• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank GOD the ballgame is over. Mets win 4-3, day off tomorrow.

Dillon Gee had 9 K's, great starting pitching as Mets sweep the Orioles. Frank Franc trying to give me a heart attack here. Let us not even recap the game outside of this:

sweeping.gif

Now to prepare for the Yankquis.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Johnson also called Maddon a "guru" and needled the Rays manager for being active on Twitter and for having a reputation as a genius manager: "I don't want to get into a shouting match with Joe. I looked him up on the Internet and found out he has a tweeter, so he can get to more people than me. But it was interesting reading. But you can tell him I have a doctorate of letters, too. Mine's from Loyola in Humanities, and I'm proud of that too."

rofl

Link

The Autumn Wind
Time to break this whole sweep/get swept cycle. I won't be able to take getting swept by the Yankees twice.

Carlbeego

Thank GOD the ballgame is over. Mets win 4-3, day off tomorrow.

Dillon Gee had 9 K's, great starting pitching as Mets sweep the Orioles. Frank Franc trying to give me a heart attack here. Let us not even recap the game outside of this:

sweeping.gif

Now to prepare for the Yankquis.

Thank you Mets for sweeping B-More.

Thank you Nats for beating Tampa.

Shame on you Mawlins.

RBH

12 worst MLB ballparks of all-time:

10. Veterans Stadium, Riverfront Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium - Jim Kaat once said, "Every ballpark used to be unique. Now it's like women's breasts -- if you've seen one, you've seen both." He's right, but with one slight amendment. If you saw one of these stadiums, you saw all three. Multipurpose is fine -- do we really need to build $500 million to $1 billion stadiums for the sole purpose of hosting eight NFL games a year? -- but sterile, devoid of character and artificially turfed is not. Plus, there was the biohazard of playing on fields covered in Schotzzie's droppings or Lenny Dykstra's tobacco juice.

9. Colt Stadium, Houston - Houston's original field was a shade-less, blistering-hot facility that was nicknamed Mosquito Heaven. According to Philip J. Lowry's "Green Cathedrals," the mosquitoes were so bad it had to be sprayed for bugs between innings. Joba Chamberlain wouldn't have stood a chance there.

8. The Astrodome, Houston - But at least Colt Stadium didn't introduce the two evils of domed stadiums and artificial turf to baseball, as did its successor. For that, the Astrodome cannot be forgiven. (By the way, a good rule of thumb when judging baseball stadiums: It's never a good sign when the name includes "The.")

7. Exhibition Stadium, Toronto - They squeezed a baseball field into a football stadium, resulting in such terrible sightlines and badly angled seats that they didn't even bother selling tickets in many sections. It could be bitterly cold and plagued by seagulls. But worst of all, for the first five years, Toronto committed an unpardonable sin: It didn't sell beer at the stadium! Imagine watching Dave Lemanczyk and Rick Bosetti without the benefit of alcohol. You'd want Dave Winfield to put you out of your misery with a thrown ball, too.

6. Los Angeles Coliseum - The left field fence was so close (250 feet down the line) that even this year's Mariners might have hit home runs there. It was so far down the right field line (390 feet) that to chase down a fly to the warning track, you should probably have been dressed as a Roman centurion and riding a white horse named Traveler.

5. Arlington Stadium - Death Valley in California, located in a narrow valley 234 feet below sea level, once recorded a temperature of 134 degrees, had 42 consecutive days above 120 degrees one summer and had a stretch of 154 consecutive days above 100 degrees last year. The average high for July is 116. Nonetheless, the hottest points in the United States were the 43,000 seats at the Rangers' old stadium, almost all of which were completely exposed to the sun.

4. The Metrodome, Minneapolis - Billy Martin once complained, "This place stinks. It's too bad a great guy like [Hubert H. Humphrey] had to be named after it." Well, you know what he meant, especially if you went inside on a sunny summer day, fought your way through the narrow concourses, squeezed your way to the middle of a 40-seat row and then looked straight ahead to see … not home plate, but a hefty bag in right field. Hmmmm. Maybe Quiz was right.

3. Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg - Like the Metrodome, only more cluttered, and with a fish tank. Every time I walk out of the Florida sun and inside this dome, and see the A, B, C and D rings that are within play, I always wonder, "And there were teams that successfully blackmailed their communities by threatening to move to this dump?"

2. The Kingdome, Seattle - What's worse than playing under a concrete ceiling in a city with some of the most glorious summers in the country? (Well, summer for two months, at least.) How about a concrete ceiling that falls on your head? That's what happened in July 1994, when 26-pound tiles fell 200 feet from the Kingdome ceiling before a Mariners game. Ceiling repairs cost $70 million. The bad news is that meant the Mariners had to play the season's remaining games on the road. The good news is that meant the Mariners got to play the season's remaining games on the road.

1. Olympic Stadium, Montreal - Le Stade Olympique (which is French for "The @#&$ Roof Doesn't Work!") was built for the 1976 Olympics and it was, indeed, impressive. Or it would have been, had it not taken until 1987 to actually finish the retractable roof. And had the roof worked when it was finished. And had it not leaked due to rips and tears. And had a support beam not collapsed. And had the retractable roof not been closed permanently.

Not that it deserves destruction, either. Not with the great games and memories -- Dawson, Raines, Carter, Pedro, Vlad, Youppi! -- it provided Montreal fans before the Expos were yanked out of town.

Unless, of course, former Expos owner Jeffrey Loria happened to be inside when the plunger went down …
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/caple-120620/the-10-worst-baseball-parks-history-game

Prade

I'd imagine the Mets have made Yankees fans very happy in the last week and a half.

To be fair, after last weekend, Met fans were saying "Thank god for the Yankees". None of that now though. If the Mets can win just 1 game in the upcoming subway series, they would have gone 11-11 during their toughest stretch(by far) of the year. Before June even started, Met fans would have signed up for that in blood.

That's it, I'm starting a Kickstarter to bring the Expos back. If some Manatee women can get 70K for getting yelled at by some Adventure Time fans on a bus, then I can get a couple hundred mill, plus plus compromising pictures of Selig as Bernie Brewer getting trained on by the Famous Racing Sausages.

xbhaskarx

Damnit, I saw the hockey GAF vs rigged GAF fight and decided to post when baseball got brought into it, but after hitting post I saw the bans and deleted my work...

Who gives a shit about hockey? Its down there with baseball and golf.

Since you dragged baseball into this, FYI

Profit:
Most Profitable Sports Leagues

Number 5
NBA
Overall profit: $207 million

Number 4
Formula One
Overall profit: $435 million

Number 3
MLB
Overall profit: $496 million

Number 2
English Premier League
Overall profit: $513 million

Number 1
NFL
Overall profit: $984.5 million

You might be asking where NASCAR and the NHL fit into the equation. NHL teams had a combined operating income of $125.1 million in 2006, which is well behind the numbers posted up in the NBA. We were not able to find any clear figures on NASCAR’s overall profits in order to slot the stock-car racing circuit accordingly.

NBA is almost the same as NHL, MLB is bigger than NBA + NHL

Revenue:
INFOGRAPHIC - NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL Most Recent Revenues

NBA is closer to NHL than MLB, MLB is almost the size of NBA + NHL

Value:
Forbes: The World's Most Valuable Sports Teams
No. 3 New York Yankees
Value: $1.7 billion
Owner: Steinbrenner family

No. 31 Boston Red Sox
Value: $912 million
Owners: John Henry and Thomas Werner

No. 38 Los Angeles Dodgers
Value: $800 million
Owner: Frank McCourt

No. 42 Chicago Cubs
Value: $773 million
Owner: Ricketts family

No. 44 New York Mets
Value: $747 million
Owner: Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz

No. 47 New York Knicks
Value: $655 million
Owner: Madison Square Garden

No. 48 Los Angeles Lakers
Value: $643 million
Owners: Jerry Buss and Philip Anschutz

No. 50 Philadelphia Phillies
Value: $609 million
Owner: Partnership led by David Montgomery

Two NBA teams barely make it into a top 50 dominated by NFL, soccer, and baseball

Average attendance:
nmKKC.jpg

NBA = NHL at 17k, MLB attendance is 13k more, with twice as many games as both

Total attendance:
MLB 73.5 million
NBA ~21 million (in a typical non-shortened season)
NHL ~21 million

Times blowhards like Skip Bayless talk about douchebags like Lebron James on ESPN's shitty attempt at sports coverage:
#1 NBA

So that's 5 for baseball, 1 for NBA.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the NBA wasn't making a profit? Maybe I just misread some news a few years back.

But on the good news, Cardinals won today, and Westbrook pitched very well. We really need another win and maybe some more after that. We've been looking a bit pathetic lately and need a decent streak to get back into our groove.

Rays lost, which is a bummer, but Archer actually pitched very well(first inning aside) for his first start. Glad to see a new kid doing well. Strasburg had some good stuff too, but our offense is struggling without Longoria.

Also, lol at the fans booing when Peralta came in. I'm sure I would have done the same if the situation was reversed.

And in even worse news. I have not been added to the Rays and Cardinals logos in the OP. Truly this is one of the worst days.

Talon

1. Fuck ketchup.
2. Two wins in a row? IS THIS REAL LIFE?!?!
3. I'm in San Fran for work this week, and I just had an animal style double double. Fuck yeah.
4. Fuck ketchup.

Talon

Is it worth going to see a game at Oakland? I have a car, and I'm out here through Saturday.

Wish they were playing at AT&T - would kill to go see a game there.

RBH

Is it worth going to see a game at Oakland? I have a car, and I'm out here through Saturday.

Giants @ A's, right? I'd go just because of the rivalry. Plus it's always cool seeing other stadiums, even if it's the Coliseum.

You might even get to see a fight or two
or a stabbing
break out in the stands!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

As stadium sucks..but eh its a game. Stadium will be full of giants fans.

Damn lost another one.

Not a great time to be losing games.

:( We getting exposed right now without Kemp. Listening to Dodgertalk tonight and they saying its that time to find a bat. But only problem Hard to find one without giving up alot for them. Kemp looks ready to play though

:( We getting exposed right now without Kemp. Listening to Dodgertalk tonight and they saying its that time to find a bat. But only problem Hard to find one without giving up alot for them. Kemp looks ready to play though
He better be ready to play because we need tons of help right now. Everyone isn't playing as well as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom