• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mn2DXbo.jpg

Yordano Ventura’s final year filled with family turmoil, emotional distress

Ascending into the clouds, abruptly spiraling downward and weaving through cratered flood plains, the 30-mile road from San José de Ocoa to Juan Adrián is widely known to be treacherous.

A local will tell you that 50 people have died in the last year on the new second half of the route from Rancho Arriba, a number at which authorities scoff even while acknowledging the death toll rises routinely.

The passage is rife with every sort of caution sign. They plead with drivers to honk their horns moving into blind curves and implore them to slow down and get in low gear and turn lights on even by daylight and “Proteja su Vida” (protect your life) by wearing seat belts.

“It’s not a secret that it’s a dangerous road,” said Col. Diego Pesqueira of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, adding, “It’s a road people know they shouldn’t drive after dark.”

Yet on this unforgiving highway, largely unlit and shrouded in fog, here drove a heedless Yordano Ventura between approximately 3 and 5 a.m. on Jan. 22.

There's also an unreported event of Yordano going to hospital in Arizona in March of last year in this article. His late girlfriend says it was an attempted suicide, but apparently it's shrouded in skepticism.

Dude couldn't handle the fame. Rose up too quckly. Sad. Article goes into detail on how things were going for Ventura before his death.
kcstar said:
Too much, too soon.

In the final year of his life, he was alienated from his mother, with whom he last spoke on Feb. 14, 2016, married a woman who was already married, and experienced a series of bizarre episodes involving Sangiovanni that would seem exaggerated in a telenovela.

One event, though, was more than mere drama.

In March 2016, Ventura was taken to a hospital in Arizona after overdosing on medication. Sangiovanni said he had attempted suicide, though some close to him are skeptical of that conclusion.

Whatever happened that day, Ventura’s personal life had become complicated for the young man from a remote Dominican resort town.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article133099124.html#storylink=cpy

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Dude couldn't handle the fame. Rose up too quckly. Sad. Article goes into detail on how things were going for Ventura before his death.

That's a shame.

With all my anxiety, I'm not sure how I would be able to handle all that fame so quickly as well.

Yeah, I can't imagine how much pressure he was dealing with in having to be what was expected of him as a talented young pitcher. I mean it seemed like he was just in the minor leagues and, then, he came up, had an amazing rookie season, pitched a spectacular game in Game Six of the 2014 World Series, got a contract and had more money than he probably even imagined he would have in his life and that contract helped provide pressure on him to perform at the highest level that he can. It doesn't help he was in a foreign country when asked to do that. Man...

This article was hard to read at times, but I'm glad I read to, even slightly, better understand what he went through and what he had faced in his life.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jeff Passan
‏@JeffPassan

Would players ever agree to starting extra innings with a runner on second base? Tony Clark's answer was very simple. "No." <laughs> "No."

So...

Hosmer said Sunday that he, his agent Scott Boras and the Royals are discussing a contract extension, but indicated that he will test free agency if the sides do not strike a deal by Opening Day.

but the Royals anticipate that he will seek a 10-year deal, knowing that a number of high-revenue clubs — including the Red Sox, Mets and Phillies — could seek a first baseman next off-season.

Hos, no team is dumb enough to give you ten years. Not even the Red Sox. Don't even bother.

So...

Hos, no team is dumb enough to give you ten years. Not even the Red Sox. Don't even bother.

I honestly hope the Royals don't take an extension on him. I would rather have Moustakas over Hosmer on an extension, but Dozier and Cuthbert are right behind him as third basemen in the organization. First base isn't anywhere near as good, but I wouldn't take on Hosmer again on an extension, which would probably be overpay.

No way is Hosmer getting ten years from anyone...

Let him walk, KC. Guy's getting paid $13 million this season after posting a fWAR of -0.2, his third season of zero or less. Ten years is insanity.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
SportsNet New York &#8207;@SNYt

Neil Walker and the Mets are reportedly close to a contract extension

How 10 Facebook comments tell the story of Dexter Fowler, the Cardinals and America in 2017

At 2:27 p.m. Saturday, a Facebook page called St. Louis Cardinals True Fans linked to a story with an attention-grabbing headline: ”Cardinals Outfielder Expresses Discontent With President Trump." Within two minutes, the first comment appeared underneath the post.

”Keep your mi d (sic) on baseball..."

Three more streamed in succession.

”Nobody cares"

”Exactly! We don't care why (sic) your political views are!"

”Shut up and play"

Then came the fifth comment, which asked an important question.

”Did any of you actually read what he said?"

Dexter Fowler, the marquee acquisition of the St. Louis Cardinals' offseason, a center fielder to whom they guaranteed $82.5 million, neither had mentioned the president by name nor criticized his policies. Over the next 24 hours, True Fans commenters proved that mattered none. An ugly, sometimes-racist, often-ignorant torrent of judgment spewed from some of the 100,000-plus fans who populate the page. This was America in 2017 foisting itself on America's pastime.

Welcome to modern American sports, where we champion people who are active politically, and at the same time, loathe and begrudge them.

Parch

WTF is Levine doing? Fucking idiot.
Levine doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. The Yankees won the arbitration case so just shut the fuck up about it. Betances and the MLBPA were perfectly willing to accept the arbitration decision and move on, but Levine gotta run his mouth.

The whole issue does bring up a point about how arbitration might not be up to speed on the value of quality set up pitchers. You can't just look at saves as reliever value. It's become pretty obvious that a couple of sure thing, late inning performances can make a middle reliever one of the most valuable players on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom