• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Not sure if this is the same or not, but I initially got drafted by the Yankees in the second round. Unfortunately, the Yankees were literally the ONLY team I didn't want to be on, so I said as much to the GM.

That forces you back to college, where you can play the showcase games again. Then I was drafted in the first round by the Blue Jays, which I'm fine with!

It seems like you have a great chance at increasing your draft stock if you go through the showcase games again (and do well!). So far there have been no negative repercussions of telling off a GM of a MLB team...!

I got drafted by the Yankees in the second round as well.

I don't think the draft placement is as random as it should be tbh. Like I saw Ramone do two different RTTS starts in their stream and he got drafted in the exact same spot twice.

Hopefully DF or someone legit does a breakdown of this and we can see for sure. Maybe I am way off. Just my honest insight and observations based on my experience.
I've mentioned above, but I can probably help you out with resolution questions, rather than having to wait on Digital Foundry (who may never cover the game). Just post 4K screenshots from the various modes, and I can look at them.

In your time with the game so far you haven't noticed anything like this (watch the rendering line in the crowd)

https://youtu.be/HeXk4sS7ofs
https://youtu.be/hLY0h_Qp23o

in any of your gameplay? This is a controlled replay, but on hard hit balls where the crowd comes into view suddenly, like mostly on hard hit pulled fouls, I get this rendering line every time

another example

https://youtu.be/HeXk4sS7ofs

Edit: Does anyone get this kind of rendering line in the crowd as shown in these vids? I feel like my Pro is dying or something
This just looks like standard LOD change to me, nothing broken or weird. (Though your "another example" is just a repeat of the first one.)

Not sure if this is the same or not, but I initially got drafted by the Yankees in the second round. Unfortunately, the Yankees were literally the ONLY team I didn't want to be on, so I said as much to the GM.

That forces you back to college, where you can play the showcase games again. Then I was drafted in the first round by the Blue Jays, which I'm fine with!

It seems like you have a great chance at increasing your draft stock if you go through the showcase games again (and do well!). So far there have been no negative repercussions of telling off a GM of a MLB team...!

I was able to get the 13th pick in the first round without going to college. I think it's entirely dependent on your performance in the showcase games. I ended up going to the Pirates
I would have loved to have been drafted by the Yankees though

GravyButt

This comes from user TexChex on gfaqs board so all credit goes to him if you want to get drafted to a particular team :

If it hasnt been figured out yet, you can pick the team that drafts you. The way I did it is as follows:

Play the showcase games but opt to go back to school.
Play the next set of Showcase games.
After you finish look in the clubhouse "status board" where it shows your training points, attributes etc.. and there is an option in there to pick the club that drafts you. Hope this helps.

Edit:

Confirmed to work by users on there. I haven't personally tried it yet though.

TheShocker

Finally got this game fired up and played a quick exhibition match. Picked my 2015 WS Champs, the Royals vs the 2016 champs the Cubs.

Was a 4-2 Cubs game going into the bottom of the 9th. Got a base hit with Gordo and then hit a well placed line drive to left field with Mondesi for an inside the park HR for the tie!!!! I ended up losing the game in the 14th due to me accidentally canceling a throw to second for the out. Was trying to turn a double play and tried throwing to first a little early. I got a runner to 2nd in the bottom of the 14th, but couldn't bring him in. I. Love. This. Game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is a stupid, stupid, dumb question but when loading up the game, it plays a Cubs vs. Indians game. Is there any way to skip this? The game has installed. I don't see an option to skip it.

This is a stupid, stupid, dumb question but when loading up the game, it plays a Cubs vs. Indians game. Is there any way to skip this? The game has installed. I don't see an option to skip it.

An Exit option will appear in the menu eventually. I didn't note exactly when it shows up, just that I paused the game at some point and noticed it was there (even though it was not there when I checked earlier).

The game did "install", but is still installing the rest of the game. In the meantime, the only thing you can do is play Cubs vs. Indians. Be patient, the game will eventually download and install in full.

HoTHiTTeR

Is the equipment you get from card packs to use in RTTS one time use items?

Apply to upgrade your player stats. These persist and are replaceable with higher level item cards as collected. They can also be sold for stubs when not bound to a RTTS player.

Xater

I think my DD strategy now has to be just play and wait until the silver prices come down.

I have some real trouble hitting this year. So I decided to switch away from the default view I am usually fine with. Now using strike zone zoom and I am doing way better.

BFIB

Played last night at Fenway. Top of the ninth, tied 5-5 after Piscotty launched a moon shot. Grichuk hits a single, Wong hits a bee line right at the right fielder. He misplays the route, ball goes over his head. Never seen this before.

Karish

This game is great. Started diamond dynasty last night and lost my first game 1-0, so painful after all that time!!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
how are the graphics? i imagine since it is no longer cross generational that there is a massive upgrade

I just picked this up last night. I'm blown away lol

Haven't played the series since MLB 15 IIRC. Playing on a Samsung HDR/4K and it looks stunning. Possibly the best looking sports game I've seen.

Played a night game on my lunch, game is so much fun!

Are you guys playing in high framerate mode, advanced graphics, or 4K? I'm using Advanced Graphics and have my HDR slider up halfway. Looks pretty good on my Samsung. For some reason the game seems to take a frame rate hit when I have it in 4K and it's too janky for me. Using the Advanced Graphics setting looks real nice though.

Neat

Neo Member
What do the left and right D-pad buttons do during a game? The controls menu says something like Batter Attributes and Pitcher/Batter Trends, but when I push the buttons, nothing happens. Playing in a season mode.

ElNino

gameplay is buttery smooth. goddamn this game is sweet
Until you play online at least. Honestly, this is the first time I've tried to play a "Show" game online, and I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it if this is what it will be like.

I tried to play one game of the Battle Royale mode (the three inning draft team game), and almost every hit had a stutter between the when the ball was hit and when it switched to a camera in the field. When I was pitching, there was a delay of a few seconds every time before any buttons would register and in the second inning the game eventually glitched out where the camera stayed on my infielder after he tagged a guy out trying for a double and never left him. I couldn't do anything other than go back to the PS4 home screen and close the game. Haven't gone back in so I'm not sure if it gave me a loss or not.

Xater

Until you play online at least. Honestly, this is the first time I've tried to play a "Show" game online, and I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it if this is what it will be like.

I tried to play one game of the Battle Royale mode (the three inning draft team game), and almost every hit had a stutter between the when the ball was hit and when it switched to a camera in the field. When I was pitching, there was a delay of a few seconds every time before any buttons would register and in the second inning the game eventually glitched out where the camera stayed on my infielder after he tagged a guy out trying for a double and never left him. I couldn't do anything other than go back to the PS4 home screen and close the game. Haven't gone back in so I'm not sure if it gave me a loss or not.

I had a game like that as well. I didn't quit though. The connection ended eventually and I got a win. I also had games that felt quite good and remember that I am from Germany. That means I have to play with people from the US quite often.

A few conquest games after Jonathan Villar kept wrecking me I get him after a game :D

I now have Villar and Dee Gordon........if I was a bunt cheeser I'd be in heaven

Xater

Ok here is something I never quite got: How do you bunt successfully? Also what are the best situations to do it?

Ok here is something I never quite got: How do you bunt successfully? Also what are the best situations to do it?

Really depends.

Here's an example of a situation where you may consider bunting:

You're playing @ a national league park and you have someone on first w/ no outs and your pitcher at the plate. It's still not late enough into the game and you don't want to take your pitcher out and bring in a pinch hitter. Instead, you try to bunt and move the guy at first into scoring position (called a sacrifice bunt), and if it's successful, you now have the top of your lineup to try to score him w/ 1 out (because the pitcher will be thrown out on the sacrifice bunt).

I like to bunt slow rollers toward the 3b line, I find I'm most successful doing that, especially with a faster player (sometimes I'll even get a base hit out of it). It's really hit or miss though. Sometimes the third basemen will be quick enough to make the sacrifice difficult, or the ball just gets hit too lightly and the catchers immediately got it, or it's hit too quickly towards third/pitcher. Keep in mind that every bunt counts as a strike--you cannot get a foul ball bunting w/ a two strike count, it'll be an out.

FrankWza

With hitting being traditionally difficult feel free to bunt if you find yourself in a lot of low scoring close games. If you have runners at 3rd with less than 2 outs you have options to get the runner home and the other team has to be more careful of a wild pitch or squeeze. Also, if a pitcher has a split type pitch or a big curve that they throw low in the zone, you negate their ability to use it as much since a wild pitch or foul ball will lead to a run.

How many players does this game support locally? Is it fun as a pick-up and play title for players who aren't familiar with baseball? I'm debating whether to pick this up for work or not, I'm not too sure this will be popular with the kids (I work for a mobile video game theatre, we try collecting every major local multiplayer title for these systems). We have pretty much every other 2K17 sport title covered. We do have an MLB game in our collection that is rarely picked, but it's a very old PS3 version so that doesn't surprise me.

Rommel

ROMMEL PLEASE

HOW

YsbKHg1.gif

Dubz

Skipped the last two years but I just got this one. I always suck at hitting in MLB games. What's a good hitting mode to start with if I want to not score 1 run every game?

joeblow

There's no need to wait on Digital Foundry. If you can post screenshots and videos, from the various graphical modes or with Boost Mode on/off, we can do analysis here.

Hey amigo, I just bought the game with the 20% off discount code. It should be done dloading in an hour and I'll post up some 1080P Pro screenies at that time for you.

Carm

So, I'm new to The Show series and sim type baseball in general. In fact, prior to buying this the only BB I've played since the Super NES era was Super Mega Baseball.

I have a question on hitting types (directional,zone). What do people usually use and is there one that is preferable for someone that is new to the series?

I'm currently using zone but after watching a YouTube video for tips I'm more confused. The video I watched the person never moved the reticle from its default position. Is this how you should be using zone hitting?

Also, within the reticle, is it always preferable to hit the ball while it's dead center or does hitting at different areas within the reticle produce different desirable hits?

The marketplace, is there a guide,video or tips someone can suggest on how much to sell cards for, compare to listed pieces? I don't want to under or overprice things. Obviously different prices for different cards. I usually ignore player economies in mmo's and other games so this is all new to me.

Enhanced visuals and 4k do absolutely nothing on 1080p displays. It's a weird deal that they even let us select them at all.

1080p displays with this game only get high framerate mode. You can't then it off or on, it's always on no matter what. It's how The Show 17 plays on Pro 1080p displays, no matter what

Lexxism

Dammit. I really hate the AA's manager decision. I always getting replaced in the 6th inning even with 3-4 runs lead.

MLB 4K setting on 1080P HDTV (PS4 Pro):
MLB Enhanced Visual setting on 1080P HDTV (PS4 Pro):
Thanks a lot for these! I can definitively say that there's no downsampling from higher resolution in either setting. Both are natively rendered at 1080p, with (not very effective) post-processing AA. At least for these shots, I don't see any graphical differences between the two modes.

If anybody can get 4K shots off their Pro for the various modes, I could try to see what the differences really are. Thanks again for your help!

Top Bottom