• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

gkryhewy

Sir Fragula said:
Wow, really - you think that? I managed to get to the end of Lost Odyssey - was barely able to get further than a few hours into Last Remnant.
I agree with Duckroll. Played, enjoyed, and beat both TLR and LO, and TLR was a more complete package for me.

One day Mistwalker will partner with a really good dev rather than the ok ones they've partnered with so far and I truly believe the result will be amazing.

APZonerunner said:
One day Mistwalker will partner with a really good dev rather than the ok ones they've partnered with so far and I truly believe the result will be amazing.

They've already partnered up with Feel Plus, which should considered a class A developer since the majority of the staff comes from the team that made the Shadow Hearts series.

Aru

APZonerunner said:

Maybe someday we'll see a Square-Enix developed MistWalker game :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
When (not if lol) Mistwalker closes their doors, and I have to create a thread like "Mistwalker goes out of business, who was really to blame?", their blood will not be on MY hands! :lol

j7gc9u.jpg
It will be on mine, since I got 2 of there 360 game free from Microsoft and just resold them :lol

duckroll

Aru said:
Maybe someday we'll see a Square-Enix developed MistWalker game :lol

I don't get it. If Square Enix is developing it, and they're publishing it, what would they need Mistwalker for? :p

Drkirby said:
It will be on mine, since I got 2 of there 360 game free from Microsoft and just resold them :lol

Do you not like turn based games? Genuinely curious, as I can't imagine a fan of turn based games not playing some of the last "big budget" turn based games you're going to see.

duckroll said:
I don't get it. If Square Enix is developing it, and they're publishing it, what would they need Mistwalker for? :p
Know how when you're helping a friend move, there's always that one asshole that never lifts anything and instead just stands back and says "YOU HAVE TO ROTATE IT A BIT, HOLD UP I WILL GET THE DOOR" yet still gets his share of the pizza afterward?

This is the future of the Gooch.

ethelred

cosmicblizzard said:
I couldn't get into TWEWY at all and I played more than 10 hours before giving up. Same with DQ 4 and 5 (Despite loving the genre, I just can't get into the first person battle perspective, so that eliminates EO).

The World Ends With You is an incredibly great game, and I'd say it's one of the best actionish RPGs ever made, but I do know a few people who found themselves unable to get into it for one reason or another. You still might owe yourself to give it another shot, though.

But setting that aside... you can't get into the Dragon Quest games because of the battle perspective? Really? That's just utterly baffling, and I can't really comprehend how that could impact someone's enjoyment of the game or not. It doesn't make any difference mechanically whatsoever -- it's not like first-person exploration in FPSes where the difference of the perspective would make the game entirely different in numerous ways. If the battle system in DQ were different, it would still play out mostly the same (except, as with 8 and 9, a little bit slower). How does this really prevent you from enjoying the games? I just don't get it. It's one of the most inconsequential criticisms I could imagine. :/

It is a bit like saying "I don't like an RPG because the battle menu has a red border around it."

inner-G said:
They didn't have soul.

I don't really care about how much soul Blue Dragon has or doesn't have. It has great gameplay, and that alone makes it an RPG which does not suck. I love the dungeons in that game, and I love the monster engagement mechanics and how well thought out they are. I love the FF5esque job system, and I love how well implemented elemental effects are vis a vis specific monsters in the game. Saying it sucks is retarded.

Misterinenja said:
Mention me one good SE published console game. One.

Last Remnant is most definitely a good game (it's actually quite a bit more than just good, but, well...). Dragon Quest Swords is good, though not great by any stretch. I think nearly everyone who has played it also agrees that Chocobo's Dungeon 3 is really good, too, though I haven't gotten around to playing that one yet.

It's a bit silly to narrow things down like this, though, as the bulk of Square's output hasn't been on home consoles, and they've made a ton of good-to-great handheld games this gen. Meanwhile the bulk of their home console development has been directed towards FF13, and that will without doubt be a very good game.

Sir Fragula said:
Wow, really - you think that? I managed to get to the end of Lost Odyssey - was barely able to get further than a few hours into Last Remnant.

Last Remnant doesn't have a particular great story, but the gameplay is phenomenal. The battle system, evolution mechanics, the quest system, the dungeons, and so on -- it's wonderfully designed and a real joy to play. That game offered me some of the most impressive and surprising big setpiece battles of any turn-based RPG I can think of in recent years.

It's unfortunate how many western reviewers slagged on it for fairly minor technical issues, but for anyone that enjoys turn-based RPGs for their gameplay, the game really has a lot to offer.

Aru said:
Well, for game design.

But in what instances does Square outsource game design to another company? They very often outsource development to companies like Jupiter or h.a.n.d. or Matrix, but in each of those cases, the games are still overseen and designed by Square developers. I can't think of a single case in which Square has programmed a game but given the actual design role to another developer... unless you, like, want to count Chrono Trigger, which was a bit of a special case in having an outside designer come on board, and even then it was a collaborative effort.

It's just kind of a sily theory.

Aru

ethelred said:
But in what instances does Square outsource game design to another company? They very often outsource development to companies like Jupiter or h.a.n.d. or Matrix, but in each of those cases, the games are still overseen and designed by Square developers. I can't think of a single case in which Square has programmed a game but given the actual design role to another developer... unless you, like, want to count Chrono Trigger, which was a bit of a special case in having an outside designer come on board, and even then it was a collaborative effort.

It's just kind of a sily theory.

Well, I know that already.
I was just joking :/

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
gregor7777 said:
Do you not like turn based games? Genuinely curious, as I can't imagine a fan of turn based games not playing some of the last "big budget" turn based games you're going to see.
No, I do enjoy turned based games, I just couldn't get into them. Well, I should say Blue Dragon at least, Lost Odyssey got sold still sealed when I cut my 360 collection in half. I'll most likely give Blue Dragon anther chance in a few years, and I do still want to play Lost Odyssey so I'll most likely buy a used copy once I have a chance.

You know, in retrospect, I never really played any of the games I got for free from club live. Heck, Blue Dragon was the only one I ever even got around to opening.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
Know how when you're helping a friend move, there's always that one asshole that never lifts anything and instead just stands back and says "YOU HAVE TO ROTATE IT A BIT, HOLD UP I WILL GET THE DOOR" yet still gets his share of the pizza afterward?

This is the future of the Gooch.

Goddamn, and I've been the one paying for the pizza each time! Fuck! :lol

Razien

Banned
bloodforge said:
The manga is based on the game, well, loosely based.

I think they probably made a new manga based on the game/anime, or else you are wrong.
The manga came first, the anime and game were made loosely based on the manga, and then the manga had to be cancelled because it was too different. I read the manga long before any of both came out, and I read fan translation, which took long to be made.

No human being with any notion of taste would prefer the new BD compared to the real one. There must be something wrong.

EDIT: OK, I got it. You are talking about Blue Dragon Secret Trick. This is crap. The Real Blue Dreagon is Ral Grado. The anime was Ral Grado transformed into an abomination by Toriyama, and taken along by Sakaguchi to the game. Then, they cancelled Ral Grado and made the even shittier-than-the-anime-and-game Secret Trick.

God, so sad people don't know the real deal...

Peff

If you guys are talking about Ral Omega Grad, that came after the game. It started the month after the game was released, followed by the anime a few months later, and it was just part of the marketing campaign MS set up for the game (since it was Obata's next manga after Death Note).

duckroll

Razien said:

Yes, I agree. It's pretty sad when people think that Ral Grad is the "original" when it's just another fanservice filled nonsense spin off commissioned to promote the game. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Razien said:
I think they probably made a new manga based on the game/anime, or else you are wrong.
The manga came first, the anime and game were made loosely based on the manga, and then the manga had to be cancelled because it was too different. I read the manga long before any of both came out, and I read fan translation, which took long to be made.

No human being with any notion of taste would prefer the new BD compared to the real one. There must be something wrong.

EDIT: OK, I got it. You are talking about Blue Dragon Secret Trick. This is crap. The Real Blue Dreagon is Ral Grado. The anime was Ral Grado transformed into an abomination by Toriyama, and taken along by Sakaguchi to the game. Then, they cancelled Ral Grado and made the even shittier-than-the-anime-and-game Secret Trick.

The game came first. The anime adaption and two mangas were produced as part of the marketing campaign for the game and came out shortly after Blue Dragon the game. Ral Grado wasn't like the game on purpose as it was Secret Trick that purposely followed the game. Also Secret Trick didn't replace Ral Grado as they came out at the same time. Indeed, the reason Ral Grado got cancelled is because it stunk in the ratings.

Quazar

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/creator_eng/pg141.html

Little late on this but who cares, right?

Watanabe said:
93n95D38ECA905E1020.jpg

Watanabe
Artist of Mistwalker

I work as an artist at Mistwalker. I'm spending my days very fulfilled by creating many arts. In fact, the way I got this opportunity to work for Mistwalker is interesting.

I have experience creating art for animation. One day, I went to buy lunch at convenience store as I usually do. But for some reason, the store was really crowded that day and the line to the register was really long. So I decided to kill time and started leafing through the game magazines. That's when I found the ad.

" Wanted! Concept Artist "

The main article of the page was about Mr. Sakaguchi starting his new company Mistwalker. And this ad was on a corner of that page. I lined up to pay at the register with my lunch and this magazine in my hand. For some reason I was really attracted to that page.

It's been 5 years. I'm here creating art having such a fulfilled days because of the ad I found at the convenience store. I created many arts responding to the ad and I don't know why but I quit animation industry a week later. Even before I was hired at Miswalker. If I think about it now, I saw light at the end of the tunnel and I rushed towards it.

I was determined that time. I am doing my best now remembering how I was determined back then and keep running towards the light.

By the way, the page from that magazine is still displayed on a wall in my room.
So I will never forget how determined I was at that time.

Pretty cool story. I wish I knew what was on that computer screen.

Looks like we'll hear more of this project around Spring time.

Hironobu Sakaguchi blogged, he won’t be able to discuss the game he’s working on before the year ends. He thought he could, but he can’t and apologized for the delay.

Sakaguchi says he should be able to talk about his new work around spring next year.

Last year, right around the same time, Sakaguchi said his new project was half way through a large scale project that he was putting 120% of his emotions into.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/20/mistwalkers-new-game-to-be-announced-around-springtime/

So is this going to be the classic "the game is coming out next week!!" Mistwalker approach to marketing that has REALLY WORKED OUT WELL for them in the past? :lol

Peff

I wonder if it'll be a Natal RPG considering the control stuff Sakaguchi mentioned and the date of the reveal. It would certainly help with the Japanese launch

/wild speculation

Really looking forward to it :D

Rad-

Peff said:
I wonder if it'll be a Natal RPG considering the control stuff Sakaguchi mentioned and the date of the reveal. It would certainly help with the Japanese launch

/wild speculation

Really looking forward to it :D

He mentioned that control stuff way before Natal got announced tho. So it might be Wii game as well. There was that Wii kit too.

But I hope it's for 360. Because I want more HD JRPGs.
And I don't own Wii.

Rad- said:
He mentioned that control stuff way before Natal got announced tho. So it might be Wii game as well. There was that Wii kit too.

But I hope it's for 360. Because I want more HD JRPGs.
And I don't own Wii.

But that doesn't mean Natal started development right then and there. I'm sure MS was courting developers long before Natal was announced.

He hinted they had 2 games in development. He hinted at the controls having a trick to one game and they had Wii dev kits so I think one is a Wii game. The other might be PS3/360. Or at least it should be and not just exclusive to one of them, especially the 360.

Bel Marduk said:
He hinted they had 2 games in development. He hinted at the controls having a trick to one game and they had Wii dev kits so I think one is a Wii game. The other might be PS3/360. Or at least it should be and not just exclusive to one of them, especially the 360.

Huh, I didn't know they're making two.

I'm just going to guess that the art above belongs to the possible PS3/360 game, and that the potential Wii one is something unknown. I've been thinking that AWAY would make an interesting Wii game. Artoon will probably have to finish up Span Smasher before though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
clashfan said:
How many copies of Lost Odessey and Blue Dragon sold on the PS3?

They didn't, because Microsoft owns the IPs. Blue Dragon on the DS was with Microsoft's permission.

Nif

BlazingDarkness said:
I don't think making it unavailable on the only console which has FFXIII/XIV/VersusXIII would do it any favors

0 consoles have FFXIII/XIV/VersusXIII :lol

Nif said:
0 consoles have FFXIII/XIV/VersusXIII :lol

And here I thought FF XIII released last Thursday.

The truth is the PS3 is more receptive to RPGs than the 360 so not making one of their games for PS3 ALONGSIDE a 360 version would be stupid.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Bel Marduk said:

The truth is the PS3 is more receptive to RPGs than the 360 so not making one of their games for PS3 ALONGSIDE a 360 version would be stupid.

My PS3 is also receptive to First Person Shooting Games and Strategy games. After all, it is an intimate object that accepts anything it is programmed to do.

The PS3 market on the other hand......

Do you guys really doubt a PS3 RPG will sell better than a 360 one in Japan especially when it has a bigger JRPG userbase in Japan before and now with FF XIII? :lol In the West it's a toss up but I see no reason why a multiplat PS3 RPG would sell worse than the 360 version when no examples come to mind. Not like a multiplat PS3 and 360 game is something new.

Bel Marduk said:

Depends on if MS is publishing/marketing/funding. If so, then it would be stupid.

Darth Tigris said:
Depends on if MS is publishing/marketing/funding. If so, then it would be stupid.

Well, yeah. If MS is doing that it wouldn't be on the PS3 anyway. But I'm assuming if that's not the case then yes, it's smart to do that.

Keikoku

Banned
Who cares ? The game isn't even announced. If you want to play Mistwalker games then just buy a 360 instead of whining on forums.

Keikoku

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I enjoyed BD on 360 more. Although I watche a friend play through most of it.

I thought that BD was average at best. I played Ashe too, it was just terrible.
LO, on the other hand, was really great. It felt just like a FF from the PSone era.

Quazar

So couple updates from site:

It's cold...  2009.12.20
Sakaguchi said:
This is a Sunday without any schedules. This is the scenery from the window of my hotel. It's beautiful, but it seems really cold. But, anyway it's cold.
I'm staying in Tokyo. For meeting regarding new project had went well and also finished the year-end party with everyone from Mistwalker safely (I say "safely" because sometimes an injury can occur). What's left is the production meeting and year-end thank you night with my lawyer. I have a plan to drink with my best friend from junior high school... This is probably the true year-end party for me.

This year has also past double-quick faster than last year.
Time seems to be accelerating faster since I have passed 40. According to my superior, time seems to accelerate more when you are 50 or 60 years old. Life is too short.
That's why I drink alcohol... No, just kidding (^^;
That's why I create my work ... That's the correct answer.

I was planning to announce my new project within this year but it's a little late. Sorry about that.
I imagine announcement will be starting around next spring.
But I'm working really hard on this.
The title is also decided.
Anyway I'm concentrating on creating something really good!

I am working on condensing valuable time of my short life and the valuable energy of my staff without any regrets.

Our Year-End Party
When the alcohol goes in and the voice gets hoarse...  2009.12.24

Sakaguchi said:
The year-end party of 2009.

During the busy time with new project, we still went ahead and had our annual year-end party. Atmosphere was full of drinking and relief due to distinct December franticness. Addition to that the alcohol is somehow gaining speed and going down quite well. Well, Thanks to everyone for their hard work. Let’s do our best again next year!

By the way, at the party in Tokyo, we started to play "Sevens" card games for some reason after singing ”karaoke”. It shows our personality doesn’t it? By the way, I was yelled at for biding continuously “passing 3 times” just being annoying(^^;

Mistwalker staffs all have brilliant minds and our development staffs of the new project, also have the ability and motivation. How could I do this without them? I owe my success to everyone around me.
Best thing is, I Love working with them!
By all means, I appreciate all your continued support.

Pics!
bou3.JPG

bou4.JPG

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are we sure this is in-fact a console title ? and if so, will this be a 360 exclusive ?

Top Bottom