• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
I don't think they have the money to fund game development...
Yeah I rather doubt it.

I wonder if it might be EA Japan though.

When they were explaining their Japanese publishing strategy back at TGS, they mentioned they were trying to publish developers that had broken off from major publishers to make their own companies, and thus might not get published by other Japanese publishers.

The only issue I can see there is that EA Japan doesn't seem to have any actual development staff anymore, so they'd need to be convinced to publish whoever Mistwalker is working with as well.

duckroll

You should stop looking at top publishers, and start looking in the gutter, for that is where you will find Sakaguchi and his friends. I will suggest the following possibilities:

- MMV
- 5pb
- Spike

:lol

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

Don't be absurd. Atlus isn't retarded enough to publish something which won't sell. :p

You gotta wonder exactly how does Suckaguchi trick people into giving him monies.

duckroll

jett said:
You gotta wonder exactly how does Suckaguchi trick people into giving him monies.

I'm starting to think maybe we are the ones who are being tricked into believing people are giving him money in the first place. Maybe pays for all the development out of his own pocket, and then pays a publisher a small fee to help him publish a game. Which explains why none of his games have any marketing whatsoever! :lol

duckroll said:
You should stop looking at top publishers, and start looking in the gutter, for that is where you will find Sakaguchi and his friends. I will suggest the following possibilities:

- MMV
- 5pb
- Spike

:lol

stop it stop it stop it!! ;_;

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:
I'm starting to think maybe we are the ones who are being tricked into believing people are giving him money in the first place. Maybe pays for all the development out of his own pocket, and then pays a publisher a small fee to help him publish a game. Which explains why none of his games have any marketing whatsoever! :lol

aw snap

i'm not sure if i should feel sorry for the guy, he's the main(only) reason the squaresoft I knew and loved doesn't exist today. He was probably better off staying at his eternal vacation in Hawaii. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Well, he did say he was "betting a lot" on this new title, so perhaps he actually went into quite a bit of debt with it.

I'm getting the feeling that if this game bombs Mistwalker will go bankrupt. It'll be interesting to see where Sakaguchi goes if that actually happens though. Perhaps having him work for someone that looks over his projects might make them more financially viable.

Nirolak said:
Well, he did say he was "betting a lot" on this new title, so perhaps he actually went into quite a bit of debt with it.

I'm getting the feeling that if this game bombs Mistwalker will go bankrupt. It'll be interesting to see where Sakaguchi goes if that actually happens though. Perhaps having him work for someone that looks over his projects might make them more financially viable.

unless he is terrible with money, i'm sure he'd be safe to retire. final fantasy must have netted him quite a bit of money....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FateBreaker said:
unless he is terrible with money, i'm sure he'd be safe to retire. final fantasy must have netted him quite a bit of money....
The question is more if he actually wants to retire if this game bombs or if he would keep going and try again.

If nothing else, he is very persistent.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:

Well, he did sell off all his shares in AQ Interactive. Found that out recently. So maybe he did need money...

FateBreaker said:

Would producing one of the biggest box office bombs in history constitue as "terrible with money" or are we just talking about money unrelated to work?

Seriously, it breaks my heart seeing the man that was once my favorite developer like this. I hope one day he finds the success he found with Square. I don't care how old he is or if he should retire, I don't trust the new generation of developers anywhere near as much as I trust the Gooch.

duckroll

When (not if lol) Mistwalker closes their doors, and I have to create a thread like "Mistwalker goes out of business, who was really to blame?", their blood will not be on MY hands! :lol

j7gc9u.jpg

Aru

duckroll said:
When (not if lol) Mistwalker closes their doors, and I have to create a thread like "Mistwalker goes out of business, who was really to blame?", their blood will not be on MY hands! :lol

j7gc9u.jpg

Well, Mistwalker ain't Square Enix.
Even if S-E did a lot of FF and DQ sequels and spin-offs, their games are still better than the MW ones.

Shiggy

duckroll said:

[/QUOTE]

It certainly is! Where is your copy of Blue Dragon Plus?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ether_Snake said:
Also, Sakaguchi is in the new Kingdom Hearts game on PSP as a character. Pretty cool:D (Kotaku had a scan).
I just saw it, I think that's awesome. Also duckroll's blinding negativity really sets a tone for this thread. /sadfaec

ethelred

cosmicblizzard said:
RPG fan=Pessimist. This generation sucks :(

Hasn't sucked for me! I've had a great time with RPGs this year and as I've said often enough before, I think 2010 is going to be one of the best RPG years in at least a decade.

(though it is disappointing that there will never be a proper Blue Dragon 2)

cosmicblizzard said:
RPG fan=Pessimist. This generation sucks :(

Did you try Lost Odyssey? Did you try Blue Dragon? Did you try Fable II? Did you try Demon Souls? Did you try Mass Effect? Did you try Tales of Vesperia? Did you try MagnaCarta 2 (no, no one has, too bad)? Have you tried World Ends with You? Have you tried Crisis Core? Have you tried Fallout 3? Have you tried Oblivion? Have you tried Etrian Odyssey? Have you tried Dragon Quest DS 4 and 5? Have you tried Final Fantasy IV remake? Have you tried Star Ocean The Last Hope while ignoring the story?

If you did and you still say this, then I worry for you.

PSGames

I don't understand why MS hasn't funded a Lost Odyssey sequel. It's the best selling JRPG released so far with like 1 Million sold.

inner-G

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Crisis Core was awesome.

So was the FFI remake. Handhelds have had it good, Consoles have definitely been lacking though. Lost Odyssey was pretty damn good, but there's a reason that I've put more hours into Persona 3 + 4 this gen than any HD games.

Hopefully after FF XIII, there will be a bigger HD console (J)RPG market presence and more games will start to be announced.

FateBreaker said:
Did you try Lost Odyssey? Did you try Blue Dragon? Did you try Fable II? Did you try Demon Souls? Did you try Mass Effect? Did you try Tales of Vesperia? Did you try MagnaCarta 2 (no, no one has, too bad)? Have you tried World Ends with You? Have you tried Crisis Core? Have you tried Fallout 3? Have you tried Oblivion? Have you tried Etrian Odyssey? Have you tried Dragon Quest DS 4 and 5? Have you tried Final Fantasy IV remake? Have you tried Star Ocean The Last Hope while ignoring the story?

I'd like more time with LO (lack a 360) as I would with BD though I hated the 3 hours I played of the latter. Also need more time with Vesperia and Star Ocean. Fable 2 is boring to me (I don't play WRPGs, probably should've specified just JRPGs) so I can't imagine Demon's Soul being much different (though I would like to try it). Same goes for Mass Effect and Fallout 3. I couldn't get into TWEWY at all and I played more than 10 hours before giving up. Same with DQ 4 and 5 (Despite loving the genre, I just can't get into the first person battle perspective, so that eliminates EO). Crisis Core was okay,not great. Final Fantasy 4 remake was...well it was awesome, but it's also a 15 year old game.

I also should've specified console and turn-based. The shortage is killing me and it's affecting my interest in the hobby overall. I really hope my friend letting me borrow his 360 changes that, but I don't expect it to.

This might be a lot to ask so my bad if it is but I just finished reading this thread and am having trouble understanding what's for real and what is just speculation.

Is Mistwalker really looking bad? Did MS really pass on their next game? etc...

Can someone summarize what's happening here...

-Pyromaniac- said:
This might be a lot to ask so my bad if it is but I just finished reading this thread and am having trouble understanding what's for real and what is just speculation.

Is Mistwalker really looking bad? Did MS really pass on their next game? etc...

Can someone summarize what's happening here...

it's really all conjecture.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fimbulvetr said:
And the unavoidable battles, and the invisible walls around said battles, and Gackt.
Gackt, Genesis, belts, they all go hand in hand. I forgot about the battle stuff considering I hated the combat for the most part and waded through it for the Cissnei cutscenes.

I really want to see the Gooch's next project. ._.

Razien

Banned
FateBreaker said:

Blue Dragon and Oblivion suck.
I still don't get why they went with this abomination of anime-based blue dragon and not the original (kickass) manga. They changed it COMPLETELY, and made it suck.

Razien said:
I still don't get why they went with this abomination of anime-based blue dragon and not the original (kickass) manga. They changed it COMPLETELY, and made it suck.

Blue Dragon does not suck.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Plywood said:
So he's the abusive one in this relationship?
You may be in an abusive relationship if he or she:
  • Claims you are responsible for his or her emotional state.
  • Blames you when he or she mistreats you.
  • Has a history of bad relationships.
  • Makes "jokes" that shame, humiliate, demean or embarrass you, weather privately or around family and friends.
  • You leave and then return to your partner repeatedly, against the advice of your friends, family and loved ones.
  • You have trouble ending the relationship, even though you know inside it's the right thing to do.

Poor Gooch :'(

Razien said:
What are you even talking about?

Razien said:

The manga is based on the game, well, loosely based.

topramen

whatever happened to the idea he was making a wii game?
If thats true, and he is entering the "finishing stage" without us knowing about it, could it be for nintendo?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Blue Dragon is my favorite JRPG this gen for home consoles. It's the only game I kept for the 360 when I sold it to my sister, that way I'll still have it when I rebuy it eventually at a cheaper price.

It sucks Mistwalker hasn't had success, I was really hoping they'd become an RPG powerhouse like Square-Enix to offer competition. SE has sucked major ever since they merged (outside of mainstread DQ and FF that is, and even then that's debatable).

Aru said:
The Blue Dragon anime is the superior BD product. Better story, better battles and better music.

Really? Even with the added well-endowed chick who's constantly stripping to "turn invisible" and Marumaro the panty thief?

Aru said:
Well, Mistwalker ain't Square Enix.
Even if S-E did a lot of FF and DQ sequels and spin-offs, their games are still better than the MW ones.

Bullshit. MW games beat everything Square-Enix published on consoles this gen.

Microsoft must have lost a huge amount of money on LO. I can't imagine how, but they must have.

Otherwise I think we would have seen talk of a sequel by now. It is the best selling console JRPG this gen after all. That doesn't say a whole heck of a lot, but if they won't support the best seller, there must be absolutely no confidence in the genre at all as far as getting their investment back.

Shame, really. I still love you Gooch. Don't listen to Duckroll, he has a black heart. Cold and black.

though, I didn't buy your DS games my man. I heard they're shit. From Duckroll :lol

Dra-Q said:
Reaaaally?
Well, he did say "on consoles this gen", which makes it Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon vs. Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, DQ Swords, Final Fantasy IV the Blunder Years, Star Ocean, and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon.

So if you go tit for tat it's probably about even, if you add em up and average em, MW wins, and if you prefer shitty Tri-ace games, well, SE all the way.

Including the handheld stuff from this gen doesn't work out so favorably for MW though.

duckroll

Misterinenja said:
Mention me one good SE published console game. One.

Ok Japanese platinium version of Call of Duty 4 doesn't count.

The Last Remnant is a better game than anything Mistwalker has designed. And I say that as someone who has played and beaten pretty much every single Mistwalker game! I think where Mistwalker fails is that they're just a design studio. Sakaguchi doesn't have that much control over the quality of the developers he works with, and honestly I don't think he really gives a fuck, given how he doesn't even live in Japan. I like his ideas and concepts, which is why I still buy their games, but as far as actual production goes, they's always awfully unpolished and there isn't really much attention to detail or cohesiveness.

RurouniZel said:
Blue Dragon is my favorite JRPG this gen for home consoles. It's the only game I kept for the 360 when I sold it to my sister, that way I'll still have it when I rebuy it eventually at a cheaper price.

It sucks Mistwalker hasn't had success, I was really hoping they'd become an RPG powerhouse like Square-Enix to offer competition. SE has sucked major ever since they merged (outside of mainstread DQ and FF that is, and even then that's debatable).

I still own Blue Dragon as well, but havent really got far in the game at all and unlikely to go back. I remember trying to Perfect the first Wagon Protection segment over and over to at least get one fucking achievement in the game, but no luck, and after getting to the Castle I quit soon after.

As for Mistwalker, its hard not to see them as completely doooooomed. DS failure after DS failure doesn't inspire confidence for anyone picking up an HD or console title from them. Theyve gone beyond Sega in "forgetting to advertise your fucking game" stakes.

As for a SE contender, I'd say it has to be Level 5 these days. WKC a mis-step, but between the next Professor Layton, The Another World, Carboard Senki and Ushiro they seem to have really got their shit together again.

Dra-Q

Banned
duckroll said:
The Last Remnant is a better game than anything Mistwalker has designed. And I say that as someone who has played and beaten pretty much every single Mistwalker game! I think where Mistwalker fails is that they're just a design studio. Sakaguchi doesn't have that much control over the quality of the developers he works with, and honestly I don't think he really gives a fuck, given how he doesn't even live in Japan. I like his ideas and concepts, which is why I still buy their games, but as far as actual production goes, they's always awfully unpolished and there isn't really much attention to detail or cohesiveness.

Pretty much what I wanted to answer.

Walshicus

duckroll said:
The Last Remnant is a better game than anything Mistwalker has designed. And I say that as someone who has played and beaten pretty much every single Mistwalker game!
Wow, really - you think that? I managed to get to the end of Lost Odyssey - was barely able to get further than a few hours into Last Remnant.

SecretBonusPoint said:
As for a SE contender, I'd say it has to be Level 5 these days. WKC a mis-step, but between the next Professor Layton, The Another World, Carboard Senki and Ushiro they seem to have really got their shit together again.

I agree. I disagree with Last Remnant praise but different strokes I guess.

Top Bottom