• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

Quazar

Kittonwy said:
My question is can they truly rely on Sakaguchi's name recognition to sell games? And what has happened between Sakaguchi and Sony? Sony has remained relatively friendly with Jun Iwasaki even after Iwasaki left Square, why didn't Sakaguchi approach Sony to develop a RPG? Does this have anything to do with Square-Enix?

You're asking questions no one here knows.

Nolan.

Kittonwy said:
My question is can they truly rely on Sakaguchi's name recognition to sell games? And what has happened between Sakaguchi and Sony? Sony has remained relatively friendly with Jun Iwasaki even after Iwasaki left Square, why didn't Sakaguchi approach Sony to develop a RPG? Does this have anything to do with Square-Enix?

Probably personal issues between him and kutaragi thats stretch way back. Having said that Kutaragi seemed to rub a lot of people up the wrong way. Which is probably one of the reasons he got cut. Moreover it probably runs deeper than that since sakaguchi seems uninterested still. Or maybe he's just stubborn, i'd like to see them branch out and not be so restricted.

Nolan. said:
Probably personal issues between him and kutaragi thats stretch way back. Having said that Kutaragi seemed to rub a lot of people up the wrong way. Which is probably one of the reasons he got cut. Moreover it probably runs deeper than that since sakaguchi seems uninterested still. Or maybe he's just stubborn, i'd like to see them branch out and not be so restricted.
Business is business is business. I doubt personal feeling towards anyone has anything to do with the PR and business decisions we see. More than likely Sony just wasn't willing to pay him the start up money, while MS was, and of course Sakaguchi is going to talk up the platform he's developing for, that's a natural outcome of exclusivity. As for Kutaragi being let go, that's a natural outcome for a failed project's leader.

Kittonwy said:

Microsoft probably offered the money first or was maybe the only one willing to invest the money into getting them up and running. Didn't Microsoft help establish Feel Plus or play a part?

Mefisu, what are you calling a failed project? Hopefully it isn't the PS3 because nothing that has MGS4 should be called a failed project :)

icecream

Public Health Threat
CowboyAstronaut said:
Oh shit :eek: Mistwalker jumping into PS3 development too? That would be awesome. I don't care which console they make games for as long as they make them.
feelPlus+ not Mistwalker. And as they're a part of AQI, which does multiplatform games, hardly surprising.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Rpgmonkey said:
Wasn't there like a story or something about this guy that was undercover or something and met this woman?

I forgot where it came from, but it sounds like what they're working on.
That was just a short story on one of Mistwalker's columns, with the picture by the artist for CryOn. It probably is not related to any project.

stotch said:
Aren't you supposed to read the op? Cry On is real time, the "update entry" lists real time as one of their new goals. Super-traditional Mystwalker are trying their best to get sales and you ignore it to run your standard shtick.

AND ITAGAKI WILL HALP THEM WITH THAT REAL TIME

madhtr said:
Only problem, they haven't developed anything.

This is true, and I think a large contributing factor in why their track record so far is so spotty.

Blue Dragon is a choppy, sluggish mess of a game and surprise, it's made by Artoon, a company that has never made a good game. And ASH is bloated, ugly and stupidly slow and again, farmed out to Racjin, whose history is only a little better. Lost Odyssey is a good game 'cos they actually farmed it out to a dev house with a decent track record. Hopefully they've learned from this.

Quazar

So a small update but he does mention a next-gen game in a sense:

Sakaguchi said:
Right now, I’m making a game and I’m going through quite a bit of trial and error. My main objective will be to not be embarrassed in calling it the ‘next gen’ RPG. While characters, maps and other essentials are developed in parallel, the game system is tweaked daily. It’s been going on for a year. Feels like it never ends…but there should be a solution ahead. I’m starting to see it a bit. Finally.

After tiring myself over these thoughts, I build Legos.....

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg94.html

Mudo

God it's great to hear ANYTHING from him at this point. I've been worried that the company had been secretly disbanded or something. I'm one of the (seemingly) few who loved both BD and LO and I can not wait to see what he has for us next.

xintin

Kafel said:
After Indy, Star Wars, Batman, Banjo ... Lego will invade the RPG. :' (
no no no, it's the first lego sim for consoles. only the current gen of consoles can provide the proper physics for this and it's finally happening!!~!

which is great, because those damn tubs never have enough blocks to build anything great.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Even if it's old, it's still just good to hear him say something about a new project. I hope Mistwalker doesn't go under =/

Quazar

Zoso said:
Even if it's old, it's still just good to hear him say something about a new project. I hope Mistwalker doesn't go under =/

It's not ancient by any means. Figure I'd give an update, I don't remember seeing it posted. But than again I stopped entering Mistwalker doomsday threads. The last update I remember was in July on English site, and that was images. I looked during TGS and nothing new. So at the most a couple months old. And his newest blog isn't anything game related, it's about his daughters birthday. :lol

duckroll

Quazar said:
It's not ancient by any means. Figure I'd give an update, I don't remember seeing it posted. But than again I stopped entering Mistwalker doomsday threads. The last update I remember was in July on English site, and that was images. I looked during TGS and nothing new. So at the most a couple months old. And his newest blog isn't anything game related, it's about his daughters birthday. :lol

That blog post is very important. It gives us insight into his view on life, and reminds us once again that even though he feels the present is fleeting and he has to seize the day, he has still not announced a major title for 3 years now. After announcing Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey in mid-05, and Cry On in Dec 05, he hasn't announced a major new project since. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are both completed and out now, and all the DS games have bombed, and Cry On is still nowhere to be seen.

I am sad. I want to know which developer is handling the new Blue Dragon DS, and I want to know how much of a part Sakaguchi is taking again. I don't have much hope that Cry On hasn't been canned. I want more Mistwalker games, especially traditional JRPGs on next-gen systems. I shed a tear for Sakaguchi. I hope for all our sakes that Sakaguchi's daughter just REALLY likes pizza, because otherwise it sounds like the checks haven't been coming in, and he's having to eat at cheaper places now. :(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
duckroll said:
That blog post is very important. It gives us insight into his view on life, and reminds us once again that even though he feels the present is fleeting and he has to seize the day, he has still not announced a major title for 3 years now. After announcing Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey in mid-05, and Cry On in Dec 05, he hasn't announced a major new project since. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are both completed and out now, and all the DS games have bombed, and Cry On is still nowhere to be seen.

I am sad. I want to know which developer is handling the new Blue Dragon DS, and I want to know how much of a part Sakaguchi is taking again. I don't have much hope that Cry On hasn't been canned. I want more Mistwalker games, especially traditional JRPGs on next-gen systems. I shed a tear for Sakaguchi. I hope for all our sakes that Sakaguchi's daughter just REALLY likes pizza, because otherwise it sounds like the checks haven't been coming in, and he's having to eat at cheaper places now. :(

So you think if I wait a few more years I'll be able to meet Sakaguchi just by flying out to Hawaii and hanging out at a dumpster behind a 7-11?

Quazar

duckroll said:

goddamn man :lol :lol :lol

duckroll

ixix said:
So you think if I wait a few more years I'll be able to meet Sakaguchi just by flying out to Hawaii and hanging out at a dumpster behind a 7-11?

No I don't think so. Wait a few more years and you'll likely find Sakaguchi on the beach all day, and in the evenings his daughter will be back from work to pick him up and bitch about why he isn't producing games anymore to help support the payment of bills. :p

In all seriousness though, it does sound like Mistwalker still has several active projects going on, and some are next-gen games. It's possible that they just took a careful look at the way they announced ASH and Cry On way too early and ended up hurting the fanbase when there is no news for years. It's too bad that BD+ and Away turned out so badly, but the new BD for the DS will be something to watch for this weekend at Jump Festa.

COME ON MY FELLOW MISTWALKER FANS, WE MUST KEEP THE FAITH! :O

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
No I don't think so. Wait a few more years and you'll likely find Sakaguchi on the beach all day, and in the evenings his daughter will be back from work to pick him up and bitch about why he isn't producing games anymore to help support the payment of bills. :p

In all seriousness though, it does sound like Mistwalker still has several active projects going on, and some are next-gen games. It's possible that they just took a careful look at the way they announced ASH and Cry On way too early and ended up hurting the fanbase when there is no news for years. It's too bad that BD+ and Away turned out so badly, but the new BD for the DS will be something to watch for this weekend at Jump Festa.

COME ON MY FELLOW MISTWALKER FANS, WE MUST KEEP THE FAITH! :O

Away is good :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blah blah blah, the Japanese devs always go on and on about "ideas" and "yes I'd like to make it happen one day if it is possible yes". Let's see something!

Next thing you know Kojima is not gonna be making the next MGS!

We already heard many times about potential MW projects but there has been nothing in a while really.

harSon

Banned
duckroll said:
I meant in terms of sales, sorry. Away sold like 1900 in the first week in Japan. That's not just bad, that's plain unprofitable.

Their handheld games in general have sold horribly, didn't ASH bomb despite having decent advertising by Nintendo?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
duckroll said:

Back when I was younger I figured Sakaguchi was twelve feet tall, could fly, and fired lightning from his fingertips.

The dream is truly dead.

duckroll

harSon said:
Their handheld games in general have sold horribly, didn't ASH bomb despite having decent advertising by Nintendo?

Well, Nintendo shipped 200k, that was a huge mistake. The game itself managed to eventually sell off a big amount of that but at drastically reduced prices (lol 900yen lol). Yeah it was a pretty big failure in the market, and a really poor bet on Nintendo's part. Announcing the game and then disappearing for 2 years didn't help the credibility of the game either. :/

duckroll said:
Well, Nintendo shipped 200k, that was a huge mistake. The game itself managed to eventually sell off a big amount of that but at drastically reduced prices (lol 900yen lol). Yeah it was a pretty big failure in the market, and a really poor bet on Nintendo's part. Announcing the game and then disappearing for 2 years didn't help the credibility of the game either. :/

Duck, Just from your expert knowledge - why has Mistwalker just been beaten down over and over again in terms of sales from everything since Lost Odyssey?

I mean their games have advertising yet now sell far less then the ridiculous ESCAPE THE ROOM flash-made budget games.

besides possibly get a better developer to up game quality, i really don't see what they could do differently in the marketing department

Boulayman

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I really besides possibly get a better developer to up game quality, don't see what they could do differently in the marketing department.

That's the thing, most people seem to forget that there are two sides to the marketing department. It's not just helping you promote the game AFTER you have made it. A good marketing department is also supposed to be telling you what kind of games the market want and will be successful in the current gaming climate. It has to be a driving force behind the development of the game...

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Duck, Just from your expert knowledge - why has Mistwalker just been beaten down over and over again in terms of sales from everything since Lost Odyssey?

I mean their games have advertising yet are now far less then the ridiculous ESCAPE THE ROOM flash-made budget games.

I really besides possibly get a better developer to up game quality, don't see what they could do differently in the marketing department.

The simple answer is that Mistwalker is not a household brand name. We know Sakaguchi, but millions of potential customers only know Squaresoft and Square Enix. He's basically starting from square 1 again with Mistwalker, and in a much more saturated market with many more established players than before, and in a most more volatile economy and market. It's hard times.

Vinnk

harSon said:

It got a fair advertising push (TV ads, magazine, ect) but it all started like only 2 weeks before it was released and took most people by surprise. I for one thought it was cancelled and then all of a sudden its on sale.

I enjoyed the game I just wish they hadn't made everything stylus based and I wish I hadn't bought it day one. 2 months later it was selling in my town brand new for 500yen.

As long as MSFT keep believing in their endeavors with Japanese developers. Then they'll keep a close arm with MW. MSFT's Japan boss recently said rpgs is integral to xbox japanese business.

If they can fund another Ninety Nine Nights game with Feelplus. They sure as hell can fund another or a few Mistwalker developments. Hopefully Sak will be at the GDC next year. After SO4 MSFT's japanese rpg stable will be dry with no new developments on the horizon.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
I have gotten more enjoyment out of Lost Odyssey than I have in Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant combined.

Both of them, while being above average, had a flat feel for me. LO felt like it had more life; the world felt more genuine.

I want Mistwalker to keep on fighting; they know the ways of the RPG. (not saying that square don't, but as I said about IU and LR.)

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
duckroll said:
I meant in terms of sales, sorry. Away sold like 1900 in the first week in Japan. That's not just bad, that's plain unprofitable.

lol, I just saw ASH for 500 yen and picked it up for the hell of it.

Quazar

Update from Sakaguchi

Sakaguchi said:
Something New

New Project Finally Half Way Through

I’ve finally reached half way up the mountain in regards to the latest project I’m on. Of course, there is a lot of work left to do, but I feel it’s approaching something I wanted to achieve. I’m betting a lot on this project.

Oh, and I have an announcement.....
the project, “Cry On,” is no longer in production. I had a lot of special feelings behind the story of the Rock Giant and the young girl, but I regret not being able to go with it.

That being said, I’m starting a completely new, large scale project, different from this. I can’t reveal the platform, release date or the content of the game itself, but I’m putting my full strength into this project; including 120% of my emotions.

“Something new” is always a difficult proposition.
Challenging the idea, I find the energy from myself and sense the feeling of living. Sense of fulfillment; I sincerely feel the importance of it.

Another new project. Sounds like the game he is making now is a big bet to MWs future. hmmm

Aru

0 HP said:
lost odyssey was great and i wish i could have played blue dragon

Blue Dragon is an average RPG.
Not bad, but not excellent. Just good (too easy if you start with the default difficulty, only the last bosses are a bit tough if you didn't grind).

So don't bother if you have other games to play :)

Top Bottom