• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moé/Lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Himuro said:
Arale in Dr. Slump is a little girl android but she's in no way sexualized and helps make the entire thing one big gag manga.

There's no loli/moe in DB or Dr Slump at all. There's fanservice, but it's always comedic.

Agreed. The presence of little girls does not always directly lead to sexualization or fan service. Arale, for instance is a very innocent character. However, she is not depicted in a way that might suggest that she's there to turn on creepy male viewers. Her naive nature is just funny, and the basis for much of the show's humor. There are dozens of similar characters in manga and anime these days, but instead of the brunt, youthful, forwardness that Arale offers, they usually are innocent in a more...uh, 'tsundere' fashion(look it up). This gives me the impression that there are hidden motivations in the creator's work, even in an otherwise supposedly innocent show.

Himuro said:
I really dislike the stipulation that stuff like Azumanga or Yotsuba& are in any way loli.

Azumanga is about growing up. It has nothing to do with how cute they are.

Hell, the show even features a pedophile teacher, making fun of the fan-base who likes such claptrap by painting him as total freaks.
wow, really? Yotsuba loli :D :D :D Yeah right. One of the best manga I'm not even close to finishing (vol. 4 lol). Daioh probably gets confused because of the teacher and that young smart girl (haven't seen it)

MCD said:
Hei beats up loli and living the dream.

no problem here.
Wait an anime where a person beats up lolis?

sort_of_want.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The last outstanding anime tv releases I can think of were Baccano! and Seirei no Moribito, both from 2007. The Baccano people have a new series now, as mentioned, and I'm definitely keeping an eye on that one. Seirei = Kenji Kamiyama, who was the awesome writer/director behind Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, and he followed Seirei up with Eden of the East, which was pretty good but just the setup for the three Eden anime films on the way, so waiting on those.

As for the rest of the notable people for me in the industry...

-Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Samurai Champloo) could probably bring us out of these shitty times single-handedly but remains inactive.

-Yasuhiro Takemoto

-Goro Taniguchi

-Masahiro Ando

Kyoufu said:
I gave up on anime a long time ago. :(

Dito. Except I still can enjoy some films like the Ghibli stuff etc.
I gave up on anime when the most shows went to shit. The 90s were great. Loved Cowboy Bebop.

Fireye

Moecross Frontier!

The moefication of series has killed whatever lingering interest I had in anime. I like Macross Frontier, but goddamn was it annoying at times. Give me more Utena plz.

I seriously need to get back to writing again. I'm missing too many of this stuff. I never watch a sub unless it's for comparative basis to a dub (VA/dialogue) or unless I'm writing a preview of a rumored localization. So obviously I'm not the most popular guy in most anime threads. :D

SmokyDave

I've only ever watched (and fucking loved) Initial D. After google image searching the terms 'Moé' and 'Lolicon', I'll be keeping it that way.

george_us

I've given up on the new stuff unless it either looks interesting or its by some of my favorite directors. Luckily there's a lot of 80s and 90s anime I can still catch up on if the need arises but I don't watch too much anime period these days. Last thing I watched all the way through was Full Metal Alchemist.

Reminds me of a time when I'd jump on any show with cute characters. It was when I watched Da Capo and learned that I didn't have to watch an anime just 'cos it was cute. Looking at this season's selections, it's all so slim. Everything looks the same and barely excites me at all.

Thank goodness anime isn't my only hobby.

Chorazin

I used to love the shit out of Anime a few years back, went to cons and stuff too. Slowly lost interest when everything coming out was either a harem comedy or a mecha show, and then it's all turned into a big pile of loli. I hardly even watch it anymore. Hell, the only one I watch regularly is FMA: Brotherhood.

Bring back mature anime like Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Kino's Journey, and Now and Then, Here and There.

Luckily, there is still great manga out there and it's so easy to find at any decent bookstore.

I'm hearing mixed thing on Brotherhood and it may be the reason [as] didn't pick it up. Who knows, but the anime fans were kinda surprised. The move completely pissed off the animetards.

Now and Then is on SyFy but I don't watch it, pretty apathetic towards animation in general right now not named Princess and The Frog/South Park/RC/The Boondocks. I know I'll watch an ep and suddenly I'll be watching everything again - Bleach/Naruto/eveerything. I've had stretches like this before, but never a 7-month stretch.

ChryZ

Slim pickens nowadays, but I still love the old stuff.

Also ... it's pretty easy to look back 20 years and say, anime was better back then. Good anime was always outnumbered by shitty stuff.

Fireye

The Frankman said:
I'm hearing mixed thing on Brotherhood and it may be the reason [as] didn't pick it up. Who knows, but the anime fans were kinda surprised. The move completely pissed off the animetards.

I presume you're talking about FMA:Brotherhood. I've been watching, and pretty thoroughly enjoyed it. Duck mentioned that there were some major backstory elements they missed or glossed over with regards to Hawkeye, but I'm liking it. I don't think FMA:B has a place in a Moe thread though...

Rorschach

Some of you people disgust me.

I went into that anime season thread and all I saw was this loli crap in the OP. I grandpasimpson.gif'd the hell out of there. I don't think I saw a single non-fan service show up there. It really has killed all interest for me. I don't really keep up with any of it anymore, but I do read manga.

7Th

The problem with moe isn't moe itself, the problem with moe is how safe and samey the moe style of visual design is. Why would anyone want to watch cartoons that are unappealing, bland and indistinguishable?

Rorschach said:
Some of you people disgust me.

I went into that anime season thread and all I saw was this loli crap in the OP. I grandpasimpson.gif'd the hell out of there. I don't think I saw a single non-fan service show up there. It really has killed all interest for me. I don't really keep up with any of it anymore, but I do read manga.
When JaMarcus Russell gets his own anime it will revolutionize Japan. GUARANTEED. Worked for Sammy Sosa!

EDIT: Holy crap the mere idea of it 500'd the server!

Chorazin

The Frankman said:

Well, it's free on Hulu and subtitled (new eps come out two weeks after they are out in Japan), so there's little reason to not to check out it. I dunno how many back episodes they have on there though.

Alucrid

Banned
The Frankman said:

Now and Then is on SyFy but I don't watch it, pretty apathetic towards animation in general right now not named Princess and The Frog/South Park/RC/The Boondocks. I know I'll watch an ep and suddenly I'll be watching everything again - Bleach/Naruto/eveerything. I've had stretches like this before, but never a 7-month stretch.

I watched some of it and I liked the original FMA's animation better.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I miss my robots (giant or otherwise). Until they come back I'll be content watching my very old tapes.

Fuck moe. Ruined a good thing.

Chorazin said:
Well, it's free on Hulu and subtitled (new eps come out two weeks after they are out in Japan), so there's little reason to not to check out it. I dunno how many back episodes they have on there though.
Ah, I'm reffering to as far back as September/October. The series that have done gangbusters on [as] like FMA and InuYasha have had sequels/continuations that were not automatically picked up, add to that [as] not going after Hurricane Chronicles (ugh Disney XD) and the animetards RAGED. There was a time [as] would pick up 2 licenses every year... they can't do that with the economy/haggling on cost with studios/declining amount of stuff they can get past Standards And Practices/competition.

Part of not getting totally disgusted by the trend is to not watch all the acceptable anime too soon. I'm still picking my way through some older series and a few that I only just now started. But yeah there is less and less new stuff that I have any interest in. I really don't like it, but it's worse is when someone tries to explain the difference - "they aren't little kids. they just look like it" great : (
This had reminded me to finish watching Hokuto no Ken.

Xater

GDGF said:
I miss my robots (giant or otherwise). Until they come back I'll be content watching my very old tapes.

Fuck moe. Ruined a good thing.

Gundam Unicorn is gonna save us all!

I very rarely watch anime. Just not a fan. My beef is when girls i know act like little children because they think it's "cute", as seen on some anime. This is common among, though probably not exclusive to, asian girls.

The Frankman said:

If you ignore like the first 13 or so eps of Brotherhood after having seen the original FMA, it's great. The pace is just perfect now and I can't even watch the original FMA without feeling bored. But it's good to have read the manga too. So sad they didn't elaborate more on Hawkeye's background. Made me cry almost reading that part.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. If people were buying giant robots and people getting decapitated, they'd still be making giant robots and decapitation.

It's the same reason that romantic comedies's have been being churned out since the Feudal era. They sell, and they don't require very much effort.

Geneijin

The slim pickings have been more noticeable for me the last 2 years, but I like what anime (had) represented when I first got interested in it so I'm not willing to give up on it. Just watching less than I did before mainly because of school though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
velvet_nitemare said:
I know about the japan kawaii desu yo thing. I've been on gaf long enough for that. I'm in Orange county/LA california, and these are college girls born and raised here. Annoys the shit outta me.
Well, without trying to deconstruct, I'd say the fact that many asian girls have a tendency to retain extremely youthful or even childlike appearances well in their 30s probably has something to do with that.

And for the record, I think that underaged schoolgirls are just as fetishized in America as in Japan, but we have different cultural standards as to what we can do (compare the Catholic school girl to the Sailor fuku).

faridmon

EviLore said:
I checked out the latest anime season thread and was pretty disgusted by the latest batch of shows. Now, most stuff each season always looks like crap and turns out to be crap, but the sheer amount of moe loli harem maid ecchi whatthefuckever is overwhelming, and it seems to get worse each season. It was just the followup series of the Baccano creators that got my attention in the winter lineup.

All of my internet anime comrades...hitokage, duckroll, teknopathetic, dead, etc....don't seem to be following much anymore either. Duckroll was saying the other day that he's disgusted by the trends too and has mostly given up on anime tv series. I mean, these are long-time hardcore fans we're talking about here, myself included, but the industry is moving too much towards trying to tickle the balls of smelly basement pedobears as best they can.
the winter season is awful. it has always been lie that and will always be. just wait for next season where Ookike Furakebutte, Black Lagoon S3, Bakuman among others will be shown and then you have the next Kaiji season and more. Just giving up Anime altogether beacause of one season is just silly.

harSon

Banned
Fortunately, as a former casual watcher of anime, I still have a pretty hefty stock of older anime I've yet to see to pick from. While I rarely watch anime now, I still take a look at the seasonal topics here on Neogaf in an attempt to spark my dying interests. Unfortunately 95% of it is always unappealing, a lot of which stems from reasons laid out within this thread.

Zaptruder

Banned
Isn't this a matter of economics?

Sure there may be plenty of traditional anime fans out there... but how many of them actually pay for that shit instead of feeling entitled and downloading the hell out of it?

Moe pays... the creepy bastards that buy that shit up (merchandise and all), unfortunately outspend the rest of us who like to watch the good stuff, but hardly pay for any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom