• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cy Young season while injured. he better get this shit!
espn.com said:
MIAMI -- New York Mets ace R.A. Dickey's Cy Young-caliber season has this remarkable wrinkle: It came while pitching with a torn abdominal muscle.

After making his final 2012 start on Tuesday night, Dickey revealed he tore and possibly detached the stomach muscle during his second start of the season, on a cold April 13 night in Philadelphia. He has dealt with "dull pain" in his stomach area throughout the season.

Dickey knew a couple of months ago, after undergoing an MRI, that he would require postseason surgery. He said he regularly prayed with his wife that he would be able to get through the season.

He will undergo surgery in Philadelphia on Oct. 18 to repair the tear, which is on his right side.

"The pain was fairly significant from time to time," Dickey said. "We just did a good job of managing that. Whether it was backing off in the bullpen in between starts or getting the treatment that I needed or whatever else I needed to help with that pain, we were able to do it in a way that I was able to perform and not worry about it."

The knuckleballer felt the pain worsen during Tuesday night's start in the second inning.

"I'm not going to pretend to know what happened inside there, but it was much more significant than I have experienced in the past," Dickey said. "Whether that is scar tissue coming loose or the tear elongating, it's total speculation. I have no idea. But because we have a surgery already scheduled for the 18th in the same area, it's going to get fixed then anyway.

"I guess the timing is fortuitous in that the significant pain that I'm feeling now, I hadn't felt before. But, tonight, it was hard to catch my breath sometimes. It's obvious that it needs to be taken care of. And we're going to do that. It's a pretty non-invasive surgery. I mean, I do have to go under (anesthesia) and they do have to repair a tear, but it should be a quick recovery.

"If you were asking me if I had another start in five days could I make it, I don't know. But we were able to make 33 before this, and that's pretty special."

Dickey ultimately allowed three runs in six innings and received a no-decision in the Mets' 4-3 loss to the Miami Marlins.

He finished the season with a 20-6 record and 2.73 ERA. His eight strikeouts Tuesday gave him 230 this season, most by a Met since David Cone had 241 in 1991. Dickey logged 233 2/3 innings, most by a Met since Johan Santana tossed 234 1/3 innings in 2008.

Clayton Kershaw (13-9) has an NL-leading 2.58 ERA as well as 221 strikeouts -- nine shy of Dickey's total -- entering Wednesday's scheduled start for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Gio Gonzalez's 21 wins with the Washington Nationals will lead the league.

Dickey said he often wondered whether his remarkable season would be derailed by the injury.

"I was on my knees about it many times, hoping that it was not going to get more significant than it was," Dickey said. "My wife and I prayed quite frequently together about that. I was in the middle of a good season and we were playing well. And it happened so early. When the All-Star break came, we were right in it and I was going good and felt fine and could keep going. Fortunately, we were able to last the whole year.

"The word from everybody is I'll be walking a mile a day after surgery. I think they liken it to a sports hernia, if you will."

Said manager Terry Collins: "First of all, he was absolutely brilliant all season long. From early in the year, he never let anything get in the way. Everybody is motivated by all the excitement he created, the run he had, the back-to-back one-hitters, the running up the W's, being the guy. It was a tremendous year for him. I'm very, very proud of him. I'm very proud of what he's done, what kind of person he is.

"There's a lot of things that go on. This guy has been pitching with a bad stomach muscle for quite a while."

thefro

But we more baseball to appease the baseball god.

We need extra inning O's/Yanks tiebreaker and 25+ inning epic between the two wild cards.

Yeah, I'm rooting for tiebreaker games for both AL divisions and then wild card elimination game with the losers.

This page is now the official R.A. Dickey Pic/ Photoshop Page in honor of his future Cy Young Award and general badassery:

r-a-dickey.jpg

McNei1y

Sorry Yankees fans but... Let's go O's! I hope O's win and Yankees lose. A one game tie-breaker to determine the one game wild card!

jman2050

Shit's about to go down today.

Yankees will complete their AL East title (finally), then Oakland will steal the division from under Texas' nose and the Orioles will beat Texas in the WC game. Enron and Branduil cry, xbh becomes more insufferable, and Jangocube channels Sylar to become the best poster of the postseason.

And in the end, the Yankees win it all anyway

harSon

Banned
I'm really hoping that the Rangers win today, and the A's get destroyed in the Wild Card game, making their miracle season short lived. It would be beautiful.

Pirates last game of the season comes on in 30. Hopefully we go out fighting, but I'm not confident considering the horse shit lineup Hurdle came up with.

xbhaskarx

a BP writer on twitter

Miguel Cabrera > Mike Trout and if I disagree I don't watch baseball enough

We have come to this point. We have reached it. The fat slugger who plays bad defense and can't run is the eyeball pick.

The natural who does everything well and is exciting and young and fresh to boot, he's the nerd pick.

hemtae

I'm really hoping that the Rangers win today, and the A's get destroyed in the Wild Card game, making their miracle season short lived. It would be beautiful.

Pirates last game of the season comes on in 30. Hopefully we go out fighting, but I'm not confident considering the horse shit lineup Hurdle came up with.

At least you won't miss .500 by one game then.

Tobor

Nats win the top seed tonight, they face the Braves or Cardinals.

They lose it and play the Giants.

Do I have that right?

cashman

Banned
On that same note, as a team the Rangers had 7 players with at least 145 games played. Evan Grant noted that this is the first time a team has done that since the 2007 Seattle Mariners.

Profar has had 17 PAs since being called up. Olt has had 40 in a little over a 2 month span. Craig Gentry only has had 16 starts since August.

Malo

Banned
Shit's about to go down today.

Yankees will complete their AL East title (finally), then Oakland will steal the division from under Texas' nose and the Orioles will beat Texas in the WC game. Enron and Branduil cry, xbh becomes more insufferable, and Jangocube channels Sylar to become the best poster of the postseason.

And in the end, the Yankees win it all anyway
It will be glorious.

Who's making the playoff thread?

We have to decide. I'm tired of playoff threads that are one disenfranchised fan making the thread about a team that isn't even in the playoffs. Not saying it has happened with MLBGAF, but it happens a lot on GAF. For example, a thread by a BoSox fan like:

"2012 MLB Playoff thread of Bobby V blah blah blah chicken and beer" or something. I don't want that.

Malo

Banned

We have to decide. I'm tired of playoff threads that are one disenfranchised fan making the thread about a team that isn't even in the playoffs. Not saying it has happened with MLBGAF, but it happens a lot on GAF. For example, a thread by a BoSox fan like:

"2012 MLB Playoff thread of Bobby V blah blah blah chicken and beer" or something. I don't want that.
Sanjuro said he's going to make it.

Sanjuro

Why would the playoff thread have anything to do with Bobby V?

Make the thread yourself then, asshole.

turnbuckle

Let's not forget that tomorrow, Miggy could make history!

He should get one last HR just to ensure Hamilton doesn't catch him

Never thought I would ever see a Triple Crown winner in my lifetime

Well the Texas game will be over before the Tigers start. Miggy may be sitting out this one to rest his injured ankle if the triple crown is a forgone conclusion come game time.

Why would the playoff thread have anything to do with Bobby V?

Make the thread yourself then, asshole.

Did you think that was a personal attack or something? I just used the Red Sox as an example because they were a popular team that gets a lot of coverage that didn't make the playoffs... didn't know someone had already called it.

Sanjuro

Did you think that was a personal attack or something? I just used the Red Sox as an example because they were a popular team that gets a lot of coverage that didn't make the playoffs... didn't know someone had already called it.

Reading between the lines.

I don't care who makes the thread if someone wants to, I've just done them for a while now.

cashman

Banned

The red sox were only relevant to last years thread because of the collapse. Sanjuro does a pretty good job with the threads. I don't really care who makes the threads, I'm just too lazy to make one.

Haven't paid attention to baseball at all this year but see they have a Wild Card game added in. How stupid is this shit? 1 game of the top two teams not to win a division? So dumb. Looking at the standings...Atlanta has like a 4 game lead over the next closest wild card team. Atlanta should be in and the other team out. SO DUMB!

I think the Yankees can end up in the Wild Card game too or the Orioles...both with superior records against the AL West teams...so why does the AL West team get one game to upset a team that should be in the playoffs.

Baseball is stupid.

Sanjuro

The red sox were only relevant to last years thread because of the collapse. Sanjuro does a pretty good job with the threads. I don't really care who makes the threads, I'm just too lazy to make one.

That's the key element. It's not some great honor, it's just adding more digital real estate to post in. Y2Kev just played the regurgitating mother bird with the threads this year. I don't do anything special. However, I got drunk last night and edited a few things in Photoshop. Tradition and all.

Excited for today's baseball though.

Reading between the lines.

I don't care who makes the thread if someone wants to, I've just done them for a while now.

Nah, I think you got me pegged wrong. Just a unfortunate coincidence. I was under the impression on the IRC that Jango had called it, but apparently was wrong. I was more concerned with making sure a 'lifelong' didn't grab it, lol.

And I think it can be an honor. Two years ago, I was honored to be allowed to produce the "coming down to The Wire" thread. I had been posting for 5 years for a team that had no chance, and they finally made the playoffs after 15 years of losing seasons. But if nobody cares, then I don't either.

Just how good have the Baltimore Orioles been in one-run games? Well, you’d have to go back 122 years to find a better team.

With Tuesday’s 1-0 win over the Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore improved to 29-9 in one-run games. That .763 win percentage is the third best in MLB history. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only the 1883 Cleveland Blues (16-3) and 1890 Brooklyn Bridegrooms (14-4) have posted higher winning percentages in one-run games.

Facing a stellar pitching performance, Tuesday exemplified Baltimore’s ability to win the close ones. James Shields took the loss despite 15 strikeouts, zero walks and one earned run.

In the Live Ball Era (since 1920), only one other pitcher drew a loss despite 15 K, 0 BB and 1 ER. That was Dwight Gooden on September 17, 1984 against the Philadelphia Phillies.

But if you go by the Bill James Game Score, Shields’ loss is without precedent.

His game score of 94 is the highest by a losing pitcher in a 9-inning game in the Live Ball Era. That distinction previously went to Ken Johnson, who lost 1-0 despite throwing a no-hitter back in 1964.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So that was probably Chipper's last regular season at-bat. He singled on the first pitch. And the emotional weight of his retirement finally just hit me.

Here the Triple Crown Scenarios for the final day of the regular season

Cabrera is 205-for-620 on the year, a .331 batting average (.3306 to take it out to the extra decimal point). Mike Trout is 180-for-556, a .324 average. Joe Mauer is 174-for-543, a .320 average. There is virtually no such thing as a tie for the batting title, because the digits can be calculated as far out as need be in order to determine the higher batting average. If two players are at .330, but one is at .33001 and the other is at .32999, the former player is the batting champion.

If Trout goes 6-for-6, he would get to .331 (.33096), and Cabrera would need one of the following to be the batting champion: to get at least one hit in two or fewer at-bats, to get at least two hits in five or fewer at-bats, or to get at least three hits in eight or fewer at-bats.

If Trout goes 5-for-6, he would get to .329 (.3292), and Cabrera would need one of the following: to get no more than two at-bats regardless of outcome, to get at least one hit in five or fewer at-bats, or to get at least two hits in eight or fewer at-bats.

If Trout goes 5-for-5, he would get to .330 (.3298), and Cabrera would need one of the following to hold the batting crown: to get no more than one at-bat regardless of outcome, to get at least one hit in four or fewer at-bats, or to get at least two hits in seven or fewer at-bats.

If Trout goes 4-for-4, he would get to .3286, and Cabrera would need one of the following: to get no more than three at-bats regardless of outcome, or to get at least one hit in six or fewer at-bats.

If Trout goes 4-for-5, he would get to .3279, and Cabrera would simply need not to do worse than 0-for-5.

If Trout gets fewer than four hits, or goes 4-for-6, it is virtually impossible for him to pass Cabrera.

Even if Mauer were to go 6-for-6, he would be at .3279, and Cabrera would only need not to do worse than 0-for-5.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39371632&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

2012 MLB Playoff thread of shit aint right without the Phillies

Haven't paid attention to baseball at all this year but see they have a Wild Card game added in. How stupid is this shit? 1 game of the top two teams not to win a division? So dumb. Looking at the standings...Atlanta has like a 4 game lead over the next closest wild card team. Atlanta should be in and the other team out. SO DUMB!

I think the Yankees can end up in the Wild Card game too or the Orioles...both with superior records against the AL West teams...so why does the AL West team get one game to upset a team that should be in the playoffs.

Baseball is stupid.

you shut your god damn mouth.

2012 MLB Playoff thread of Bobby V blah blah blah chicken and beer"

so we all agree this will be the OT postseason thread title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom