• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki talks future of Dark Souls series, Armored Core and a new IP

I finished Bloodborne last night and would kill for a sequel. I fully understand if these guys would want to deviate from that type of game (soulsborne)as they've been making them for the past many years.Because of that, I'm wondering if this new IP will be a different genre from what they've done in the past. I wouldn't mind a new Arnored Core though, that series is just begging for a well funded reboot.

mLRpfTw.gif

I love the CGI
The thing is that when it comes to Armored Core, I like their CGI much better than the gameplay... :/

I don't need more Souls for a while. I think it's fine they're making something new. I'd like some breathing room to have the time to try and go back and Platinum Dark Souls 2 and 3. I want a Bloodborne follow-up pretty damn bad, but after Dark Souls 3, the itch has been scratched a bit.

I do want a remaster of Demon, though.

I think they want to take a break from the soulsborne formula, given how they have no plans for spin-offs, which I'd argue bloodborne was. They've been working on that particular formula for a long time now. Let em take a break and try something new I say.
what's "try something new though" It's like saying the creator of GT5 is going to make a first person shooter. Every creator/developer has their strengths/weaknesses. From has found their strength. It doesn't have to be like borne/souls but I expect a new IP to apply similar fundamentals of gameplay and ideology into whatever title it is whether it be deep mechanics/strong focus on art direction/challenging/etc..

nah from software was always leaning more towards sony. wouldnt be surprised if dark souls is the only multiplat franchise for now

i dont really care either way unless its a souls spinoff which he clearly denied ... i just hope the gameplay is similar
I'm sure From likes money. No reason aside from a contract that they wouldn't want to go multiplatform.

There is basically a 99.999% chance Bloodborne 2 is happening regardless of what he says in interviews.

I do belive him there won't be anymore Dark Souls games though

Molemitts

This confirms Miyazaki working on a new IP? It doesn't say he's working on it, but considering he feels he is personally done with Souls that's what I'm expecting.

I hope the new IP uses a completely new formula. Miyazaki knows what the fuck he is doing and I'd love to see him apply himself to something brand new.

Wagram

I'm incredibly curious to see what happens next with FROM Software. They've received high sales and reception for Souls, but will that translate over to what's next? As much as some love Armored Core, the Souls fans aren't going to follow into that franchise. The next property is a new IP, but will it be challenging, etc? Curious to see if FROM is a one trick pony with Soulsborne or if they can pull out another home run.

I'm a "sort of" fan of Armored Core, but even I am completely ready for a Miyazaki AC game. This Gen is missing hot mech action.

Menitta

There's the possibility they're not working on a new IP that's like the Souls games.

I kinda want them to try something completely new, but at the same time, I'll play every game that's like Dark Souls by From.

Gbraga

This confirms Miyazaki working on a new IP? It doesn't say he's working on it, but considering he feels he is personally done with Souls that's what I'm expecting.

I hope the new IP uses a completely new formula. Miyazaki knows what the fuck he is doing and I'd love to see him apply himself to something brand new.

He already said that his next project will truly show what he's able to accomplish, since it'll be the first project he started to work on after he became president.

I'm expecting the best thing ever.

He already said that his next project will truly show what he's able to accomplish, since it'll be the first project he started to work on after he became president.

60hour highschool Visual Novel featuring Level up waifus from across the souls games.

Believe

The school will have some great lore

Thewonandonly

People by souls spinoff I think they mean playing as like Gwen or in the same souls universe. That means bloodborne 2 good be in the works. I'm excited for them to try something new and I hope they do exspecially want to try an armored core because I've never tried one. The only souls like game I would except form them be a sci fi one ;)

I'm actually ok if they move on to something new. I just hope that whatever they do has the same type of challenge and difficulty as the souls series

Carl7

He has been talking about making a 'warmer' game for a while, I think his new project will be a JRPG with a heavy focus on action.

CHC

I love Souls and am a little sad that it doesn't sound like much is coming which makes use of that "formula," but I admire their creative drive.

Whatever the new IP is I'm sure it will be exiciting. I just hope it comes to PC for longevity's sake.

I'm very open minded though - they basically mashed up genres to create and entirely new framework for Souls, so I'm sure they can pull of a similar feat again, and manage to surprise fans with a whole new style of game.

I just remember the initial speculation of the "Project Beast" leaks and the questions of like.... "what the hell IS this thing?" Can't wait for that kind of speculation all over again.

Can't complain about a new IP, but I would love to see them make a new Armored Core. I think now more then ever it could be a bigger seller then what it has in the west.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The Soulsborne formula is essentially the best gaming I've had since the SNES days. It's a massive shame to see it die...but I accept it. I think Miyazaki and From can give me a new thing beyond my expectations. Bring it!

I'm okay with FromSoft moving on. Granted, whatever they do next, I hope it takes cues from what made Dark Souls successful: immaculate level design and universe building, strong player challenge, and inventive player-to-player interactions.

Bloodborne 2, while not in FromSoft's future plans, is still a possibility. Sony owns the IP and could very well have a different studio working on the game (Japan Studio is the likely candidate, seeing as they assisted with the original), plus the market imperative suggests that they should (and TBH, it would be a crime against humanity for there not to be a sequel to Bloodborne).

Risette

A Good Citizen
The Soulsborne formula is essentially the best gaming I've had since the SNES days. It's a massive shame to see it die...but I accept it. I think Miyazaki and From can give me a new thing beyond my expectations. Bring it!
It's probably not going to die.

They'll let it rest for a while though.

Lingitiz

People are going to lose their minds if the new IP is a PS4 exclusive. lol
Isn't the rumor that the deal with From and Sony was for three games?

To be honest going for another new IP under Sony is probably the safest bet, especially if it's not going to be very derivative of past Souls games like BB was.

Juraash

I'm really glad to see they want to focus on new things. While I love Souls and Bloodborne, I feel like their best games are ones that are not beholden to anything else. It's part of why Bloodborne was so great for me.

Looking forward to see whatever the new IP is.

Thewonandonly

what's "try something new though" It's like saying the creator of GT5 is going to make a first person shooter. Every creator/developer has their strengths/weaknesses. From has found their strength. It doesn't have to be like borne/souls but I expect a new IP to apply similar fundamentals of gameplay and ideology into whatever title it is whether it be deep mechanics/strong focus on art direction/challenging/etc..
Ya I'm with you their. I don't really think you can get tired of using the same gameplay over and over again what you get tired of is the world. The thing with souls like is that it will fit in any world they personally want. Give me a Samiri world a sci fi world, hell give me a world under water. They have found their bread and butter just like rockstar. Would we ever see rockstar not do a third person game, no unless they truly have a desire to try a new meachanic in a new game. From has turned into rockstar of action RPG's

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I understand his burnout, but is he realistically going to leave Souls-style games behind forever? It's his best-selling series, most critically acclaimed, and most beloved by players around the world. And he's just going to go back to making obscure niche stuff? Never played Armored Core myself, but I know the game didn't exactly set the world on fire, so where does he go from here? Turned-based RPG!? It'll be interesting to see I guess.

Drencrom

What's this about FROM working with Sony on a new IP? It wouldn't surprise me, but I'd like to see where this info is coming from.

Verendus (gaf insider) said that Bloodborne was part of some multi-project contract between Sony and FROM.

We dont need From Software to have a Demon's Souls remastered.

This guys can do the job.
BluePointGames.png

This! If Gravity Rush can get a Bluepoint remaster, Demon's Souls sure can too.

Molemitts

Well, I hope he can get as much creative freedom as possible, and as much time to work on it as he needs, since although I love the Souls games, every one of them could have done with some extra time in the oven.

Shredderi

I'm a little weird about this. No one else, not even one studio, is doing the souls-like game design like they do, so I would actually be fine with scifi souls etc. because no one else will do it and I desperately want them. I can get a fuckton of other kinds of experiences from others so in a weird way I would like to box and lock them away doing nothing but what they've been doing lately. Changing the setting etc. Like a new Armored Core might be cool but it's not even in the same league with their souls and BB games.

Top Bottom