• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Or his long lost twin brother will arrive out of no where and take his position, and he'll be better and funnier and it's like the original never died at all!

Fucking Gundam Beerfest.

At least he didn't got shot point blank in the head then come back even stronger.

Jex

Well people said G Reco would be great because of Tomino, and it...wasn't...so maybe this will be good because people are saying it'll be bad?

Anyone who told you that was a dirty, horrid little liar.

G-Reco was amazing because of Tomino, but it certainly wasn't great.

dramatis

No female characters? Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing really, when it comes to Gundam.

Edit:
The main character, a young boy named Mikazuki Augus, belongs to the civilian security company Chryse Guard Security (CGS). He is tasked with guarding Cuderia Aina Bernstein, a young girl who is trying to make the Martian city of Chryse independent from the rule of one of Earth's powers.
Ah, so there we have the Typical Gundam 'Peace' Princess character.

Shouta

I like the premise and I like the Barbatos. The character design is solid aside from Orga. Okada doe....

I really like the green unit, The Grays or whatever word it's supposed to be. If that's a grunt, that's a nice grunt.

I hope the interchangeable parts aren't as neat and tidy as they sound.

I liked the dirty real robot-ness of 08th MS team where they had to worry about changing filters and stuff breaking.

Like maybe if the shield melts they'd be stuck using a generic shield instead just "printing" another special gundam shield.

looks interesting. Not sure how I feel about the mc design or the gundam designs but certainly looks more grounded/easy to follow compared to reconguista

Yeah reminds of a mix of Gurren lagann and 00. Seems interesting enough so will probably what it.

I'm almost certain this series will jump shark by the end, probably be a fun ride until then. Them pulling a Kamina seems too obvious but we'll see.

Yeah.

Edit (oh yeah left that out this time, thanks massoluk): Plus Gundam X

No female characters? Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing really, when it comes to Gundam.

Edit:

Ah, so there we have the Typical Gundam 'Peace' Princess character.

It sticks out so much. Easily the one glaring disappointing thing about this so far. Otherwise I quite like the look and sound of this, even with our obviously valid skepticism towards the director and writer choices.

With all of the main character's group being male and the way they talked about the girls (that quote that the staff said in the live stream about them is just so pathetic, lol), I can't help but fully expect all the female characters in this to be support characters, the confirmed typical Gundam peace princess, or at best maybe one as a skilled female pilot villain in some arc. It seems unlikely we'll get one on the hero side as a notable pilot, let alone on the hero side as a second Gundam pilot. Sigh. I have to give credit to G-Reco in that it had Aida having a Gundam on the hero side for most of the show, even if the messy writing never developed her fighting skills despite all the combat in that show.

"A number of other highly individual characters appear, such as girls who fall in love with the hero"

This quote man...

It's a grunt from what looks like the 00 designer. Of course it's nice.

Yup, awesome stuff.

Meffer

The very best for me is 0080: War in the Pocket, and I heard Turn A is up there too. 00 Season 1 is pretty good (don't go any further tho). And Gundam Build Fighters is the most fun (don't watch Try).
Of your list I can recommend 08th MS & Unicorn as well. As to the others many people like them but they didn't do much for me.
Yeah I agree on Try, while I liked the designs of the Gundam, Try got worse throughout to the end.

Glass Rebel

Loved 00.

I won't lie, so did I, warts and all. Ep 23 still gives me the feels to this day.

Lockon! Lockon! Lockon!

and then the ending theme sets in

acFRUeG.png
acFRUeG.png
acFRUeG.png
acFRUeG.png
acFRUeG.png

cntr

Banned
The beginning of the PV says "Post Disaster 323". Does that mean it's set in the year 323 of a calendar system called "Post Disaster", à la "After War"?

If so, the so-mentioned disaster took place quite a while back!

Toxi

Banned
It sticks out so much. Easily the one glaring disappointing thing about this so far. Otherwise I quite like the look and sound of this, even with our obviously valid skepticism towards the director and writer choices.

With all of the main character's group being male and the way they talked about the girls (that quote that the staff said in the live stream about them is just so pathetic, lol), I can't help but fully expect all the female characters in this to be support characters, the confirmed typical Gundam peace princess, or at best maybe one as a skilled female pilot villain in some arc. It seems unlikely we'll get one on the hero side as a notable pilot, let alone on the hero side as a second Gundam pilot. Sigh. I have to give credit to G-Reco in that it had Aida having a Gundam on the hero side for most of the show, even if the messy writing never developed her fighting skills despite all the combat in that show.
One of the reasons why I enjoyed Turn A Gundam so much was the great female cast. Dianna, Kihel, Soichi, Lily, Poe, etc. are all unique and interesting and important to the going-ons. They rarely fit into the cliche girl stereotypes and have an active role in the story. So it's just so weird to see a show in 2015 will probably have a worse female cast than one from 1999.

duckroll

The beginning of the PV says "Post Disaster 323". Does that mean it's set in the year 323 of a calendar system called "Post Disaster", à la "After War"?

If so, the so-mentioned disaster took place quite a while back!

Yes, Post-Disaster is a calendar system. Over 300 years ago, there was some great Disaster War, which changed the world or something. The Gundam Barbatos is one of the relics from that war which was being used by the PMC group as a power reactor. When the PMC comes under sudden attack, they try to start it up as a last ditch option, and the MC starts piloting it. Apparently the true extent of the Gundam's abilities are being obscured by the long centuries of disuse and the degradation of it's armor. *cough*

duckroll

Gundam.info has put up a bunch of officially translated information on the show and merchandising. We can expect the terms and names used to be the official ones I think.

http://en.gundam.info/topics/white/46763?region=all&cat=&bigcat=

Story:
300 years after the CALAMITY WAR’s end.
The powers which ruled the Earth Sphere have been overthrown, giving way to new rulers of a new world, exhausted of battle. Meanwhile, far away on Mars, the sparks which threaten to ignite a new war have been struck...

Our protagonist MIKAZUKI AUGUS, a member of the private security firm CHRYSE Guard Security (CGS), takes on a mission as bodyguard of KUDELIA AINA BERNSTEIN, a young girl who agitates for CHRYSE’s independence from Earth. However, when the elite Gjallarhorn unit, charged with suppressing revolutionaries, raids CGS, its higher-ups deliberately use Mikazuki and the other boys as a decoy to cover their own retreat. Orga Itsuka, leader of the boys’ squad, takes this abandonment by the adults as motivation to launch a full-fledged coup d’état. With orders from Orga to hold back Gjallarhorn, Mikazuki sorties in CALAMITY WAR-era scrap that CGS had been using as a generator—the Gundam Barbatos...

Mechs:
Gundam Barbatos
One of several “Gundam” frames which fought in the CALAMITY WAR three centuries prior, this suit has long since been retired to use as a generator by CGS. During the raid by Gjallarhorn, the boys of CGS hastily press it back into service, piloted by Mikazuki. Long years of poor maintenance since the CALAMITY WAR have left it with weakened armor and unable to operate at its full potential.

Graze
The newest mobile suit built by Gjallarhorn. Carries a range of loadouts depending on mission profile.​

Characters:
MIKAZUKI AUGUS
A member of the Martian private security firm CGS. Calm and collected, with a head for the big picture, he’s undyingly loyal to his friends. The most experienced mobile weapon operator in CGS, he is assigned to pilot the Gundam Barbatos.

ORGA ITSUKA
A leader among the boys of CGS. Naturally gifted as a commander, and trusted implicitly by the others, he strives to live up to their admiration. He’s especially close to Mikazuki, who he’s known since avery young age; their bond is closer than most blood brothers. His coup within CGS is launched to give the boys a place where they won’t be betrayed anymore.

BISCUIT GRIFFON
A boy who takes on the role of strategic advisor to Orga. Mild-mannered, his favorite hobby is reading. He enlists in CGS in order to support his grandmother and younger twin sister. Having attended school, he iss literate—a rarity among the boys.

EUGENE SEVEN STARK
A boy member of CGS, and the leader of the boys until Orga joined. While physically and intellectually gifted, his impulsiveness renders him somewhat unlikable. Unhappy at having his position usurped by Orga, he begins to nurture a grudge.

AKIHIRO ALTLAND
The leader of a separate group of boys sold to CGS as “human debris”, he’s cold, withdrawn, and cliquish. Often takes on risky front-line missions. His piloting skills are second only to Mikazuki’s.

NORBA SHINO
A high-spirited boy member of CGS. His robust build makes him a natural at hand-to-hand combat.

Voror

I knew this typo would come up.

That was actually my first reaction too: "Wait, they're naming Gundams after Caribbean islands now?"

No it just autocorrected and I didn't notice till now.

I figured it was named after that demon of the same name which I believe is the source.

Toxi

Banned
One thing I do like is that Orga looks like a very threatening character with harsh features, yet he's the inspirational leader of these children fighting for freedom. I enjoy that sort of contrast in character design; hopefully they won't make him go nasty for no reason.

Voror

One thing I do like is that Orga looks like a very threatening character with harsh features, yet he's the inspirational leader of these children fighting for freedom. I enjoy that sort of contrast in character design; hopefully they won't make him go nasty for no reason.

Yeah, I had him picked out for a character that would turn villainous later one, but reading that bio of his makes me doubt that and it's nice to have that. Now I'm wondering about Eugene given the mention of a grudge.

Furyous

Is this the spiritual successor to Gundam 00? Bout time we got some renegade Gundam action. YES! I can't wait for this series to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom