• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki talks future of Dark Souls series, Armored Core and a new IP

MilkBeard

If you really want to play Demon's Souls:
plug in a PS3 and play it, it's still great!

I had the game, but sold my PS3 and so I'd really like a PS4 port simply just to be able to play the game. Sony and their damned no backwards compatibility. I would even take a straight port with no enhancements.

I just looked at the Wikipedia on the company and don't personally see a stunning portfolio of quality titles prior to Souls. Plenty of games I played in there, and lots and lots of mech games, but nothing where I go "Oh man... They made that?! I was so off base." *shrug* Guess we'll have to see what comes next.

Did you seriously just start your defense off with "I just looked at the wikipedia"? Nice.

Anyways, Kings Field series, Armored Core series, Metal Wolf, Chromehounds.... Your argument doesn't hold much water.

It's pretty funny that Dark Souls fanboys who are so protective of hardcore nature of their beloved games are now saying shit like Armored Core is "too niche" for FROM to develop.

MilkBeard

I'd be all for this. Hopefully exploration is on his mind a lot as well. ;)

Yeah, I'm sad that we won't be getting anymore Souls, although one thing about Fromsoft is true: a lot of their new IPs take ideas heavily from old ones.

Anyway, as long as Miyazaki's level design and lore is in the game, I will be interested. We know that From loves 'gameplay', so whatever it is, it will be a very gameplay-focused title.

I'm not hugely interested in Armored Core, but I'd give a new one a try.

It should be interesting to see if there's any DS influence in the new IP. I don't mind if it's over for DS for a while or actually forever, but i really don't want this gameplay style to die, because I'm really loving it more and more.

I wouldn't like it at all if it's a PS4 exclusive though, just bring it to all consoles.

MilkBeard

Did you seriously just start your defense off with "I just looked at the wikipedia"? Nice.

Anyways, Kings Field series, Armored Core series, Metal Wolf, Chromehounds.... Your argument doesn't hold much water.

It's pretty funny that Dark Souls fanboys who are so protective of hardcore nature of their beloved games are now saying shit like Armored Core is "too niche" for FROM to develop.
Pretty much all of FromSoftware's titles have been niche, and they've survived this long, where other developers have failed. They know how to live off of niche sales, so there's nothing to worry about.

I don't read this as no more Bloodborne, but it really does sound like Miyazaki is done with Dark Souls. As a huge fan of the series, I'm fine with this. Similar gameplay concepts in new settings is fine, but I'm ready for something different.

Shredderi

And what is actually wrong with a clear list of a studio's portfolio? The guy wanted to know/remind himself of what games From has done in the past and realized he has played many of those games.

Anything Miyazaki I will play. I love his overall style & way of thinking when it comes to games. I recently started DS2 and you can already feel the difference regarding the absence of Miyazaki. Pretty bummed about the no demons souls remaster but I understand.

FelipeMGM

People will prob trash me for this but. Sony might not need Miyazaki at all for another Bloodborne. He already set the tone of that series with the first one, Japan Studio and the B Team at From should be able to make a great sequel of the game.

That is basically what The Old Hunters is I think. From interviews and press releases I even feel that The Old Hunters was more Japan Studio than From's work

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not sure why they would ask From about Demon's Souls remasters? It belongs to Sony and they could put anyone else on it including and most certainly Bluepoint if anyone.

Also, glad to see them really taking this seriously in regards to making a different kind of product with the same impact as Demon's all those years ago

If there is a Bloodborne sequel. Please for the love of Kos dont ruin the amazing lore of the first. This is the biggest thing scaring me about someone other than Miyazaki heading a new Bloodborne because its all but confirmed he wont be doing another.

As for whatever IP he has cooking up, my hype is through the roof. First new game under his leadership at From hopefully means more time to fine tune and polish the game. I dont care if its Souls-like in gameplay I trust the designers at From and Miyazaki to put out something amazing.

Theres been mention of a new IP since 2015. My guess is it will release in 2017 and then Sony and Japan Studio+Some of From will put out a Bloodborne 2 in 2018.

Also INB4 the new game is Sony exclusive....

Ophelion

People will prob trash me for this but. Sony might not need Miyazaki at all for another Bloodborne. He already set the tone of that series with the first one, Japan Studio and the B Team at From should be able to make a great sequel of the game.

That is basically what The Old Hunters is I think. From interviews and press releases I even feel that The Old Hunters was more Japan Studio than From's work

If that's true, that would be fine. Old Hunters was fantastic.

As for Miyazaki himself, I love souls style games and his are always the best, but who knows what sort of incredible game he could come up with allowing himself to create something brand new again. I mean, Souls even had King's Field as a framework. Have we ever seen a Miyazaki-directed game that is completely new?

For all we know, this is a, "If I'd listened to the market, I would've made a faster horse" sort of situation.

Orayn

As much as I love the series, it would be good if they shelved the Souls formula for 4-5 years and blew us away at the start of next gen with a totally new take on it.

Revive Armored Core and work on some completely new IP in the meantime. Historically, they've done plenty of licensed stuff and one or two-off games in a variety of settings, and really only stopped when Souls became a cash cow.

Snaggle

Banned
New IP sounds amazing, they stepped in to become my fave developer right around the time I noticed Capcom going to shit (around Dark Souls 1) so the timing was perfect and after Bloodborne I am confident in whatever project they choose to do next, I just hope it is another 3rd person action RPG.

Also more spinoffs etc from Dark Souls doesn't necessarily mean no Bloodborne 2 right? Do they really consider it to be a spin off of the Souls games? I don't think they do. It's a separate beast although the games have a lot of features in common they are in no way related.

Astral Dog

I dont see the problems, fans should be happy he wants and is working on something a bit more fresh, after 4 DARK SOULS games (and Bloodborne) they deserve the right to try new things.

As expected, a new IP is next, and a Bloodborne sequel is possible after — though I obviously don't know if that's what they'll end up doing. Demon's Souls remaster is basically on Sony if they want to do it. In any case, a new IP + Bloodborne sequel would tie up the other two games that are part of a deal with Sony we've heard about from insiders.

MilkBeard

Even if we don't get a Bloodborne 2, I really hope they take that setting and visual style (Victorian, beasts/vampires) for a new game at some point. It's great and has tons of potential.

And what is actually wrong with a clear list of a studio's portfolio? The guy wanted to know/remind himself of what games From has done in the past and realized he has played many of those games.

The thing is, a lot of From's games aren't immediately gratifying. I can totally picture picking up Dark Souls, playing it for an hour or two and thinking it was sort of shit. I certainly wasn't sold initially.

Many of their other games developed small passionate fanbases. The imaginative desings of Otogi, the atmosphere of Kings Field, the hardcore customization of Armored Core, the fantastic multiplayer of Chromehounds. From have always been a pretty interesting studio even if not all of their games hit the mark!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing they make will likely sell as well as a Souls title, at which point no-doubt they will re-evaluate their position.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey From, wanna make a pile of gold?

Release an Armored Core on PC, with decent online, and that pile is yours.

pablito

I'm a fan of Souls but I am pleased by this information. Keep the world building and atmosphere, but make something new and refreshing. New mechanics, new everything you want to do. We've had 4 Souls like games in 5 years. Yet-Another-Souls-Game would be incredibly disappointing to me.

They should totes port Demon's though. I think that would sate some that still want more Souls.

Orayn

Nothing they make will likely sell as well as a Souls title, at which point no-doubt they will re-evaluate their position.

While you're at least partially right, they're more widely recognized and in a better position now than they've ever been. A "FROM THE MAKERS OF DARK SOULS" trailer at a major event would definitely turn some heads toward a new IP.

I'm fully expecting Armored Core 6 on PC with their new engine and Bamco being one of the more PC-friendly Japanese publishers.

Jobbs

Banned
If they stop making Souls-like games it leaves a huge opening for some other dev to fill the void. Currently no one else is doing it -- The only exception being Lords of the Fallen, which had a few redeeming qualities but ultimately blew.

Orayn

If they stop making Souls-like games it leaves a huge opening for some other dev to fill the void. Currently no one else is doing it -- The only exception being Lords of the Fallen, which had a few redeeming qualities but ultimately blew.

Ni-Oh looks more than a little Souls-like and I'm sure there are others that haven't been revealed yet.

if From is really going to take a complete step back from dark souls, there's absolutely no reason why sony couldn't step in and make a demon's souls 2 or bloodborne 2

Don't see how any of this rules out BB2 but okay

It's not a souls-sequel, it's not a spin off, it's not a tie in

It is its own property sheesh

Mupod

They'd be crazy not to go PC with the next one after the sales they've been getting with Souls. PC already has more of a traditional background for mech games than weird Japanese action RPGs.

I just hope the hypothetical armored core 6 gets the same love, attention and budget that Souls 3 did. Or hell, like 30% of that would be fine.

Also just throwing this out here but am I crazy for thinking Bloodborne combat is reminiscient of Armored Core? The dashing specifically but it really came out in the hunter vs hunter fights. It's absolutely not a farfetched thing to me for them to go 'sci fi souls'.

I don't mind in the slightest if the Dark Souls series is finished. Bloodborne not only showed that they can recapture the same magic with a completely different IP, but doing so allows them to mix things up and experiment a bit more, both in terms of gameplay and atmosphere.

I'd love BB2, but I'm sure I'd love anything new they tried also.

I'd love a return to the Souls style formula in another generation of consoles.

If they aren't gonna resurrect Ninja Blade or Otogi then gimme something new (just multi platform please!)

I don't mind in the slightest if the Dark Souls series is finished. Bloodborne not only showed that they can recapture the same magic with a completely different IP, but doing so allows them to mix things up and experiment a bit more, both in terms of gameplay and atmosphere.

I don't think he intends Bloodborne (or anything similar) when he talks about a completely different IP.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
While you're at least partially right, they're more widely recognized and in a better position now than they've ever been. A "FROM THE MAKERS OF DARK SOULS" trailer at a major event would definitely turn some heads toward a new IP.

The nature of the business these days is if you have a prize pony, you ride it til its legs fall off. Time, cost and risk is just too high.

I can see them doing another co-prodution with Sony Japan as they'll likely be willing to at least partially bankroll the risk (of a new IP), and do an Armored Core game multi-plat with their other team.

Hope this stops the 'Bloodborne 2 is happening because Sony! And because money! And because I need it!' Crowd
Don't see how any of this rules out BB2 but okay

It's not a souls-sequel, it's not a spin off, it's not a tie in

It is its own property sheesh
It's pretty obvious. This is willful ignorance at this point. Bloodborne is pretty much a spin off as Dark Souls was to demon souls. Similar game different story. He's got no intention of doing anything similar.

Edit: Apparently not. The Bloodborne fanbase has probably become the most irritating on gaf. Just let it go.

Mupod

Honestly it's crazy to me that the idea of From Software doing a new IP outside the realm of Soulsborne is strange to some people. I mean even to this day I keep finding out about weird-ass PS2/xbox games From was behind. They may not have all been hits but they are certainly not short of creativity.

Top Bottom