• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Expansion concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryehn

In its first 5 years while playing at Parc Jarry (1969-73), the Expos averaged 1.3m per season, which is right at the NL average over that span.

During the late 70s and into the 80s, the Expos drew between 1.6-2.3 million per season, and outdrew the NL average every year.

It was only in 1998 and later had attendance figures started falling driven by a ton of factors.

Maybe Montreal wouldn't get to 3m+ per season, but if they get to 2.0-2.5m per season that would put it right in the mid-tier of the Mets, Brewers, Rockies, Pirates, Rangers, Orioles, Reds and Padres.

Montreal would absolutely, unquestionably draw more than Tampa, Cleveland, Miami, Oakland and the ChiSox.

As a fan from Ottawa, I'd be at at least 6-8 games a year and there's plenty of fans here that'd travel the 2 hours to see a whole bunch of teams as well.

Zee-Row

Banned
In its first 5 years while playing at Parc Jarry (1969-73), the Expos averaged 1.3m per season, which is right at the NL average over that span.

During the late 70s and into the 80s, the Expos drew between 1.6-2.3 million per season, and outdrew the NL average every year.

It was only in 1998 and later had attendance figures started falling driven by a ton of factors.

Maybe Montreal wouldn't get to 3m+ per season, but if they get to 2.0-2.5m per season that would put it right in the mid-tier of the Mets, Brewers, Rockies, Pirates, Rangers, Orioles, Reds and Padres.

Montreal would absolutely, unquestionably draw more than Tampa, Cleveland, Miami, Oakland and the ChiSox.
If Tampa Bay moves to downtown Tampa they will draw much better than everyone you listed including Montreal.

Plus you have the Rangers, Islanders and Devils in the NHL.

This worked for NY because the Islanders were far enough out on LI to have their own fanbase and not be mixed with Rangers. Now that they're in Brooklyn it's been a bit shaky.

Devils fanbase has been fairweather since the beginning/

A third baseball team in NJ would just make no sense. Southern NJ is Phillies territory, Central/North is a mix of Mets and Yankees fans.

I Love how some people are advocating for the contraction of the Marlins, a team run into the ground by Jeffrey Loria, while asking for a return of the Expos.

Because of course, Montreal deserves a team. We all know they were doing great until they were run into the ground by… Jeffrey Loria.

nillapuddin

If Tampa Bay moves to downtown Tampa they will draw much better than everyone you listed including Montreal.

I want to believe that because baseball at an amateur level is huge in FL, and trop is in a shit location

But they would find a way to get there if they really cared.

But lots of population, income, tv ratings posted in this thread disagree with you

I just don't want to see Yankee and Red Sox fans at the trop (or future downtown Tampa stadium) anymore unless it's interleague.

You think Mets and Phillies fans are a better class of fan?

I'm a Mets fan but I know the shortcomings of my team's fanbase.

Maybe Montreal wouldn't get to 3m+ per season, but if they get to 2.0-2.5m per season that would put it right in the mid-tier of the Mets, Brewers, Rockies, Pirates, Rangers, Orioles, Reds and Padres. .
I can definitely envisage this especially if they are in the AL East.

I Love how some people are advocating for the contraction of the Marlins, a team run into the ground by Jeffrey Loria, while asking for a return of the Expos.

Because of course, Montreal deserves a team. We all know they were doing great until they were run into the ground by… Jeffrey Loria.

This... this is an excellent point.

If Loria pulled the trigger, Selig gave him the gun.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
put a team in Hawaii and Vermont

While in Oahu on vacation a few weeks back, I was flipping through local channels and caught a local high school baseball game being broadcast. The quality was better than a lot of minor league games I've seen on TV - HD feed, decent on-screen graphics, multiple cameras that had all the standard angles you'd see on any MLB broadcast, PbP and color commentators...I was rather impressed, lol.

Aren't the Expos basically the Nationals? So?

The Washington Nationals are as much the Montreal Expos as the Baltimore Orioles are the St. Louis Browns, the Oakland Athletics are the Philadelphia/Kansas City Athletics, the Atlanta Braves are the Boston/Milwaukee Braves, the Minnesota Twins are the Washington Senators (1st version), Texas Rangers are the Washington Senators (2nd version), and so on and so forth. I don't think any players from the move to DC still remain with the team. In fact I don't know if there is anyone involved with the move (including front office) that remain with DC.

Aren't the Expos basically the Nationals? So?
No, the Expos played in Montreal. The Nats play in DC.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

The Washington Nationals are as much the Montreal Expos as the Baltimore Orioles are the St. Louis Browns, the Oakland Athletics are the Philadelphia/Kansas City Athletics, the Atlanta Braves are the Boston/Milwaukee Braves, the Minnesota Twins are the Washington Senators (1st version), Texas Rangers are the Washington Senators (2nd version), and so on and so forth. I don't think any players from the move to DC still remain with the team. In fact I don't know if there is anyone involved with the move that remain with DC.

Unlike the other franchises you listed, the Nats have erased all their Expos records, unretired numbers, etc.

Chris R

Is the Stade Olympique used for anything currently? Would it be a good location for a new stadium and/or would renovation be possible?

No, the Expos played in Montreal. The Nats play in DC.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Unlike the other franchises you listed, the Nats have erased all their Expos records, unretired numbers, etc.

So, sort of like a Ravens situation... sort of. When the Browns moved to Baltimore (I find it funny both Baltimore teams were once called The Browns), none of the records moved with the team and when the Browns resumed three years later in 1999, they were treated as a deactivated team that was reactivated (with their old records remaining with the team). If Montreal gets a new baseball team, I think MLB should do the same for them.

Is the Stade Olympique used for anything currently? Would it be a good location for a new stadium and/or would renovation be possible?
CFL, soccer, concerts and the 2017 Artistic Gymnastic World Championships (lololololololol!)

To be honest, it is in a shitty location. They need a stadium closer to Downtown.

The plan was to build a new stadium next to the Bell Centre where the Habs play. It would have been perfect.

labatt-2000.jpg

Chris R

Downtown stadiums are cool.

That render looks funky though, the seats behind home are like WAY behind home. I'd assume they'd get better if there was actually a stadium to be built there.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The Rays have got to get out of St Pete. If they were allowed to build in downtown Tampa, they wouldn't have nearly the same attendance woes they do now.

You guys are going about this the wrong way. We need less divisions, not more. And by less, I mean just one. Here is whats should (but never will) be done. Get rid of the divisions, get rid of the separate leagues, get rid of the unholy blight on God's greatest game that is the Designated Hitter, get rid of the playoffs.

Play a 174 game schedule, every team plays every other team six times, a three game series at home and a three game series away. The team with the best record is the champion.

No more of teams sneaking into the playoffs with a barely over .500 record and then getting hot and winning a championship bullshit. No more having the three best teams in the game playing in the same division and having to cannibalize each other to have the winner lose to the damn Mets. No more of that utter sacrilege that is the Designated Hitter.

TV Execs will be mad, but fuck them. Let's take our game back America!

Mingesium

Remove interleague play
Add two new leagues (Europe and Asia)
Same rules for all leagues (DH for starting pitcher only)
Winner of each league goes to World Series at neutral location. Best of 3 for both Semis and Finals.

Ehhhhhh, idk. Yeah the Puerto Rican economy is shit atm, but there's a much smaller barrier to entry to expand there as its technically a domestic expansion.

Compared to Montreal though? As bad as the stadium issue is there, it has the corporate presence, population and gdp to support a team.

Zee-Row

Banned
I want to believe that because baseball at an amateur level is huge in FL, and trop is in a shit location

But they would find a way to get there if they really cared.

But lots of population, income, tv ratings posted in this thread disagree with you
The Rays have one of the highest TV ratings in baseball. Tampa Bay is the largest media market in Florida. St Pete already let the Rays look at sites in Tampa and it would be dumb for MLB to move a team from the 12th biggest market in the U.S.

Garryk

Indianapolis, Charlotte, or New Orleans could all support a team. These are all towns that have both NBA and NFL teams already.

Zee-Row

Banned
I've heard that driving to games in St Pete are horrible.
As someone that goes to a lot of Rays games it's true. Rays games are usually at 7 so it's around the time traffic is still horrible and people are getting out of work. Plus the area around the trop is so shady. The Lightning do so well in downtown Tampa so I don't see the Rays not doing well either.

Zee-Row

Banned
Are the Marlins located in downtown Miami now?

The Marlins need to return to teal, black, and silver. Their new logo and branding suuuuuucks.
Not exactly in downtown Miami it's still a little ways from it. I agree about the old colors they were much better. They should of just changed the F to an M and called it a day.

ckhvh2kef8ignswrgxssk6jw3.gif

This is from last year
10481014_10153153319327457_3574790735526883932_o.jpg

This map supports the idea that the Hampton Roads region in Virginia could support a major league team.

No regional loyalty to the Orioles or Nationals. Good sized population in the area and could tap into Richmond and North Carolina as well. Given the complete lack of any professional sports teams in the state of Virginia at all, and nothing within a few hours drive for people in the Hampton Roads area, I think there would be a definite fervor if a team was established.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
There are too many teams as it is. You already see most of the teams without a chance to play for the championship.

There are too many teams as it is. You already see most of the teams without a chance to play for the championship.

Actually, since 2012, baseball has been pretty fairly balanced. I posted this a while back:

Baseball is my favorite sport, but sometimes I used to feel like a salary cap was needed to create parity like the NFL. Every year in the NFL there seems to be an up and coming underdog. However, the last four MLB seasons have kind of shown that you don't necessarily need a salary cap for parity. In 2012, the Baltimore Orioles made the post-season for the first time since the 1997 season and the Washington Nationals made the post-season for the first time since 1981 when they were the Montreal Expos (the Expos would have made the post-season in 1994 had there been no strike), in 2013, the Pittsburgh Pirates made the post-season for the first time since the 1992 season, in 2014, the Kansas City Royals made the post-season since 1986, and finally in 2015, the Toronto Blue Jays made the post-season for the first time since 1993.

With the Blue Jays clinching a playoff spot, every team in baseball (30 total) has made the playoffs. The current longest post-season drought belongs to the Seattle Mariners, who last made the post season in 2001, following a record-tying 116 win regular season. The Miami Marlins have the second longest. They last made the post-season when they won the World Series in 2003. The team after the Marlins is the Houston Astros, who last made the post-season when they lost the World Series in 2005 to the Chicago White Sox. The Astros are important here, because with a win tomorrow, they too will end their drought. Leaving the San Diego Padres with the third longest streak. They last made the post-season in 2006.

Now, what has changed that has allowed these long streaks to finally be broken. I have one theory. In 2012, MLB made a major change to the sport. They introduced a second wild-card and a one-game Wild Card series in which the winner plays the top seeded team in the League Divisional Series. Now teams that were typically out of contention by the All-Star Game were more competitive because a post-season spot was still in play for many of them. I think the second-wild card team is one of the smartest moves baseball has made in recent history and the sport is really benefiting from it with new blood making the post-season finally. I'm so happy for long-suffering fans that can enjoy the taste of post-season (some perhaps for the first time in their lives).

Edit:

I went a head and made a list of the last time each MLB team made the post-season.

2001- Seattle Mariners
2003- Miami Marlins
2006- San Diego Padres
2008- Chicago White Sox
2009- Colorodo Rockies
2010- Minnesota Twins
2011- Philadelphia Phillies, Milwaukee Brewers, Arizona Diamondbacks
2013- Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Cincinatti Reds, Atlanta Braves
2014- Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels, Washington Nationals, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics
2015- Kansas City Royals, Toronto Blue Jays, Texas Rangers, New York Yankees, Houston Astros, Pittsburgh Pirates, Chicago Cubs, Saint Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets

It's crazy that since 2011, 24 of the 30 MLB franchises have made the playoffs at least once. I'd say that's pretty cool.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120104

That's not really true. MLB has a lot of parity right now.

In the AL, pretty much only the Twins are without any hope of reaching the playoffs. In the NL, things are a bit more lobsided, but half the teams at least still have a chance to be playing in the postseason.

That's a playoff structure problem more than anything else. Purists will disagree, but MLB needs to figure out a way to include more teams in the post-season. There are simply too many other entertainment options around now to expect fans to remain interested in a (yet another) futile season.

Josh5890

That's a playoff structure problem more than anything else. Purists will disagree, but MLB needs to figure out a way to include more teams in the post-season. There are simply too many other entertainment options around now to expect fans to remain interested in a (yet another) futile season.

I would argue (without generating my inner-baseball purist self) that the post-season is already the perfect length. It lasts one month, which is shorter than the other three post-seasons. Adding more teams would push the world series to mid-November, which is ridiculous.

I would argue (without generating my inner-baseball purist self) that the post-season is already the perfect length. It lasts one month, which is shorter than the other three post-seasons. Adding more teams would push the world series to mid-November, which is ridiculous.

Not necessarily. If they expand to 32 teams, and drop the wild cards, it would still be the same number of playoff teams (pre-wild card play-in game). I think the set-up would be the top 2 teams in each league would get home-field advantage. So, it'd be the 4th seed at the 1st seed and the 3rd seed at the 2nd seed. Whatever highest seed is remaining has home field advantage. At the World Series, the team with the better record gets home field advantage (even if both are 1st seed). This also means the All-Star game winner means nothing again.

They could shorten the season and end it halfway into September.

With the cluster fucks that are the Oakland and Tampa Bay stadium situation i don't see Expansion until 2030. and lol at the Idea of a 3rd New York team the Yankees and Mets will never let it happen.

Madness

I've heard studies that the New York metropolitan area could support a third MLB team, and that it could be located in New Jersey.

And Montreal does deserve a second chance.

No it doesn't. There was no political will to save the Expos or to provide a solid baseball only stadium that pretty much every team in the league has. Forced to use the Stade du Olympique was a compromise.

Only recently with the Blue Jays success have Torontonians realized they need to support the team better and with the departure of the Argos they finally have an all dirt infield instead of 4 patches of dirt and turf.

I think Vancouver would be more appealing than Montreal not only because a lot of BC baseball players are going to the majors, but a lot of canadian little league teams are coming from BC, and it would allow the Blue Jays to thrive in the East. It would never happen though as economically it makes more sense for more teams in the US. A Las Vegas team with a retractable roof and air conditioned field would probably be a great expansion for the MLB.

Zee-Row

Banned
With the cluster fucks that are the Oakland and Tampa Bay stadium situation i don't see Expansion until 2030. and lol at the Idea of a 3rd New York team the Yankees and Mets will never let it happen.

The city of Tampa wants to build the Rays a new stadium. They already have land picked out on where they would like to build it. The next step now is to see what kind of costs this stadium have and who is going to foot the bill.

As far as Oakland goes they don't seem to show any urgency to build the As or the Raiders new stadiums and look like they are going to lose both teams to other cities.

Josh5890

Not necessarily. If they expand to 32 teams, and drop the wild cards, it would still be the same number of playoff teams (pre-wild card play-in game). I think the set-up would be the top 2 teams in each league would get home-field advantage. So, it'd be the 4th seed at the 1st seed and the 3rd seed at the 2nd seed. Whatever highest seed is remaining has home field advantage. At the World Series, the team with the better record gets home field advantage (even if both are 1st seed). This also means the All-Star game winner means nothing again.

That I am fine with. I just don't want to see the playoff field expand to where half the teams make the playoffs. As for the All-Star game outcome mattering, I don't see that changing any time soon. As much as hate to admit it, it does help the All-Star game remain at a high level.

They could shorten the season and end it halfway into September.

I'm fine with shortening the regular season. Basically, I just don't want the World Series to bleed into November. Weather becomes worse as the season goes on. I would prefer the World Series to happen in the middle of October like the old days.

I think Hartford could support an NL team. Market is already split between the Yankees and Sox. It would give New England another team to follow.

No it doesn't. There was no political will to save the Expos or to provide a solid baseball only stadium that pretty much every team in the league has. Forced to use the Stade du Olympique was a compromise.

So the government should build a stadium for the team? That's ridiculous. They were broke back then and still had to pay off the Big O. The bottom line, though, is that Loria bled the team to death and then passed on the corpse to MLB, who even then tried to have the team eliminated entirely. When your owner and MLB make a concerted effort to erase your best season and tear apart the lineup, goodwill is hard to find.

Anyway, the problem for both Montreal and Vancouver would not just be finding a ballpark, but securing an owner with the pockets to handle today's game. Thats all MLB really wants.

So the government should build a stadium for the team? That's ridiculous. They were broke back then and still had to pay off the Big O. The bottom line, though, is that Loria bled the team to death and then passed on the corpse to MLB, who even then tried to have the team eliminated entirely. When your owner and MLB make a concerted effort to erase your best season and tear apart the lineup, goodwill is hard to find.

Anyway, the problem for both Montreal and Vancouver would not just be finding a ballpark, but securing an owner with the pockets to handle today's game. Thats all MLB really wants.

I often wonder if the Expos would still be around if the 94/95 strike didn't happen. They clearly were on their way to the playoffs in 94. Had they gone all the way, they might've gotten some more stars to sign with them and gone on a multi-season run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom