• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki talks future of Dark Souls series, Armored Core and a new IP

K.Sabot

Armored Core 6 with a Souls game budget

on PC

with all the awesome multiplayer stuff from Verdict Day

add a splash of Chromehounds persistence.

Zukkoyaki

Given that they announced Dark Souls III very quickly after launching Bloodborne, I wouldn't be surprised by an E3 announcement from them.

Based on his responses, sounds like the "A Team" is helming a new IP and the "B Team" is working on DLC and working on a new Armored Core. Of course that's mere conjecture on my part.

MilkBeard

Given that they announced Dark Souls III very quickly after launching Bloodborne, I wouldn't be surprised by an E3 announcement from them.

Based on his responses, sounds like the "A Team" is helming a new IP and the "B Team" is working on DLC and working on a new Armored Core. Of course that's mere conjecture on my part.

Yeah, I expect a new game announcement very soon. They have been very quick in their releases as of late.

Wasn't it that we got the Bloodborne announcement only a few months after the release of DS2? I can't remember.

You know Miyazaki did Bloodborne+ DlC along with Dark Souls III at the same time right? They've got the manpower to move people around and despite what people would have you believe it's not as simple as A/B team.

Kent

New IP or no, after Miyazaki's direction of Dark Souls 1 and 3, I'm really looking forward to whatever he attempts next.

I'm not really a fan of the older games of From's that I've played - despite that the two I'm most familiar with, Armored Core and Tenchu, suffered from control schemes that ranged anywhere from "clunky" to "heinously-awful," I always thought that their overall concepts had a lot of potential if they were put into the right hands.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
portbegging for a game that doesn't even exist? radical

A game that doesn't exist, announced for no platforms. You define that as port begging? Radical.

I'm just pointing out that PC Armored Core would print money. Do you disagree?

They'd be crazy not to go PC with the next one after the sales they've been getting with Souls. PC already has more of a traditional background for mech games than weird Japanese action RPGs.

I just hope the hypothetical armored core 6 gets the same love, attention and budget that Souls 3 did. Or hell, like 30% of that would be fine.

Also just throwing this out here but am I crazy for thinking Bloodborne combat is reminiscient of Armored Core? The dashing specifically but it really came out in the hunter vs hunter fights. It's absolutely not a farfetched thing to me for them to go 'sci fi souls'.

Huh, interesting thought. it definitely reminds me of the PS1 games, where there was no super duuude boost and you had to be expeditious with your dodging.

Yeah, I expect a new game announcement very soon. They have been very quick in their releases as of late.

Wasn't it that we got the Bloodborne announcement only a few months after the release of DS2? I can't remember.
They had a trailer ready for TGS the year before they announced it and held off (probably to not overshadow DS2).

We won't have to wait long for Miyazaki's next project.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
New IP or no, after Miyazaki's direction of Dark Souls 1 and 3, I'm really looking forward to whatever he attempts next.

I'm not really a fan of the older games of From's that I've played - despite that the two I'm most familiar with, Armored Core and Tenchu, suffered from control schemes that ranged anywhere from "clunky" to "heinously-awful," I always thought that their overall concepts had a lot of potential if they were put into the right hands.

From wasnt as refined at gameplay back then as they are now, nor did they have the budget or production to realize a lot of the good ideas they did have. Except for the one offs like Otogi funded by MS, they never did

KodaRuss

I really dont want to lose Dark Souls/Bloodborne but I understand that he wants to move on. Hopefully we get some really good copycats out there.

Hope this stops the 'Bloodborne 2 is happening because Sony! And because money! And because I need it!' Crowd

It's pretty obvious. This is willful ignorance at this point. Bloodborne is pretty much a spin off as Dark Souls was to demon souls. Similar game different story. He's got no intention of doing anything similar.

Edit: Apparently not. The Bloodborne fanbase has probably become the most irritating on gaf. Just let it go.

Bloodborne fans are the most irritating on GAF? You know a lot of people say that about Souls fans in general right?

I'm a fan of all of the games, but I don't see why you're so upset here about the idea of a Bloodborne 2. This interview really does nothing to extinguish the idea.

The question asked is "But is this world coming to an end? Is there a chance there would be some kind of DLC, spin-offs or tie-in novels set in this world?"

So yeah, reading between the lines he was talking about wanting to move on from these kind of games (which includes Bloodborne), but the interview was very specifically talking about Dark Souls.

Would you really be surprised if there's a Bloodborne 2 in a few years? I wouldn't. I'm not super obsessed with the idea or think it's a certainty, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if it happens at some stage.

Riposte

lol @ B-team talk in the OP, as if those staffers didn't make DS3 based on DS2 tech during Bloodborne dev and imstead have been waiting in the wings for Our Lord and Savior Miyazaki to throw them scraps.

Gamers do love their cults of personality.

If you repeat a Japanese name enough times, they eventually become a God. Inafune cashed in that, hard.

VertPin

Hope this stops the 'Bloodborne 2 is happening because Sony! And because money! And because I need it!' Crowd

It's pretty obvious. This is willful ignorance at this point. Bloodborne is pretty much a spin off as Dark Souls was to demon souls. Similar game different story. He's got no intention of doing anything similar.

Edit: Apparently not. The Bloodborne fanbase has probably become the most irritating on gaf. Just let it go.

What makes you insist that we won't get one? It was incredibly successful and made a ton of money. Sony owns the IP and I'm sure they want to make use of it.

Bloodborne is another beast, like someone else said. Miyazaki has not ruled out Bloodborne, he has only ruled out Dark Souls.

It just sound like you're bitter towards a game that has a high chance of getting a sequel.

Bloodborne fans are the most irritating on GAF? You know a lot of people say that about Souls fans in general right?

I'm a fan of all of the games, but I don't see why you're so upset here about the idea of a Bloodborne 2. This interview really does nothing to extinguish the idea.

The question asked is "But is this world coming to an end? Is there a chance there would be some kind of DLC, spin-offs or tie-in novels set in this world?"

So yeah, reading between the lines he was talking about wanting to move on from these kind of games (which includes Bloodborne), but the interview was very specifically talking about Dark Souls.

Would you really be surprised if there's a Bloodborne 2 in a few years? I wouldn't. I'm not super obsessed with the idea or think it's a certainty, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if it happens at some stage.

Because it's irritating and even if Miyazaki said specifically Bloodborne 2 isn't happening the same people would come in and say "this doesn't rule out Bloodborne 2" he's expressed disinterest in continuing this style of game in general but people continue to choose to ignore that. I probably come of seeming like I hate Bloodborne, I don't, I love the game the setting and the world. But it seems like ever since people got into it they praise it to no end and get upset when it's not named the best at absolutely everything. I mean it's a great game and my second favorite game of all time but it's not the best thing since sliced bread, that combined with the constant sequel begging and "its not a souls game!1!1!" (Though it is) is grating. People can find the souls community annoying and thats great, but I personally find the Bloodborne fanbase worse.
What makes you insist that we won't get one? It was incredibly successful and made a ton of money. Sony owns the IP and I'm sure they want to make use of it.

Bloodborne is another beast, like someone else said. Miyazaki has not ruled out Bloodborne, he has only ruled out Dark Souls.

It just sound like you're bitter towards a game that has a high chance of getting a sequel.
I've explained this like 5 times already but to put it incredibly bluntly. It's not different enough from Dark Souls to warrant Miyazaki wanting to do a sequel, he's clearly interested in moving on to Something new, completely new. Bloodborne 2 isn't that and because it made money and begging for it doesn't change that. Sony owns Demon Souls, haven't heard anything in that camp for like 7 years now have we? That's a non argument. Sure Sony could make Bloodborne 2 without From. But they won't and considering Miyazaki wasn't even interested in dark souls sequels initially (he did Bloodborne instead after Artorias of the Abyss) I don't see why he'd be particularly interested in Bloodborne 2. That story was fairly conclusive in one iteration.

Because it's irritating and even if Miyazaki said specifically Bloodborne 2 isn't happening the same people would come in and say "this doesn't rule out Bloodborne 2" he's expressed disinterest in continuing this style of game in general but people continue to choose to ignore that. I probably come of seeming like I hate Bloodborne, I don't, I love the game the setting and the world. But it seems like ever since people got into it they praise it to no end and get upset when it's not named the best at absolutely everything. I mean it's a great game and my second favorite game of all time but it's not the best thing since sliced bread, that combined with the constant sequel begging and "its not a souls game!1!1!" (Though it is) is grating. People can find the souls community annoying and thats great, but I personally find the Bloodborne fanbase worse.

I wish this interviewer had just asked about it specifically so he could put it to bed!

Sadly there is a bit of exclusive elitism around Bloodborne, but you know how people can be.

And yeah, I do want him to move on to something totally different. I'm super interested in this new IP being cooked up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
For those people freaking out about no sequel to Bloodborne, its more than likely 99.999999999% chance going to happen.

What part of that interview gave you such confidence for a Bloodborne sequel? Was the absolutely no plan to make one the part that stood out as confirmation for you?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Did you seriously just start your defense off with "I just looked at the wikipedia"? Nice.

Anyways, Kings Field series, Armored Core series, Metal Wolf, Chromehounds.... Your argument doesn't hold much water.

It's pretty funny that Dark Souls fanboys who are so protective of hardcore nature of their beloved games are now saying shit like Armored Core is "too niche" for FROM to develop.
No need to be so hostile, bro. And yes, I looked at Wikipedia because I don't have every single From Software title from their 20-year catalogue memorized. So that invalidates my opinion? Yeah...

It's great that you're a fan of their earlier games, more power to you. But that doesn't mean that someone who has enjoyed more of the companies' recent output can't have an opposing view to yours (and for the record, I've played many of those games) and it still be measured and valid. If you can't carry on a simple exchange without resorting to nastiness and elitism, then it's not worth listening to your views anyway.

Mobius 1

I've been at this hobby for the past 25 years and Bloodborne is one of my favorite video games of all time. I think it's a masterpiece. And as much I'd like more of Yharman and the Old Blood, I think that story is told and there is nothing to add.

Let the magnum opus rest and move on... I can't wait to see what new masterwork Miyazaki will unleash on us unsuspecting fools.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bloodborne fans are the new Demon Souls fans. Imagine if it truly is a one off game. A least Bloodborne is different enough to actually pine for it vs. Demon and Dark Souls

Dang...I wanted B Team to be on some new Souls-ish game, while A Team works on something completely new, but I think you are right.

VertPin

What part of that interview gave you such confidence for a Bloodborne sequel? Was the absolutely no plan to make one the part that stood out as confirmation for you?

It wasn't he interview that gave me confidence. It's been stated several times.

It sold very well.
It was received very well.
Sony owns the IP.
Sony doesn't want another one and done similar to Demon's Souls.
This interview doesn't state that Bloodborne 2 isn't going to end, just that the dark souls universe is over "for now".

Bishop89

Q: What about Armored Core sequel?

A: Personally I want to do it. After all I was involved in three games in the series.

Armored Core is one of the pillars of FROM Software's lineup, but I can't reveal anything at the moment.

FUCK YES, essentially guarantees an AC game within the next couple of years!

Come on man. They were specifically talking about Dark Souls here. It's very specific.

You could point to other interviews which have addressed this issue a little more, like this Gamespot one: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-it-wouldnt-be-right-to-cont/1100-6432425/

Q: Over the last few years we've had a lot of Souls games: Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne. Is there a worry that people may be over-exposed to the franchise?

A: It'd be a lie if I said I have no concerns about that. I don't think it'd be the right choice to continue indefinitely creating Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm considering Dark Souls 3 to be the big closure on the series.

Now THAT implies he's not interested in working on Bloodborne 2!

AlucardGV

Banned
A game that doesn't exist, announced for no platforms. You define that as port begging? Radical.

I'm just pointing out that PC Armored Core would print money. Do you disagree?

i can't either agree or disagree, because i don't have a time travel machine. FROM too can't because they don't read neogaf

anyway, i0ll fully trust FROM in anything they'll do

I could see the B team working on BB2, but honestly if anything they has that much attention to lore, great gameplay mechanics and unique art, I don't care what it is- it will be great.

Vinland

Banned
Want a Blame! inspired game with a mech play ala Knights of Sidonia space sequences.

Basically take Bloodborne, futurize it and bold on Armored Core mechanics. Zero G boss fights souls style with custom mecha thank you very much. Explore megastructure to open up air locks to the next structure zone on foot and mecha travel in open areas and in open vacuum.

jackal27

Banned
Glad to see him kicking back against the (fairly western) idea of infinite sequels as long as money roles in. I like things that have a definite ending. I'm sure more Souls games will come, but at least give the series a break or let other people toy with its style of gameplay for a while.

Can't wait to see what he works on next.

MogCakes

Nothing they make will likely sell as well as a Souls title, at which point no-doubt they will re-evaluate their position.
FROM has a varied history of hit and miss games but they've never been shy of doing weird things. That's what brought them their success and kept them in business long before Demon's Souls became a sleeper hit. Souls-type combat is one of their new hallmarks along with giant robots and dark fantasy, but like the other two it isn't their only goose. They're far from a one-trick pony.

The nature of the business these days is if you have a prize pony, you ride it til its legs fall off. Time, cost and risk is just too high.
Seems like Miyazaki isn't keen on following that trend.

I dunno what's wrong with how Armored Core controls. It's not immediately intuitive, but no mecha game is.

Agree. The learning curve is steep and the games expect you to put effort into learning them. The controls are meant to be very specific to the type of part you install in your unit and the ways of approaching movement are incredibly varied once you learn what they do and how to do them.

sbkodama

I don't like the lore of the soul serie, but hope they can manage a similar quality of gamedesign over armored core and the new ip.

Looking forward to Cyber Souls.

Aren't the devs that did Lords of the Fallen working on something like this?

Anyways, I'm ready for more Armored Core
OIFyT1H.gif

Tactics18

Bloodborne is definitely not a Dark Souls 'spin-off',
and nothing in that interview leads me to think that a sequel is not on the table.

But although I really want a Bloodborne sequel, I'm in for anything Miyazaki and From do next.
Can't wait to see what this new IP is.

Lorcain

I've been at this hobby for the past 25 years and Bloodborne is one of my favorite video games of all time. I think it's a masterpiece. And as much I'd like more of Yharman and the Old Blood, I think that story is told and there is nothing to add.

Let the magnum opus rest and move on... I can't wait to see what new masterwork Miyazaki will unleash on us unsuspecting fools.
That's exactly how I feel too. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games, but it does sound like they're moving on from Soulsborne. Or at least the A team at From is moving on. I'm thankful that I'll get to enjoy Dark Souls 3 for at least another year with the planned DLC.

Top Bottom