• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangocube

Banned
Jesus Christ. Closers dropping like flies. Kevin Gregg is available to any teams that need an inning eater. Because he will actually eat the inning.

TheNatural

My Member!
That is about the dumbest thing said this off-season. You let Votto walk but get $20m worth of left fielder and third basement you can almost certainly replace his production. It doesn't matter if production comes from one amazing guy or 7 really good guys. It's the overall level that matters. When dealing with a limited budget, spreading out production over as many pieces as possible is the wise way to go.

Get who? Tell me who?

I've been a Reds fan my whole life and you completely overestimate their ability to land anyone worth a shit. No one even close to Votto is coming through those doors to sign with the Reds. The Cincinnati Reds are either going to win with the players they made, or not win period.

You start playing cute and fast with "oh we'll get a good left fielder here, someone at third here, a starter here by splitting the money three ways we would have used" you know what you end up with? You end up with no one wanting to come to a small market team, and getting in a bidding war and overpaying for mediocre players just to come there. Just like the Reds overpaid for Arroyo. Just like they overpaid for Cordero. Just like they overpaid for Milton.

So yeah, you can say it's dumb, but I've already seen it happen before and it will happen again. This isn't a fantasy baseball or videogame where you just magically land players with a click of the mouse. No free agent is going to go out of their way to come play for Cincinnati, and even the mediocre to solid ones will have to be overpaid for it to happen. Money is better spent in house with proven players than trying to lure average players to Cincinnati by overpaying them.

Enron

Banned
I rejected both of you guys.

Did accept Enron's deal though. Wasn't too happy about going into the season with Lucas Duda as my starting 1B so I dealt Braun for A-Gonz.

Woooooo. I knew that had to be a better deal than any of the rest you were being offered. I needed speed in the worst way and this way i don't give anything up in the other 4 cats - and you don't have to start a black hole at 1st. Win-win!

I figured Crawford for Grandy was a long shot but you were acting like you just wanted him off of your hands so I threw that out there.

No offense, but as commish I probably would have squashed a Crawford-for-Grandy deal. Too lopsided!

Ripclawe

Banned
so Marlins parking problems are solved!

All aboard, baseball fans. Tri-Rail will run special trains to serve fans attending Marlins home games at night, starting with Wednesday's Opening Day game against the St. Louis Cardinals.

To get to the games, take Tri-Rail to the Metrorail Transfer Station in Hialeah, then switch to Metrorail and continue to Culmer Station in Overtown. From there, board a shuttle provided by Miami-Dade Transit to and from Marlins Park.

Do the reverse on the way home. A special northbound train will depart Tri-Rail's Metrorail Transfer Station about one hour after the games end. A bus will be available at the station for passengers who miss the train.

oh hell no.. you wouldn't go there at Noon much less at night..

Iceman

Royals bp at petco. Doing real well against the practice pitcher.

me said:
2012-04-0317.55.458rkel.jpg

Sorry about the angle. Don't know how to fix that on my phone yet (some kind of image editing app?)

bjb

Banned
Watching the Rangers spring training game on MLB TV. Commentators were talking about how fragile Josh Hamilton's body is :lol

They made it sound like it's virtually impossible for him to play through an entire 162 without garnering some serious injury.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Watching the Rangers spring training game on MLB TV. Commentators were talking about how fragile Josh Hamilton's body is :lol

They made it sound like it's virtually impossible for him to play through an entire 162 without garnering some serious injury.
i assume they meant to say relapse not injury.

eznark

Banned
Reds are getting pretty well savaged over this deal. The Keith Law cast was hilarious on the issue (even if he did later say that McGehee is better than ARam...lunacy). Rosenthal has had some rational discussion about what it means for their future and Heyman just weighed in.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/j...otto-extension-one-of-the-nuttiest-deals-ever

Folks around baseball are amazed by Reds superstar Joey Votto's new $225-million contract extension that now guarantees him $251.5 million over 12 years. Folks are outraged even.

Here's what one competing GM had to say: "The Reds look like they have no plan. They always say they have no money for deals. Then they spend $30 million on Aroldis Chapman. They say they have no money. And now this.''

This is one of the crazier seeming contracts in baseball history, a deal that keeps Votto in the National League where there's no DH into his 40s. Votto is one of the best offensive players in baseball, but he isn't Albert Pujols (no one is), he very likely wanted to stay, and frankly, he's a bad bet to play great baseball into his 40s (everyone is). You have to wonder: Couldn't an eight-year extension to make it 10 years under contract have gotten it done? That was the logical new deal for Votto, not this. And logic went out the window here.

Too funny.

Windu

speaking of keith law, his predictions:

AL East

Yanks 93w
Rays 91w
Sox 89w
Jays 85w
Orioles 68w

AL Central

Tigers 95w
Royals 81w
Indians 78w
Twins 70w
Sox 67w

AL West

Rangers 93w
ANgels 92w
Mariners 72w
A's 68w

NL East

Braves 90w
Phillies 88w
Marlins 88w
Nationals 83w
Mets 72w

NL Central

Reds 92w
Cardinals 87w
Brewers 81w (bullshit)
Cubs 73w
Pirates 70w
Houston 52w

NL West

Dbacks 91w
Giants 87w
Dodgers 82w
Rockies 80w
Padries 72w

eznark

Banned
Laws reasoning for his Brewers prediction is that they got worse at third (lolololololol) and their pitching "I don't know, I feel like they kind of have to regress."

Whatever dude. Brilliant analysis.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Whats bullshit about his Brewers prediction? Makes sense when you account Prince leaving, downgrading from McGehee to A-Ram and adjusting Ryan Braun's numbers to his true talent level.
lol

I don't see how the Giants are an 87 win team this year. I really don't. I'd be shocked if they finished above .500 this season.

eznark

Banned
you're joking right?

Law was dead serious and Karabell agreed with him. I'm no big Gamel believer but God damn at his Spring if he is slightly above replacement with the bat and the left side is improved as much as it should be, this team actually got better offensively.

Pretty sure Karabell and Law have turned their podcast completely into a troll show, which is unfortunate.

Windu

Yes. That's what Keith Law said though which is god damn hilarious.
oh, didn't notice the spoiler.

Law was dead serious and Karabell agreed with him. I'm no big Gamel believer but God damn at his Spring if he is slightly above replacement with the bat and the left side is improved as much as it should be, this team actually got better offensively.
Well Karabell said in his NL East preview video that the braves in september were the real team. so yeah lol. Law is smarter than that though, i just think he hasn't done the research.

cashman

Banned
Mike Wilner just said he gets a feeling that Seattle might not be as bad as we all think and could be a surprise lol

Well, offensively we can count on Ackley and Ichiro (?) to have good seasons, and there is potential for Smoak, Montero, Liddi, and Gutierrez to be good also, so I wouldn't be that shocked if they have a great year but it's not likely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom