• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moé/Lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Alex said:
I really dislike the awkward repressed fandom some people in here are seemingly going through. I mean, trying to exonerate Clannad from the pack, really? There has to be a point where you stop and realize that maybe you just enjoy this sort of thing, rather than trying to defend the indefensible.

This hits close to home, because getting pretty sour show recommendations from these type of people is probably a good reason of why I just gave up. Slice of Life is a particularly vile genre, and being a fan of Azuma's books and the Azumanga anime, trying to find like minded stuff really resulted in me wading through a lot of really offensive things.

Also, I really doubt most people mind children present, or cute things. You wouldn't even be in here discussing things if you did. It's just the way the landscape has changed on the shows that support those formats over the last ever-so-many years. More fetishy, more pandering, more airtime wasted on obnoxious fanservice instead of good comedy or dialogue.
Thank you.

Pandaman said:
i really don't understand how you could watch haibane renmei and miss the moe parts, contrasts between the dark, sadder tones and the idealic peaceful lifestyle was pretty much the entire focus of the series. There was no shortage of moe, save for the Reki torn asunder episodes.
Here's the difference.

You find Haibane Renmei to be moe. I might find Heihachi from Otokojuku or Freddy from Cromartie or Alpha from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or Sakaki from Azumanga to be moe. None were created as moe shows. Haibane is a character-driven dream-narrative that's full of metaphor. YKK is a sci-fi story set on a dying earth. Azumanga Daioh is a comedy.

Aria is created as a moe show. It's about nice girls doing cute things and being nice to each other. The plot (or lack thereof) serves the character types and relationships. Hidamari Sketch is about the same thing.

Aria and YKK specifically make a good direct comparison. YKK is full of melancholy and nostalgia for the Earth that was, and for Alpha's lonely existence. Aria has a similar setting, but it's about cute, nice girls. When moe is the driving reason for a show's existence, there's a problem.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Annihilator said:
Clannad is a good show. Not really a moe or lolicon show. Slice of life show that get's gut wrenching in the second season.
Clannad and After Story are both terrible. Clannad is just another shitty Harem.

After Story on the other hand was very good. It dropped the shitty harem. Dare I say...actually had a relationship. Goes through the steps and emotions. Does it extremely well. And all to drop the
Oh yes, it was all fake!
Fuck You KyoAni

Jex

Pandaman said:
racism is bad, lucy et al were just normal kids, their homicidal nature was largely a result of the abuses they suffered for being 'monsters'. [initial monster image probably fueled by a kid with superpowers going through puberty].

Yeah one would assume that to be the case but apparently from the manga (which I haven't read) it also just states that all of the diclonius whatever would just become murdering machines regardless of thier life experiences, but that life experiences didn't help? Talk about a mixed message. Although then having a character switch from that being uber-moe also makes no sense.

Man,moe is such a poorly defined term that i almost regret trying to investigate it.

The Frankman said:

Yeah they explain stuff that others have called "Narratives and characters are deconstructed – i.e., emptied of depth and removed from context – and rearticulated in multiple ways by consumers in pursuit of moe."

in terms of

"An interesting result of this is some moe characters are quasi-Animated Actors; the series they star in need not be related at all, being only devices to enable the viewer to enjoy the character. Many of them feature in Gag Series, and only the merchandise for the series shows off its intended and occasionally creepy roots. "

Which is certainly easier to understand. Damn I love TV Tropes.

Dahbomb said:
Whatever the case, these "moe elements" need to be tone downed considerably in the industry. Shows that are basically almost entirely moe (like that ladies vs butler crap... OMFG I died inside looking at that) to a fetish level should die in a fire.
That's kind of like saying they should tone down 'attractive qualities' in their characters. If moe qualities are sought out and collected in some kind of database of what works/sells and is a jumping off point to create distinct and potentially new character archetypes they should experiment more with this rather than not. Moe itself is an abstract attribute that can be used well in a good show or a bad show like ladies vs butlers.

Lately it seems like 'moeblob' or 'moe shows' are targeted even though things like Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-On fall into slice of life/comedy much like Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga. Even though Azumanga is an accepted quantity now but it's art style was definitely 'moe'.

People use moeblob/moe shows when they cannot otherwise categorize/describe why they dislike a show or even outright dismiss genres. Clannad (i which i haven't seen) is probably better slanted by "cheesy love drama with unlikable characters" vs "moeblob show" as it doesn't describe anything about it. Though ignorance and laziness are bedfellows.

anotheriori said:
Lately it seems like 'moeblob' or 'moe shows' are targeted even though things like Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-On fall into slice of life/comedy much like Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga. Even though Azumanga is an accepted quantity now but it's art style was definitely 'moe'.

People use moeblob/moe shows when they cannot otherwise categorize/describe why they dislike a show or even outright dismiss genres. Clannad (i which i haven't seen) is probably better slanted by "cheesy love drama with unlikable characters" vs "moeblob show" as it doesn't describe anything about it. Though ignorance and laziness are bedfellows.
When a show has few defining elements about it that aren't directly related to moe, i.e. when moe is the driving purpose and structure of the show, then I think it's fair to call it a "moe show."

Jex

anotheriori said:
If moe qualities are sought out and collected in some kind of database of what works/sells and is a jumping off point to create distinct and potentially new character archetypes they should experiment more with this rather than not. Moe itself is an abstract attribute that can be used well in a good show or a bad show like ladies vs butlers.

While I would agree that moe is an abstract term that be attributed in any fashion I don't think it's a good market decision to invest in moe characters. Within Japan it is certainly popular within the main subset of the Otaku but if it ulitmately dominates anime then anime won't appeal to a wide enough audience, such as oversees. Admitedly it doesn't so super well anyway but if everything was moe-character centric it would be certainly locked down into a ghetto.

jiji said:
When a show has few defining elements about it that aren't directly related to moe, i.e. when moe is the driving purpose and structure of the show, then I think it's fair to call it a "moe show."

I agree, and that's when the use of the term moe becomes a valid criticims of a show.

anotheriori said:
That's kind of like saying they should tone down 'attractive qualities' in their characters. If moe qualities are sought out and collected in some kind of database of what works/sells and is a jumping off point to create distinct and potentially new character archetypes they should experiment more with this rather than not. Moe itself is an abstract attribute that can be used well in a good show or a bad show like ladies vs butlers.

Azumanga's art style was Moe?

How so, it was simple and comic like. There are no cute characters in it outside of Chiyo, but that's because she's 11 or 12.

Dabookerman said:

How so, it was simple and comic like. There are no cute characters in it outside of Chiyo, but that's because she's 11 or 12.

I'd actually argue that Sakaki is the most moe of all the Azumanga characters. :lol

Dabookerman said:

Heck by that definition that makes Yotsuba a moe show and it's certainly not IMHO (at least not the manga).

GT500

Neo Member
Easy. Don't watch them. I am only planing to watch Durarara this season and I will watch some animes that I haven't watched yet and continue to read my favourite mangas.

Great Rumbler said:
I'd actually argue that Sakaki is the most moe of all the Azumanga characters. :lol

She is to me <3

The Frankman said:
Heck by that definition that makes Yotsuba a moe show and it's certainly not IMHO (at least not the manga).

That's exactly what I was going to say ;p

Dabookerman said:

The Frankman said:

This is why i think it's a bad idea to call thing moe/moeblob shows because the confusion with shows that contain characters that bank on moe attributes. It could definitely be argued that Yotsuba herself is very moe well as well as the neighboring sisters. If I didn't find Yotsuba hilarious (ie hated comedy or maybe the art style as such criticisms usually thrown against current popular slice of life shows) I could would incorrectly dismiss Yotsuba as a moeblob even though it's still slice of life / comedy.

To me the neighboring sisters and Yotsuba had lives + didn't need to rely on "being cute" to progress the story along... more importantly I really haven't seen anything remotely sexualized in the manga so far.

Jex

Yeah it has been argued that Azumaga Daioh and Yotsuba contain 'moe' characters/traits. "he French manga dictionary Dicomanga noted that despite being a moe series targeted to otaku, it also appealed to female readers for celebrating "friendships between girls as well as [its] comedy." If this is the case then you can see the case where there can be moe-characters within a show that aren't totally offensive, although it would be in a very small minority.

Yet when you use moe as just a description without any implied bias behind it then I could see how people would feel that way. It technically would count as moe elements within a comedy show.

anotheriori said:
This is why i think it's a bad idea to call thing moe/moeblob shows because the confusion with shows that contain characters that bank on moe attributes. It could definitely be argued that Yotsuba herself is very moe well as well as the neighboring sisters. If I didn't find Yotsuba hilarious (ie hated comedy or maybe the art style as such criticisms usually thrown against current popular slice of life shows) I could would incorrectly dismiss Yotsuba as a moeblob even though it's still slice of life / comedy.

I think you seem to have widened your definition of Moe hugely.

Yotsuba and Azumanga focuses on the comedy of life as opposed the cuteness of it. It seems that people have different definitions of what Moe actually is.
To say artstyle is moe, well, it is to a degree. I mean in general. When you have grossly exaggerated features to highlight cuteness, then I suppose this is what you can call Moe these days. Mikuru is a perfect example of this.
Azumanga and Yotsuba have very simple art, almost like a webcomic. There is nothing sexualized ever about them. It's all pretty much down to earth. The only time I ever recall anything remotely sexualized is Sakaki's glorious breasts, and how Tomo keeps mentioning how big they are. I don't EVER recall a panty shot. And panty shots are insanely common in anime's these days.
Chiyo chan, is cute, she is supposed to be cute, and it's part of her character to be unintentionally cute. Although I wouldn't describe her as Moe.
Yotsuba, is incredibly down to earth and pretty much focuses on the world from Yotsuba's point of view. Again, there is never anything remotely moe about it. The art is very comic like and simple. It doesn't bother highlight any sexual or cute features.
yotsuba_chef.jpg
Azu_Manga_Daioh3.jpg

NOT Moe!

I remember that page in Yotsuba and it kept KILLING ME how the Yotsuba's girl
tomboy lol
friend was wearing a Lakers' Shaq jersey.

But yeah, compare Yotsuba (not moe) with something like Dance in the Vampire Bund (moe/pretty much lolicon). Huge difference.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dabookerman said:

Yotsuba and Azumanga focuses on the comedy of life as opposed the cuteness of it. It seems that people have different definitions of what Moe actually is.
To say artstyle is moe, well, it is to a degree. I mean in general. When you have grossly exaggerated features to highlight cuteness, then I suppose this is what you can call Moe these days. Mikuru is a perfect example of this.
Azumanga and Yotsuba have very simple art, almost like a webcomic. There is nothing sexualized ever about them. It's all pretty much down to earth. The only time I ever recall anything remotely sexualized is Sakaki's glorious breasts, and how Tomo keeps mentioning how big they are. I don't EVER recall a panty shot. And panty shots are insanely common in anime's these days.
Chiyo chan, is cute, she is supposed to be cute, and it's part of her character to be unintentionally cute. Although I wouldn't describe her as Moe.
Yotsuba, is incredibly down to earth and pretty much focuses on the world from Yotsuba's point of view. Again, there is never anything remotely moe about it. The art is very comic like and simple. It doesn't bother highlight any sexual or cute features.
moe doesn't have to be sexual, nobody thinks sakaki is moe because shes a stealth american, they think she's moe because shes quiet and kind and loves cute things. its the personality that makes moe, artstyle can only help.

Jex

Dabookerman said:

If you define Moe as just a general illicit response to characters then it doesn't seem troubling to stay with one defintion, even if that seems large at first. It's only a problem when you say X is a moe show. If X contains nothing but moe characters and moe situations then that may be right. Yet you can also say X contains moe elements and that also seems reasonable. That isn't saying its a bad show, or that its a moe show, it just happens to contain some moe characteristics.

Dabookerman said:
There is nothing sexualized ever about them. It's all pretty much down to earth.

Moe doesn't have to be inherently sexual, even though it very often is. Of course you may be arguing a different defintion of moe but then again it is an ill defined term.

Pandaman said:
moe doesn't have to be sexual, nobody thinks sakaki is moe because shes a stealth american, they think she's moe because shes quiet and kind and loves cute things. its the personality that makes moe, artstyle can only help.

Oh god Im agreeing with you, the world is ending soon.

Pandaman said:

I suppose it doesn't, but..

I dunno, the whole point about Sakaki is that she's meant to be presented as this tough girl, where really she just likes cute stuff.

I kinda give up, I think we all can agree that Azumanga and Yotsuba AS A SHOW are not Moe.

If they are, then by that definition Dudebro is as well.

We can argue that one or two of the characters are Moe. Yes. However correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Azumanga come out before the whole Moe phenomenon?

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
Well yeah, kind of, I think, maybe. I'll try to summarise the argument given in the essay although it might make my head explode.

Thanks for the clarification but I understood the moe concept. When I said, "I'm lost," I meant it as an acknowledgment to the ongoing confusion and difficulties of defining moe. The attacks in the CD article were annoying to read not because I'm a sympathizer for incest or anything but the tone read like a forum post rant I rather have not read in the first place.

Yet there is also the undercurrent of sexuality which may be expressed overtly or in more subtle ways - you could argue that these characters cotnain 'innocent' traits and that those get turned around by fans but in the language of Japanease images certain things are just coded to be sexual which are different to things that we may code to be sexual.

That's what bothers me deeply. The sexual undertones and the interpretation of sexual appeal from what I would consider as innocent traits. A culture gap I haven't yet dare asked to be explained.

Alex said:
Also, I really doubt most people mind children present, or cute things. You wouldn't even be in here discussing things if you did. It's just the way the landscape has changed on the shows that support those formats over the last ever-so-many years. More fetishy, more pandering, more airtime wasted on obnoxious fanservice instead of good comedy or dialogue.

I don't think anyone denies there's an excessive amount of moe, but I disagree with the prevalent view moe equals a bad anime and somehow more shows like Guyver is inherently better. There just needs to be more variety period.

anotheriori said:

Its uses in discrediting the quality of an anime has been a lazy way of thinking equivalent to "cool."

Dabookerman said:

It's the same problem I was about to discuss with Jexhius. That these innocent traits we associate these characters with might have an unintentional or implicit sexual undertone we fail to see perhaps because of a culture gap or such.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Dabookerman said:

I dunno, the whole point about Sakaki is that she's meant to be presented as this tough girl, where really she just likes cute stuff.

I kinda give up, I think we all can agree that Azumanga and Yotsuba AS A SHOW are not Moe.

We can argue that one or two of the characters are Moe. Yes. However correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Azumanga come out before the whole Moe phenomenon?

Just admit you you like moe.

Geneijin

Pandaman said:

Or think Tear in Tales of the Abyss.

Dabookerman said:
...NOT Moe!

This is also another good example why people shouldn't label the art style as moe, because it's subjective. You don't consider it to be moe but for someone else for example who's only used to detailed comic/graphic novel art styles could conceivably argue that it is moe. I guess one of the big problems is that there is alot of mediocre/bad shows and it's hard to filter them so people outright dismiss them when they perceive the art style to be moe it's the whole don't judge a book thing i suppose.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dabookerman said:

well, someone earlier said something about how the difference between haibanes moe elements and a moe show was that haibane had a plot and wasn't just unrelated character driven episodes.

so wouldn't that mean azumanga would be moe under that metric?

Jex

Geneijin said:
I meant it as an acknowledgment to the ongoing confusion and difficulties of defining moe. The attacks in the CD article were annoying to read not because I'm a sympathizer for incest or anything but the tone read like a forum post rant I rather have not read in the first place.

Yeah I get that you understood the general defintion, sorry if I came off as offensive. Firstly CD often sounds like an angry rant but they are generally making good points, even though these may conflict with their aggresive writting.

Also you were making the point about certain aesthetic appearances relating to moe which is explained in a seperate essay on moe.

Geneijin said:
That's what bothers me deeply. The sexual undertones and the interpretation of sexual appeal from what I would consider as innocent traits. A culture gap I haven't yet dare asked to be explained.

Which also helps expalin that culture gap

" The conflation of child-like innocence and adult desire has been employed for decades in Japanese pornography surrounding schoolgirls. In most cases, uniforms, the fetishized signifier of innocent status and character, remains in spite of, and even during, sexualization to provide a target for desire.[xxviii] One man I spoke with commented that archetypes of desire are formulated between age 12 and 14, and so it makes sense that youth in Japan surrounded by young girls in uniform would desire this; those who fixate on this archetype repeat it in media, in turn reinforcing the desire"

I mean the first hentai, cream lemon (1984), featured a little girl and her brother so...

Dabookerman said:

If only! See the above hentai and also http://www.colonydrop.com/index.php/2009/06/28/generic-proto-moe-1986-cartoons-cosmos?blog=1 not mention the moe merchandising of Eva. Although straight up 'moe shows' (Whatever that means) did come later.

Kandrick said:
Just admit you you like moe.

What is "Moe"?
How do you define "Moe"?
If you mean the big eyes, innocent nature and virginal status then "Moe" is nothing more than the warm and protective feelings interpreted by your heart.

Jex

Dabookerman said:
What is "Moe"?
How do you define "Moe"?
If you mean the big eyes, innocent nature and virginal status then "Moe" is nothing more than the warm and protective feelings interpreted by your heart.

You make it sound so beautiful.

Geneijin said:

It's the same problem I was about to discuss with Jexhius. That these innocent traits we associate these characters with might have an unintentional or implicit sexual undertone we fail to see perhaps because of a culture gap or such
From what I got out of that PHD paper posted earlier, the design goal of moe and is about distilling down traits to collect the most pure forms. Then basing characters from that, though like the saying goes people find great pleasure/perversion corrupting the pure.

These characters are idealized abstractions of qualities traits that their target audience desires, so as the paper stated it's goal is a character that the view can fall in love with essentially; of course outside the context of what is societal norms of love/courtship/family.

It's rather interesting however that the fantasy allows one to play both roles; the conflict between paternal/feminine/nurturing (passive) for the character as well as mating/masculine/abusing (aggressive). So I guess creating characters that border that line (aka pedobait) of innocence/sexual makes them for a lack of a better term 'interesting'? Maybe that explains the appeal of trap/reverse trap characters as it probably atleast artificially creates depth?

Pandaman said:
well, someone earlier said something about how the difference between haibanes moe elements and a moe show was that haibane had a plot and wasn't just unrelated character driven episodes.

so wouldn't that mean azumanga would be moe under that metric?
Azumanga has an episodic structure based around a comedic sketch format. Its characters are not built to be moe.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
Yeah I get that you understood the general defintion, sorry if I came off as offensive. Firstly CD often sounds like an angry rant but they are generally making good points, even though these may conflict with their aggresive writting.

Oh, you weren't offensive at all. I thought you misunderstood me as not knowing so I wanted to clarify I did. Didn't realize I came off as offended in that post.

And regarding CD, while I appreciate their points, I would prefer something resembling something between CD and Galbraith. Arguments presented in CD's fashion lowers its credibility to me because it's too informal for my liking.

Also you were making the point about certain aesthetic appearances relating to moe which is explained in a seperate essay on moe.

I poorly presented to you my confusion. I understood the moe concept as "characters or aspects of characters which elicit feelings or sympathy or adoration." What I was trying to express was that the additional meaning of nekomimi (not sure why this word is stuck in my head and its meaning) moe and whatever else threw me into confusion once they began expanding the definition of moe.

Dabookerman said:
What is "Moe"?
How do you define "Moe"?

To borrow CD's definition of moe I agree with, "characters or aspects of characters that elicits feeling(s) of sympahty and/or adoration."

"big eyes, innocent nature and virginal status" by definition of moe is one type of moe, but not exclusively thee one and only meaning of moe.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

My anime lexicon is years out of date, and I'm starting to think Ranma 1/2 was moe. Stop fucking with my mind, GAF.

Geneijin

anotheriori said:
It's rather interesting however that the fantasy allows one to play both roles; the conflict between paternal/feminine/nurturing (passive) for the character as well as mating/masculine/abusing (aggressive). So I guess creating characters that border that line (aka pedobait) of innocence/sexual makes them for a lack of a better term 'interesting'? Maybe that explains the appeal of trap/reverse trap characters as it probably atleast artificially creates depth?

I need to read that one or two more times before I feel comfortable in discussing it, but the trap paradigm resonates more as a means to influence more moe moments than as an artificial means to create depth. I wouldn't be surprised it's both though.

You just had to remind me of Ouran though. I always was fond of Flow's article named Beautiful Girls as Beautiful Boys; Transcultural Shoujo Subgenres and Gender Performance regarding Shoujo and Ouran's nature.

shintoki said:
Clannad and After Story are both terrible. Clannad is just another shitty Harem.

After Story on the other hand was very good
. It dropped the shitty harem. Dare I say...actually had a relationship. Goes through the steps and emotions. Does it extremely well. And all to drop the
Oh yes, it was all fake!
Fuck You KyoAni

Bolded part is contradicating.

Also if clannad was so terrible why did you finish watching it and then go onto after story? If I don't like an anime or thinks it's terrible..guess what? I stop watching it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dabookerman said:
What is "Moe"?
How do you define "Moe"?
this is the anime you know:
2llh7kj.jpg

317ilic.jpg

the anime that existed at the end of the twentieth century, it exists now only as exaggerated homages that we call nostalgia.

you've been living in a dreamworld, this is anime as it exists today:
9s8k7n.jpg

2638x9f.jpg

Welcome, to the season of the moe.

Jex

Geneijin said:
And regarding CD, while I appreciate their points, I would prefer something resembling something between CD and Galbraith. Arguments presented in CD's fashion lowers its credibility to me because it's too informal for my liking.

Yeah, I agree, although I guess CD styles itself in that way to attract some attention and partly to make the reading more interesting. Then again I haven't found that many places on the web with anywehre approaching good anime discussion so I do tend to go there regularly as sometimes there are articles there without any trace of rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom