• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Nintendo can't comment on NX because of "an idea that we're working on"

Gabe3208

Banned
someFool said:
why is everyone excited for Nintendo, it's not like they're good. You know the console is going to be crap.

This type of sentiment I see throughout the Internet and it's clear that these people don't understand what makes Nintendo special.

When the Wii was selling like crazy, I could give 2 shits as to how many "units" they were selling. I simply enjoyed the new way of playing games and the games themselves.

Then take a look at Sony and Microsoft. Every few years they cram more and more power to "beat" the other one at who's the powerhouse console this time around. No thoughts as to something innovative to do. You know, it takes ALOT of balls to release a console with a unique "gimmick" (as people like to refer to it as). You risk ending up with an amazing scenario like the Wii, or a shitty scenario like the Wii U. But in the end, the games still deliver. The charm, the addiction, the attention to detail is still all there.

It's nice to have a powerful console, it's even nicer to have a decent console that tries something new, something different. It's what I LOVED about Nintendo as a kid. Seeing the consoles/controllers change over the cycles was so much fun! Now, it seems like everyone just wants one way to play games and that's it.

This is why the other console makers don't have that pizazz that Nintendo has when releasing something new. Nintendo comes outta nowhere with some of the weirdest shit, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But the fact that they always try to be different is what keeps me coming back.

Don't gotta look at my info. Even if you take nate and emilys info they both said nx is close to Xbox one specs. You're not getting that in a handheld form factor ubless you want 20 minutes of battery life.
Unless its more tablet sized.

The New 3DS XL was the top selling 3DS in even Japan by a large margin, so Nintendo may be ok with a big portable.

But even I have my doubts. But I'm pretty confident on a portable Zelda BotW so we'll see. As always. Until they reveal it...if they ever do...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
under 3 hours do we have any live tweet sources?
Nothing confirmed yet but NStyles will likely be tweeting. He's tweeted some about Nintendo recently, his Twitter names includes mention of the meeting, and he took a picture of Nintendo HQ a few hours ago.

MilesTeg

Banned
Which worked out great

Also we're already in the year of nothing.

If the software still isnt ready in March then there is no point in releasing it then. People would be left waiting for games just like Wii U, and then the console will get destroyed by the new PS4 and Xbox with their established library and strong new releases and their VR. If its not ready its not ready. The fact that NX and Zelda are both supposed to release just before the end of the fiscal year, and have probably both been delayed already, just reeks of potential further pushbacks.

If I'm being honest I dont necessarily believe Zelda's delay is due to NX only. Knowing Nintendo the game just isnt ready to release this year.

I agree we are already in the year of nothing and all that, but it is what it is.

I understand that pattern recognition is one of the core functions of human intelligence, but you have to ignore a lot of factors in favor of a myopic focus on previous release patterns in order to come to your conclusion.

I didn't arrive at any single conclusion. Funny enough, I would say the same myopic argument applies to those that have argued against one of them.

At any rate, we'll find out in a few months what the real deal is

MK_768

If the software still isnt ready in March then there is no point in releasing it then. People would be left waiting for games just like Wii U, and then the console will get destroyed by the new PS4 and Xbox with their established library and strong new releases and their VR. If its not ready its not ready. The fact that NX and Zelda are both supposed to release just before the end of the fiscal year, and have probably both been delayed already, just reeks of potential further pushbacks.

If I'm being honest I dont necessarily believe Zelda's delay is due to NX only. Knowing Nintendo the game just isnt ready to release this year.

I agree we are already in the year of nothing and all that, but it is what it is.

Here's the thing about software. A March release can give Nintendo a reprieve of sorts. Any drought would not be nearly as disastrous as what the Wii U had to deal with. Surely, Nintendo has a couple games that should be ready by launch. We know they have Pikmin 4 coming for NX. It is likely they have remakes coming and that did wonders for the PS4. Also, Retro has been working on something for a couple years. I could see a drought in the summer but that's nothing too bad especially if Nintendo has stable feet in the sand. Then there is the holiday season. Nintendo will be ready for that.

That's where I'm at. Better to release it in March, sandwiched between the launch of Neo in October/November (assuming that's what happens) and the launch of Scorpio next October/November, than to launch head-to-head with Scorpio next Holiday when all the media attention is on it. Release NX with Zelda and Pikmin 4 in Spring 2017, have Mario and Retro's big project come out in Winter 2017.

I do tend to go with the idea that the NX represents two different products, a handheld and a console with a mostly-shared library, but it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to have the handheld come out first if the point is to show off how great Zelda Breath of the Wild looks on the NX vs the Wii U version. If it does run on the handheld, Breath of the Wild will be downscaled even from the Wii U version.

They need more then that.

Anth0ny

Nintendo alone can't get enough games out quick enough to avoid droughts

Which is why they're fucked if they put out another console that isn't third party friendly

Barring a Wii-esque miracle

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

They technically can create a combined user base that supports their investment in publishing enough internally developed and externally developed first-party games. This is if their NX platform is cross-compatible. 1 game / pick your machine. But they also have to choose their games wisely. Something they did well on the N64, and poorly on the Wii U.

Lutherian

Rösti;208617705 said:
Nothing confirmed yet but NStyles will likely be tweeting. He's tweeted some about Nintendo recently, his Twitter names includes mention of the meeting, and he took a picture of Nintendo HQ a few hours ago.

Isn't his tweet with a picture of Nintendo HQ by night is just... a picture of Nintendo's HQ by night ?

EhoaVash

Which is why they're fucked if they put out another console that isn't third party friendly

Barring a Wii-esque miracle

well Nintendo is like the largest publisher in the industry, especially with how much first party games they publish especially on their handhelds. If rumors about nx being true ( the one about both nx devices console and handheld sharing the same library due to having unified architectures, etc, a drought isn't going to be a problem for them. ) from first party standpoint, they have enough resource/ development groups to release a new game every single month if their developers can release their games on both systems without any problems due to the unified architectures allowing both devices to share assets etc

Yep, you're right. I actually do believe that a magical force literally exists. Glad we figured that out!

For the record, because you seem to have trouble understanding this: of course the possibility of it being an actual console and launching in March exists. It's just my opinion that one of those statements won't end up being true. Anyways, since you're seemingly being purposefully obtuse, I'm quite done discussing this with you for now
For the record he's not been obtuse. i say this in the most objective way possible.

Based on your previous comments, I don't think you're the most objective one when it comes to these matters.
Do a poll them and see for yourself. i was just trying to clue you a bit. In a friendly way with zero personal attacks. Funny enough you got harser replies but i got the short end of the stick here XD

For example, he's (edit: Previous to last) last reply to you described exactly what you are doing.

Althought to be fair to you, i wouldn't have used the "magica forcel" qualifier, because it might seem to you that he's mocking.

Boney

Banned
Which worked out great

Also we're already in the year of nothing.
People complaining about software droughts in 2007 and early 2008 were insane. For like 18 months Nintendo was dropping game after game, and that was just on the Wii side. Sure after Mario Kart they had a small hiatus of like a year of very slow releases but picked up right after up to 2011.

Banned
This type of sentiment I see throughout the Internet and it's clear that these people don't understand what makes Nintendo special.

When the Wii was selling like crazy, I could give 2 shits as to how many "units" they were selling. I simply enjoyed the new way of playing games and the games themselves.

Then take a look at Sony and Microsoft. Every few years they cram more and more power to "beat" the other one at who's the powerhouse console this time around. No thoughts as to something innovative to do. You know, it takes ALOT of balls to release a console with a unique "gimmick" (as people like to refer to it as). You risk ending up with an amazing scenario like the Wii, or a shitty scenario like the Wii U. But in the end, the games still deliver. The charm, the addiction, the attention to detail is still all there.

It's nice to have a powerful console, it's even nicer to have a decent console that tries something new, something different. It's what I LOVED about Nintendo as a kid. Seeing the consoles/controllers change over the cycles was so much fun! Now, it seems like everyone just wants one way to play games and that's it.

This is why the other console makers don't have that pizazz that Nintendo has when releasing something new. Nintendo comes outta nowhere with some of the weirdest shit, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But the fact that they always try to be different is what keeps me coming back.

I'm all for innovation but I think gaming has gotten to the point of diminishing returns or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I enjoy gaming on my PC and PS4, and my XB1 when I had it. I don't need someone to come along and introduce AR or VR or motion controls. Games are good enough for me. Unless Nintendo's brand new experience is some kind of holographic projection, I don't see what it could be.

Just give me an xbox one controller with Gyro and a 4" screen for info and maps and such for NX. And focus the rest of the innovation on unique software, great toolsets to get ports of current AAA games, and up to date OS features like party chat and achievements and friends lists.

Banned
Übermatik;208624153 said:
Anyone got a countdown?

t1475197200z4.png

:p

Real one.

t1467162000z1.png

You know the second they reveal the NX there's going to be a montage of Iwata hovering around prototype kits and treating it like his last product.

Banned
You keep using this date, so I take it that's what your source is telling you?
Nope. Complete guess on the date. I was told September but no firm date was given.

I accounted for spaceing out away from TGS and Labour day. And they usually do announcements on Tuesday-Thursday so I chose the last Thursday of the month.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
#teamhybrid better get a tag when this thing ends up being a hybrid.

Literally nothing else makes sense for Nintendo going forward.

- a traditional console won't be powerful enough for people to bother in large numbers. It'll sell less than WiiU

- Lets be honest, everyone is trying to think of a gimmick. There'll be no "gimmick". At least not one in the vein people are thinking like a unique controller or anything. All reasonable gimmicks are exhausted. By reasonable, I mean unique enough to pique consumer interest, but still allows people to actually play games in a real way

- They already have the monopoly on the portable market, it makes sense to leverage that

- They already have the WiiU streaming tech. It makes sense to leverage that

- Mobile tech is evolving at a rapid rate and it wouldn't surprise me if the delay is an attempt to improve battery tech.

Banned

- a traditional console won't be powerful enough for people to bother in large numbers. It'll sell less than WiiU

- Lets be honest, everyone is trying to think of a gimmick. There'll be no "gimmick". At least not one in the vein people are thinking like a unique controller or anything. All reasonable gimmicks are exhausted. By reasonable, I mean unique enough to pique consumer interest, but still allows people to actually play games in a real way

- They already have the monopoly on the portable market, it makes sense to leverage that

- Mobile tech is evolving at a rapid rate and it wouldn't surprise me if the delay is an attempt to improve battery tech.

Team Hybrid is gonna get a giant "L" in their tag :p

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Team Hybrid is gonna get a giant "L" in their tag :p

No way. I'm being stubborn on this one because literally nothing else makes any business sense whatsoever for Nintendo.

Why would they want to create another failed home console? They already own the portable market. It just makes so much sense to leverage that monopoly and keep a toe in the home console market by throwing the HDMI signal sender in there.

AzaK

Remember... they were "working on an idea" before it revealed itself to be Wii U.

Exactly. That's why people need to take any sort of PR as bullshit until you see what the thing is - especially with Nintendo.

"You will say WOW!"

No way. I'm being stubborn on this one because literally nothing else makes any business sense whatsoever for Nintendo.

Why would they want to create another failed home console? They already own the portable market. It just makes so much sense to leverage that monopoly and keep a toe in the home console market by throwing the HDMI signal sender in there.

Because it's dumb as a company to limit yourself on one way to make money.

I'll be happy to get any news, but I don't expect anything particularly interesting for NX. I mean, look at the OT: it's Miyamoto, once again, telling us absolutely nothing. It's curious, but it's nothing. It sucks being in what's essentially a lame duck time period, so hopefully what we do get in the following months whets the appetite.

Banned

I understand your point. But I don't think it's going to be a hybrid. They talked about expanding the number of devices a few years ago, not consolidating them.

Also, I'm very skeptical of the shared library rumors as well. I see it as being more of a UWP for Nintendo, making it easier to port games to both platforms but still sell them separately.

beef3483

Great post. My sentiments exactly. Nintendo frustrates the hell out of me sometimes, but I like how they are always there as an alternative to the same ol' graphics upgrade we get from the other two.

Jubenhimer

Call me crazy, but I think Nintendo's vision with the NX era will be to bridge the gap between mobile and traditional gaming. There's some clear stereotypes currently about each. Mobile games pigeonholed as pay to win puzzle games, while traditional games are pigeonholed as Graphicaly intense blockbusters for young men. Why can't there be something in between? Something that combines the simplicity, intuitiveness, and convince of mobile gaming, with games, features, and standards of traditional game platforms? If this is the case, then Nintendo might be on to something. And if it works, mobile developers, indie developers, AAA developers, and Japanese developers are going to want to flock to it.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I bet it has to do with implementing VR. Sony and Microsoft are doing it so Nintendo needs a plan if VR takes off.

Jubenhimer

I bet it has to do with implementing VR. Sony and Microsoft are doing it so Nintendo needs a plan if VR takes off.
They already said that VR isn't mainstream yet. They also said they it currently doesn't fit their philosophy. So no VR anytime soon.

RagnarokX

Well, I'm sure Nintendo considers Sony and MS' attempts to undercut Wii U's Gamepad functionality as a contributor to Wii U's failure. Nintendo revealed Wii U fairly early and Sony and MS announced their own versions of Gamepad functionality before Wii U released. Made people question what was special about the Wii U when they could use Vita to play PS3 games remotely.

That would mean that whatever NX is it's something that Sony and MS could really easily make their own versions of and beat NX to market with.

I won't say that I am team Hybrid but I will say that I am #Team100%Gamesonportableandhomesystems

Wether that is a hybrid or two seperate devices is still up in the air (likely two devices) but I'm pretty sure on this, and both launching in March. This is the idea they don't want stolen even tho its not that earth shattering and been done before. Tho I guess 100% compat hasn't been done.

Toparaman

Banned

Even most Nintendo fans aren't with you on this. My favorite Nintendo games from the last decade didn't need or significantly benefit from the special features of the platforms they were released on. And it's not just me, look at which Nintendo games from the last decade are most critically acclaimed. Nintendo couldn't make a compelling case for motion controls or tablet controls. And while twin screens and 3D have been more successful, they haven't become industry standards.

Arguably the most beloved Nintendo console is the SNES, which also happens to be the least innovative home console Nintendo has put out. What it did have was a major graphics and sound boost over its predecessor, a better controller, and superb third-party support.

What makes Nintendo special is the quality of their games, not that their hardware has unique capabilities that even they don't quite know what to do with.

Top Bottom