• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moé/Lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jexhius said:
I'd call this a confusion of definiton - a show with moe aspects need not be a moe show - it may just contain those aspects. I'm not saying moe is essentially a good thing or a bad thing for a show, or even if its a type of show or character. It's is simply that reaction. Yet when most people talk of moe they are implying the show that contains nothing but moe, no characters really, just a vessel for merchandising.
well, that's a problem with the industry rather then with moe, im not really sure what the word is, over-commercializing or something. We could theoretically have the exact same problem if super robot COURAGE shows had taken over in the place of moe. I think everyone will agree anime could use alittle more variety. just not to the extent that people are calling for a genre to be purged from existence since that would just perpetuate the lack of variety.

I don't really know if they are making an argument so much as listing off character types and linking it all together into one web. And if they are makign an argument, which they may be, isn't the deconstruction of characters necessary to explain any potential argument?
well yea, my problem was that they just got it wrong. Yandere's are not moe, if your reaction to a yandere is 'moe-like' then odds are it wasn't a yandere. Yandere's are pretty much the anti-moe, being attracted to one is sorta like being attracted to the main character of the movie teeth.

plus although higarushi is moe, there are no yanderes in it and he apparently wasn't paying much attention, i mean the main characters of every arc are the ones who are delusional [and usually the only ones too], thats sort of important. if anything keiichi was the one who 'realized the power of love' and helped rena get over the paranoia caused by the mindfuck virus.

chowderomfgsw4.jpg

*japanwierdshit.jpg*

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
I don't really know if they are making an argument so much as listing off character types and linking it all together into one web. And if they are makign an argument, which they may be, isn't the deconstruction of characters necessary to explain any potential argument?

If they were trying to make an argument, there's no main point besides what character archetypes spawned from moe and defining them.

After reading the CD article, the only thing I agree with it is that characters or aspects of characters can elicit feelings of sympathy and/or adoration, or moe, which runs closer to my own definition.

But no wonder I'm so confused with what the prevalent meaning of moe is. Moe can also mean an attraction to certain aesthetic appearances or styles like nekomimi? I'm lost.

tokkun

Even if it is hard to define, I feel strongly that there is a definite difference between 'heartwarming' series with cute characters - like Haibane Renmei, Niea_7, Yotsuba&, or Yokohama Kidaishi Kikou - and 'moe' series like Clannad or K-On.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
tokkun said:
Even if it is hard to define, I feel strongly that there is a definite difference between 'heartwarming' series with cute characters - like Haibane Renmei, Niea_7, Yotsuba&, or Yokohama Kidaishi Kikou - and 'moe' series like Clannad or K-On.

There absolutely is, and it's readily apparent without even watching the shows in question. Google image search Clannad, and it's:

offensivegarbage.jpg

This is downright offensive. It's just a sensory overload of saccharin moe characteristics dialed to 11.

haibanerenmei.jpg

Hey look: art. The actual show has a somewhat simpler look, but it's consistent with an art style. It doesn't just pander.

KTallguy

Banned
I love Lain, and although it had some sexualized scenes, it was kept to a minimum, and the story was quite good. I really love that series and art style.

Jex

Geneijin said:
But no wonder I'm so confused with what the prevalent meaning of moe is. Moe can also mean an attraction to certain aesthetic appearances or styles like nekomimi? I'm lost.

Well yeah, kind of, I think, maybe. I'll try to summarise the argument given in the essay although it might make my head explode.

1. Moe is thing which illicits a certain protective/adoration response in the viewer.

2. It is possible to take the aspects that are associated with this response away from the exact situation with which they appeared.

3. Once you have extracted the elements of Moe you can recombine the different parts at your lesiure to re-create the moe response - cat ears, maid constumes, clumsyness, big glassess, big eyes, short skirts, what have you can all be taken from a situation and applied to another. This is a bit like semiotics (the study of signs and symbols). In romantic comedy if you see a knife on the table and you don't think much about it, in a horror movie your mind is coded to think of that as a weapon that could be used to kill someone, your response differs between the situations. Yet the various moe symbols, when used, are designed specifically to illicit the moe response.

4. There are moe reactions that have nothing to do with anime - but within that industry they have become collected as a 'database'. This contains a variety of specific characters/traits/outfits that are connected to the specific Japanease moe elements. These pieces are very often deliberatelly constructed to form 'moe' shows or 'moe' games. Yet they are often designed to exist as things that can be taken out of any context and enjoyed through multiple mediums - games, products etc. This is where they very large moe industry comes into play. They understand these trends well and so they design these characters that will sell these products. "The consumer patterns of the modern anime otaku require that any aspect of a character be interchangeable and easily recognisable free from the original story because the anime or manga itself is not the primary source of income. You have to be able to grasp a character's inherent qualities immediately from looking at a plastic figurine."

Obviously a lot of this exists subjectively, in the mind of the viewer, yet it still feels that, for me, I just 'know' if something is a moe show (here it is right to see character designs playing a big role) and something containing moe elements (Yotsuba, Remnei whatever) Mainly it's the most pandering elements of the moe show such as uniforms, characters that only exist to do moe things etc that are the biggest giveaways although it's fair to see that there could exist shows that straddle that line in the middle. Yet there is also the undercurrent of sexuality which may be expressed overtly or in more subtle ways - you could argue that these characters cotnain 'innocent' traits and that those get turned around by fans but in the language of Japanease images certain things are just coded to be sexual which are different to things that we may code to be sexual.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
tokkun said:
there is a difference, but they're both still moe.

think of it in the sense that humans and chimpanzees are different despite both being apes, its a difference of subcategories within on overarching family grouping that is known as 'moe'.

Also what did clannad do to deserve to be mentioned next to k-on? :lol

EviLore said:
There absolutely is, and it's readily apparent without even watching the shows in question. Google image search Clannad, and it's:

http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/offensivegarbage.jpg

This is downright offensive. It's just a sensory overload of saccharin moe characteristics dialed to 11.

http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/haibanerenmei.jpg

Hey look: art. The actual show has a somewhat simpler look, but it's consistent with an art style. It doesn't just pander.
This is beyond silly, argument via google search of concept art and its certainly odd to say that clannad is not consistent with Keys artstyle. While its fine enough to say that you dislike it or that you dislike how it was heavily adopted by other studios, you can't slight Key for using the style they heavily influenced and helped pioneer in the first place.

anyway, what I'm getting at is that i like Clannad and thus you are wrong whenever you slight it.

@akachan: that's part 3 of a three part story, the first two plots deal with a feud between two fat weeaboos online [a moe fan and a gurren laggan fan], in the previous comic the dad encouraged his son to not give up and get revenge on the other weeaboo, which he did.

VAIL

EviLore said:

offensivegarbage.jpg

Made my teeth hurt just lookin at it...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
tokkun said:

I'd argue K-On belongs in the first category.

The first group I have no problem with- I even like some of those shows, stuff like K-On and Wagaya no Oinari-sama are both good harmless fun shows.

It's the moe stuff that doesn't have anything going for it otherwise- that is what's killing the industry.

Would you guys call Aria a moeblob show?

You can have moe, and still be a good show. The key is to avoid overdoing the moeblobs.

EviLore said:

offensivegarbage.jpg

Clannad is a good show. Not really a moe or lolicon show. Slice of life show that get's gut wrenching in the second season.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pandaman said:
this is where the problem is, you're looking at moe as if it must be conscious milking of the otaku and that a moe show couldn't possibly have any depth to it. both haibane and ARIA revolve around protagonists who are unabashedly moe, its cute scene followed by cute scene followed by cute scene, it also so happens that these scenes correlate with a well written character driven story, but that doesn't change the fact that the characters are moe and do cute things alot.

2hquiao.jpg

That's one of only a few "cute" scenes, not to mention was directly tied to a later episode. Haibane was a pretty dark show most the time and didn't really involve trying to get the characters in a situation to do cute things. How would you explain something like Kino's Journey? If Rakka counts as Moe, so would Kino, and I can't think of any way to back that up.

Dabookerman said:
Looks vaguely similar to another shitty cultural phenomenon. In fact, one that certainly popularized Moe..

Makes perfect sense if you remember that Mikuru is Dr. Sam Beckett.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DrForester said:
That's one of only a few "cute" scenes. Haibane was a pretty dark show most the time and didn't really involve trying to get the characters in a situation to do cute things. How would you explain something like Kino's Journey? If Rakka counts as Moe, so would Kino, and I can't think of any way to back that up.
i really don't understand how you could watch haibane renmei and miss the moe parts, contrasts between the dark, sadder tones and the idealic peaceful lifestyle was pretty much the entire focus of the series. There was no shortage of moe, save for the Reki torn asunder episodes.

for example, episode two:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-01-34.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-02-34.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-03-07.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-03-56.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-04-24.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-08-09.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-10-38.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-11-10.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-11-53.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-12-08.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-12-40.jpg

was nonstop moe, heck it was pretty much required to have those early moe episodes so that the audiance would care about the character when things started to take a turn towards the darker plot, Haibane is an excellent example of moe done right because of this.

As for Kino's journey, no not as much. i dont remember it aswell as haibane though.

edit:
Pandaman
Everything is moe to me
(Today, 02:26 PM)
Reply | Quote | Edit/Del

oh you glorious bastards.
:lol

DrForester said:
That's one of only a few "cute" scenes, not to mention was directly tied to a later episode. Haibane was a pretty dark show most the time and didn't really involve trying to get the characters in a situation to do cute things. How would you explain something like Kino's Journey? If Rakka counts as Moe, so would Kino, and I can't think of any way to back that up.

Makes perfect sense if you remember that Mikuru is Dr. Sam Beckett.

All I see is the body of a 12 year old girl, with the breasts of a 19 year old girl, and the head of a praying mantis, with a wig.

I'm sick of these anime lying to me. Poison is not a man dammit!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
arstal said:
I'd argue K-On belongs in the first category.

The first group I have no problem with- I even like some of those shows, stuff like K-On and Wagaya no Oinari-sama are both good harmless fun shows.

It's the moe stuff that doesn't have anything going for it otherwise- that is what's killing the industry.

Would you guys call Aria a moeblob show?

You can have moe, and still be a good show. The key is to avoid overdoing the moeblobs.

Yeah, I mean, take away the obvious moe-bait and K-On becomes a somewhat charming story about girls trying to start a band.

I don't see how anyone can call Aria moeblob though. Perhaps Akari has the personality of one, but the character designs are fairly restrained.

Alex

I really dislike the awkward repressed fandom some people in here are seemingly going through. I mean, trying to exonerate Clannad from the pack, really? There has to be a point where you stop and realize that maybe you just enjoy this sort of thing, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.

This hits close to home, because getting pretty sour show recommendations from these type of people is probably a good reason of why I just gave up. Slice of Life is a particularly vile genre, and being a fan of Azuma's books and the Azumanga anime, trying to find like minded stuff really resulted in me wading through a lot of really offensive things.

Also, I really doubt most people mind children present, or cute things. You wouldn't even be in here discussing things if you did. It's just the way the landscape has changed on the shows that support those formats over the last ever-so-many years. More fetishy, more pandering, more airtime wasted on obnoxious fanservice instead of good comedy or dialogue.

Dahbomb

Dabookerman said:
Looks vaguely similar to another shitty cultural phenomenon. In fact, one that certainly popularized Moe..

Pic_of_Harutard.gif
Quoted for the mutha fucking truth. I place full blame on this POS.

Jex

Pandaman said:
there is a difference, but they're both still moe.

think of it in the sense that humans and chimpanzees are different despite both being apes, its a difference of subcategories within on overarching family grouping that is known as 'moe'.

This is beyond silly, argument via google search of concept art and its certainly odd to say that clannad is not consistent with Keys artstyle. While its fine enough to say that you dislike it or that you dislike how it was heavily adopted by other studios, you can't slight Key for using the style they heavily influenced and helped pioneer in the first place.

I don't feel like you are really using the term correctly. A thing is not moe, it is a thing which illicits a moe response. That response can also be created is a very specific way - certain character designs, costumes, apparel, character traits, situations etc. If you just use 'moe' in a general term it loses all meaning. "I'm so moe for that cute puppy" - possibly a correct usage but not one that should be used. It's not either "moe" or "not moe" - that would be a binary and limiting way to use the term which fails to reflect it's complexity. Code Geass has a moe charater - a girl, in a wheelchair, who is blind with a fairly distrubing sexual undertones. Yet it is not a moe show. Shinji, from Evangelion may also illicit the moe response in some but it is also not a moe show. When it becomes troublesome is when they noticed "This Rei from Eva sells on whatever you put her on" and thus you have part of the growth of the moe industry.

Also art style is definetely a factor that relates to the amount of moe that you may be able to see in a show. Girls looking kind of underage with big eyes and short skirts is just part of a look associated with moe characters.

Dahbomb said:
Quoted for the mutha fucking truth. I place full blame on this POS.

Moe has been around as a cultural and capitalistic force before that show was even concieved, although it certainly plays heavily on those ideas and is propbably one of the biggest examples in it. But then you have to realise that one of the characters is based off of a character from Eva who was mass merchandised and then it all becomes clear. And ofcourse there was moe merchandise before Eva but thats the most well known example. According to the shows creator she was supposed to be creepy, yet it truned out to be something that everyone wanted to buy.

Dabookerman said:
the_melancholy_of_haruhi__305_1280.jpg

I don't think you could really call Haruhi a moe show. Mikuri does come across as being a moe character some [or maybe most] of the time, but that's about it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Annihilator said:
:lol congrats??
I guess? im not really sure. :lol

actually looking at firehawks post i'd be okay with using moeblob as a distinguisher for lucky star crap within moe as a whole.

Jex

Great Rumbler said:
I don't think you could really call Haruhi a moe show. Mikuri does come across as being a moe character some [or maybe most] of the time, but that's about it.

Haruhi is not a moe show, it is a disguised harem show with many strong moe elements (even if it claims to be satirising them)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haha, moeblob as a subset of moe. That works.

At least you can then argue that Mikuri is a moeblob but that the show itself is not moe (which I would probably be comfortable actually arguing).

Dahbomb

Jexhius said:
I don't feel like you are really using the term correctly. A thing is not moe, it is a thing which illicits a moe response. That response can also be created is a very specific way - certain character designs, costumes, apparel, character traits, situations etc. If you just use 'moe' in a general term it loses all meaning. "I'm so moe for that cute puppy" - possibly a correct usage but not one that should be used. It's not either "moe" or "not moe" - that would be a binary and limiting way to use the term which fails to reflect it's complexity. Code Geass has a moe charater - a girl, in a wheelchair, who is blind with a fairly distrubing sexual undertones. Yet it is not a moe show. Shinji, from Evangelion may also illicit the moe response in some but it is also not a moe show. When it becomes troublesome is when they noticed "This Rei from Eva sells on whatever you put her on" and thus you have part of the growth of the moe industry.

Also art style is definetely a factor that relates to the amount of moe that you may be able to see in a show. Girls looking kind of underage with big eyes and short skirts is just part of a look associated with moe characters.
I don't get this post. What constitutes "moe"? Is it a "feeling", an art style, character portrayal or story/plot direction?

Ok so we can reach the consensus that something like Clannad is moe and is generally not "great" (I am being generous here). We can also agree that something like Berserk is not moe and is generally good.

Now what about Elfen Lied? Is that "moe"? Aside from the art style and some scenes, most of it is blood, guts and nudity with some what of a story thrown in the mix and some other disturbing scenes thrown in the mix. It's like polar opposites of what is moe and what isn't (ie. cute young girls being decapitated with copious amounts of blood and gore).

What about Garden of Sinners? Is this "moe" too? Haibane Renmei? Haruhi? Rumbling Hearts? Fate Stay Night?

I am being serious here, I don't feel that I know the distinction all too well.

And WTF is a moeblob?

Dahbomb said:
I don't get this post. What constitutes "moe"? Is it a "feeling", an art style, character portrayal or story/plot direction?

Ok so we can reach the consensus that something like Clannad is moe and is generally not "great" (I am being generous here). We can also agree that something like Berserk is not moe and is generally good.

Now what about Elfen Lied? Is that "moe"? Aside from the art style and some scenes, most of it is blood, guts and nudity with some what of a story thrown in the mix and some other disturbing scenes thrown in the mix. It's like polar opposites of what is moe and what isn't (ie. cute young girls being decapitated with copious amounts of blood and gore).

What about Garden of Sinners? Is this "moe" too? Haibane Renmei? Haruhi? Rumbling Hearts? Fate Stay Night?

And WTF is a moeblob?

As with pornography, you can't define moe but you'll know it when you see it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dahbomb said:

And WTF is a moeblob?

In my opinion, I would argue that authorial intent plays a much more important part in the definition of a moe show - which is why a show can have elements of moe but not necessarily be moe.

Now, the quality of a show that is moe is entirely subjective - and that's where audience interpretations of moe muddy the concept of the term itself.

And fake edit: a moeblob is a character that is designed to be embody all the "worse" aspects of moe - which ranges from being extremely cute and cheery to being extremely vulnerable.

Jex

Dahbomb said:

Good question! Above I give a variety of longer answers because I feel that it is ill defined. But from those above posts.

"1. Moe is thing which illicits a certain protective/adoration response in the viewer."

So moe is not a genre, it is anything which illicits these responses. It could be girls in maid outifts, cat ears, character traits (clumsy behavoir), character design (strangely underage looking girls with big eyes) or any of the above. Moe really exists as something subjective for the viewer.

So yes, all those shows mentioned may contain moe elements. Even if you combine them with gore or giant robots they are still moe elements.

Jex

Great Rumbler said:
As with pornography, you can't define moe but you'll know it when you see it.

Yeah I feel that was too instinctively but you can break it down into understandable pieces.

firehawk12 said:
In my opinion, I would argue that authorial intent plays a much more important part in the definition of a moe show - which is why a show can have elements of moe but not necessarily be moe.

Now, the quality of a show that is moe is entirely subjective - and that's where audience interpretations of moe muddy the concept of the term itself.

Yeah that is true, and many shows are designed to be moe for buisness reasons. But moe can exist outside authorial intention - see Rei from Evangelion. She was created to be wierd. Yet the audience loved her - so similar shows cloned her character and then she becomes part of the moe world.

Edit - some how this became a double post, sorry I'm too stupid to work how to delete the other one and merge it here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Yeah that is true, and many shows are designed to be moe for buisness reasons. But moe can exist outside authorial intention - see Rei from Evangelion. She was created to be wierd. Yet the audience loved her - so similar shows cloned her character and then she becomes part of the moe world.

I would probably say that the 'homages' are moe but Rei herself is not.

I just think that context is very important - not just the context in which a show/book is received, but also the context in which a text is created (through parody or irony).

I'm sure there's a real world example of this - but let's say someone created a character that was the perfect embodiment of moe in terms of behaviour but then subverted this by making this character a murderous psychopath. The character may express moe, but the explicit design of the character is not moe (and perhaps anti-moe).

Dahbomb

Well in that case "moe elements" are prevalent in 99% of anime out there. Though their main focus might not be it (like some of the better shows out there) they will have some scenes here and there. Whether it be an art style, a particular character's design or a certain behavior. It is not just limited to underaged school girls with big eyes and mini skirts, apparently.

Whatever the case, these "moe elements" need to be tone downed considerably in the industry. Shows that are basically almost entirely moe (like that ladies vs butler crap... OMFG I died inside looking at that) to a fetish level should die in a fire.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I would probably say that the 'homages' are moe but Rei herself is not.

I just think that context is very important - not just the context in which a show/book is received, but also the context in which a text is created (through parody or irony).

I'm sure there's a real world example of this - but let's say someone created a character that was the perfect embodiment of moe in terms of behaviour but then subverted this by making this character a murderous psychopath. The character may express moe, but the explicit design of the character is not moe (and perhaps anti-moe).

I also feel that Rei may not be moe for me but for many others she certainly was. Yet as I said moe is just a response so it is neither good nor bad. This is because Moe is so subjective.

On the anti-moe part that may be true, I've watched Elfin Lied a couple of times and I'm not quite sure what it's message is. If any.

Dahbomb said:
Well in that case "moe elements" are prevalent in 99% of anime out there.

They certainly are very prevalent.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Jexhius said:
I don't feel like you are really using the term correctly. A thing is not moe, it is a thing which illicits a moe response. That response can also be created is a very specific way - certain character designs, costumes, apparel, character traits, situations etc. If you just use 'moe' in a general term it loses all meaning. "I'm so moe for that cute puppy" - possibly a correct usage but not one that should be used.
sorry for missing your post.
IIRC it actually was one of the earlier usages of the term, wherein people would be 'moe' for specific fetishism's like hime cuts and girls with glasses, etc.

As it is, im using 'moe show' to refer to shows with main characters that capitalize off of moe traits to inspire a 'protective' emotional response in the viewer. good moe uses this to establish a character to follow, moeshit does this and then the seasons over.

It's not either "moe" or "not moe" - that would be a binary and limiting way to use the term which fails to reflect it's complexity. Code Geass has a moe charater - a girl, in a wheelchair, who is blind with a fairly distrubing sexual undertones. Yet it is not a moe show. Shinji, from Evangelion may also illicit the moe response in some but it is also not a moe show. When it becomes troublesome is when they noticed "This Rei from Eva sells on whatever you put her on" and thus you have part of the growth of the moe industry.
well, this is a dozy... i agree, disagree and maybe agree at different points you're making here. :lol so you're certainly right when you say its a complex term. first off, while i think shows are either moe or not moe, i do think shows can have moe characters without being moe shows, code geass being a good example, haruhi being another. nunnally might be moe, but she isn't moe towards the viewer as much as she is to lelouche himself, whose entire first season motivation was the fact that he was hardmoe for his sister. moe character with moe points, but she wasn't the motivation for the viewer so its not a moe show. IMO.

as for Rei and the industry moelestation, no argument there. I've never really thought of rei as moe in the series, but how she later came to be portrayed via the industry is certainly heavy on moe.

I agree, art-style certainly can influence the level of moe but its not the be all end all. If Mei tortured kittens in her spare time i doubt anyone would consider her moe.

On the anti-moe part that may be true, I've watched Elfin Lied a couple of times and I'm not quite sure what it's message is. If any.
racism is bad, lucy et al were just normal kids, their homicidal nature was largely a result of the abuses they suffered for being 'monsters'. [initial monster image probably fueled by a kid with superpowers going through puberty].

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I really like the word moeblob. It sounds like the saccharine cousin of Nightmare from DMC. Just a big blob of mashed up animu faces that's constantly screaming uguu~

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dahbomb said:
Whatever the case, these "moe elements" need to be tone downed considerably in the industry. Shows that are basically almost entirely moe (like that ladies vs butler crap... OMFG I died inside looking at that) to a fetish level should die in a fire.

I would say that moe is used very effectively in Chu Bra!, which is a show that exists to defy categorization. In fact, the source manga is published in a magazine that publishes shoujo manga for a shounen audience.

On the one hand, it's meant to appeal to the base desires of the so-called moe-lover (the main character is a moeblob), but on the other hand the themes and messaging are meant to destabilize that person's preconceptions of idealized femininity. The main character is helpless, but she is also given agency to solve her own problems. The show sexualizes the characters, but subverts this sexualization through it's almost mechanical description of the female form.

It's just interesting because it's a case of a show being moe yet also subverting moe. Unfortunately, it depends entirely on the audience to pick up the subversive nature of the show.

Brobzoid said:
I really like the word moeblob. It sounds like the saccharine cousin of Nightmare from DMC. Just a big blob of mashed up animu faces that's constantly screaming uguu~

Haha. I can't speak for arstal, but I picked it up from TVTropes. It really is a very suggestive term. :lol

Haruhi was the first anime, I THINK, to popularize moe outside of Japan. Not just moe. Pretty much everything annoying with anime in general today.

Let's list them.

-Annoying moe insect like characters.
-Stupid FUCKING DANCE
-Aya Hirano
-The stupid bug eyed look.

Now I'm not saying these things didn't exist before. They did, but they certainly didn't boom like this show did.
The most popular animes before this, as far as I recall were shounen animes.
Evangelion I suppose, was the last really popular overseas anime with a lot of emphasis on girls and all that. But they aren't really moe. In fact, for the most part, Evangelion is a pretty grimdark series. It was mainly the merchandise of the girls in the series that sells a lot. It's nothing like Haruhi outside of it's popularity.

Another reason why I can't stand Haruhi and its ilk:

DSC_6501.jpg

hamchan

Dahbomb said:

And WTF is a moeblob?

I'm also pretty confused about the definition. There are some obvious things that can differentiate series such as the art and the perverted situations in the plot. However then you have series like Clannad (which is great :p) which can be called moe because of the art but the story for the most part is pretty damn solid and a hell of a lot different than other most other moe type shows which is mostly random scenarios of bullshit.

Haruhi is also another show that is supposedly moe yet still has a decent plot. Seeing as how it was based on light novels, were the light novels also trying to be moe? Seems pretty damn hard to do.

So basically if you hate moe stuff it's a bad time to be in anime because like you said, 99% of anime seem to have moe elements, even the ones with the decent plots.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Pandaman said:
i really don't understand how you could watch haibane renmei and miss the moe parts, contrasts between the dark, sadder tones and the idealic peaceful lifestyle was pretty much the entire focus of the series. There was no shortage of moe, save for the Reki torn asunder episodes.

for example, episode two:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-01-34.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-02-34.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-03-07.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-03-56.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-04-24.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-08-09.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-10-38.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-11-10.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-11-53.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-12-08.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/haibanew/00-12-40.jpg

was nonstop moe, heck it was pretty much required to have those early moe episodes so that the audiance would care about the character when things started to take a turn towards the darker plot, Haibane is an excellent example of moe done right because of this.

Did you really take the time to pick out selected images from a single episode of a TV series to prove whatever point it is you are trying to make?

eggandI

Banned
Alex said:
I really dislike the awkward repressed fandom some people in here are seemingly going through. I mean, trying to exonerate Clannad from the pack, really? There has to be a point where you stop and realize that maybe you just enjoy this sort of thing, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.

This hits close to home, because getting pretty sour show recommendations from these type of people is probably a good reason of why I just gave up. Slice of Life is a particularly vile genre, and being a fan of Azuma's books and the Azumanga anime, trying to find like minded stuff really resulted in me wading through a lot of really offensive things.

Also, I really doubt most people mind children present, or cute things. You wouldn't even be in here discussing things if you did. It's just the way the landscape has changed on the shows that support those formats over the last ever-so-many years. More fetishy, more pandering, more airtime wasted on obnoxious fanservice instead of good comedy or dialogue.

Yeah I loled when someone said Clannad wasn't moeblob. It's moeblob mixed with terrible cheesy drama.

hamchan

eggandI said:
Yeah I loled when someone said Clannad wasn't moeblob. It's moeblob mixed with terrible cheesy drama.
What in the fuck is a moeblob. What a weird term, who would invent that 0_o

eggandI

Banned
Your guess is as good as mine but I'm using it in a derogatory manner so fuck if it's meant to be used in any other way :lol

Wait, I'm guessing moeblob refers to the type of shows that are a blob of... moe? Clannad would be the perfect example, I think.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
eggandI said:
Wait, I'm guessing moeblob refers to the type of shows that are a blob of... moe? Clannad would be the perfect example, I think.
I always thought it was meant to refer to characters that are so god damn moe that they appear blob like. K-on character designs for instance.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Lyte Edge said:
Did you really take the time to pick out selected images from a single episode of a TV series to prove whatever point it is you are trying to make?
start>image grabber>select episode>select number of screen shots>generate>pick a few.

takes about 3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom