• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Haha nooo don't curse me! Wonder how long before we do see the RG... Speaking of that though and looking at the 1/100 kit I wonder how much of an inner frame this HG kit will have to support the 'upgrading'. The Origin Zaku is only HG but has a full inner frame (minus feet I guess anyway).

Unless this show is a massive SEED success super quickly, a RG is likely far out. Assuming the show even reaches a 00 level response, it'll likely not have a RG until the show is completely done.

The story could still be expansive and told over 26 episodes. All 50 episodes does is let them have a looser narrative that drags forward to the big moments. But you're right it is the series standard. :p

Haha. :p Also, not like I trust them not waste some screentime.

Yeah, I mean technically that's true that 26 is enough to do something expansive, we used to have more of those that achieved it in fact, but I also think it depends on the size of the important cast of characters.

Plus I just personally like the bigger feel of the rare 50 ep show like most Gundams and old days of those occasional shows like Eureka Seven, etc. :D

Stuff like Bebop and Gurren certainly maximized that ~26 ep length with totally different cast sizes, but like you said, given past Gundams I have to expect drawn out pacing of things (and I also like the occasional multi-episode more strategic battle), so with this many "moving parts" and their generally huge cast of characters needing screentime, I think 50 enables them to straddle that line better and atleast the best chance to make up for any inevitable wasted time, whereas 26 would probably lead to rushing and too many characters not getting enough screentime since we'll probably still get rushing toward the end even at 50 eps, since it always happens anyway.

tensuke

That preview was unexpectedly good. And After G Reco, I'm really excited for some fresh new Gundam. Barbatos looks like it's gonna be a heck of a model with that waist. Even worse than an MG unicornphenex. O.O

"There will be twelve different model kits of this one suit"

The one you actually want is P-Bandai exclusive

lol

yea

rip wallet

edit: ooh pics of the kit. the waist doesn't look as bad as i thought it would....no, wait, yes it does. urgh. loving the mechanical frame bits everywhere. the mg/rg will be sweet, no doubt.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks ok? Staff is kind of non-interesting, but not necessarily bad. Realistic grounded mech designs like 00 is a good thing.
So the main gundam is going to start off as a guntank until they find some legs to give it? That's cool I guess. We've never had a main gundam be a tank before.

The show will either be a pleasant surprise or trashy.

The animation of the mecha and tanks definitely has a lot of 00 feel in it. The way they move, the coloring and shading, the camera angles, etc. I like that.

Studio Kusanagi returning for background art probably contributes to that feel too.

Summary from over on Mechatalk (I'd probably replace the summary in the OP with this due to better translation):

It is a world roughly three hundred years after the end of a great conflict known as the "Calamity War".

The Earth Sphere lost its previous system of government and a new world was built with a new ruling system. While a transient peace had come, the embers of a new conflict was born on Mars, far removed from Earth.

The main character, a young boy named Mikazuki Augus, belongs to the civilian security company Chryse Guard Security (CGS). He is tasked with guarding Cuderia Aina Bernstein, a young girl who is trying to make the Martian city of Chryse independent from the rule of one of Earth's powers.

However, the CGS comes under attack from the armed organization Gjallarhorn trying to nip the bud of insurrection, so Mikazuki and the children start withdrawing as a decoy. The leader of the boys, Orga Itsuka, takes advantage of this occasion to rise in revolt against the adults who oppressed them and stages a coup d'etat.

Mikazuki, who was entrusted to fend off the Gjallarhorn by Orga, takes up the fight by using the Gundam Barbatos, a mobile suit from the "Calamity War" that was utilized as a nuclear reactor by the CGS.

Thanks!

The leader of the boys, Orga Itsuka, takes advantage of this occasion to rise in revolt against the adults who oppressed them and stages a coup d'etat.

Yup, hello Gurren Lagann combined with Gundam X post-war.

Edit: beaten ;)

tensuke

Whoa, they've got a lot more done than I'd figured.

07.jpg
The frame is pretty impressive, I really wanna add some copper/silver/gold and make it shine.

Interesting lance gun, channeling the JNX and Jahannam there. Plus the little tank guy! (。・ω・。)ノ♡

More JNX/Jahannam love.

Weapons...We're getting a lot of weapons. Hopefully they'll pull a 00R and just include a shit ton of weapons at some point, but you know you're gonna have to either wait for that or buy a bunch of kits separate. -_-

However, the CGS comes under attack from the armed organization Gjallarhorn
Just when I thought I was done with Destiny...

Would have been cool if one of those showed a covered torso for a sign that eventually one of the upgrades might put some armor there, then again I suppose I'd like some surprises. Though the back of the legs are unarmored with those cables hanging out too on the site image that shows the front and back view.

RGM79

Since I'm unfamiliar with recent shows (or even just mainstream anime), can someone explain the Mari Okada reaction thing? I take it that she has some kinda poor reputation as a writer?

I've looked up her list of works and I have never heard of 95% of them, so I don't know what she's known for doing or writing.

Jarmel

Banned
Since I'm unfamiliar with recent shows, can someone explain the Mari Okada reaction thing? I take it that she has some kinda poor reputation as a writer?

You can find out first-hand by watching Black Rock Shooter. Only 8 episodes long!

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I haven't enjoyed a Gundam anime since 00 so I'm hoping this one is good!

Looks promising.

Love the design and characters already. Please be better than G Recon. Wait.... I'm sure it will be better than G Recon. It is impossible to go lower than that.

Dambrosi

Banned
Art and premise remind me of Xabungle somewhat, especially the main character, who I'll call "Kid Jiron" from now on. Looking forward to eventual Landship reveal.

That's a really nice Gundam design, too. Very Zeta-like, even with the round shoulders. I was skeptical of the legs shown in the lineart, but the plamo convinced me. Lovely little green grunt, too. I loved Ebikawa's grunt designs in 00 S1, so it's no surprise.

You can find out first-hand by watching Black Rock Shooter. Only 8 episodes long!
Hey, I liked Black Rock Shooter...for what it was. That is, utterly batshit insane.

Jex

Well, I for one am thrilled to see the AnoHana duo making a gritty Gundam series. Edgy.

I see they've also got the 'fujoshi bait' angle worked out early, classic Sunrise.

With regards to the PV itself, it looks like your classic "these are all the scenes we've finished animating, lets jam them together' deal. So, er, not that impressive. At least it gives you a clear idea that combat is going to be more grounded than in other works.

Jex

Already look a lot better than ACE or Reconguista in G

I mean, if you're literally just talking about looks then no, I don't think it does. G Reco has beautiful mecha, character and world designs. It just happened to be complete nonsense.

I haven't watched anything Gundam related in over a decade(!!) but I think I'm gonna check this one out.

I'm interested in the older protagonist.
Preach. If they ditched the kid, I'd be totally fine with that. The rest of the characters look much better IMO.

fertygo

With regards to the PV itself, it looks like your classic "these are all the scenes we've finished animating, lets jam them together' deal. So, er, not that impressive. At least it gives you a clear idea that combat is going to be more grounded than in other works.
Eh, I'm seeing a lot more random trailer.. this one is more like eps 1 teaser and not any messy.

Wait, Nagai and Okada? Aren't they the Toradora! duo?

I mean, I love Toradora! but...
Why not, Nagai is pretty talented.. I'm excited both party willing to work out of scope.

Preach. If they ditched the kid, I'd be totally fine with that. The rest of the characters look much better IMO.
The "kid" is the protag

duckroll

Since I'm unfamiliar with recent shows (or even just mainstream anime), can someone explain the Mari Okada reaction thing? I take it that she has some kinda poor reputation as a writer?

I've looked up her list of works and I have never heard of 95% of them, so I don't know what she's known for doing or writing.

She's a super prolific anime screenwriter who is particularly known of one specific thing - extreme melodrama regardless of genre or setting. Characters getting overly emotional, playing up "the feels", really hammy scenes of characters in extreme depression or catharsis. One way I would describe her writing would be... the tone of the typical Korean teledrama applied to pretty much every anime genre or trope there is.

Amandeep

Character design isn't my favourite in the world but I'm digging the mech design. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Hope it doesn't turn into super robot masacre simulator 100 like too many gundams have done. The whole concept lends itself perfectly to guerilla warfare and close quarter combat so would be cool if they went for that :D come on sunrise, show me you've still got it! Also hope Okada isn't too Okada in this haha

- Directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai
- Written by Mari Okada
Oh goddamnit.

The "feels" crowd and DTL are going to eat this up.
Well, I for one am thrilled to see the AnoHana duo making a gritty Gundam series. Edgy.

I see they've also got the 'fujoshi bait' angle worked out early, classic Sunrise.

I'm sure excessive air battles and beam spam will work their way in eventually.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
She's a super prolific anime screenwriter who is particularly known of one specific thing - extreme melodrama regardless of genre or setting. Characters getting overly emotional, playing up "the feels", really hammy scenes of characters in extreme depression or catharsis. One way I would describe her writing would be... the tone of the typical Korean teledrama applied to pretty much every anime genre or trope there is.

oooohhhh

So you're saying that each time there will be an emotional scene, we will have a 360 camera pan with this song playing in the background!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LYjToGNKCQ

GET HYPE! :p

*scratches head*

That doesn't sound like a Mari Okada thing.

That sounds like an anime thing.

Sandfox

Sounds like a good formula for success to me. This is what they should've done instead of Age.

duckroll

I haven't watched that series and don't understand what they're talking about, but are you cherypicking scenes to prove a point or all her work are like this, lol.

Pretty much all of her work where she's the lead writer are pretty melodramatic. While it's definitely not unusual in anime or Asian entertainment in general, it's definitely the sort of tone she feels more comfortable writing. She has worked on -a ton- of stuff so there's really a huge range of genres out there. Stuff like Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha are coming of age dramas, Aquarion Evol and AKB0048 are mecha shows, Black Rock Shooter TV and Canaan are action, Blast of Tempest, Gosick, and Wandering Son are manga adaptations, The Fujiko spinoff for Lupin was a mystery thriller. But one aspect that runs through her body of work is that she likes to lean towards stuff with tragedy that feeds melodrama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom