• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

0382_s7tr.gif

Talon

Everyone looks so emaciated. Bring back roids.
Makes it even more glaring when you realize how "deep" pitching has become and how 2B and SS are stock full of garbage offensive players.

Almost makes you wistful for the early 2000s when every other outfielder was hitting 30-100.

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

Source: #Indians on verge of two-year, $16.5 million extension with Asdrubal Cabrera. That would cover 2013 and 2014 -- one free agent year.
Retweeted by Ken Rosenthal

Fatalah

They're playing at the new marlins' stadium right now. I'm actually coming around to it, looks decent.

At the very least, it's a million times better than where the Marlins used to play. Definitely a fun stadium to watch on TV. John and Suzyn love it, and they're looking forward to tomorrow night's game, to see the outfield wall showcase the Miami night skyline.

While praising the Marlins, John and Suzyn keep pushing for that other Florida team to get a better stadium. Man, they hate the Trop more than ever this year. It's always hysterical listening to them call games there!

Meohsix

Mean April Fools joke by MLB Network, Tv Guide says the Yankee / Marlins game is supposed to be on, but they are showing 30 clubs / 30 days Washington Nationals. =(

EDIT: doh its blacked out on MLB network, showing it on SunSports

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Desmond Jennings hit 3 homers today including a grand slam. First player to hit 3 homers in a spring training game since Craig Monroe did it in 2009 and the first player on the Rays to do so as well.

Can't wait for the season to start
officially

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ubaldo threw at Tulo and hit him. Then waved at him to start a fight. Benches cleared. Damn dude it's spring training. Tulo had it coming though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Left-hander Jon Niese, who is under the team’s control for another four seasons, is expected to sign a long-term deal with the organization, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

The eventual deal is believed to be comparable to the five-year, $28.5 million deal that included two team options -- for $11 million and $11.5 million -- that fellow left-hander Derek Holland signed with the Texas Rangers last month. Both players have comparable major league service time and would have been eligible for free agency after the 2015 season.

Good move for the Mets.

JambiBum

So with the waivers, everyone else has to approve of them right? Hurry up dammit. I need to make changes to my shitty Carpenter filled rotation.

clemenx

Banned
What did Tulo say about Ubaldo? I keep reading he pushed it a bit but I can't find what he actually said.

It sucks if he's injured because of that on Spring Training.

What did Tulo say about Ubaldo? I keep reading he pushed it a bit but I can't find what he actually said.

It sucks if he's injured because of that on Spring Training.

Before the game, both Ubaldo and Tulo talked about Ubaldo being traded to the Indians. Ubaldo said he wanted out because he was frustrated the team wouldn't sign him to an extension like Tulo and Carlos Gonzalez got. Tulo was asked about it and he said, "We've always been a team that says, 'If you don't want to be here, go tell the manager that and you'll be gone quick. We don't want people who don't want to be here, He did and he was traded.'" I guess Ubaldo didn't like that?

clemenx

Banned
Lol, this is hilarious/terrible.

After hitting Tulowitzki in his first at-bat, Jimenez raced toward the plate, motioning with his arms multiple times for Tulowitzki to come toward him. Teammates on both sides quickly got between the players as benches emptied. Tulowitzki exited the game for a pinch-runner. And Jimenez was not ejected, though the Rockies

Could have just hit him, jeez.

Tulowitski was taken to a local hospital for X-rays on his left elbow. There are some who believe he may have suffered a fracture from Ubaldo's pitch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
“It’s the most gutless act I have seen in 35 years of professional baseball. I have lost all respect for him. To do something like that and walk down off the mound, and if there’s any suggestion whatsoever that the ball got way, I don’t want to hear any of that (expletive). He intentionally threw at him. He should be suspended. I am going to be very disappointed if he doesn’t get suspended. He deserves to be,” Tracy said, his voice raising in anger.

“Are you kidding me? Five days before opening day and you are going to take a potshot like that? It was the worst I have seen. I have lost respect for him and that’s a very difficult thing for me to say.”

“It’s (expletive). I understand that. I watched exactly took place,” Tracy said. “I give our player all the credit in the world because he looked out at him and asked him what the (expletive) he was doing? And that’s exactly what I would have said to him. Now this guy starts marching down off the mound. And you don’t think there was some intent when we were warming up to pitch this afternoon’s game? That’s intent right there. That’s intent.”

“Knowing what I know, knowing what took place last year, and where this team was at going into the second month of the season and doing what we did (in April) and he was nowhere to be found. I have lost all respect for him,” Tracy said.

“Look at where we were at last spring. At what took place after the 2010 season and what we did in the beginning of the 2011 season without him. Waiting for him. Taking bullets for him. All the different things. And to pull that (expletive). Out of line. Out of character. As I have said, the most professional thing I have ever seen since I started in professional baseball.”

Jim Tracy laying into Ubaldo. Damn.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma
Banned
(Today, 05:19 PM)
why was AnEternalEnigma Banned? I can't seem to find anything that sticks out in his post history.

newjeruse

There's no video, so this is hard to prove, but apparently Jamie Moyer pointed to his head and then pointed to Travis Hafner.

Gangster.

Someone find this on youtube!

JUPITER, Fla. -- Lance Berkman and several Cardinals teammates helped pull off a terrific April Fools' joke on Adam Wainwright during Sunday's game.

The pranksters had the public address announcer give away a car to a fan, who, playing along with the gag, ran onto the field to collect his gift. Berkman drove the vehicle -- Wainwright's white Chevy Silverado -- onto the field and past an unsuspecting Wainwright, who did a double-take at the license plate while sitting in the dugout.

The winning fan, who was David Freese's cousin, jumped into the back of the truck and Berkman drove out of the stadium.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Buster_ESPN
Heard from someone on ESPN desk that they now have video of Tulo/Ubaldo incident, and intend to have it on SportsCenter.

Just to play Devil's Advocate on the Jimenez beaning:

Jimenez immediately sprang off the mound after Tulowitzki was hit. Tulowitzki took a step toward Jimenez and said something to him, prompting the pitcher to say "Come on!" and motion the Colorado star to move forward.

Jimenez and Tulowitzki argued near the plate and the benches emptied, but there were no punches or ejections.

"It was the first inning and I didn't have good control of my fastball. As you guys can see I walked the first guy on four pitches," Jimenez said.

Jimenez said he'd never had a problem with Tulowitzki. The pitcher claimed the verbal confrontation grew after Tulowitzki called him a name.

"I take everything easy and I never look for any trouble, but if you call me out I'm going to be there. I'm a man like everybody else," Jimenez said.

Indians manager Manny Acta said Jimenez "was pretty wild all day" with his pitches.

"I don't know if there is any history there or not," he said. "They were teammates for like, forever."

"I was thinking it's kind of late to be doing stuff like that. You don't want to see anybody get hurt. You don't want to see a player like that get hurt and you sure don't want to get into a fight and get players hurt, either," he said.

Acta added: "It was a natural reaction by players. Manhood, man! Nobody wants to back down."
Jimenez does tend to be wild as shit, dude was walking the park in that inning. I'm not picking sides but the evidence isn't really overwhelming that he deliberately beaned him, and keep in mind Jim Tracy has been the manager behind a few headhunting/beaning incidents with the Dodgers. Manny Acta is a respected guy and wouldn't condone Jimenez doing that intentionally, plus I've never remotely heard anything prior between the two.
Jim Tracy laying into Ubaldo. Damn.
Jim Tracy can go pleasure himself with a spiked maul.

You MLB GAFfers that are in the MLB 12: The Show test league better start playing some Test League games, you're not helping me here with the testing.

Just to play Devil's Advocate on the Jimenez beaning:

Jimenez does tend to be wild as shit, dude was walking the park in that inning. I'm not picking sides but the evidence isn't really overwhelming that he deliberately beaned him, and keep in mind Jim Tracy has been the manager behind a few headhunting/beaning incidents with the Dodgers. Manny Acta is a respected guy and wouldn't condone Jimenez doing that intentionally, plus I've never remotely heard anything prior between the two.

Jim Tracy can go pleasure himself with a spiked maul.

I shpport the beaning. And yes it was intentional....look at the body language.

Troy's primadonna ass needed to be hit. Learn to keep your mouth shut. There is much negative history between the two...how did you not know this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom