• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Expansion concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Part of baseball's problem (and the NFL to some extent) is that they built these stadiums to host 45-50K a night back when the economy was rocking in the 90's. I know this will sound ludicrous in the ears of Owners but a 35K-40K stadium looks better since it won't take as much to fill up. Empty seats look really bad. Just ask Nascar.

Most new parks that have been built in the last 15 or so years are in the 35-40k range.

Josh5890

I actually think a team should move to KY. I bet it would work in Louisville

Would Cleveland ever move?

Potential movers: A's, Rays, Marlins,

Potential Spots: Louisville, Memphis/Nashville, Charlotte, Portland

Louisville is a hard sell due to its proximity to Cinny.

Cleveland will never move. The Indians have been around since 1901.

Josh5890

Most new parks that have been built in the last 15 or so years are in the 35-40k range.

Correct, which is good. But there are still those mega stadiums that have tens of thousands of empty seats every night. Even Atlanta is downsizing with their new stadium. Colorado certainly doesn't need a 50K stadium.

nillapuddin

Doubt it, the franchise (several name changes) has been there since 1901.

good point, yeah

Card carrying members of #BFIB down there.

you take that back!

Louisville is a hard sell due to its proximity to Cinny.

I know, it hurts me to think that Kentuckians wouldnt be Reds fans, but I think the city would be good for it. Especially if they were in a different league, you could still cheer for both

nillapuddin

Okay, heres my pseudo realistic map

zOblPDZh.png

Substitutes:
San Antonio; for either Memphis/Nashville, New Orleans
Charlotte; for all those + Louisville

heres my, NeverGunnaHappenInAMillionYears Map

KpId8wYh.png

Okay, heres my pseudo realistic map

zOblPDZh.png

Substitutes:
San Antonio; for either Memphis/Nashville, New Orleans
Charlotte; for all those + Louisville

heres my, NeverGunnaHappenInAMillionYears Map

hh80SLFh.png

Not sure the O's/Nats would agree to be in the same division (or league for that matter). They're too close to be actual divisional rivals. It'd be no different with the Yankees and Mets. Being in different leagues is how the close proximity works.

nillapuddin

Not sure the O's/Nats would agree to be in the same division (or league for that matter). They're too close to be actual divisional rivals. It'd be no different with the Yankees and Mets.

Really? thats weird.

edit: added about NYY and NYM

yeah I got you then.

okay, sub in Pittsburgh

Really? thats weird.

edit: added about NYY and NYM

yeah I got you then.

okay, sub in Pittsburgh for one of them I guess

I think it'd be fun to have Pittsburgh as a rival to the O's for two reasons. 1: It'd mirror the Ravens/Steelers rivalry and 2: The O's/Pirates played each other in the 72 and 79 World Series (PIT won both). Some Oriole fans hold a grudge against the Pirates.

Chris R

All these redrawn maps, none of them getting the west right.

Just swap the Rockies and Padres and then you are on the right track.

Mariners/As/Angels/Padres is the Pacific Division, SF/LA/Rockies/Arizona is the Western Division.

nillapuddin

All these redrawn maps, none of them getting the west right.

Just swap the Rockies and Padres and then you are on the right track.

Mariners/As/Angels/Padres is the Pacific Division, SF/LA/Rockies/Arizona is the Western Division.

Why is it you say that?

Im sure the Padres could use a DH in their huge ass park, but why so definitive?

Not sure the O's/Nats would agree to be in the same division (or league for that matter). They're too close to be actual divisional rivals. It'd be no different with the Yankees and Mets. Being in different leagues is how the close proximity works.

Works for Texas and Houston.

I'd rather Calgary gets a team over Montreal.

everyone else can take a hike. Montreal isn't interested in baseball anymore.
Been to Montreal lately? I guess no. There's Expos shit sold everywhere.

Calgary has zero baseball pedigree. Zero.

Miami won't be going anywhere with that new monstrosity of a park that was jus built. Maybe move some teams that haven't won a title in the last few decades or century.

Zeke

As a San Antonio native I'd pass on the mlb tbh. Nelson Wolff who is a well known figure and retired judge and former mayor has been pushing for a downtown AAA stadium for a bit now. The brewers triple a affiliate would come to town if the stadium is built is what is being reported. I'd personally rather get an mls team here but that's just me.

Vestal

Gold Member
Still can't believe there is not a professional baseball Team in Puerto Rico. While the economy in PR might be shitting itself, PR is one of the biggest producers of baseball stars, and puertoricans love anything basball.

PR has 2 national pass time sports, Boxing and Baseball. End of story

Works for Texas and Houston.

Been to Montreal lately? I guess no. There's Expos shit sold everywhere.

They are close, but nowhere as close as BAL is to WAS and NYY is to NYM. Each example is in the same TV market. Houston and Texas are entirely different TV markets.

Still can't believe there is not a professional baseball Team in Puerto Rico. While the economy in PR might be shitting itself, PR is one of the biggest producers of baseball stars, and puertoricans love anything basball.

PR has 2 national pass time sports, Boxing and Baseball. End of story

Can P.Ricans afford to buy tickets that support a circa $60m payroll?

How will they entice American FAs to live in PR for 6 months/year?

Does PR have a MLB standard stadium?

They are close, but nowhere as close as BAL is to WAS and NYY is to NYM. Each example is in the same TV market. Houston and Texas are entirely different TV markets.

I believe they both share all of Texas as their TV market.

edit: Yup

I'd be fine with it. There's 162 games in an MLB season, so teams will still play plenty of their interdivisional rivals... Like the Red Sox and Rays have formed a fairly bad blood rivalry over the last 15 years, and they've turned into scrappy games, and while TB would be out of the East, I'm sure they'd still play a few series a year.

Parch

Not completely zero. Calgary supported triple-A for many years, but yeah, Montreal is really the only other Canadian option. It would be interesting to see Vancouver try, but I don't think it's realistic.

The loss of triple-A baseball in western Canada is a bit of a heartbreaker for me. Not unlike the loss of the Expos, there was a whole lot of baseball politics involved with that.

As much as I'd love to have a MLB team here in New Orleans, the AAA team here doesn't exactly light attendance numbers on fire (though new ownership is trying to change that).

Also, I think the entertainment dollar would be stretched thin with a NFL, NBA, and MLB team in the city.

San Antonio makes more sense if you're looking for an expansion city in the South.

thefro

I can't see Louisville supporting a MLB team since it would kill the Reds (who don't have a huge market anyway).

They should have a NBA team there though.

Charlotte/Montreal makes sense to me.

Nah. The Wild Card is great for baseball and fans. I love it.

If they went to that structure, they'd have to drop the wild card entirely, or institute a first round bye. You can't have one wild card, as that would mean 5 teams would make the playoffs. Who would the 5th team play? Two, would make things even worse, unless a bye was introduced for the top-2 teams in each league (a la, the NFL, which would have the same structure).

I would love for Austin to get a team, but I doubt that happens.

Yeah. why not Austin, TX?

Booming, population growth, lots of industry/corporate sponsor opportunities, young/hip.

EDIT: Beaten by JP Morosi at Fox Sports

Which locations make the most sense for MLB expansion?

2. Austin

Austin could be MLB’s best expansion option in the United States — a distinction that should crystallize further in the coming years.

Austin is a haven for tech firms and startups — and, consequently, the Millennials whom MLB wants to capture through its marketing efforts. Austin is the only top-50 metropolitan area in the U.S. with double-digit population growth since the 2010 census, according to the Austin Chamber of Commerce, with one estimate projecting 2.6 million people will live in the metro area by 2025.

Austin is the nation’s No. 39 television market, according to Nielsen. That would be the smallest in the major leagues, a distinction that currently belongs to Cincinnati. But Austin’s effective size is greater than that, with San Antonio, the No. 32 market, roughly an hour’s drive away. (San Antonio is a legitimate expansion candidate in its own right, but Austin has the more rapidly growing population and higher per capita income.)

Austin’s appeal is enhanced by the fact that it doesn’t already have a major professional sports franchise; it does have a Fortune 100 company headquartered in the area (Dell Inc.) and a Baseball Hall of Famer/businessman/former MLB owner (Nolan Ryan) who could lend legitimacy to Austin’s effort.

A critic might say that Texas already has two major-league franchises, including one — the Houston Astros — that in 2015 surpassed the 2 million mark in attendance for the first time in four seasons. But even with three teams, Texas would have fewer MLB teams per capita than California.

Josh5890

If they went to that structure, they'd have to drop the wild card entirely, or institute a first round bye. You can't have one wild card, as that would mean 5 teams would make the playoffs. Who would the 5th team play? Two, would make things even worse, unless a bye was introduced for the top-2 teams in each league (a la, the NFL, which would have the same structure).

If they went to four divisions then losing the Wild Card is a foregone conclusion. I would be fine with it. The last thing I would want is a dumb play-in game with the worst division champ and a wild card team.

FyreWulff

They need to cut down their schedule before they think of adding more teams. Individual games aren't worth watching because so many are played.

If they went to four divisions then losing the Wild Card is a foregone conclusion. I would be fine with it. The last thing I would want is a dumb play-in game with the worst division champ and a wild card team.

Unless they institute a bye, though I'm not sure that would be a great option. Too much down time could be an issue for the top-teams. They'd get cold and being the best regular season teams could be a detriment. So, yeah, dropping the wild card might be the only course of action.

FyreWulff

Part of baseball's problem (and the NFL to some extent) is that they built these stadiums to host 45-50K a night back when the economy was rocking in the 90's. I know this will sound ludicrous in the ears of Owners but a 35K-40K stadium looks better since it won't take as much to fill up. Empty seats look really bad. Just ask Nascar.

This is true. Our local Royals farm team moved to a new stadium with much less seating and they actually started to sell out and won 3 championships in a row.... they couldn't fill Rosenblatt at all, which was easily filled and then some for the College World Series.

FyreWulff

No offense, but this is just so wrong.

None taken, but I refuse to care about anything outside of playoffs if teams are going to play each other twice in one day. I don't have the endurance to watch baseball. I lived in the damn shadow of Rosenblatt and the CWS itself. That was the only one I could do regularly.

When you have 162 games in a season, it's hard for any individual game to matter mathematically.

After watching last night's game Oakland may need a relocation. Empty stadium and barely a week in. Also as far as gambling concerns in Vegas, they can just not add any of the Vegas games on the list.

Couleurs

When you have 162 games in a season, it's hard for any individual game to matter mathematically.

Individual games have never mattered mathematically for baseball, and you aren't expected to watch every single game, which is part of the reason why there are day games when everyone is at work.

Due to the randomness of baseball (the worst team can easily sweep the best team, a shitty team can overperform for a month or two, etc), it takes a large number of games to figure out who the best teams are. It's a marathon.

The lowest the schedule would ever get cut down to is 154 games since that was the traditional length before the expansion era began (due to the obsession with comparing stats over the years, it will never go below that). Even so, I highly doubt owners would willingly give up the revenue from 4 home games + TV money.

Honest question though - would those 8 games even make a difference to anyone who doesn't watch because they feel the season is too long? I feel like it wouldn't make a difference but I could be wrong.

I want the Rays to move to the National League and be rivals with the Braves and Marlins.
No thanks..... I don't want to see that spaceship they play in more than once every 3 years.

After watching last night's game Oakland may need a relocation. Empty stadium and barely a week in. Also as far as gambling concerns in Vegas, they can just not add any of the Vegas games on the list.
Sad. MLB is intent to run the A's out of town. Just like they did the Expos.

Sure. Random really cold Tuesday night against the Angels is the proper metric with which to measure the reasons a team should be moved or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom