• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "Retro (the developer) might be a good fit for Zelda."

To be perfectly realistic, I find it hard to believe EAD can develop a HD Zelda in the same or less time than SS, without help. Retro seems like the perfect option here. To both lend a large amount of technical/development support as well as fresh ideas and approaches. Until Nintendo expands a bit work force wise, and engine/asset wise this is probably the best option.

[Nintex]

To be perfectly realistic, I find it hard to believe EAD can develop a HD Zelda in the same or less time than SS, without help. Retro seems like the perfect option here. To both lend a large amount of technical/development support as well as fresh ideas and approaches. Until Nintendo expands a bit work force wise, and engine/asset wise this is probably the best option.

Enough developers in NA looking for work so Nintendo should just hire enough people and let Retro develop it by themselves with a bit of EAD supervising.

Imagine a full fledged Zelda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uYCU8jFiU
HNgnggggg

Aonuma is then able to develop something else in tandem, like Zelda by Retro Studios in 2013, followed by Zelda from EAD in 2015.

In my mind it looks like this:
Fall 2012 - Zelda 3DS
Fall 2013 - Zelda by Retro Studios
Fall 2015 - Zelda by EAD

Also Miyamoto loves to hint about shit like this. I especially remember the: "Don't the Dinosaur Planet characters look a lot like Star Fox?" bit.

Mistle

Whoever develops this, I just hope they get it done in less than 5 years lol. The Wii technically only had 1 Zelda, breaking the 2 per console tradition that I prefer :p

ugoo18

What is with the unhealthy love of Starfox, it was never that great. All it had going for it was some pretty graphics for the time and some meme's that won't die.

Sin and Punishment N64 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Starfox 64

Sin and Punishment 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every Starfox game ever made

I would hate to see Retro's talent and ability wasted on something like Starfox.

If Retro must work on an existing IP the ideal choices would be:

Startropics (That series needs a revival)
Metroid (As far as im concerned Metroid belongs to them for the foreseeable future)
F-Zero (A much better way to engage their talents than an on rails shooter that was barely good to begin with)

Zelda (Probably won't happen but still would look forward to it immensely)

Kid Icarus (Same deal as Zelda)
DKCR Sequel (DKCR was an outstanding game, a sequel would be awesome)

Just not Starfox (At least not on rails Starfox, which according to some people is the only true Starfox), if Retro's secret game turned out to be Starfox the disappointment i would feel would almost be like when i first saw Gohan as a teenager -_-

[Nintex]

Whoever develops this, I just hope they get it done in less than 5 years lol. The Wii technically only had 1 Zelda, breaking the 2 per console tradition that I prefer :p

Only two ways for HD Zelda to hit by 2013. Either Aonuma pulls another Majora's Mask with Skyward Sword assets or Retro Studios has already started working on the next Zelda.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
[Nintex];33469256 said:
Enough developers in NA looking for work so Nintendo should just hire enough people and let Retro develop it by themselves with a bit of EAD supervising.

Miyamoto just publicly stated how he was not thrilled that the SPD team and external developers were developing the last batch of F-Zero and Star Fox games. I doubt he is willing to add The Legend of Zelda to the list. Especially, when part of the problem is Nintendo figuring out how to revitalize the series in Japan, and having Retro develop it by themselves (which I don't think they have sufficient staff) is definitely not the answer.

EAD does not supervise games. EAD is either the master of the blue print or they are not involved at all. The SPD division of Nintendo has done more supervision jobs where they just produce a game with another developer, and add things like music and design suggestions. But EAD has a different focus, an EAD game means you are playing an EAD game. They have a reputation.

[Nintex]

Miyamoto just publicly stated how he was not thrilled that the SPD team and external developers were developing the last batch of F-Zero and Star Fox games. I doubt he is willing to add The Legend of Zelda to the list. Especially, when part of the problem is Nintendo figuring out how to revitalize the series in Japan, and having Retro develop it by themselves (which I don't think they have sufficient staff) is definitely not the answer.

EAD does not supervise games. EAD is either the master of the blue print or they are not involved at all. The SPD division of Nintendo has done more supervision jobs where they just produce a game with another developer, and add things like music and design suggestions. But EAD has a different focus, an EAD game means you are playing an EAD game. They have a reputation.

As true as that is even Nintendo knows they can't wait untill 2016 to release a Wii U Zelda. The main attraction of Wii U will be Mario/Zelda et all in rich HD experiences.

Metroid wouldn't sell much even in HD, so doing another Prime seems like a money sink to me. Star Fox 64 3D flopped a bit as well. F-Zero? Well, maybe they'll do that in-house. Retro could do another DK but that would just be wasting their talents since Nintendo has so many studios that can make platform games.

Forever

Banned
[Nintex];33469406 said:
Retro Studios has already started working on the next Zelda.

I'm increasingly convinced that their unannounced project is Zelda, and that they were behind the E3 demo too.

Mistle

[Nintex];33469406 said:
Only two ways for HD Zelda to hit by 2013. Either Aonuma pulls another Majora's Mask with Skyward Sword assets or Retro Studios has already started working on the next Zelda.

I wouldn't mind either option tbh. Though only if the SS assests get a full HD coat of paint. Though actually, I'd rather a new console design, and take the SS look (and world!) to 3DS.

You know, we'll probably only get one Zelda on Wii U. The handheld game is now powerful enough to give a console-like experience that could be a substitute for the second game. And in effect, would mean more time for the Wii U Zelda to be as fleshed out and not rushed as possible.

Forever

Banned
The handheld game is now powerful enough to give a console-like experience that could be a substitute for the second game.

It's a perfect opportunity to finally give some closure to the Hero of Time.

If they leave him hanging, looking for Navi for all eternity, I will be sad.

If Nintendo wants Zelda to sell better in it's current iteration (i.e. 3D/cinematic/story/etc aka "modern 3D Zelda") than I think the only way to maximize that is to hand if off to Retro for a more western influence. For better or worse I think it would sell better, Zelda's days of selling good in Japan are over in it's current form, that culture has no interest based on sales. But the current model of Zelda still is very viable in the west, and even moreso if a developer like Retro did it justice.

I'd prefer they changed up the design and game completely, but they won't. The major questions for me are do Retro have the employees and resources, will EAD not restrict too much to make the transition moot, and what direction would Retro really take it?

Well, Retro doesn't treat its players like idiots like pretty much all Nintendo games these days. DKCR had legitimately challenging platforming, and the Prime games required the player to think and figure things out on their own without egregious handholding.

But Skyward Sword is an incredible game, only one with some really bad decisions. Those guys still have the capacity to make top tier games. The problems are all the handholding, tutorials, padding, etc. If you cut out the fat, Skyward Sword's only problem would be the combat, and at least Retro haven't demonstrated good combat design with the Prime games.

luca1980

Banned
If Nintendo wants Zelda to sell better in it's current iteration (i.e. 3D/cinematic/story/etc aka "modern 3D Zelda") than I think the only way to maximize that is to hand if off to Retro for a more western influence. For better or worse I think it would sell better, Zelda's days of selling good in Japan are over in it's current form, that culture has no interest based on sales. But the current model of Zelda still is very viable in the west, and even moreso if a developer like Retro did it justice.

I'd prefer they changed up the design and game completely, but they won't. The major questions for me are do Retro have the employees and resources, will EAD not restrict too much to make the transition moot, and what direction would Retro really take it?

That's a good point. Sales in japan for Zelda are forgettable so a retro developed take on the franchise could make sense.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
*googles Sean Maelstrom*

*finds blog*

*reads the first blog entry of a reader e-mail with a completely unrelated, strange answer*

What the fuck is that.
Apparently, the first few posts were sort of interesting (I remember excerpts getting quoted on GAF). Later, they degenerated into utter insanity, mixed up with a few sprinkles of delusions, megalomania and PuzZelda.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd like to see quicker combat in Zelda games. The Ys series, most notably Oath in Felghana and SEVEN series comes to mind when ever I think of the possibilities.

Oh man... a "New Legend of Zelda" game outsourced to Falcom... zero filler, all fast-paced combat and using cool tools. Would be a game to die for!

idwl

I don't care when zelda is releasing, I just want an amazing trailer shown during E3. Even if its completely cg

maeda

Didn't Aonuma ask if it is time to give Zelda her own game??? Please revive Sheik spin off, please revive Sheik spin off!!!!

royalan

I don't care when zelda is releasing, I just want an amazing trailer shown during E3. Even if its completely cg

Oh god no. The last thing they need to do is that.

The West has completely spoiled me in this regard. I'd much rather they keep shit to themselves until they're significantly far along in development.

maeda

Oh god no. The last thing they need to do is that.

The West has completely spoiled me in this regard. I'd much rather they keep shit to themselves until they're significantly far along in development.
You can get off our hype train. Seriously though Nintendo needs at least one huge reveal; be it Mario, Zelda, Smash or Metroid. Without them E3 will be pretty anticlimatic.

royalan

You can get off our hype train. Seriously though Nintendo needs at least one huge reveal; be it Mario, Zelda, Smash or Metroid. Without them E3 will be pretty anticlimatic.

But just imagine how awesome it would be if Nintendo showed an E3 or TGS trailer for the next Zelda, and right as the trailer ends and the logo fades, in bright letters..."Coming This Holiday Season."

Crowd erupts. Hype trains filled to capacity. I'm willing to bet money that that Zelda would go on to sell more than either Wii Zelda just from capitalizing on the initial hype. Pure Apple style.

Because if there's one thing this gen's taught us: hype trains are fun...but the longer the journey the more people fall off them.

But just imagine how awesome it would be if Nintendo showed an E3 or TGS trailer for the next trailer, and right as the trailer ends and the logo fades, in bright letters..."Coming This Holiday Season."

Crowd erupts. Hype trains filled to capacity. I'm willing to bet money that that Zelda would go on to sell more than either Wii Zelda just from capitalizing on the initial hype. Pure Apple style.

Because if there's one thing this gen's taught us: hype trains are fun...but the longer the journey the more people fall off them.

I completely agree and I have nothing to add.

ASIS

[Nintex];33469256 said:

Imagine a full fledged Zelda like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9uYCU8jFiU
HNgnggggg

...Eh, I think I'm the only person who doesn't want that. It looks pretty, but it's so lifeless! I didn't like the art style at all (Link's model mostly).

I don't mind a realistic Zelda, not at all. But break away from the TP style and try something else.

Basically, I want an HD Zelda but I don't want.... that.

royalan

...Eh, I think I'm the only person who doesn't want that. It looks pretty, but it's so lifeless! I didn't like the art style at all (Link's model mostly).

I don't mind a realistic Zelda, not at all. But break away from the TP style and try something else.

Basically, I want an HD Zelda but I don't want.... that.

The only thing that really bothers me about that demo is Link's character design. His weird chibi face that looks caked with makeup disturbs me.

We've gotten Child Link and Teen Link, now I'm ready for an Adult Link. Nothing Dudebro-ish, but maybe a Link in his mid-twenties. Close to TP Link, but a little older...and less eerily angular.

ASIS

are you kidding

you can say a lot of things about that demo, except that

i think you're mistakenly using the wrong word, based on the rest of your post

No that's definitely what I feel. Ironically it gives me the exact feeling from that spaceworld demo.

It looks... plastic.

leroidys

No that's definitely what I feel. Ironically it gives me the exact feeling from that spaceworld demo.

It looks... plastic.

Speaking of the spaceworld demo, do you think that Nintendo would make the same mistake twice of showing some cgi and then coming out with a game with a completely different visual style? I think that we can probably expect something close to this style for Zelda U.

I wish they would go back to Wind Waker though. It would be glorious in HD, the added horsepower being used for all sorts of even more intricate animations, weather effects, etc.

ASIS

Speaking of the spaceworld demo, do you think that Nintendo would make the same mistake twice of showing some cgi and then coming out with a game with a completely different visual style? I think that we can probably expect something close to this style for Zelda U.

I wish they would go back to Wind Waker though. It would be glorious in HD, the added horsepower being used for all sorts of even more intricate animations, weather effects, etc.
I think it's going to be realistic this time around. They aren't going to do the same mistake twice me thinks. I hope Nintendo does something abstract. That's different from all the styles they've done up to this point.

Dammit I want to know what they're planning now ;_;

Top Bottom