• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Premise already sounds better than that trash.

Comments like these hurt me lol. In all honesty if you're just going by premise alone 00 seems like it would be one of the stronger ones.

Yep. I haven't seen Bandai get this behind a show since maybe AGE. They had a pretty significant Build Fighters line, but that was purely in the HG format (aside from a couple things released way later). I hope that confidence means they actually have faith in the show.

Well this basically the first actual series since Age.

duckroll

And then Season 2 came and ruined everything. I hate remembering how much potential 00 squandered.

The fact that this looks good to me now probably means it's going to be terrible and I should be prepared.

I'm so glad they didn't make a feature film after Season 2. If they did, it would probably have been even worse, and I would have paid 20 bucks to watch it at a special screening, only to be berated by friends after the screening for walking them into a terrible trap. Whew!

Jarmel

Banned
The older 'brother' is going to be dead before episode 13.

Well if it's a total 50 then he might make it to 25 before he bites the bullet.

Written by Mari Okada

9T1kgIr.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
I'd rather they kept the 26 episode schedule instead of going back to 50 but what can you do. :p
Split season is very bad for the storytelling in these shows IMO, these shows never end up feeling true to the original premise due to the time off allowing more time to rewrite and reconceptualize shit in order to further pander to the parts of the show that appeal to viewers the most.

I wish we could back to 50 episode series that stick the original concept, for better or for worse. I can't think of a single Split 25/25 episode show that I don't think was harmed by the decision.

If this is 50 straight, that's good news IMO

yami4ct

I'm so glad they didn't make a feature film after Season 2. If they did, it would probably have been even worse, and I would have paid 20 bucks to watch it at a special screening, only to be berated by friends after the screening for walking them into a terrible trap. Whew!

You mean that film they were going to make, but totally never existed. At least we got some cool mech art from that. Harute and Zabaya are pretty cool designs and Quan[T] is cool in a dumb way. Also, Rafael has giant arms on its head for some reason.

fertygo

The older 'brother' is going to be dead before episode 13.

Well if it's a total 50 then he might make it to 25 before he bites the bullet.

Dunno, seem look like the type that eventually gonna feel "the other field had greener grass"

Then gonna wield mask.

I like how the main character looks, he seems intense lol.

Yeah, I dunno what I think of his actual design yet but that's the most promising part about it in the poster.

So what I got from this is that they're going for Gurren Lagann.

-Focus on brotherly relationship between kid and older 'cool' male
-Abandoned mech picks up parts from enemy mechs
-Big war in the past
-Characters going on journey to free themselves from their opressors

Yeah.

I like the Gundam design pretty different

from the trailer I hope its close 08th MS team Gundam

I loved 08th MS but I think that was good for it's length not a full 50. Since we're seeing some similarities to Gurren Lagann, I'd be totally up for it starting out like that and then getting progressively bigger, Gurren Lagann (in more relatively realistic Gundam "realism") style as they upgrade toward space and then Earth.

Mesoian

He'll "die", but then at the beginning of the next season we'll get a mysterious masked rival on the other side.

Or his long lost twin brother will arrive out of no where and take his position, and he'll be better and funnier and it's like the original never died at all!

Fucking Gundam Beerfest.

Hagi

Split season is very bad for the storytelling in these shows IMO, these shows never end up feeling true to the original premise due to the time off allowing more time to rewrite and reconceptualize shit in order to further pander to the parts of the show that appeal to viewers the most.

I wish we could back to 50 episode series that stick the original concept, for better or for worse. I can't think of a single Split 25/25 episode show that I don't think was harmed by the decision.

If this is 50 straight, that's good news IMO

I'd rather they just ditch the long form 50 episodes altogether. Dragging things out over the course of 50 episodes is not something I care for these days, a much tighter 26 episodes would be more beneficial. Least then if it's terrible the experience is over quicker. :p

yami4ct

Or his long lost twin brother will arrive out of no where and take his position, and he'll be better and funnier and it's like the original never died at all!

Fucking Gundam Beerfest.

Lockon-II never happened. 00 totally never ruined the best character they had going.

Just looking at G-Reco, 26 episodes was clearly too limiting for it and crammed way too much. Well, I guess it just depends on how it is planned out overall, but I'd prefer more.

Wubby

Looks and sounds good. Really wish we got more GBF though.

We're getting it... OVA's announced and who knows about third season. Last year they did have two Gundam shows going at the same time. Possibly just wanted the focus of this announcement to be about the new show only.

duckroll

We're getting it... OVA's announced and who knows about third season. Last year they did have two Gundam shows going at the same time. Possibly just wanted the focus of this announcement to be about the new show only.

I think both directors are busy right now, so they're just doing OVAs on the side. If they really wanted they could probably get a third director to do a new series, but it's probably not a priority for this year.

chiimisu

Looks good!
A bit of offtop: I've been interested in Gundam series for a long time but never knew where to begin. What will you suggest. GAF? What should I check? (I'm not really into super long series, mind you)

yami4ct

Looks good!
A bit of offtop: I've been interested in Gundam series for a long time but never knew where to begin. What will you suggest. GAF? What should I check? (I'm not really into super long series, mind you)

If you can afford it, the absolute best place to start is The Origin manga.

Given you don't like time investments, I'd say 0080: War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team is the best bet.

orochi91

Hype.

That premise + mecha/character designs looks fabulous.

I just hope the OST and dialogue are up to par as well.

Need a Gundam Renaissance to go along with those Dragon Ball/Digimon/Sailormoon comebacks.

Hagi

26 just isn't really enough for something like mainline Gundam if the story is intended to be as expansive as previous main entries.

The story could still be expansive and told over 26 episodes. All 50 episodes does is let them have a looser narrative that drags forward to the big moments. But you're right it is the series standard. :p

Just looking at G-Reco, 26 episodes was clearly too limiting for it and crammed way too much. Well, I guess it just depends on how it is planned out overall, but I'd prefer more.

I don't think it's advisable to use G-Reco as a barometer for things like this. It probably would have been a mess with 50 episodes as well, just with Ninja Slayer levels of animation.

fertygo

Hype.

That premise + mecha/character designs looks fabulous.

I just hope the OST and dialogue are up to par as well.

Need a Gundam Renaissance to go along with those Dragon Ball/Digimon/Sailormoon comebacks.

Unlike those series Gundam never really go away.

Looks good!

There are three compilation movies that cover the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which I thought were quite good.

Meffer

I'm really liking this. I'm loving the design of the new Gundam along with that they find better parts throughout the show. I gotta get those build kits.

Wubby

I think both directors are busy right now, so they're just doing OVAs on the side. If they really wanted they could probably get a third director to do a new series, but it's probably not a priority for this year.

The OVA's could be loaded with new suits to keep the product line going until they do get around to a new season I wonder. GBF kits just sell like gangbusters they'd be crazy not to keep that going.

fertygo

So how big the chances this gonna simulcasted at Youtube?

GBF does, but G-Reco doesn't (added latter instead)which also TBS/MBS property like this one.

chiimisu

If you can afford it, the absolute best place to start is The Origin manga.

Given you don't like time investments, I'd say 0080: War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team is the best bet.

There are three compilation movies that cover the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which I thought were quite good.

Oh, thanks! It appears that 08th MS Team was already on my to-watch list, I'll probably start there.

Wubby

Just wait for the RG. We can break a leg together. :p

Haha nooo don't curse me! Wonder how long before we do see the RG... Speaking of that though and looking at the 1/100 kit I wonder how much of an inner frame this HG kit will have to support the 'upgrading'. The Origin Zaku is only HG but has a full inner frame (minus feet I guess anyway).

Hagi

Haha nooo don't curse me! Wonder how long before we do see the RG... Speaking of that though and looking at the 1/100 kit I wonder how much of an inner frame this HG kit will have to support the 'upgrading'. The Origin Zaku is only HG but has a full inner frame (minus feet I guess anyway).

Well the shoulders look like they are ready for pieces to be added. I imagine depending on the severity of the upgrade new pieces would be added to improve the frame else they just release an upgraded version. Looking forward to seeing how this design evolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom