• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberto Luongo is another, though it's not barfing.

giphy.gif

I think it's overstated personally but yeah, it is pervasive. I don't care so much about the whole "best fans" thing so much as I care about the racism. That's bad, but every team is like that unfortunately. Baseball's a pretty racist sport from top to bottom with a long history of it that I'm not sure will go away anytime soon.

My point is more that every team has their warts. And that talking about the Cardinal Way being the White Way is bullshit when the Cubs ownership (excepting Laura) poured millions into supporting a white supremacist for President. Wonder what kind of message that sends to Cubs players?

players don't care about evil owners, and it's pretty easy to disassociate there anyways.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anthony DiComo @AnthonyDiComo

The Mets have renamed their Spring Training facility from Tradition Field to First Data Field.

Had to go look up the numbers, didn't realize how long Buehrle was in Chicago... 12 years, 161 wins, 3.83, 2,500 innings.

Seems a bit fringe for a retired number for a franchise as old as the Sox. He's only 6th in career wins, heck Wilbur Wood was arguably a better pitcher for the Sox back in the early 70s. But hey, good for Buehrle.

- Perfect game
- World Series win
- Pitching face of the White Sox for much of the early 2000's
- Workhorse (which is overused in Buehrle's case, but it sums him up rather well)

players don't care about evil owners, and it's pretty easy to disassociate there anyways.

I'm not sure this is true at all. Players care about money at the end of the day, but I'm sure they care about what ownership does with the money the players earn them.
maybe Arrieta will sign an extension because of it
Especially if this administration starts to fuck with Chicago, as Trump has suggested on numerous occasions.

Either way, Cubs fans have zero moral high ground to stand on re: racism in baseball so long as the Ricketts own the team. The Cardinal Way, as dumb as it is, isn't even a blip on a radar compared to what the Ricketts do in terms of perpetuating white supremacy.

other teams can obviously continue to call the Cardinals like they are

His loyal supporters see a Hall of Fame career, the best of fan-friendly examples and the top power hitter in Chicago Cubs history. His critics see stats that were allegedly inflated by performance-enhancing drug, corked bats and an ugly end.

But Sammy Sosa's numbers don't tell the whole story, for better or worse.

"Sometimes people make a comment, people talk, but they don't know how I go about my business," Sosa told ESPN.com. "One thing I do not understand: A lot of teammates, I helped them a lot, but they have me like I was one of the worst people in the world.

"Regardless of what happened, nobody will scratch my number from the board. I have no problem with Chicago or the new front office. It is a surprise [how things are today]. ... I gave them all my life when I was playing. I asked myself, I really ask myself, 'What have I done so wrong that the people today sometimes treat me like I don't deserve what I did?'"

In Defense of Sammy Sosa

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
- Perfect game
- World Series win
- Pitching face for much of the early 2000's
- Workhorse

This could also describe Matt Cain with SF until his recent injuries (and push the early 00s to mid 00s pre-Lincecum...even in the early Zito years, Cain was clearly the guy).

Vintage Matt Cain would sure be great to see again this season. :(

This could also describe Matt Cain with SF until his recent injuries (and push the early 00s to mid 00s pre-Lincecum...even in the early Zito years, Cain was clearly the guy).

Vintage Matt Cain would sure be great to see again this season. :(

So by that margin, would you be ok with Cain's number being retired, as it came to it?

zulux21

So by that margin, would you be ok with Cain's number being retired, as it came to it?

to be fair Buehrle has nearly twice the WAR of cain :p

as a white sox fan I am happy to see Buehrle get his number retired.
it's not like it's a popular number anyways :p

still can't decide if Buehrle has a legit shot at HOF or not.

at the very least he is the only one that recently retired that is even up for debate because konerko sure as hell isn't.

XiaNaphryz

Cain was the first major core piece of the championship run, and is the active leader in innings pitched (if he has even a decent season as a starter, he'll break into the Top 10 for franchise leaders for innings pitched). There are others I'd want to see getting their number retired first obviously (I mean, Bonds is still waiting), but I wouldn't consider it an outrage.

to be fair Buehrle has nearly twice the WAR of cain :p

as a white sox fan I am happy to see Buehrle get his number retired.
it's not like it's a popular number anyways :p

still can't decide if Buehrle has a legit shot at HOF or not.

at the very least he is the only one that recently retired that is even up for debate because konerko sure as hell isn't.

Buehrle isn't getting into the HOF, will probably need the Veteran's Committee to get even close.

Cain was the first major core piece of the championship run, and is the active leader in innings pitched (if he has even a decent season as a starter, he'll break into the Top 10 for franchise leaders for innings pitched). There are others I'd want to see getting their number retired first obviously (I mean, Bonds is still waiting), but I wouldn't consider it an outrage.

Yeah, Bonds would be (deservedly) first in line.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Buster Olney‏@Buster_ESPN

Part of intentional walk rule: If a reliever is summoned into the game and an IBB is issued, this will count as a batter faced.

zulux21

Buster Olney‏@Buster_ESPN

Part of intentional walk rule: If a reliever is summoned into the game and an IBB is issued, this will count as a batter faced.

that makes sense, I mean it's still going to be credited as a walk to the pitcher so it only makes sense it counts as a batter faced.

rekameohs

Banned
Has a pitcher ever come into a game and never thrown a pitch before? Because now it's possible.
It could've happened if a pitcher came in a tie, bottom of the ninth, 1st and 3rd. Pickoff throw to first goes wild, walk off error. A pitcher could also get a win without throwing a pitch by picking someone off.

But now a pitcher can get a loss without even throwing the ball to anyone!

BFIB

Reliever called in, batter change, IBB, next batter that was going to come up also gets changed, reliever swapped out.
Commercial break when reliever comes in, commercial break when hitter is lifted, commercial break when reliever is swapped again.

XiaNaphryz

Commercial break when reliever comes in, commercial break when hitter is lifted, commercial break when reliever is swapped again.

And then after a 21 pitch at-bat, there's a close call at first base triggering a video review, and then eventually the third out is finally called and we cut to commercial for the half-inning change with the team that just left the mound protecting their 4 run lead!

I'm not sure this is true at all. Players care about money at the end of the day, but I'm sure they care about what ownership does with the money the players earn them.
maybe Arrieta will sign an extension because of it
Especially if this administration starts to fuck with Chicago, as Trump has suggested on numerous occasions.

Either way, Cubs fans have zero moral high ground to stand on re: racism in baseball so long as the Ricketts own the team. The Cardinal Way, as dumb as it is, isn't even a blip on a radar compared to what the Ricketts do in terms of perpetuating white supremacy.

other teams can obviously continue to call the Cardinals like they are

i just think it's dumb to compare evil owners with things the actual team and fan base control. we're not rooting for owners. i understand that's an arbitrary line to draw, but it's always been pretty easy for me to separate the owners with the actual team operation of baseball people.

gamz

I think it's overstated personally but yeah, it is pervasive. I don't care so much about the whole "best fans" thing so much as I care about the racism. That's bad, but every team is like that unfortunately. Baseball's a pretty racist sport from top to bottom with a long history of it that I'm not sure will go away anytime soon.

My point is more that every team has their warts. And that talking about the Cardinal Way being the White Way is bullshit when the Cubs ownership (excepting Laura) poured millions into supporting a white supremacist for President. Wonder what kind of message that sends to Cubs players?

Players only deal with Tom Ricketts and I imagine barely. Theo and staff runs the team Tom just supplies the money. He's always been a hands off owner and I don't think the players care what his parents do with their money.

bebop242

Players only deal with Tom Ricketts and I imagine barely. Theo and staff runs the team Tom just supplies the money. He's always been a hands off owner and I don't think the players care what his parents do with their money.

I would say their trip to the White House while Obama was still there supports this too.

BFIB

Wainwright paid to have the entire Spring Training squad to go to an escape room.

Fowler is also instituting Hawaiian shirt day. Matheny must be seething.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom