• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

clashfan

Mr Killemgood said:
And for the record, LO + BD, from what I've seen have shipped *roughly* 1.5m copies between the 2. I think that's good enough to keep Microsoft interested in moneyhatting them. After all, if MS pays them, then the studio isn't doing poorly.

That seems like pretty good numbers. Seems like MS made their money back so I'm hoping for more games on the 360 from MW. I remember the Gouch saying he wants to make an MMO, hopefully that will come true...

dionysus

Yaldog
People who make statements about game budgets and profitability really need to back that shit up with proof.

If you believe GAFs airmchair analysts, the only games with any chance of making money are the top 5 multimillion sellers and Nintendo games.

If that was the case, the industry wouldn't be sustaining itself and growing at a phenomenal rate in both HD and Nintendo gaming.

So, my point is that we have no idea about what the profitability of Mistwalker's games is and whether MS and AQ are pleased.

Id.

So between Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, which one did a lot better than the other? If I'm not mistakened, Blue Dragon is still the best selling Xbox 360 title in Japan correct, or has another game dethroned it?

Quazar

clashfan said:
That seems like pretty good numbers. Seems like MS made their money back so I'm hoping for more games on the 360 from MW. I remember the Gouch saying he wants to make an MMO, hopefully that will come true...

I doubt that will happen. MS is really cautious with MMO development(funding) these days, and I don't see AQI footing the bill.

But if it were to happen, he's really going to need to stick with the fresh idea way of thinking.

Id. said:
So between Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, which one did a lot better than the other? If I'm not mistakened, Blue Dragon is still the best selling Xbox 360 title in Japan correct, or has another game dethroned it?

You talking worldwide or just Japan? LO WW, BD Japan.

Deku

Banned
If Sakaguchi wants to succeed he needs to make games on systems that sell and go back to his forte, which is not to compete with the mega RPGs S-E puts out. They're doomed to failure. He's a great scenario writer and director, not a visual flashy kind of guy.

The marriage to MS was not a good match. He had to deliver RPGs to a very visually oriented demographic expecting insta Final Fantasy calibre titles and that's not what Mistwalker should be doing at all.

dionysus said:
If you believe GAFs airmchair analysts, the only games with any chance of making money are the top 5 multimillion sellers and Nintendo games.

If that was the case, the industry wouldn't be sustaining itself and growing at a phenomenal rate in both HD and Nintendo gaming.

So, my point is that we have no idea about what the profitability of Mistwalker's games is and whether MS and AQ are pleased.

HD game development, for the large part would not be sustainable without the massive subsidies MS and Sony fork over to produce, develop and market their tentpole releases, including ones obstensively 3rd party developed. (The false claim that Gears of War is a major 3rd party success comes to mind).

If it was profitable, Capcom would be working on Dead Rising 2 after MS moneyhatted them for the 1st installment, and not 8-bit Retro Mega Man 9 for Wii Ware.

My only problem with the money being poured into Mistwalker is I'm not really seeing a return in terms of game product. I mean, MW is getting HUGE amounts of money (presumably ~20M for BD and LO) and yet I'm not seeing the details and nuances that you'd associate with that kind of production money... animations aren't smooth, lack of bones in models, shadows aren't accurate or missing completely (talking about baked in), character faces were lifeless or lacked expression (BD), and so on. I'm not saying they're bad games by any means, but considering the money that presumably being poured into them, you'd think they have a little production value. I wonder if Gooch was using some of the money to fund AQI...

Id.

Quazar said:
You talking worldwide or just Japan? LO WW, BD Japan.

Worldwide. Sorry I forgot to mention that, but you already answered my question.

I wonder if Sakaguchi has anything planned for the Wii.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Deku said:
If Sakaguchi wants to succeed he needs to make games on systems that sell and go back to his forte, which is not to compete with the mega RPGs S-E puts out. They're doomed to failure. He's a great scenario writer and director, not a visual flashy kind of guy.

The marriage to MS was not a good match. He had to deliver RPGs to a very visually oriented demographic expecting insta Final Fantasy calibre titles and that's not what Mistwalker should be doing at all.

Then he should be making games for what? DS and Wii?

stotch

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
My only problem with the money being poured into Mistwalker is I'm not really seeing a return in terms of game product. I mean, MW is getting HUGE amounts of money (presumably ~20M for BD and LO) and yet I'm not seeing the details and nuances that you'd associate with that kind of production money... animations aren't smooth, lack of bones in models, shadows aren't accurate or missing completely (talking about baked in), character faces were lifeless or lacked expression (BD), and so on. I'm not saying they're bad games by any means, but considering the money that presumably being poured into them, you'd think they have a little production value. I wonder if Gooch was using some of the money to fund AQI...

Where did you get the 20 million figure? I don't think 20 million is a lot for games this gen and about half the budget for FF games. A lot of your complaints are about the time and level of optimization put in the game, which is something I can get around, and the 20 million figure is actually encouraging I think to the life of Mistwalker considering all the "it must have FF budget" posts.

Quazar

Well one thing I like about what has been posted on his site is he seems to be listening and moving in a more ambitious direction. And after LO finished up it seems everyone has learned a lot. So it'll be interesting watching things move forward.

Though, who they develop with has me more concerned for future projects rather than worrying about MWs own capabilities. It'd be great to see them just continue to go with Feel+

stotch said:
Where did you get the 20 million figure? I don't think 20 million is a lot for games this gen and about half the budget for FF games. A lot of your complaints are about the performance of the game, which is something I can get around, and the 20 million figure is actually encouraging I think to the life of Mistwalker.
From an interview discussing the whole thing from way way way back when it was announced. I could be wrong or the money could have been re-evaluated to less, but that's the impression I'm under. And 20M is a #$%*TON of money in Japan, JP devs function on far less money the US devs do, so 20M goes a lot farther. As for SE, I'm not so sure they really operate on 40M budget, I really do doubt it... especially since there were rumors of FFX costing that much and looking back and seeing how much was re-purposed from the PS1 gen... I REALLY REALLY REALLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYY doubt the 40M numbers tossed around. Also, I'm not exactly sure how this is a good for MW... or bad a thing...

MCD

do we know anything about ff7 prototypes? did square ever showed any stuff like that in the past?

McDragon said:
do we know anything about ff7 prototypes? did square ever showed any stuff like that in the past?
I think Gooch is talking about the detective in New York theme or whatever that FF7 was initially designed as in its early days.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd buy Mistwalker product if it were on PS3. Alas they have some sort of hate. If Sakaguchi thinks it's smart for Square to give Xbox more support then it would do his company good to give the PS3 a little more love. People wanna buy his games on PS3. Probably would sell more in Japan. It would be a win, win situation to at least do PS3/Xbox.

Quazar

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'd buy Mistwalker product if it were on PS3. Alas they have some sort of hate. If Sakaguchi thinks it's smart for Square to give Xbox more support then it would do his company good to give the PS3 a little more love. People wanna buy his games on PS3. Probably would sell more in Japan. It would be a win, win situation to at least do PS3/Xbox.

Sure, if he was actually funding the games himself. Cry On would be a good multi platform game. Not sure if they have resources to do that though.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I loved, loved LO and BD, and I'm currently enjoying the hell out of Eternal Sonata. Heck, even Enchanted Arms was a fun game.

Next-gen RPGs are all I need at the moment.

More Mistwalker titles, please.

Mefisutoferesu said:

I saw different.

First off with Lost Odyssey they used the Unreal 3 Engine. There goes a great deal of the excuses for technical mishaps. With that said, Mistwalker and Feel Plus did an incredible job considering all the issues many devs had with the engine. There are times you can't even tell it's using the UE3 engine.

You could clearly tell that Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were big budget games. It's blatantly obvious in Lost Odyssey. Anyone that has played it would see that almost immediately. That game didn't look cheap. Lost Odyssey was very good in the production values department.

Blue Dragon, while not as strong in that area, was still handled well and some of the complaints you made simply come down to what the developers wanted to do with the art direction. Considering Blue Dragon came from Artoon, I'd say some slack can be tossed their way. The kinds of things you mentioned are things I imagine would improve in a sequel and I wouldn't doubt the same to be true for a potential Lost Odyssey sequel.

You need to also take into consideration that these guys have just recently got together. Nothing is as perfect as it should be on the first go. As time goes on they'll continue to get better results.

tehbear said:
Yeah there was no texture pop in. MW technical prowess > Bioware confirmed.

Well that isn't what I meant, but yea you're right lol. Mass Effect did have more technical issues than Lost Odyssey did, which I thought was amazing since they are a Japanese developer and many of the instructions for the engine weren't even in their own language. Even with all issues they managed to get a demo out prior to even Gears?

What I meant most by you couldn't tell it was a UE3 title sometimes is just what an incredible job Mistwalker and Feel Plus did on the game from an artistic perspective. Really stunning stuff. Everybody looks at early Lost Odyssey screens that are from earlier in the game and think they know what the game looks like, but they have no idea.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Mefisutoferesu said:
I mean, MW is getting HUGE amounts of money (presumably ~20M for BD and LO) and yet I'm not seeing the details and nuances that you'd associate with that kind of production money...
That money also went to setting up Mistwalker as well, not just making the games.

LiquidMetal14 said:

Finally an honest answer, if only some of the other posters in this thread could do the same instead of all the FUD spreading.

Quazar

Sakaguchi said:
By encountering the connection between new life and death and the anxiety that it brings, it seems a person travelling the world can imagine that there is a flow of tense moments even in ordinary life. Because of this, he'll say that his purpose in life, and even the way he copes with events happening before him, changes.

I think I've had my fair share of travels, but I haven't gone as far as being in extreme danger or encountering something I just could not believe. But, I somehow know that feeling someone who has been on this journey commonly experiences.

I guess I can't help what I do for a living, but my thoughts are always travelling to another world. There, magic abounds, and non-human creatures talk. Together with the story's hero, we struggle through difficult ordeals, experience trust and betrayal, and part ways with people dear to us. In these worlds I always create, my thoughts run free so that I can dare to make unexpected things happen. Because I've done things like this for nearly 20 years, many fictitious adventures are engraved in nearness to my memories.

Of course, going through debug, which is the last test play characteristic of games, tens and hundreds of times may also be one of the reasons.
But even then, it's somewhat vivid.

You might say I am weird (^^;
But this is very fun for me.
Worlds are created. Again and Again.
Creation from imagination.
Now, for the next project, the adventure is about to reach its most exciting point.

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/column2_eng.html

What's the most exciting point for Sakaguchi? Quick GAF we can get a time frame on where his project is in development. :p

Anyways, I thought the debug comment was pretty funny.

LOL-tastic responses guys, thanks. Anyway this is Feel+ not Mistwalker. You are all forgetting that AQ works on multiplatform development.

MCD

clashfan said:
Take your console war somewhere else please.
:lol

Ryujin said:
LOL-tastic responses guys, thanks. Anyway this is Feel+ not Mistwalker. You are all forgetting that AQ works on multiplatform development.

indeed, from an old interview:

That's still next-gen games, but it's of course not as big as Lost Odyssey. I think it's comparable in size with other competitors. Enough to -- the Lost Odyssey team, my studio, can start three projects, where before it was just one project. So...

Right. So, it's the same amount of people that were on Lost Odyssey, broken up into three?

RN: Yeah.

OK. So those will be like, well -- Are you doing any kind of console download games, or is it all packaged products?

RN: It's all packaged products. I can't disclose details yet of the three projects.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3628/developing_an_epic_nakazato_on_.php?page=3

[Nintex]

Deku said:
If it was profitable, Capcom would be working on Dead Rising 2 after MS moneyhatted them for the 1st installment, and not 8-bit Retro Mega Man 9 for Wii Ware.
This makes no sense, Capcom is interested in doing another Dead Rising it sold great. The team is split at the moment though, Capcom has tons of other interesting games coming out but I'm sure that Dead Rising 2 will be the next game that Inafune is working on.
DR2 will take require alot more development time and resources than Mega Man 9 and although Capcom is treating the Wii well. The biggest chunk of their support consists of spin-offs and ports.

I can't wait to see more of Mistwalker. LO was a great game and I'm sure that there will be a sequel. BD bombed though, so I don't think that'll return. I hope they'll unveil this new project at E3.

madhtr said:
Only problem, they haven't developed anything.

They may not have the biggest involvement behind the grunt work of the actual development and engine work, but they do determine what the content that goes in is and also monitor and guide the process of the development so as to make sure the development team doesn't do anything they don't want done.

That counts as developing to me. Not only that, while Mistwalker is not a full fledged development house of any kind and is more a production team, there are people within Mistwalker that are directly hands on with the development process just as much as say a texture artist or all the work required of other positions.

They count as a developer to me even if they do get other people to do most of the actual development. I consider Enix to be a developer as well. Blue Dragon wouldn't even be as good as it was, had it been left entirely up to Artoon and Dragon Quest VIII wouldn't even be as good as it was, had it been left entirely up to Level 5.

...Right now I don't know how to feel about Mistwalker =/

I LOVED Blue Dragon, but borderline detested Lost Odyssey in the end

...but being honest, I am still very much excited about what they'll do next....at least BD2 using the same engine, only optomized

CowboyAstronaut said:
McDragon said:
mistwalker is now relevant.
Yes they are. They were just a bad rpg developer before, but now their games may actually be worth a look.
Thanks for the laugh guys, though it seems not everyone got it.

For BD2 I've been saying that all they need to do is further optimize the current engine and add even more polish to the game as a whole. The framerate, shadows/dithering (more of a hardware issue, it seems), tearing (though I'm not bothered by it in most games like some people are) and, perhaps, lighting model just need to be improved. Add in some degree of AF if possible and BD2 would be golden. I'm not even looking for a greater number of polygons & fx or even "true gen" graphics.

Kittonwy

Banned
duckroll said:
I think Sakaguchi owning a chunk of shares in AQ Interactive probably helps a bit. If Away, Blue Dragon Plus and Cry On all bomb, then I'm not sure even that will save Mistwalker. They've already burnt MS and Nintendo...

My question is can they truly rely on Sakaguchi's name recognition to sell games? And what has happened between Sakaguchi and Sony? Sony has remained relatively friendly with Jun Iwasaki even after Iwasaki left Square, why didn't Sakaguchi approach Sony to develop a RPG? Does this have anything to do with Square-Enix?

Top Bottom