• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

pixelation

Maia vs Masdival confirmed for UFC 211 Dallas with Stipe vs Dos Ajos and JJ vs Andrade.

Can Masvidal keep Maia from taking him down?, i don't think i've ever seen Masvidal's ground game but from what i know it's nowhere near Maia's level, this is a tough match up for Masvidal (i can see a boring ass fight with Maia riding Masvidal's back on the floor for 3 minutes of each round...) but hey... he wanted it so he damn better have an ace game plan.

Can Masvidal keep Maia from taking him down?, i don't think i've ever seen Masvidal's ground game but from what i know it's nowhere near Maia's level, this is a tough match up for Masvidal (i can see a boring ass fight with Maia riding Masvidal's back on the floor for 3 minutes of each round...) but hey... he wanted it so he damn better have an ace game plan.
Masvidal was street fighting while Maia was winning BJJ world championships. Masvidal's wrestling and BJJ is likely on Condit's level. Maia's biggest challenge is Father Time.

zewone

Honestly I feel good about this. Romero is a dirty fighter; not entitled to anything.

GSP at 185 opens up a lot of fun fights.

Lol so Romero isn't happening?

Romero gonna have to sit around and twittle his thumbs because something tells me that once GSP dry humps Bisping to death for 5 rounds to win the title he will avoid Romero also. He'll probably go the Conor McGregor route and look for another money fight without actually defending the belt.

Chesskid1

Banned
i remember canada was going to be a huge market for the UFC, always having events there, then GSP went on break and i don't hear about canada much if at all anymore, especially since rory never really caught on.

i'm happy GSP isn't facing a knockout beast tbh, hope he looks good.

i have a soft spot for firas fighters after watching his youtube videos regularly.

Levito

Banned
God they aren't even trying to hide their carny shit these days eh?

Oh well I fucking love GSP and I hope he destroys Bisping.

Bisping vs GSP is an absolute farce.

Fuck the UFC for making it.

Fucking Bisping for ducking contenders.

Fuck GSP for taking the fight. He's a welterweight, he doesn't belong at middleweight.

broz0rs

This goes back to the Cruz podcast where it's essentially just all about stars at this points. Rankings are only there as backup to the real plan.

SteveWD40

Bisping takes this handily, he has been active and GSP is rusty as fuck, plus I don't see him being able to manhandle the larger Count. The only person to do that was Kennedy when Bisping was coming off eye surgery. Chael struggled to hold him down, Rashad did as well.

iddqd

Yeah, I live in Canada so I'm for GSP by being here but man, it would just increase this booking shit show if he would win that belt.
And I actually think Bisping should win this, 3.5 years of GSP ring rust against someone who made it his business to circle and not get taken down.

Are they doing an interim now with Cookie Monster Romero vs Crocodile Jacare?

Bisping takes this handily, he has been active and GSP is rusty as fuck, plus I don't see him being able to manhandle the larger Count. The only person to do that was Kennedy when Bisping was coming off eye surgery. Chael struggled to hold him down, Rashad did as well.

GSP has been training the whole time he's been off. He won't be as rusty as you may believe. He'll definitely be a better version then the GSP we saw when he left. Bisping is in for a rough night.

Banglish

Yeah, I live in Canada so I'm for GSP by being here but man, it would just increase this booking shit show if he would win that belt.
And I actually think Bisping should win this, 3.5 years of GSP ring rust against someone who made it his business to circle and not get taken down.

Are they doing an interim now with Cookie Monster Romero vs Crocodile Jacare?

Bisping should win this, but he won't. My logic is Anderson and Henderson were supposed to win against him and with the ufc doing all this fuckitty matching.. it just makes sense yenno.

zewone

GSP has been training with John Danaher and Freddy Roach. Freddy Roach will be one of his corner men. I think he knows what he's doing.

brentech

GSP has been training with John Danaher and Freddy Roach. Freddy Roach will be one of his corner men. I think he knows what he's doing.
Pretty sure Roach has been with him for significant time. Hendricks still dusted him up. While Bisping has never had that power, he's always been superb at defending takedowns and scrambling.
I just don't think GSP can get it done after all this time.

I'll never discount someone's ability to get a flash ko/knockdown and finish, but I don't think he could win in 5. At least not without a couple other fights first.

Chesskid1

Banned
1DQV3RR.png

damn..

GSP has fought like no one really good..

the other GOATs opposition were so much tougher

Pretty sure Roach has been with him for significant time. Hendricks still dusted him up. While Bisping has never had that power, he's always been superb at defending takedowns and scrambling.

I'll never discount someone's ability to get a flash ko/knockdown and finish, but I don't think he could win in 5. At least not without a couple other fights first.

Don't be surprised if he disposes of Bisping quickly. Their camp is notorious for matching up well with their fighters and coming up with a gameplan that is dam near flawless. He picked Bisping for a reason. It's not because of his status in the UFC either. Bisping is easy prey for GSP.

zewone

1DQV3RR.png

damn..

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but he cleared out an entire division with one smudge on his whole record (that he redeemed).

He's been out almost 4 years by the time he fights again. If you mean he hasn't fought the latest crop of great fighters, yeah, it's because they weren't competition at the time.

Banglish

Are we still pretending Hendricks was only taking protein and fish oil during this fight and half of his UFC career..

iddqd

1DQV3RR.png

damn..

You must be joking.
He pretty much always fought the No1 guy right behind him.
Fitch was unbeatable and GSP destroyed him.

It's always easy to do this looking back, Anderson fought bums like Leites, Cote and could not do anything against a sleepy Maia.
But "old" UFC was pretty great at forcing the champs fight the no1 contenders.
This "new" UFC will make these Champs records a real clusterfuck of randomness.
(OSP fought for an interim belt less then a year ago!)

brentech

Are we still pretending Hendricks was only taking protein and fish oil during this fight and half of his UFC career..
Nope.

Either way, remove Hendricks from the equation if you think he was the only possible user out there.
For the other reasons that I stated above, and the fact that GSP, like Bisping, is not an elite power striker, I just don't think he out boxes Bisping.

I'm not out here saying the dude has no chance at a victory. I just don't think that in his first fight back, that he takes a W from Bisping - particularly 'because he has Roach cornering him'.
I think it has to be a striking match though, because I don't see his wresting game winning that fight for him.

Chesskid1

Banned
i just looked up GSP and expected to see a more impressive list with how many people called him the GOAT

i started watching around UFC 100 and looking at GSP's record UFC 100 is when he started to decision everyone, then when he started truly fighting UFC fighters that were approaching the elite status like condit and hendricks (i guess) he struggled so hard. i know it's hindsight and that was the competition back then but damn.

i really hope he improved a ton during his break.

to me, it looks like the stars aligned and everything came together for him to dominate the division like that, and he got out just in time.

zewone

Nope.

Either way, remove Hendricks from the equation if you think he was the only possible user out there.
For the other reasons that I stated above, and the fact that GSP, like Bisping, is not an elite power striker, I just don't think he out boxes Bisping.

I'm not out here saying the dude has no chance at a victory. I just don't think that in his first fight back, that he takes a W from Bisping - particularly 'because he has Roach cornering him'.
I think it has to be a striking match though, because I don't see his wresting game winning that fight for him.
GSP is going to win by submission. The story is he's been spending a lot of time with the Danaher Death Squad which is currently leading the competitive jiu jitsu scene.

Heel

GSP is going to win by submission. The story is he's been spending a lot of time with the Danaher Death Squad which is currently leading the competitive jiu jitsu scene.

I don't see the story. He's been with Danaher for years and years.

Top Bottom