• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
xmknrlw.png

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddxplDVGw8

Airing October 4th, 2015 on TBS/MBS' Sunday 5pm slot
- Directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai
- Written by Mari Okada
- The main characters are Mikazuki Augus and Orga Itsuka
- Name of the Gundam is Gundam Barbatos
- This Gundam is a high drama story of a bunch of child soldier orphans who band together to find a place they can call home
- The main Gundam is a relic from the previous war which starts as a wreck, but will evolve and get stronger as they defeat more enemies and upgrade the parts bit by bit
- The Gundam shares the same base frame as all other Mobile Suits, and so can cannibalize parts, weapons, and armor as the story progresses.

Full Staff:
Director: Tatsuyuki Nagai
Series Composition: Mari Okada
Character Concept Design: Yu Ito
Character Design: Michinori Chiba
Mechanical Design: Naohiro Washio, Kanetake Ebikawa, Ippei Gyobu, Kenji Teraoka, Tamotsu Shinohara
Background Art: Kusanagi
Music: Masaru Yokoyama

Synopsis:
It is a world roughly three hundred years after the end of a great conflict known as the "Calamity War".

The Earth Sphere lost its previous system of government and a new world was built with a new ruling system. While a transient peace had come, the embers of a new conflict was born on Mars, far removed from Earth.

The main character, a young boy named Mikazuki Augus, belongs to the civilian security company Chryse Guard Security (CGS). He is tasked with guarding Cuderia Aina Bernstein, a young girl who is trying to make the Martian city of Chryse independent from the rule of one of Earth's powers.

However, the CGS comes under attack from the armed organization Gjallarhorn trying to nip the bud of insurrection, so Mikazuki and the children start withdrawing as a decoy. The leader of the boys, Orga Itsuka, takes advantage of this occasion to rise in revolt against the adults who oppressed them and stages a coup d'etat.

Mikazuki, who was entrusted to fend off the Gjallarhorn by Orga, takes up the fight by using the Gundam Barbatos, a mobile suit from the "Calamity War" that was utilized as a nuclear reactor by the CGS.

Characters:

MIKAZUKI AUGUS(center left)
A member of the Martian private security firm CGS. Calm and collected, with a head for the big picture, he’s undyingly loyal to his friends. The most experienced mobile weapon operator in CGS, he is assigned to pilot the Gundam Barbatos.

ORGA ITSUKA(center right)
A leader among the boys of CGS. Naturally gifted as a commander, and trusted implicitly by the others, he strives to live up to their admiration. He’s especially close to Mikazuki, who he’s known since avery young age; their bond is closer than most blood brothers. His coup within CGS is launched to give the boys a place where they won’t be betrayed anymore.

BISCUIT GRIFFON(second to the left)
A boy who takes on the role of strategic advisor to Orga. Mild-mannered, his favorite hobby is reading. He enlists in CGS in order to support his grandmother and younger twin sister. Having attended school, he iss literate—a rarity among the boys.

EUGENE SEVEN STARK(second to the right)
A boy member of CGS, and the leader of the boys until Orga joined. While physically and intellectually gifted, his impulsiveness renders him somewhat unlikable. Unhappy at having his position usurped by Orga, he begins to nurture a grudge.

AKIHIRO ALTLAND(far left)
The leader of a separate group of boys sold to CGS as “human debris”, he’s cold, withdrawn, and cliquish. Often takes on risky front-line missions. His piloting skills are second only to Mikazuki’s.

NORBA SHINO(far right)
A high-spirited boy member of CGS. His robust build makes him a natural at hand-to-hand combat.

Mechs:

Gundam Barbatos
One of several “Gundam” frames which fought in the CALAMITY WAR three centuries prior, this suit has long since been retired to use as a generator by CGS. During the raid by Gjallarhorn, the boys of CGS hastily press it back into service, piloted by Mikazuki. Long years of poor maintenance since the CALAMITY WAR have left it with weakened armor and unable to operate at its full potential.

Graze[to the right]
The newest mobile suit built by Gjallarhorn. Carries a range of loadouts depending on mission profile.

Dead

well not really...yet
That feel when an Okada written Gundam will probably be better than the last 10 years of mainline Gundam TV series

fertygo

Okada panic aside, her and Nagai is unexpected combo choice for Gundam show.. I'm excited.

I'll more panic with Okada name, if Nagai not directing.. I dig this pairing.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So on a scale of 1 - 10, how much is everyone expecting Barbatos to be overpowered by the end of the show?

that is one super thin waist, I wonder if that will be a problem for the model kit when it's released.

super thick eyebrows for main character

ridiculous hair on the other character.

all in all, I'm pretty excited for this, cool gundam design, nice artstyle for the characters.

Sandfox

Like I said in the other thread, I expect this series to do well based on what we know, but given the changes in the market I don't know what that is for Gundam anymore. I haven't seen any impressions from Japan yet but this seems to be hitting some good notes for the main audience on the surface.

We didn't even get to see Sei, those motherfuckers
I'm just going to hope he's in the OVA as an adult and probably be disappointed.

yami4ct

There better be, and introduced quickly as well. It would just be unfair if the Barbatos just beats down all those tank mechs.

There has to be more Gundam-like MS simply because the Gundam steals parts from other suits with the same frame to upgrade itself. If it can't get more powerful parts, it can't get stronger.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
There better be, and introduced quickly as well. It would just be unfair if the Barbatos just beats down all those tank mechs.

What I'm kinda hoping won't happen at least is the classic "original Gundam gets wrecked/given away and replaced by more OP Gundam".

These are posts from the other thread, but figured I would post in the fresher thread.

This stream is as bad as Duckroll's Exia legs.
Reference post? Did he try to mod the plastic with a lighter or something? Can't panel-line to save his life?

The head crest looks odd in that art to the point it's covering the eyes.
Even supposedly more-grounded UC designs are horrible at providing unobstructed camera sights. To name a few egregious examples:
- All of Unicorn's cameras (eyes plus main) in Unicorn mode
- The forehead crest of 0083's GM Custom (lol)
- Rear armor/backpacks blocking the rear camera of every other post-Zeta EFSF suit
- Double-zeta Gundam just goes, "fuck the main camera, I don't want it."

Edit: Iron-blooded is redundant

duckroll

Couldn't help it, had to edit more details into the OP too.

So, thinking more about this. It's a serious Gundam war story about child soldiers and Martian independence. When Aniplex said they wanted to make a "Gundam Killer" with Aldnoah Zero.... did Sunrise that their challenge seriously and respond with this? :D

yami4ct

Even supposedly more-grounded UC designs are horrible at providing unobstructed camera sights. To name a few egregious examples:
- All of Unicorn's cameras (eyes plus main) in Unicorn mode
- The forehead crest of 0083's GM Custom (lol)
- Rear armor/backpacks blocking the rear camera of every other post-Zeta EFSF suit
- Double-zeta Gundam just goes, "fuck the main camera, I don't want it."

I like to think every gundam post the panoramic cockpit of the MK II has cameras all over it that we just can't see. Makes so much more sense than the whole "Eyes as cameras" thing anyway. Coloring of the crest and eyes and shit is just there for design at that point.

stryke

So they're really going to go with that slim waist? Barbatos better start beating another MS to bulk that part up.

Looks good. Just recently got into Gundam and am watching Zeta as we speak. So this will be the first series that i'll be able to watch as it airs.

looking at the mech design again, the really thin waist kinda remind me of Zone of Enders. it look more like spines rather than stomach part of the body.

basically in gundam model kit terms, you can literally see the inner frame with no armor covering them. the legs is the same way, it's like they're missing the back half of the leg armor.

lonely

So, thinking more about this. It's a serious Gundam war story about child soldiers and Martian independence. When Aniplex said they wanted to make a "Gundam Killer" with Aldnoah Zero.... did Sunrise that their challenge seriously and respond with this? :D

They do both seem to have a Hime too.

yami4ct

Class warfare, martian independence, evil PMCs. I really dig the concept. I'm going to be sad if (when) this is inevitably as bad as the last half dozen Gundam shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom