• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

eznark and KOG...

Has their ever been a more mismatched pair?

Well both are kinda bigoted...

X0nEk.gif

Sharp

What is MLB GAFs opinion of Total Average as a stat? I was reading up on it and it seemed like a good stat, so I can't figure out why it's not popular.
Honestly I think it's fine, OPS is just more popular for whatever reason and more people know its scale. wOBA / wRC+ are more accurate than either so I try to use that whenever possible.

One criticism I found:
Some analysts look at the game and come to the conclusion that bases gained are what’s important. If a player gains more bases than the number of outs he consumes the better he is. Although in the last twenty years many people have worked on developing such systems, the concept was applied to Major League Baseball as far back as the turn of the century. At that time, a man named Travis Hoke began compiling a base grounded system for Branch Rickey and the St. Louis Browns. Although the system stopped being used after two seasons due to the overwhelming burden of computation placed upon Mr. Hoke, it stands as the first time such as system was developed. (Read all about Mr. Hoke's system in Esquire magazine’s October 1935 issue or at my web site at http://www.baseballstuff.com/btf/pages/essays/rickey/hoke.htm.

Although I guess on some level the whole concept of evaluating players by comparing bases is true, I don't think it's the best way to go. The goal for an offense is to score runs, not to accumulate bases. Although base stats correlate with runs, the correlation is not as high as the correlation for the stats expressed in estimated runs.

cashman

Banned
Rangers were definitely not the better team tonight, but they still got the win. It's been a while since we've gotten one like that, tired of being on the losing end of those.

Sharp

The Baseball Reference fan player rater is absolutely awful. Take Mariano Rivera. By straight WAR he should be ranked #72 and by leverage-adjusted WAR he should be ranked around #34. He has the best ERA+ of all time. He is the best reliever ever and it's not close. Despite these indisputable facts, Mariano Rivera is ranked at #155 on the player rater. Pitchers ranked above him according to the fan rater include Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman, Dan Quisenberry, Rollie Fingers, Javier Vazquez and Derek Lowe. People are dumb.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just looked at the standings for the first time in a while. Feels bad being a Barves fan right now, but at least we aren't the Phillies.

RBH

Just looked at the standings for the first time in a while. Feels bad being a Barves fan right now, but at least we aren't the Phillies.

4.5 games back isn't too bad, all things considered. Hopefully things will turn around with the upcoming ten game homestand.

squall211

It's absolutely mind boggling to think that RA Dickey could have 13 or 14 wins by the All-Star break. Will he get three starts before the break?

eznark

Banned
If I'm Rocket I demand my name be taken off the ballot. I wouldn't want to share any honors with as pedestrian a player as Jim Rice. It sullies his exemplary career.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
tied with the pirates for the last Wild Card. (Mets vs. Braves/Pirates as of now for the 1 game playoff).

turnbuckle

Indians only a half game out of first with a -40 run differential.

Nothing flukey about the Tribe!

The central battle for mediocrity is pretty much an annual event now. Only thing that needs to happen is for the Twins to make a surprise run to the playoffs only to get swept in the first round again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom