• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

cj2121

Just got my copy of The show for PS3, played a game as the Jay's, and started RTTS. While creating a player my PS3 decided to abruptly turn off...then the Yellow light of Death.

I wasn't planning on buying the Vita Version as I never really played the PSP game I bought but I may buy it now just to get my fix. But the $200+ repair cost (for the second time in 6 months) is making it easier to resist.

Just got my copy of The show for PS3, played a game as the Jay's, and started RTTS. While creating a player my PS3 decided to abruptly turn off...then the Yellow light of Death.

I wasn't planning on buying the Vita Version as I never really played the PSP game I bought but I may buy it now just to get my fix. But the $200+ repair cost (for the second time in 6 months) is making it easier to resist.

I have two PS3s, one of the new models and one of the old (80 gig - post BC). The new model ran The Show without issue but whenever I run the game in my 80 gig the fan spins up like crazy. Probably the loudest I've heard it in a long time.

turnbuckle

$200 to repair? Have you tried gophermods? They repaired my 60 gig model a year ago for something like $70-80. Been working fine since, though the fan is and always has been pretty loud.

Just played the Vita version for about 15 minutes....I'm pretty impressed for their first effort. Looks quite a bit better than the PSP version to me. It looks cleaner. Some things to improve on graphically sure but it plays solidly and like others have said there's a little hiccup during cutscenes but even that isn't very major to me.

SRTtoZ

Just picked up all my stuff, Gamestop automatically takes the $20 off vita when you buy them together! Gonna play soon!

graywolf323

still waiting on Best Buy to email me the code for the digital copy I had preordered through them...

don't think I'm going to do that again

Russell over at Operation Sports is looking into the Online Pass issues some people are having:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/540314-update-regarding-online-pass-redemption-ps3-vita.html

The PSN issue with redeeming your online pass has been resolved for the PS3. We are looking into the Vita Online Pass voucher issue. We’ve elevated the priority to the highest possible for this type of issue, and are aggressively pursuing a solution. We truly appreciate your patience and support. For those of you trying to purchase MLB 12 The Show items from the store, the PSN team updates new content each week on Tuesday between the hours of 2pm and 6pm PST.

Shit, if I knew this was something other than the online passes simply not going up over the weekend I would have contacted him on Friday.

I'm considering just holding off on redeeming my Vita code until this is sorted out. :/

Glix

Russell over at Operation Sports is looking into the Online Pass issues some people are having:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/540314-update-regarding-online-pass-redemption-ps3-vita.html

Shit, if I knew this was something other than the online passes simply not going up over the weekend I would have contacted him on Friday.

I'm considering just holding off on redeeming my Vita code until this is sorted out. :/

My Vita code isn't working, I'll give them a little before I call.

SRTtoZ

still waiting on Best Buy to email me the code for the digital copy I had preordered through them...

BB is awful for games. The first and last time I ever used it I pre-ordered the TE bundle of Mortal Kombat. I went to pick it up the day it came out and they said they didnt have enough to fulfill the pre-orders, so I calmly walked to the videogame section and saw one sitting on the shelf.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Just got mine repaired at Game Champ (NYC) for 90 bucks. Runs whisper quiet. Do some research before you drop another $200

Yup, the choppiness is disappointing. I think one of the reasons we don't see broadcast presentation in this game is simply because they couldn't get it running properly in time for release.

I love having The Show on Vita but it's obviously in a rush state. I do appreciate that they focused on importing a near complete feature set from the PS3 version instead of tweaking the graphics but give us barebone options.

Next year I expect the full package.

This is kind of what I feared. Kinda bummed to hear it. :/

I won't be buying it this year.

SRTtoZ

Wow, so the game is fucking awesome. I'm mainly playing the PS3 version to get the hang of it again since I skipped last years. The Vita version is fun too just without some of the bells/whistles that the PS3 version has. The players faces are uncanny...CC sabathia looks like CC, Girardi looks like girardi and the list goes on. They have the Yankee homerun horn in the game too which is a great little touch. I love the crowd espeically...they get super loud in big moments and if a close pitch 'just misses', you hear the crowd reign BOOs! The only weird thing I found so far is the game doesnt fit the screen at first and you need to go into options and stretch it out to fit your TV.

Fuck. Just got home and tried to activate my ps3 online pass and I'm getting a message that SEN is still going through maintenance. The fuck?

I have gripes with the graphics but the gameplay is good.

I have the exact same view of this game.

Being new to the series I didn't know what to expect. But after playing a few exhibition games I can safely say that the gameplay is strong enough that I can ignore the graphics.

short version: I'm enjoying this game a lot however the graphics leave much to be desired .

demolitio

Anyone looking to play online on Vita or PS3, feel free to add "Demolitio" on PSN. I'd like to see how online is after having problems the past few years. It's the one area where The Show needs to work on but the rest of the game is so good that it's often overlooked. Here's to hoping this one is better!

FaidSint

Got the Vita version to go along with my roommate's PS3 version. Just played my first game. I can't hit to save my life!! But after some practice I'm sure I'll figure it out. Lost 2-0 as the Red Sox to the Cardinals. Only 3 hits :(. Oh well.

The Vita version is pretty sweet so far. I haven't noticed any of the slowdown issues that people have been mentioning, in fact, it seems to run quite smoothly. The framerate isnt the highest but I never once was bothered. The graphics range from awesome to shitty. It's funny because when it shows a close up of your batter in the batting box, you see the crowd behind you, first few rows look decent, and the top few rows look like pixelated messes. Its the kind of thing that doesn't remotely bother me, but it is pretty heinous at times.

I'm doing Meter pitching and Zone hitting, which is how I've always played the Show on PS3, and its decent so far. Might have to be a noob and switch to an easier hitting but I'll keep trying. I plan on starting a RTTS player.

As for the PS3 version, looks pretty much the same as ever. We tried out the Diamond Dynasty mode in hopes it'd be like EA's Ultimate Team, which is my favorite shit ever, but it was pretty stupid. The players are all made up so its like a franchise full of RTTS players. If you have the energy to create and train all these players it may be cool, but seems like a lot of work for a little pay off.

Overall I'm excited to keep playing my Vita version, and maybe some PS3 with my roommate. Gotta get good first!!! Need to find some nubs to play with.

SRTtoZ

Got the Vita version to go along with my roommate's PS3 version. Just played my first game. I can't hit to save my life!! But after some practice I'm sure I'll figure it out. Lost 2-0 as the Red Sox to the Cardinals. Only 3 hits :(. Oh well.

The Vita version is pretty sweet so far. I haven't noticed any of the slowdown issues that people have been mentioning, in fact, it seems to run quite smoothly. The framerate isnt the highest but I never once was bothered. The graphics range from awesome to shitty. It's funny because when it shows a close up of your batter in the batting box, you see the crowd behind you, first few rows look decent, and the top few rows look like pixelated messes. Its the kind of thing that doesn't remotely bother me, but it is pretty heinous at times.

I'm doing Meter pitching and Zone hitting, which is how I've always played the Show on PS3, and its decent so far. Might have to be a noob and switch to an easier hitting but I'll keep trying. I plan on starting a RTTS player.

As for the PS3 version, looks pretty much the same as ever. We tried out the Diamond Dynasty mode in hopes it'd be like EA's Ultimate Team, which is my favorite shit ever, but it was pretty stupid. The players are all made up so its like a franchise full of RTTS players. If you have the energy to create and train all these players it may be cool, but seems like a lot of work for a little pay off.

Overall I'm excited to keep playing my Vita version, and maybe some PS3 with my roommate. Gotta get good first!!! Need to find some nubs to play with.

Yep, my pitching is on the money on "All Star" mode but I cant hit to save my life. I got better as the game went on but I only scored 1 run (a mark teixeira blast to center field) but I'll get better. Pulse pitching is great even though its tough. So yea after my first game I lost to the indians 3-1, I did get Gardner and Jeter on base in the bottom of the 9th but Granderson hit into a hard double play which deflated me. Whatever, I fucking love this game.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I got my PS3 and Vita copies in, fired up the Vita version just a few minutes ago, exhibition match with my Rangers vs. the Cards. I'm in the top of the 3rd, no score, with god damned Furcal getting on 1st and then stealing 2nd on me :/

Graphics look amazing, can't believe I have this on handheld and console!

Afrikan

I have been asking about this in threads for a while now. :(

where is there a link to buy digital version of this game? Does any other retailer give this option?

thx

Fuck. Just got home and tried to activate my ps3 online pass and I'm getting a message that SEN is still going through maintenance. The fuck?

Managed to get this working but it took 3-4 times each step of the way. Three tries to login, three times to access the store, three times to download the pass. :/

I won't try my Vita pass until I get the good word that it's safe.

I did manage to transfer my RTTS game to the cloud so I can play it on the Vita while I'm staying at my mom's place for the night. Hopefully everything will work out.

Tried the challenge of the week. Lot's of fun and I'm so glad you can retry to your heart's content.

Edit: FYI. Apparently people are getting the online pass to work via their European account. So importers may have some luck. Do some research before importing though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just played my Vita version and am completely unimpressed.

The graphics are horrible. Next year will be better I'm sure, but I'm somewhat surprised at how bad the game looks.

Glix

WHOA its fucking awesome how the crowd reacts to foul balls and stuff! (VITA)

(never played an iteration of the show before, I don't know if this is new!)

Just played my Vita version and am completely unimpressed.

The graphics are horrible. Next year will be better I'm sure, but I'm somewhat surprised at how bad the game looks.

Horrible is a bit harsh but I think it's fair to be disappointed. Especially after seeing some graphically impressive games at launch.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Horrible is a bit harsh but I think it's fair to be disappointed. Especially after seeing some graphically impressive games at launch.

Yeah, I'm really surprised. Games like Virtua Tennis 4, Uncharted, and UMvC3 all look phenomenal. This looks somewhat like an up-rezzed PSP game.

Yeah, I'm really surprised. Games like Virtua Tennis 4, Uncharted, and UMvC3 all look phenomenal. This looks somewhat like an up-rezzed PSP game.

I think the character models, the bodies not the faces, look pretty good but the rest of the game is pretty much an uprezzed version of the PSP game. I'm glad they ported a near complete PS3 feature set over though. Everything is there sans Diamond Dnyasty and true-broadcast presentation.

Just tried my Vita online pass now and it worked just fine. Going to try and pull my RTTS save from the cloud.

Edit: Downloading from the Cloud now. Curious to see if it maintains the same settings I have on my PS3.

Ugh - I thought I ordered the PS3 version but got the Vita version instead :( I have a vita bit am not impressed with the visuals so I wanted the HD version instead. Overnighted the PS3 version so I can jump in tomorrow.

I know that you can change it, but is there some reason why MLB The Show never fills up the whole screen, and I have to modify it in the settings? It's the only game that does this... Anybody else have this issue?

After playing a few games of Show '12 tonight, I'm sad to see one thing still not being addressed.

I was playing with the Rangers and had Colby Lewis pitching. Lewis got injured pitching and I had to bring in a relief pitcher. Once again, I was forced to bring in someone ice cold and have them only get 8 warmup pitches. In reality, whenever a pitcher comes in to replace an injured pitcher, they are given all the time they need to warmup properly.

Unfortunate that Sony San Diego has still not addressed this.

Wow, that's bullshit.

I know that you can change it, but is there some reason why MLB The Show never fills up the whole screen, and I have to modify it in the settings? It's the only game that does this... Anybody else have this issue?

I'm not sure why this is at all. Doesn't make any sense.

Samus4145

Just tried to bring my mid game save in franchise from ps3 to vita. Franchise loaded up but at the start of the game. Sigh, wishful thinking

They really just should have gotten rid of crowds in the Vita version.
Look at them when I batter walks up to the plate. You will be blinded.

So wait, online passes for both versions still don't work? Ummm.

2 quick questions for you guys:
A) What's your preferred style of hitting
B) Do you guys force 1080p for PS3 version?

Does it make sense to max it out to fill your screen, or might this cause a problem with the game?

I haven't had an issue.

They really just should have gotten rid of crowds in the Vita version.
Look at them when I batter walks up to the plate. You will be blinded.

So wait, online passes for both versions still don't work? Ummm.

2 quick questions for you guys:
A) What's your preferred style of hitting
B) Do you guys force 1080p for PS3 version?

Both worked for me but some people are still having issues with the Vita version.

A) PS3 Analog, PSV I'm not sure yet. Analog feels very different. Might switch to button.
B) No. Too much hassle.

I'm playing with pure analog just to see how it is. And pure analog fielding/throwing, but pulse pitch.

What's the deal with tht big yellow splurge over the middle of my strike zone..?

I'm playing with pure analog just to see how it is. And pure analog fielding/throwing, but pulse pitch.

What's the deal with tht big yellow splurge over the middle of my strike zone..?

I forgot what that was but I turned it off in options. Have no need for it and it's ugly as hell. It should be under general or batter options.

Is there any way to hit home runs using analog batting without doing the square "power hit" option? So, I'm doing the batter practice with Gonzales, and I've got a bunch of warning track power hits after 80 pitches or so. Then I decide to try hitting square every time before loading up... and... in 20 pitches I've hit like 6 home runs. So, 0 / 80 with many going to the warning track, and now 6/20 after hitting square before swinging (analog).

... Can you only hit HR's by selecting "power swing." I've always hated power swing options for that reason. Sort of don't know why the game has one.

Because he wants to come back, but the Yanks lured him in with millions of dollars and a stake in Captain Crunch.

Threw the Vita version in quickly before work, and I'm satisfied. It's a bit rough graphically and chugs somewhat, but I'm fine with it. It'll definitely be better next year, but until then I'm happy with what they put out.

Is there any way to hit home runs using analog batting without doing the square "power hit" option? So, I'm doing the batter practice with Gonzales, and I've got a bunch of warning track power hits after 80 pitches or so. Then I decide to try hitting square every time before loading up... and... in 20 pitches I've hit like 6 home runs. So, 0 / 80 with many going to the warning track, and now 6/20 after hitting square before swinging (analog).

... Can you only hit HR's by selecting "power swing." I've always hated power swing options for that reason. Sort of don't know why the game has one.

Yeah, I tend to hit more home runs without hitting the square to be honest.

An incredibly annoying thing is when you're in practice mode and your idiot batter goes and takes 3 practice swings as you wait for him ... it's like ... c'mon man, you're in practice, you don't need the batter to act lifelike between pitches.

I get it for being lifelike... jus ... annoys me :)

Good to know about HR's. Do you use analog hitting?

An incredibly annoying thing is when you're in practice mode and your idiot batter goes and takes 3 practice swings as you wait for him ... it's like ... c'mon man, you're in practice, you don't need the batter to act lifelike between pitches.

I get it for being lifelike... jus ... annoys me :)

Good to know about HR's. Do you use analog hitting?

I do use analog hitting. Took a while to get used to it. Someone has a wonderful video around here regarding hitting in the show. It's all about timing and discipline.

Top Bottom