• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Pretty much all of her work where she's the lead writer are pretty melodramatic. While it's definitely not unusual in anime or Asian entertainment in general, it's definitely the sort of tone she feels more comfortable writing. She has worked on -a ton- of stuff so there's really a huge range of genres out there. Stuff like Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha are coming of age dramas, Aquarion Evol and AKB0048 are mecha shows, Black Rock Shooter TV and Canaan are action, Blast of Tempest, Gosick, and Wandering Son are manga adaptations, The Fujiko spinoff for Lupin was a mystery thriller. But one aspect that runs through her body of work is that she likes to lean towards stuff with tragedy that feeds melodrama.

I see some people around the internet arguing that this type of thing doesn't fit Gundam, but I don't think that's the case.

The "kid" is the protag
I know, but he's my least favourite aspect shown so far. I think the silver haired dude is also being promoted as a main.

Either way I'm hoping that they eschew most of the pitfalls with those types of leads. Probably won't happen, but I'll still dream.

Saudades

Some character posters from Ami Ami:
31KTPsI.jpg
XzKRO8N.jpg

Rg8mQ1Z.jpg
Ojmfpmf.jpg

XcSgz5r.jpg
gCfj4XE.jpg

rlks69z.jpg
XJvQDCN.jpg

yj9VdM5.jpg
VkroWnW.jpg

dpPyBit.jpg
Everyone outside the main 6 on the official website is gonna die a horrible death aren't they?
And did they read it out loud when they name that fat kid "Biscuit Griffon"?

Slime

Banned
Most interesting Gundam series in some time. Getting a mix of 08th MS Team + Gundam X vibes from this. Optimistic.

Some character posters from Ami Ami:

Everyone outside the main 6 on the official website is gonna die a horrible death aren't they?
And did they read it out loud when they name that fat kid "Biscuit Griffon"?

Biscuit Griffon
Ride Mass

Yup, Gundam naming scheme in full effect. xD

duckroll

Chad Chaden is definitely the sort of name you give a character who you don't plan on using much in the story! Eugene Sevenstark on the other hand... I hope he's some sort of.... iron man.

Scavenger

The new Gundam reminds me of the Astray Out Frame. It still sucks that there is no Testamant or Out Frame 1/144 kit.

I didn't mind the melodrama stuff in the Lupin the Third Fujiko Mine spinoff, but that kind of stuff doesn't have much of a place in a Gundam series.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah reminds of a mix of Gurren lagann and 00. Seems interesting enough so will probably what it.

I'm almost certain this series will jump shark by the end, probably be a fun ride until then. Them pulling a Kamina seems too obvious but we'll see.

fertygo

I didn't mind the melodrama stuff in the Lupin the Third Fujiko Mine spinoff, but that kind of stuff doesn't have much of a place in a Gundam series.

Err.. Melodrama always in Gundam since like the beginning, its how you get countless slapping and people nekkid at space .gif

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Err.. Melodrama always in Gundam since like the beginning, its how you get countless slapping and people nekkid at space .gif

I sorta understand what he means with that example. Mine Fujiko was some trippy shit. After G-Reco though the only way is up.

that Orga is giving me villain vibe, kinda doubt he's having Kamina role.

he's gonna be the Griffith of Gundam series, or maybe the ali al- saachez in this series.

Ganondorfo

Gundam newbie over here: what are the best Gundam shows? I am thinking of 08th Ms team, Turn a Gundam, Gundam Wing + OVA, Seed and Unicorn. Am I missing some?

Saudades

Gundam newbie over here: what are the best Gundam shows? I am thinking of 08th Ms team, Turn a Gundam, Gundam Wing + OVA, Seed and Unicorn. Am I missing some?
The very best for me is 0080: War in the Pocket, and I heard Turn A is up there too. 00 Season 1 is pretty good (don't go any further tho). And Gundam Build Fighters is the most fun (don't watch Try).
Of your list I can recommend 08th MS & Unicorn as well. As to the others many people like them but they didn't do much for me.

Seishin

What an interesting turn of events.

Barbatos looks pretty cool.

The premise of the series is interesting too.

... though for some reason, despite not having Tomino as the director, and despite Tomino's last series not ending too badly in this regard, I'm expecting a lot of deaths?

I don't even know why.

Welp, consider me cautiously hype.

Does this mean we can get GBF suits in EXVS now that this is the new thing?

Amandeep

If you have the time then you should watch the entirety of the UC timeline, or at the very least the original MSG and Zeta. Zeta is brilliant. You already have a pretty good list though, barring seed.

duckroll

that Orga is giving me villain vibe, kinda doubt he's having Kamina role.

he's gonna be the Griffith of Gundam series, or maybe the ali al- saachez in this series.

I do get some Griffith vibes. Especially considering how they're both child soldiers from the same PMC, he's the charismatic leader, and he's the one who triggers the coup d'etat. That might make the dynamics interesting later on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I do get some Griffith vibes. Especially considering how they're both child soldiers from the same PMC, he's the charismatic leader, and he's the one who triggers the coup d'etat. That might make the dynamics interesting later on.

Interesting... That plot development is even more played out than Kamina.

cntr

Banned
Comments like these hurt me lol. In all honesty if you're just going by premise alone 00 seems like it would be one of the stronger ones.
And the season 1 of Gundam 00 is indeed really good. Most people dislike season 2, which throws the premise out of the window.

Wubby

oh damn got excited for an MG but that's only a 1/100 No Grade kit. Forgot that Bandai still made those.

It's not really the same as the old no grades you are thinking though... Those were more 1/100 HG kits like the new RE line. These do have frames. Look better than some of the older kits that carry the MG label but not as good as a 3.0.

Everything looks fantastic so far. I'm loving the fresh ideas.
Is there a war going on though? How will the orphans deal with it?

tensuke

Well people said G Reco would be great because of Tomino, and it...wasn't...so maybe this will be good because people are saying it'll be bad?

muteki

The full artwork for the Gundam gives off a different impression than the teaser artwork. I still like it, but it is quite different.

I'm not feeling the story premise at all. I feel like we have done this "war orphan" trope too often.

Glass Rebel

I actually like how this looks, the mech in particular. The characters look kinda weird at times, especially the eyes on Main Kid but oh well.

Sakura

Think I'll pass on this one. The concept doesn't sound very interesting, nor am I much of a fan of the writer.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't think so. Gundam 00 had a very solid premise when it was announced too. It was a "more serious" Gundam, set in the near future of the "real world" with actual politics and social issues. The main character was a child soldier who fought in the Middle East, before being recruited into Celestial Being. The show was billed as an armed intervention in the name of peace - with the Gundams striking out on issues like terrorism and dictatorships.

When the show was first announced, the characters introduced, and the Gundams revealed, the reaction was pretty positive and lots of people were excited!

Yeah, I too was excited before 00 came out... and even the first few episodes weren't bad. But 00 never really went anywhere. I didn't like any of the Gundam pilots and the only decent character (Graham) was underused in favor of stupid side characters. What a waste.

RGM79

She's a super prolific anime screenwriter who is particularly known of one specific thing - extreme melodrama regardless of genre or setting. Characters getting overly emotional, playing up "the feels", really hammy scenes of characters in extreme depression or catharsis. One way I would describe her writing would be... the tone of the typical Korean teledrama applied to pretty much every anime genre or trope there is.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to adjust my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom