• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
I don't think I've seen it in this thread.
homerun-o.gif

It's fabulous!

Its opening day part 2 and this thread was at the bottom of the forum, step your games up

JIM BOWDEN ‏ @JimBowdenESPNxm

Here are my 2012 Predictions: AL EAST: NYY, TB, Bos, Tor, Balt; AL CENTRAL: Det, Cle, CWS, KC, Minn AL WEST: LAA, TX, Sea, Oak WC: TB & TX

JIM BOWDEN ‏ @JimBowdenESPNxm

Here are my 2012 Predictions:NL EAST: MIA,WSH,Phil, Atl, Nym NL CENTRAL:Milw, StL, Cinc; Pgh, Chc, Hou NL WEST: AZ,SF,LAD,COL,SD WC: SF, WSH

Man has some balls

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
epsn predictions breakdown
Code:
AL East

Yankees      -- 36 -- 73.47%
Rays         -- 11 -- 22.45%
Red Sox      --  2 --  4.08%

-------------------------------------

AL Central

Tigers       -- 48 -- 97.96%
Indians      --  1 --  2.04%

AL West

Angels       -- 25 -- 51.02%
Rangers      -- 24 -- 48.98%

NL East

Phillies     -- 27 -- 55.10%
Marlins      -- 11 -- 22.45%
Braves       -- 10 -- 20.41%
Nationals    --  1 --  2.04%

NL Central

Cardinals    -- 20 -- 40.82%
Reds         -- 18 -- 36.73%
Brewers      -- 11 -- 22.45%

NL West

Diamondbacks -- 33 -- 67.35%
Giants       -- 14 -- 28.57%
Rockies      --  1 --  2.04%
Dodgers      --  1 --  2.04%

AL Wild Cards

Rays         -- 26 -- 26.53%
Rangers      -- 24 -- 24.49%
Angels       -- 20 -- 20.41%
Red Sox      -- 14 -- 14.29%
Yankees      -- 12 -- 12.24%
Blue Jays    --  2 --  2.04%

Top 3 Wild Card Matchups

Rays     - Rangers - 12 - 24.49%
Rays     - Angels  - 10 - 20.41%
Red Sox  - Rangers -  7 - 14.29%

NL Wild Cards

Marlins      -- 17 -- 17.35%
Phillies     -- 16 -- 16.33%
Nationals    -- 14 -- 14.29%
Giants       -- 14 -- 14.29%
Diamondbacks --  9 --  9.18%
Reds         --  8 --  8.16%
Brewers      --  6 --  6.12%
Cardinals    --  6 --  6.12%
Dodgers      --  4 --  4.08%
Braves       --  3 --  3.06%
Rockies      --  1 --  1.02%

Top 3 Wild Card Matchups

Phillies  - Diamondbacks - 5 - 10.20%
Nationals - Giants       - 5 - 10.20%
Marlins   - Giants       - 4 -  8.16%

AL East    WIld Cards -- 54 -- 55.10%
AL Central Wild Cards --  0 --  0.00%
AL West    Wild Cards -- 44 -- 44.90%

NL East    Wild Cards -- 50 -- 51.02%
NL Central Wild Cards -- 20 -- 20.41%
NL West    Wild Cards -- 28 -- 28.57%

AL Champion

Angels      -- 21 -- 42.86%
Rangers     --  8 -- 16.33%
Rays        --  8 -- 16.33%
Tigers      --  7 -- 14.29%
Yankees     --  4 --  8.16%
Red Sox     --  1 --  2.04%

NL Champion

Diamondbacks -- 15 -- 30.61%
Phillies     -- 14 -- 28.57%
Cardinals    --  5 -- 10.20%
Reds         --  4 --  8.16%
Giants       --  3 --  6.12%
Braves       --  3 --  6.12%
Nationals    --  2 --  4.08%
Brewers      --  2 --  4.08%
Marlins      --  1 --  2.04%

WS Champ

Angels       -- 18 -- 36.73%
Rangers      --  7 -- 14.29%
Rays         --  7 -- 14.29%
Tigers       --  6 -- 12.24%
Phillies     --  5 -- 10.20%
Yankees      --  3 --  6.12%
Cardinals    --  2 --  4.08%
Red Sox      --  1 --  2.04%

AL           -- 42 --  85.71%
NL	     --  7 --  14.29%

The curse of the rally squirrel is something no one has heard of yet, but it'll be the reason the Angels don't make it far this post season. Pujols has angered Stan the Squirrel and for this he and his new team shall pay the price.

ZeroRay

ESPN looking at the Marlins favorably in terms of the wild card.

I think it'll still be at least a year before we field a playoff team, and a WS winning team if the pattern holds.

Oh and some NL team beats the Rangers again, this time it's the NL East's turn lol.

ESPN looking at the Marlins favorably in terms of the wild card.

I think it'll still be at least a year before we field a playoff team, and a WS winning team if the pattern holds.

Oh and some NL team beats the Rangers again, this time it's the NL East's turn lol.

Three straight WS losses would really suck lol

bjb

Banned
I don't really understand the Nationals and Marlins hype.

I would say the Phillies and Braves are still the class of that division. Both NL and AL east should be competitive none-the-less.

Likewise I'm hoping to see Kansas City make the jump to at least 500 this season. Their farm system is so loaded that this may be the year everyone looks back to when they started to really catch fire.

I would say the Phillies and Braves are still the class of that division. Both NL and AL east should be competitive none-the-less.

Likewise I'm hoping to see Kansas City make the jump to at least 500 this season. Their farm system is so loaded that this may be the year everyone looks back to when they started to really catch fire.

If Halladay and Lee ever start to decline, the Nats could have the best rotation in the division. I think the NL West is super tight this year. Any team other than the Mets could take it if things break their way.

Looking at ESPN's predictions, they seem to like Philly and St Louis a lot more than I do. I think they're sleeping on the Rockies though. I think they could really surprise.

eznark

Banned

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/18271059/2012-mlb-cbssportscom-expert-predictions

Four have the Braves finishing 4th, the rest have them third. LOL Braves am dooooooomed

eznark

Banned
I like the part of CBS's prognostications where not one of them picks an NL team to win the series.

I actually think it is interesting just how wide open the entire thing is this year. You look at "expert" predictions and they are all over the board for every division. The only locks seem to be the Tigers winning the Central and the Astros being the worst team in a hundred years.

I actually think it is interesting just how wide open the entire thing is this year. You look at "expert" predictions and they are all over the board for every division. The only locks seem to be the Tigers winning the Central and the Astros being the worst team in a hundred years.

There's also consensus that the AL West is almost literally a coin flip and the loser gets a WC.

Preseason predictions for any sport are always good for a few laughs especially when they are based off of preseason performances. :jnc

eznark

Banned
I can never remember, are nationally televised games blacked out on MLB.tv, or is it just the Saturday FOX games?

What awful timing to cancel DirecTV!

Madtown_

Just found this thread after checking in on gaf for the first time in a few weeks.
I cannot wait for tonight and of course Friday.

I've been having a good time trying to explain to people that the loss of Fielder is partially offset by the loss of McGehee but they just won't have any of it. Soon they will see for themselves!

Hopefully I'll find some time to post on occasion.. Go Brewers!

Oh and :jnc at the Keith Law 'predictions'

Mets GAF

How do I order the tickets in the upper bowl at Citi Field? I went to the website and can only order tickets that are over $100 and none of that is in the upper bowl.

Where are the cheap seats?

Or is the game going to be all premium level pricing since it's a Subway Series with the Yanks at the end of June?

Zep

Banned
Mets GAF

How do I order the tickets in the upper bowl at Citi Field? I went to the website and can only order tickets that are over $100 and none of that is in the upper bowl.

Where are the cheap seats?

Or is the game going to be all premium level pricing since it's a Subway Series with the Yanks at the end of June?

Bingo.

Try stubhub in the beginning of June. You're not going to find anything cheap with the season just starting (
unless its the braves lololol
) and by June, Mets fans may drop their prices.

Macattk15

Well, offensively we can count on Ackley and Ichiro (?) to have good seasons, and there is potential for Smoak, Montero, Liddi, and Gutierrez to be good also, so I wouldn't be that shocked if they have a great year but it's not likely

Definitely count on Ackley. I see Ichiro rebounding. Gutierrez needs to prove he can stay healthy (currently starting the season on the DL), though his replacement in Saunders might FINALLY be putting things together and showing why he was once listed as a M's top prospect.

While I know Montero can hit ... I'm still unsure on how he will do. Smoak definitely has potential ... also needs to stay healthy.

Mike Carp, I don't know ... hope he wasn't a flash in the pan .. but I kind of think he was :( Hope he proves me wrong big time.

Liddi probably won't make the team coming out of ST ... although he 100% should at least be a back-up to Kyle Seager (who will most likely be Figgin's back-up at 3B even though he should be the starter).

The rotation stinks. Felix and then poop. Vargas will eat innings and be respectable ... but he isn't a #2 pitcher. Beaven is boring. Noesi ... who knows. Millwood will be plenty fine for a #5.

I expect at some point to see at least Hultzen and Paxton (possibly Walker also though he is a longshot, def. in Sept) in the rotation and Vargas traded. Possibly Brandon League traded also.

Bingo.

Try stubhub in the beginning of June. You're not going to find anything cheap with the season just starting (
unless its the braves lololol
) and by June, Mets fans may drop their prices.

Thanks.

I'm just curious why they aren't even offering the upper bowl at Citi Field.

Zee-Row

Banned
Wow, that is awesome. It's great to see the politicians actually looking out for the taxpayers.

The stadium was doomed to failure in its current location , in the 80s Tampa and St Pete were trying to lure MLB and St Pete beat Tampa to the punch by building the monstrosity which is Tropicana Field.

eznark

Banned
The stadium was doomed to failure in its current location , in the 80s Tampa and St Pete were trying to lure MLB and St Pete beat Tampa to the punch by building the monstrosity which is Tropicana Field.

And now instead of getting bent over a barrel by the threat of the team leaving town, the city has forced the Rays to negotiate in good faith. It's a brilliant clause and will hopefully be adopted throughout sports.

Just found this thread after checking in on gaf for the first time in a few weeks.

I've been having a good time trying to explain to people that the loss of Fielder is partially offset by the loss of McGehee but they just won't have any of it. Soon they will see for themselves!

Addition by subtraction I always say. The dude forgot how to have decent at-bats and looked over matched at the plate.

Well of course they replaced him with a significant upgrade. Hell, Wes Helms would of been a upgrade (oh yeah, I dropped the Helms hammer.)

Marlins want the new stadium to be more than just a baseball stadium. Want to sell each game as an event ESPN Mag says. Nightclub at LF, pool in CF, concert before n after games. Pretty colors. The Monster structure in Outfield. Hopefully attendance is good. Wouldnt want to see new stadium empty.

eznark

Banned

There's also consensus that the AL West is almost literally a coin flip and the loser gets a WC.

They undoubtedly came out ahead by getting rid of McGehee. His good season in MIL was a fluke.

Well of course they replaced him with a significant upgrade. Hell, Wes Helms would of been a upgrade (oh yeah, I dropped the Helms hammer.)

excellent......soon, we will be as strong as Packers age.

Zee-Row

Banned
And now instead of getting bent over a barrel by the threat of the team leaving town, the city has forced the Rays to negotiate in good faith. It's a brilliant clause and will hopefully be adopted throughout sports.

Yeah but this lease doesn't seem to be contraction proof if MLB decides to eliminate the team if stadium talks don't go forward.

eznark

Banned
Yeah but this lease doesn't seem to be contraction proof if MLB decides to eliminate the team if stadium talks don't go forward.

lol, Selig pushed contraction for a decade before finally giving it up. It's not happening. As the article says, the only real strong arm tactic the team has is bankruptcy, and no chance they would choose that route.

Zee-Row

Banned
lol, Selig pushed contraction for a decade before finally giving it up. It's not happening. As the article says, the only real strong arm tactic the team has is bankruptcy, and no chance they would choose that route.

I hope not , I really don't want to see anything happen to the Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom