• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

Hello,

I want to buy the Ps3 version and I would like to know something :

- How about the move control ?
Is it good ? I mean really accurate ? no wii shitty control ?

I've played with the move and it's pretty good. Things to note

When playing with the move, before you enter the game calibrate the move at the "XMB" first and then in game for batters box and pitchers location, this reduces the lag to almost non existent.

Batting with the move like anything takes practice, full swing requires you to really get the bat speed up if you want to hit hard or home runs or you can play on rookie type setting and just make a little effort.

Pitching is tough on full pitch controls and you must work and not be discourage.

first select pitch icon, point to location press move button, now to simulate grabbing and throwing the ball pull and hold the trigger to start the process

Full Pitch control has a Meter and a little red arrow for power when you cock your arm backwards, this meter traverse along side the meter.

Now to generate the speed needed how fast you throw the move like a ball, all the while holding the trigger. Green is normal speed, yellow is little faster and red is max. This is while you are in the throwing motion.

Now you must watch the meter while in the throwing motion to release the trigger at the border line, this will determine accuracy. Its tough but once you get the hang of it, it's a nice way to play.

Fielding is tough if you play big bog style by using the trigger to actually catch the ball. Underneath the player circle will change color it's a timing circle for when to pull the trigger green is for a good catch red means you miss yellow 50 50. To throw just make quick gestures towards the base you'll throwing too the harder you throw the and off line you are the worse the throw.

All in all is a fun distraction that can become exhausting.

My next venture is going to be RTTS in 3D playing with the MOVE, too see if I can have full immersion.

Xander51

Dude is right about the crowd. I took my first Vita screenshot when I saw it the first time. Definitely N64 level graphics on some of the crowd members and the turf looks pretty nasty. It's definitely not a particularly impressive showing on many fronts but it's still classic The Show gameplay so I'm enjoying it.

Here is the screen cap I took.. completely undoctored.

i1mxmrEULh465.jpg

Wow that's...kind of ridiculous. Hmm. Thanks for posting that shot.

crpav

Wow I am so picky. I got the ok from my wife to get the game so went to Walmart last night. They had plenty but I passed since I don't want the stupid cover with the "Only at Walmart" and "7000 Diamond Dynasty points" on it. I will go check Kmart at lunch today.....man I wish I had better local buying options closer than 100 miles.

Nightz

Wow I am so picky. I got the ok from my wife to get the game so went to Walmart last night. They had plenty but I passed since I don't want the stupid cover with the "Only at Walmart" and "7000 Diamond Dynasty points" on it. I will go check Kmart at lunch today.....man I wish I had better local buying options closer than 100 miles.

You're not alone. Even though they'll just be sitting on the shelf, I wouldn't want a cover with that crap on it.

siaoliao

Neo Member
Picked it up last night, and picked up right where I left off in MLB 10: sucking in RttS. Definitely need to do some of the practice tips mentioned earlier.

Diamond Dynasty looks like it'll be enjoyable and a time swamp. I created an initial team and trained my roster .. and then lost to the Orioles. Like someone else said, though, a tutorial or guide on just getting started with it would be a great boost.

Meier

Picked it up last night, and picked up right where I left off in MLB 10: sucking in RttS. Definitely need to do some of the practice tips mentioned earlier

I always more or less only play RTTS but I just do it as a pitcher as hitting is nay impossible with the series for me. I've literally never gotten any better at it in years of playing, hah.

In case anyone was wondering, the way to get current MLB rosters into your Vita version is by going to the Data menu and selecting Save Live Roster. This will connect to the servers and download up-to-date real-life rosters for every team. Until you do this, the Yankees won't have Raul Ibanez, the Athletics won't have Manny Ramirez, etc.

Dinosur

Picked it up last night, and picked up right where I left off in MLB 10: sucking in RttS. Definitely need to do some of the practice tips mentioned earlier.

Same here. It is easier to see pitches this year but that hasn't stopped my RTTS guy from batting .167 in the first month.

Very impressed with the game so far though. I had to turn off pulse pitching because it was making my brain hurt plus the timing didn't make any sense, almost like there was controller lag.

SCEA SD, did a really good job with the amount of options in the bull pen.

I love that they added "STRETCH AND TOSS" and not worrying about tiring out your pitcher. I also like "READY AND WAITING", and the pitcher is just chilling and waiting for you to put him in the game when you go back and check on'em and he's still a little warm. Followed by the prompt letting you know hey such and such is ready are you sure you want to put him in the game.

I had to turn off pulse pitching because it was making my brain hurt plus the timing didn't make any sense, almost like there was controller lag.

I agree with the lag. There is definitely something going on with the pulse pitching. No matter how I timed it (hit X as soon as the circle is small, hit X as soon as it's big, hit X as soon as it's in the middle), it always ended big. My control was all over the place. Maybe once or twice I actually got the small circle. I feel like there must be details I'm missing...like its easier to achieve "small circle" on the Beginner setting, or achieving "small circle" depends on your pitcher's confidence or endurance or time of day or the weather or what your pitcher had for lunch. It just doesn't make any sense.

SRTtoZ

I agree with the lag. There is definitely something going on with the pulse pitching. No matter how I timed it (hit X as soon as the circle is small, hit X as soon as it's big, hit X as soon as it's in the middle), it always ended big. My control was all over the place. Maybe once or twice I actually got the small circle. I feel like there must be details I'm missing...like its easier to achieve "small circle" on the Beginner setting, or achieving "small circle" depends on your pitcher's confidence or endurance or time of day or the weather or what your pitcher had for lunch. It just doesn't make any sense.

You just need to time it better. At first I was awful at it but now I get about 80-90% small circles which end up being great pitches. Its easily my favorite way to pitch now...

You just need to time it better. At first I was awful at it but now I get about 80-90% small circles which end up being great pitches. Its easily my favorite way to pitch now...

I'm really digging it too. Meter pitching had gotten really easy. I like having a realistic failure rate, since baseball is actually really hard.

I'm really digging it too. Meter pitching had gotten really easy. I like having a realistic failure rate, since baseball is actually really hard.

If you're a good hitter you only get a hit around 3 out of every 10 times. I'm batting .250 at double A on All-Star and I'm ok with that. As always, the problem for me is Pitch Recognition. It's important to know when you're getting a slider that's going to slip out of the perceived strike zone or a curve ball that will dip away from your bat.

If you're a good hitter you only get a hit around 3 out of every 10 times. I'm batting .250 at double A on All-Star and I'm ok with that. As always, the problem for me is Pitch Recognition. It's important to know when you're getting a slider that's going to slip out of the perceived strike zone or a curve ball that will dip away from your bat.

High fastballs and low curveballs are the devil!

turnbuckle

The high fastball is a weakness of mine. I can pretty much lay off one anywhere else but high. They are just too tempting to swing at.

My hitting generally seems to be all or nothing. I'll either swing at just about every garbage pitch thrown, or I'll take take take take and work the count only to still end up striking out or walking. My pitch recognition skills have never been very good, but I remember the default online camera last year (which never seemed to change online even when I'd change it in my settings) being especially difficult. For a moment in 2010 I started to get above average hitting only to see my online average last year dip below .200.

Hope 2012 is more like 2010 than 2011. I heard the angle online is improved, but haven't had a chance to play yet. Hopefully I'll get some time in this weekend, but March is a hellish month for me workwise. Glad I have a Vita for when I need to take those extended bathroom breaks :p

There is a pitch recognition mini-game everyone can practice with. Also, the weekly challenge right now is very good for some batting practice.

SRTtoZ

I dont hate meter pitching but its an old mechanic and time for something NEW and pulse works great.

SRTtoZ

The high fastball is a weakness of mine. I can pretty much lay off one anywhere else but high. They are just too tempting to swing at.

Same, its the one pitch that comes at you the fastest and its hard to judge so what I do is use "Guess pitch location" UP in the stikezone, so if it goes off I know its a high pitch, if it doenst go off I know its going to be lower in the zone.

codhand

The touch menus in this game are atrocious, DS has a more responsive touch. Not hyperbole.

So the crowd...also the game was moving about 5 fps during this shot....
3vAtY.jpg

Riggs

Banned
Also guy's who have trouble hitting don't be afraid to turn the hitting difficulty down. I been playing the show since it came out , started on ps2 and I still have trouble some days. I play on all star for pitching and hitting.

Turn it down to rookie , once you start owning , pro, and you know the drill. No shame in that. I am far from great at this game, I juts got beat by the fucking pirates and I am playing as the phillies. BE NICE

Razorskin

----- ------
I really need to change position, I start every game in triple A now as a catcher and it's very time consuming, trying to tell the coach I want to be a baseman but he keep saying that they need me there. Any tips?

I put the hitting on rookie and can keep my average above .290.

Cloudy

Banned
Vita version is quite good if you turn off pulse pitching and fix the camera views. I'm enjoying this quite a bit. I feel the graphics could be better though.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The best way to get a small circle when pulse pitching on the Vita is to press the button just after the circle is the biggest. It's stupid.

Cloudy

Banned
Does anyone like the analog swinging in this? I tried it a few times and it kind of sucked. I'll try again in practice mode later though

Cloudy

Banned
I do its the best analog batting system available.

On the Vita maybe lol. 2Ks is much better IMO

That said the game is really good and this is coming from a 2K guy. I like The show much better with meter pitching off. Makes it simpler but it's okay lol

Only issue is the weird ball physics at times and how the ball suddenly gets "huge" on a hit up the middle. Really strange camera work :eek:

Flunkie

Banned
I could give two shits about the crowd or the graphics really on Vita. It's playable, it's still just as fun - so I'm not complaining one bit. The slowdown on the zoomed-up walkup/intros are a non-issue for me as well, as I just press X usually to skip those. Meh. Enjoying RttS a ton!

abrack08

12-6 curveball in the dirt and low changeups are the bane of my existence. Especially the 12-6, makes me look like a fool every time.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm not sure how much the vita is going for and it's a hassle to resell usually. Is it a physical cartridge for the bundle that I could trade in somewhere?

I did the deal the other day and sold the ps3 version on eBay for full price (I did give free shipping though). The vita version was totally out of stock at BB and TRU so you can probably get close to full price ($40) on it :p

I did the deal the other day and sold the ps3 version on eBay for full price (I did give free shipping though). The vita version was totally out of stock at BB and TRU so you can probably get close to full price ($40) on it :p

It's a physical cartridge right? There isn't a physical bundle, it's more of a store bundle that sells the two together not two games in one case right?

Flunkie

Banned
It's a physical cartridge right? There isn't a physical bundle, it's more of a store bundle that sells the two together not two games in one case right?

Just a PS3 version and a Vita version, both physical with their respective cases and media - PS3 disc and Vita cartridge. The deal is only the for the price. No bundle pack.

Top Bottom