• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

nocode said:
Well, yeah, Reyes wasn't hitting HR's every ab. Of course someone else has to bat him in. When he is healthy, he moves himself over though, and puts himself in scoring position. He also makes pitchers balk
joking, even though he really does fuck with their heads when on base

Which is why it is so frustrating watching him still constantly getting under pitches while he's trying to hit one out of the park.

Alderson doesn't like him very much, from early indications, and if he asks for a 100 million contract (which he absolutely will) he ain't staying here.

I know how valuable he can be when he's right, but how often is that? Why hasn't he learned to take a better approach at the plate? He has the physical tools to be an all time great but he just isn't very intelligent (baseball intelligence, anyway).

Sergio Mitre traded to the Brewers for Chris Dickerson. Maybe Garcia is getting the long man job out of the bullpen. He said he had no problems working out of the pen.

Maxim726X said:
Alderson doesn't like him very much, from early indications, and if he asks for a 100 million contract (which he absolutely will) he ain't staying here.
You're kinda right.
Sandy Alderson said:
"Speed is his game, but in order for that speed to work for him offensively, he’s got to be on base. I think he’s acknowledged that. If Jose Reyes had a .400 on-base percentage, I don’t know that anybody would be debating this, given what else he does."

eznark

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Sergio Mitre traded to the Brewers for Chris Dickerson. Maybe Garcia is getting the long man job out of the bullpen. He said he had no problems working out of the pen.

This makes the Brewers significantly worse in two ways:

1. Mitre will be pitching for the Brewers
2. Carlos Gomez is now the only centerf ielder on the team

eznark said:
Yeah, I'm trying to decide between Green Light and Swing for the Fences
Yeah, they are the best. I feel like the uniform flying out in "Swing for the Fences" makes it look just a tiny bit off. If it weren't for that, I'd pick that one.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
eznark said:
This makes the Brewers significantly worse in two ways:

1. Mitre will be pitching for the Brewers
2. Carlos Gomez is now the only centerf ielder on the team
Time to call off the parade.

Macattk15 said:
Mets fan. Watching your shitshow can't be much better or more fun.
Little bit better than watching 61-101 ball two out of the past three seasons. But this year should be a bit more fun for both teams.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Windu said:
*Swoon*

Joe's also in an ad for Minneosta Tourism where he sings a couple bars. Commentators on the Star Tribune again are ripping him. My favorite:

Moran said:
This is another "feel good" article for the local hometown hero Joe Mauer intended to deflect attention from his below expectations baseball performance. It's purpose is to show what a "regular guy" Mauer is so that we'll let his subpar performance slide and not criticize his ballplaying.
Joe Mauer, the only subpar catcher to win three batting titles.

LJ11

Maxim726X said:
Which is why it is so frustrating watching him still constantly getting under pitches while he's trying to hit one out of the park.

I know how valuable he can be when he's right, but how often is that? Why hasn't he learned to take a better approach at the plate? He has the physical tools to be an all time great but he just isn't very intelligent (baseball intelligence, anyway).

You can say the same shit about Wright.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Lambtron said:
*Swoon*

Joe's also in an ad for Minneosta Tourism where he sings a couple bars. Commentators on the Star Tribune again are ripping him. My favorite:

Joe Mauer, the only subpar catcher to win three batting titles.
Lol he should keep his day job.

Macattk15

bluemax said:
Carlos Silva is getting released.

Makes me giggle a little bit. Especially if Milton somehow keeps his cool and performs as he has in ST this year.

CajoleJuice said:
Little bit better than watching 61-101 ball two out of the past three seasons. But this year should be a bit more fun for both teams.

I dunno man, I'd rather have no hope than have it dashed away in the late Summer. I never gave into the retarded hype the M's got last season.

Windu

CajoleJuice said:
Not quite. It's like he has UN-learned how to hit.
DVYQo.jpg

LJ11

CajoleJuice said:
Not quite. It's like he has UN-learned how to hit.

Right, he peaked too early, instead of Reyes who never quite reached his mark.

Still, I doubt Wright is with this team past 2013. Both of them are gone after their contracts are up. Team lost $50m last year, will lose more this year baring a miracle, money's tight. Thankfully they have SNY to save their butts.

Whatever, just wasted potential at this point. Wouldn't mind seeing Wright moved for some prospects, we aren't competing any time soon, his game may continue to decline, may be able to resurrect/bounce back playing somewhere else. Feel bad keeping him around in this shithole park.

Maxim726X

LJ11 said:
Whatever, just wasted potential at this point. Wouldn't mind seeing Wright moved for some prospects, we aren't competing any time soon, his game may continue to decline, may be able to resurrect/bounce back playing somewhere else.

Sadly I agree completely, at least about the team not being able to compete for another few years. Wright has proven that he can perform when he isn't the only person that's hitting in the lineup, though. And at least he can stay healthy.

I think he'll be a lifer. He's the face of the franchise, after all.

LJ11

He's the face of the franchise aka he was the only white guy who spoke well enough to do interviews. Faces change.

31 years old when his contract is up, shit only gets worse at that age. If Wilmer actually turns out to be a good prospect, and his arm can make the throws (not like Wright's can), 3B is his best bet. Much too slow for the OF from what you read/hear.

Edit: Don't want to sound like I'm bashing the guy, like him a lot, just reality more than anything.

nocode

You guys do realize that Wright still had 36 doubles, 29 hr, 103 rbi's in 587 ab on a team filled with minor league nobodys last year right? You're talking like he completely sucks and can't compete anymore.

Edit: Hey, I posted that before your edit. Not fair!

Windu

well no one said he sucks, he just isn't a mvp type player anymore.
Code:
2005 142 wRC+ (5.8 fWAR)
2006 133 wRC+ (4.9 fWAR)
2007 155 wRC+ (8.6 fWAR)
2008 143 wRC+ (7.6 fWAR)
2009 127 wRC+ (3.5 fWAR)
2010 127 wRC+ (4.1 fWAR)

LJ11

Yeah, but he had 3 months of sub 800 ops and one month was sub 700. September really boosted his HR total. June was his big month. Remember him taking walks repeatedly in April, he was OB constantly, his walks kept dropping after that.

Plus he was all over the place with is plate positioning, he'd be on top of the plate for a few weeks, way off of it for a few, it was a mess. Really do think the pressure and park get to him, had a different approach every month, or so it seemed.

Edit: He basically was the best player in the NL until the ASB. It's all mental with Wright, seems soft. Cue the laughing, but it's true, the pressure gets to him when he's the main guy.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Good news guys! Lidge is on the DL! Now he won't melt down and ruin games for us!
It looks like the years of unbelievable good health has caught up to the phillies this year. Already Utley and Lidge are out and there will be more. The phllies I believe have both the oldest starting lineup and oldest starting rotation in baseball this season. That will hinder them this season.

LJ11 said:
You can say the same shit about Wright.
Well wright has an excuse. His power hitting and patience declined specifically after getting beaned in the head by Soriano. I don't think he has been as confident at the plate ever since.

Was it Soriano that hit him actually? I can't recall exactly.

Maxwell House said:
Well wright has an excuse. His power hitting and patience declined specifically after getting beaned in the head by Soriano. I don't think he has been as confident at the plate ever since.

Was it Soriano that hit him actually? I can't recall exactly.
It was Matt Cain.

Maxwell House said:
Well wright has an excuse. His power hitting and patience declined specifically after getting beaned in the head by Soriano.
You're wrong about his power, considering that came back in 2010, and he didn't have much of it in 2009 before the beaning either. With regards to patience, that might be the case, who knows. But really, like LJ said, he was practically the best player in baseball in the first half last year with a .314/.392/.532 slash line going into the ASB, and that was after the beaning, too.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
CajoleJuice said:
He was practically the best player in baseball in the first half last year with a .314/.392/.532 slash line going into the ASB, and that was after the beaning, too.
Morneau's slash line up until the knee in his head right before the ASB? .345/.437/.618. Cry. He was playing absolutely out of his mind before the concussion. 5.3 fWAR in 81 games.

This isn't relevant to the topic at hand, but I am still so sad he didn't get to finish his season.

Sanjuro

bean breath said:
What kind of condiments would you put on said burgers?
Burgers? Mostly anything can go. I usually prefer a spicy brown mustard and some hot sauce. Raw onion, pickles, letuce, tomato, and cheddar.

Jon

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Burgers? Mostly anything can go. I usually prefer a spicy brown mustard and some hot sauce. Raw onion, pickles, letuce, tomato, and cheddar.

That sounds like a very pungent burger.

Sanjuro

Jon said:
That sounds like a very pungent burger.
Depends where. That's what I normally get at Five Guys. Their hot sauce isn't too overwhelming.

I love the Sirichai sauce on sausage sandwich. That offers a bit more of a kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom