 version's bloom-ness :X

Dante

ThePeacemaker02 said:
m9289x.jpg

Interesting.....The lighting looks way off there. Can someone with Dual HDMI's take a similar grab?

NIN90

Actually, the aren't many jaggies on my PS3 demo except for the zip line at the start.
I don't know what kind of game you guys are playing.

Top Bottom