• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So what I got from this is that they're going for Gurren Lagann.

-Focus on brotherly relationship between kid and older 'cool' male
-Abandoned mech picks up parts from enemy mechs
-Big war in the past
-Characters going on journey to free themselves from their opressors

- The Gundam shares the same base frame as all other Mobile Suits, and so can cannibalize parts, weapons, and armor as the story progresses.

"There will be twelve different model kits of this one suit"

The one you actually want is P-Bandai exclusive

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I know it's supposed to be a spear or lance but it looks like they saw an empty battleship and stuck a rod on its rear.

yami4ct

For their HG line, it looks like there releasing parts kits just like build fighters. I suspect almost every Barbatos form will be able to be made there.

In MG form, we'll be lucky to see more than one Barbatos.

fertygo

So what I got from this is that they're going for Gurren Lagann.

-Focus on brotherly relationship between kid and older 'cool' male
-Abandoned mech picks up parts from enemy mechs
-Big war in the past
-Characters going on journey to free themselves from their opressors

Even the protag look like Simon.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
CJ7P2TfVAAAQQN2.jpg

That didnt take too long lol. Hopefully the series does well enough as want a MG kit lol.

http://figsoku.net/blog-entry-11572.html

duckroll

Actually, I'm expecting that they might try something different this time. An expansion of something they've already tried with the more recent Build Fighters kits.

They will release the stock Barbatos model, but they won't release an upgraded kit until way later if there's a HUGE change. Instead, for those who want to build the versions of the kit as it progresses in the show, they will have to buy the kits for the enemy mechs as well, and use the parts on Barbatos, just like they do on the show. It would be a good way to sell kits which might otherwise be less popular.

The only negative I have about it so far is I'm not really sold of the design of the Gundam Barbartos. I don't like the way the head looks.

I'll watch it. I haven't watched an Gundam anime since 00

yami4ct

Actually, I'm expecting that they might try something different this time. An expansion of something they've already tried with the more recent Build Fighters kits.

They will release the stock Barbatos model, but they won't release an upgraded kit until way later if there's a HUGE change. Instead, for those who want to build the versions of the kit as it progresses in the show, they will have to buy the kits for the enemy mechs as well, and use the parts on Barbatos, just like they do on the show. It would be a good way to sell kits which might otherwise be less popular.

They basically confirmed this. During the merchandising section of the announcement, they said the HG would be able to use parts from other HG kits and they'd be doing upgrade part sets.

Hagi

Well I watched the HQ trailer and yeah I'm reasonably hyped for this. Really looking forward to seeing some of the other Gundams because the mechanical design is great.

Couldn't help it, had to edit more details into the OP too.

So, thinking more about this. It's a serious Gundam war story about child soldiers and Martian independence. When Aniplex said they wanted to make a "Gundam Killer" with Aldnoah Zero.... did Sunrise that their challenge seriously and respond with this? :D

How was this?

yami4ct

At least Bandai is making merchandising ahead of time and actually taking that part seriously. The release schedule for the HG G-Reco line (And the line itself sort of) was embarrassing.

duckroll

How was this?

Started out much more interesting than it ended. Second season was a huge disappointment, just like the last bunch of Gundam shows!

They basically confirmed this. During the merchandising section of the announcement, they said the HG would be able to use parts from other HG kits and they'd be doing upgrade part sets.

Cool! My stream was cutting out so I missed whole chunks. Lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I like how the main character looks, he seems intense lol.

Also Barbatos is a bad-ass name, and the fact he'll scavenge parts sounds like it'll be pretty neat. Hope it has some levity to it despite the premise---ZZ and Turn A are still my favorite Gundams because of that, with both also having some great dramatic moments.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I like how the main character looks, he seems intense lol.

Also Barbatos is a bad-ass name, and the fact he'll scavenge parts sounds like it'll be pretty neat. Hope it has some levity to it despite the premise---ZZ and Turn A are still my favorite Gundams because of that, with both also having some great dramatic moments.

Dude looks like hes gonna grow up to be the pilot of Getter Robo or something lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just watched the trailer...

Reminds me of how Trowa, despite looking thin as fuck in his turtleneck, was ripped as shit when he went shirtless in Endless Waltz. The new MC in this is pretty ripped looking, might give Ash Ketchum a run for his money.

yami4ct

Very cool info there.

The kit line is already shaping up to be one of the better mainline series we've seen in awhile if what they say is true. They're also doing a new NG 1/100 series that will use a full inner frame. It sounds like a really cool gimmick line if they support it right.

duckroll

The kit line is already shaping up to be one of the better mainline series we've seen in awhile if what they say is true. They're also doing a new NG 1/100 series that will use a full inner frame. It sounds like a really cool gimmick line if they support it right.

As far as tone and marketing goes, this is basically the next Gundam 00 type show they're trying to sell. Hope it turns out better! :p

I'm interested in the older protagonist.

I don't think he's much older... the main guy is just short. They're both teens and have known each other "since childhood" and are "closer than brothers" so there can't be a huge age gap.

Nice sword to go with that first weapon on those sample model kits.

Grunt suits look like those in early 00. The music reminds me of Gun X Sword.

Agreed.

Gundam looks pretty slick. Really happy with the design

Yeah, the Gundam looks promising, I quite like it at the moment knee jerk reaction wise. Aside from the open stomach area on each side though, not really digging that. Hopefully that will be one area where they get some armor upgrades.
The image on the site now showing it from both sides is pretty cool aside from the previously mentioned openings and those uncovered exposed wires on the legs on the back view.

The openings also come off smaller on the model kit and site image than in the key visual poster.

I like the mecha design, the character designs look pretty good aside from the lead, I'm mixed on his design at the moment, he even looks kind of different between the poster and his site image. I agree with the coloring and especially the army jackets they give off an AoT vibe. Could easily imagine sticking Manuever gear on that silver haired guy in the poster heh.

"A number of other highly individual characters appear, such as girls who fall in love with the hero"

LOL

yami4ct

As far as tone and marketing goes, this is basically the next Gundam 00 type show they're trying to sell. Hope it turns out better! :p

Yep. I haven't seen Bandai get this behind a show since maybe AGE. They had a pretty significant Build Fighters line, but that was purely in the HG format (aside from a couple things released way later). I hope that confidence means they actually have faith in the show.

Luigi87

I want to be optimistic. I am liking the animation... I just don't care for all the works I've watched written by Okada.

duckroll

Premise already sounds better than that trash.

I don't think so. Gundam 00 had a very solid premise when it was announced too. It was a "more serious" Gundam, set in the near future of the "real world" with actual politics and social issues. The main character was a child soldier who fought in the Middle East, before being recruited into Celestial Being. The show was billed as an armed intervention in the name of peace - with the Gundams striking out on issues like terrorism and dictatorships.

When the show was first announced, the characters introduced, and the Gundams revealed, the reaction was pretty positive and lots of people were excited!

Hagi

I don't think he's much older... the main guy is just short. They're both teens and have known each other "since childhood" and are "closer than brothers" so there can't be a huge age gap.

The little dude has some scars at the top of his spine that look like implants maybe that's why he so short? Some weird experiment that ended up stunting his growth or maybe he's just short.

yami4ct

I don't think so. Gundam 00 had a very solid premise when it was announced too. It was a "more serious" Gundam, set in the near future of the "real world" with actual politics and social issues. The main character was a child soldier who fought in the Middle East, before being recruited into Celestial Being. The show was billed as an armed intervention in the name of peace - with the Gundams striking out on issues like terrorism and dictatorships.

When the show was first announced, the characters introduced, and the Gundams revealed, the reaction was pretty positive and lots of people were excited!

And then Season 2 came and ruined everything. I hate remembering how much potential 00 squandered.

The fact that this looks good to me now probably means it's going to be terrible and I should be prepared.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea 00's premise is actually really good. It brings up a lot of contemporary issues and has a distinctive main character background.

And then Season 2 came and ruined everything. I hate remembering how much potential 00 squandered.

The fact that this looks good to me now probably means it's going to be terrible and I should be prepared.

Season 1 was better than season 2 but I still really enjoyed it, they made a great setup. Loved that show.

fertygo

Well everybody like it at some point, hopefully we got straight run to finish this time. No recent mech show seem benefited from "split" schedule (yeah we rarely get good mech show in anyway, but the rare good one not came from split schedule.
Season 1 was better than season 2 but I still really enjoyed it, they made a great setup. Loved that show.

I dig the S2 too, for all the fault at least the story still easy to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom