• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki talks future of Dark Souls series, Armored Core and a new IP

-Horizon-

Hmm, then I guess the soonest we'll see a possible complete DS3 edition is in late 2017 or 2018. Or they might not do it US and it'll just be digital only again like bloodborne.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Thank you Jesus, tired of this series and it's fans holding him hostage

It'll be interesting to see his experience with Demon/Dark Souls translated to another IP (outside of Bloodborne)

VertPin

For those people freaking out about no sequel to Bloodborne, its more than likely 99.999999999% chance going to happen.

Yay. Glad for no more bloodborne or souls. It'd be nice to get another one way down the line like he theorized about too. Can't wait to see what they're doing.

Thewonandonly

Why is everyone freaking out that their not going to use the souls formula. They said no souls spin offs, sequels, or what not, that doesn't mean know souls like games. From doesn't consider bloodborne a souls game and we shouldn't either. That's like saying rockstar considers red dead a gta game, they both play the same they both tell the stories the same but they are differnet games. The next game is most likely going to be another souls like it's their bread and butter and they know that. Mizaki is going to go crazy with a completely different world or world's

yuraya

Imagine if Konami got them to make a new Castlevania.

Fuuuuuu I never thought about something like this happening.

It would be so incredible. I wish they could just acquire that ip from Konami so they wouldn't have to work with them in any way. I wonder how much money the Castlevania brand is worth.

Thank god they're not going to make another Souls or Bloodborne game. Series has been milked enough already. I would say I hope they make another Otogi but they'd probably just make it NotSouls™. Just remake Metal Wolf Chaos.

We dont need From Software to have a Demon's Souls remastered.

This guys can do the job.
BluePointGames.png

Damn straight. And through a Dark Souls 1 remaster in there as well.

And I think there will definitely be another Bloodborne and Dark Souls eventually. They make money. My only fear is if Miyazaki has no direction or influence in the project. Could only be goodish, and not GOAT level. Meh.

Would get hype for a new IP or Armored Core game though.

"But there’s absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins."

I don't know but this really seems like he's talking about the formula itself, not necessarily new Dark Souls games. It seems like he is uninterested in doing anything in the formula like spin-off games such as Bloodborne.

I hope it's true because From has potential to make other new games, instead of the same formula. We've had 5 games follow practically the same core formula, it's time for new avenues.

Raven117

I'd LOVE to see them revisit the whole First Person RPG thing ala Kings Field.

If they could get the combat to work in a tactical type fashion, it would once again reinvent a genre.

I kinda want Miyazaki to do his thing...Just let'er rip...not beholden to any one mechanic, device...anything...Just go for it.

I'll buy it.

Fhtagn

I am down for whatever comes next.

His comments about making maps bigger and bigger def makes sense after DS3's enormous individual areas.

What I really hope for is a significant iteration from Souls to a new set of mechanics that are similarly rooted but a significant evolution. One that solves the "just stab them in the butt" boss strat problem more elegantly than just 270 degree weapon swings, for example.

While DS3 has some nice innovations/new ideas (the jailer health drain was particularly shocking/hilarious to me), I feel like some of the areas where DS 3 is conservative (covenants, for example) hint that Miyazaki may be holding back some clever ideas for the next IP.

(Or he's burnt out, but this interview sure makes him sound like he's bursting with energy and ideas.)

Gbraga

60hour highschool Visual Novel featuring Level up waifus from across the souls games.

Believe

The school will have some great lore

I'm in.

But we need more than just level up waifus! Make it a $60 dating sim so we can have all kinds of routes. Lady Maria best Souls Waifu.

Hagi

I'd be more than happy for the souls games to get shelved for a decent amount of time. Give me some new IP and a new Armored Core! Seems we are getting the former and the latter is a possibility.

"But there’s absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins."

I don't know but this really seems like he's talking about the formula itself, not necessarily new Dark Souls games. It seems like he is uninterested in doing anything in the formula like spin-off games such as Bloodborne.

I hope it's true because From has potential to make other new games, instead of the same formula. We've had 5 games follow practically the same core formula, it's time for new avenues.

Agreed.

However, Miyazaki doesn't have to make it [Souls], but if his B team does then I'm on board since they have interesting ideas. They did some good things in DS2, but there's definitely a lot more room for improvement.

Kolx

New IP, cool. Also confirms again that he's done with Dark Souls (and Soulsborne series for that matter, because that's what I get from it).

I wonder if that new IP is one of the next exclusives they develop for Sony.

Does they have a contract to develop exclusives for Sony after BB?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
New-school FROM fans who have only played Souls games and Bloodborne trying to stunt in this thread are cracking me up.
I just looked at the Wikipedia on the company and don't personally see a stunning portfolio of quality titles prior to Souls. Plenty of games I played in there, and lots and lots of mech games, but nothing where I go "Oh man... They made that?! I was so off base." *shrug* Guess we'll have to see what comes next.

"2020: Dark Souls 4: We Really Let These Ideas Bake So It's Truly Thru And Thru New, Fresh, And Excellent"

I do want a 40K Souls. That would be wrong good.

Wagram

New-school FROM fans who have only played Souls games and Bloodborne trying to stunt in this thread are cracking me up.

I've played previous FROM games in the past incl. AC, but people aren't wrong. Armored Core doesn't sell nearly as close to what even Souls does nor has it had universal appeal.

I just looked at the Wikipedia on the company and don't personally see a stunning portfolio of quality titles prior to Souls. Plenty of games I played in there, and lots and lots of mech games, but nothing where I go "Oh man... They made that?! I was so off base." *shrug* Guess we'll have to see what comes next.

King's Field has its fans. Don't think it's for me though. Can't stand first person combat

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
He has been talking about making a 'warmer' game for a while, I think his new project will be a JRPG with a heavy focus on action.

vA4zyEn.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing more fairy tale fantasy, while remaining moody.

Part of the intrigue is seeing how From would approach these IPs, most of which haven't been touched in years. And Kings Field is amazing, slow, and a product of its time, but amazing.

They're making a new IP, but I wonder which publisher they're working with? It would obviously be a big "get" for Sony if they could secure exclusive rights to whatever the next big thing from From Software is.

But I imagine any publisher in the biz would want to sign up From Software after its recent hot streak.

Fhtagn

King's Field (2 in Japan) and IV and Shadow Tower are straight up amazing, albeit hard to get into at first... Once they click, they are fantastic. (I've played them all recently, they hold up.)

The other two KF games are fun but not as great.

MUnited83

For you.
Eh, if a Demon Souls remaster exists, it's not likely From has anything to do with it. I can see it being done by Bluepoint.

Top Bottom