• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobius Final Fantasy |OT| From the Makers of Final Fantasy XIII

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I put about 4 hours into the game so far since yesterday and I got to say I like what I'm playing so far.

-Maybe it could have been done better but the game being front loaded with Tutorials didn't really bother me.

-Running this game at max resolution and speed is a real battery killer and 25% of my battery is gone after 1 hour of continuous play on my Xperia Z5.

-The menus are strangely designed but overall I didn't have a hard time grasping where everything is soon enough.

-Some assets are clearly imported from FFXIV but I'm OK with that I like FFXIV

Overall though I could see myself sticking around to play this longer than I expected but I will probably only play 1-2 hours a day since I'm still playing Monster Hunter Generations in 3DS.

is there anything to re-roll in this game or should i just play it normally?

From what I read, the 3 star ability you summon in tutorial can be bought at the card shop anyways so maybe reroll isn't too important.

From what I've played, I'm not sure if I dig the combat for the long term. Feels like a puzzle game with an FF dressing. I'll play a bit longer, but will stick with Exvius.

neoemonk

Terra Battle, Record Keeper, Pokemon Go, and I haven't even touched BE. Now this.

Damn, when did mobile get so time consuming lol

I started playing this yesterday and I went, "another card game? Oh no. Why does every game have to be a card game"

But it's final fantasy so I kept playing. And playing. And playing lol.

Quonny

Clutch Regen in the Hunter job has saved my ass so many times. Free 700 HP heal whenever you get below like 30%.

MiTYH

I have no idea what I'm doing with the ability cards.

This is my reaction after finishing the tutorial. I have a general idea of attacking, bring down their red break gauge (with non-elemental strong abilities), then go nuts with damage (strong ones).

I think I understand what's going on, but damn it's a lot of info at once

linkent

So they remove the "daily gems" from this game after 14 days?
That certainly sux.
Dont think i will be playing if it really gone forever.
Just gonna try to login for the next 14 days and see how they handle this.

Anyway this is the message from the Director(credit to f2p_key from reddit for translation)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/comments/4w4di8/message_from_director_the_difference_between/

1: The change of Global ability card get , you can buy 3★ ability cards with Re-summon ticket, you'll never need to use gacha for a chance to get 3★ cards, this changes helps Global playrer to get a good build easier
2: Job Summon will never summon duplicate Jobs, that's why Job Summon will be more expensive than Japanese Version and you can also free from the nightmare of duplicate.
3: We change the Gem income from farm to constant gem income, so now you won't need to farm like no tmr to get Gems, instead you can just open the game and get Gems. Oh and remember you have to use them before 14 days expiration. When you try to spend Gems, the free gems will be used first.
4: Ability Card summon will still have duplicate but they are all MAX ability level so you don't need to spend time to level up your abilities, oh and if you are looking for some daily use ability, we suggest you to buy from Ability Shop
Director Yoshinori Kitase

Quonny

I have no idea what I'm doing with the ability cards.

2ijhxAf.png
Ability cards have a lot of nuance but once you break them down there are only 2-3 systems with them: Abilities, extra skills, and seedskills.

1. Abilities are just what the card does when you use them in battle. They are upgraded by fusing duplicates of the same card. This means for those cards that are only able to be summoned from the ability card ticket system you'll have to buy more.

2. Extra skills are like passives for your main character. They are the little icons underneath the ability window. If you tap and hold over them you can see what their requirements are. If they're deeply greyed out, this means you haven't completed the requirement for unlocking them and that you haven't used an extranger. An extranger is that little lightbulb looking card you can either buy or earn through playing. If the extra skill is kinda greyed out that means that you have met the requirement but haven't used an extranger. If they're fully lit, that means you have that extra skill unlocked. It seems that most cards don't need an extranger for the first skill and just need a requirement fulfilled, but the other extra skills do.

3. Skillseeds are basically how much skillseeds you earn from having that card equipped after a battle is over. You upgrade these by fusing cards of the same element into your card. This is how you earn the majority of your skillseeds after battle. If you never upgrade your skillseeds you're only earning like 10% skillseeds, so upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Feed those crappy 1* cards into your main cards.

Kinda a basic overview.

Quonny

So they remove the "daily gems" from this game after 14 days?
That certainly sux.
Dont think i will be playing if it really gone forever.
Just gonna try to login for the next 14 days and see how they handle this.

Anyway this is the message from the Director(credit to f2p_key from reddit for translation)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/comments/4w4di8/message_from_director_the_difference_between/

This is perhaps the most fair F2P I've seen. The complaints in that Reddit thread and ones like this are confusing.

Having played many, many gacha games, the fact that you can't get a duplicate job is almost unheard of. In other games you'd save for a month or so and get enough currency to make a pull only to have your dreams crushed because you got a duplicate character or weapon that is either worthless or makes you 0.5% stronger.

Here, spend $19 and you can do a guaranteed non-duplicate job pull for four months if you pull every two weeks (200 magicite gap), and that's not even including any free magicite that we'll likely get through events or whatever.

This is basically unheard of. Would it be nice if we kept the distiller currency forever? Sure. But magicite you spend money on won't vanish. You keep that forever.

Edit: my math was wrong, it's about 700 magicite gap.

This makes it a little more unfair for the pure F2P-ers, but it's still a good system if we get magicite from events. We'll know soon enough.

Uthred

So the Mobius gift box is 3000 magicite, but it gives you six summon cards which are equivalent to 3000 magicite for job summons, so you're basically getting the value back but with extra stuff on top? Not a big fan of "subscriptions" for mobile games but that seems like solid enough value. Then again by spending a bit more and using the distiller you could do as Quonny mentioned and pull more or less every two weeks. Decision, decisions.

Kyuur

So it seems like there isn't really a reason to have dupe cards in your deck right? I accidentally bought a second of the card I pulled from the 3* draw. I guess there's a small boost from the passive but otherwise...

Edit: Also if there's ever an OT and the subtitle isn't "Such dying" I will be disappointed.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So it seems they've already put out an update. 256 MB update made me restart my app. Anyone else?
It's less of an update and more of a you download as you play scenario.

So far you download the Installer from Google Play/iOS Store,than download the prologue/tutorial and after finishing that you download Chapter 1/2.

Golnei

I do think it's nice that they decided to respect the time of everyone who decided to uninstall the game during the tutorial by not forcing them to download even more data they won't use.

Getting crushed by that damn tree boss wyrmwatch. I think my limited understanding of the ability cards is coming to bear. How can I generate green orbs for defense if I cannot use green ability cards? If I go mage, I can generate green orbs for defense, but I cannot attack with earth ability cards. Is that just the nature of the situation, or am I missing something?

Golnei

Getting crushed by that damn tree boss wyrmwatch. I think my limited understanding of the ability cards is coming to bear. How can I generate green orbs for defense if I cannot use green ability cards? If I go mage, I can generate green orbs for defense, but I cannot attack with earth ability cards. Is that just the nature of the situation, or am I missing something?

I ended up using Warrior there - even if you can't give yourself wind resistance, a reasonable healing card should make up for it.

I have to admit, rough start out the way I'm starting to enjoy it somewhat. Don't think I'll take it seriously from a stamina standpoint though.

If you go ranger you can use wind and earth. I think this is a reason why some veterans suggest developing multiple jobs (that and job only content?)

Of course if you're like me I'm one crystal short being able to promote the ranger from their base class so they are really weak.

There is also always playing on hard so if you hit walls like this you can fall back by lowering the difficulty. I'm not sure hard is much harder, apparently it is better for getting high scores though.

Kouriozan

Wait, you can't farm Magicite? You're just given it? That's kinda of a good and bad thing.

I love grinding and yeah, it's pretty bad for me.
Do the dropped magicites also expire after 14 days in the Japanese version?

EDIT : I found my answer, dropped magicites in JP don't expire.
Don't know if I'll stick with this game like Brave Exvius and FFRK since they try everything they can to screw up F2P players.

Would people appreciate it if I made a nice big post about exactly how Ability Cards, the Element Gauge, and Resistances/Weaknesses work?

Z3M0G

Loving this game, the combat system is absolutely fantastic and these ability cards are much more satisfying than collecting actual Heroes in Record Keeper and the later FF mobile game. I dropped that one pretty quickly because it was just Record Keeper all over again.

This game uses ability cards as drops so it feels more like Warframe upgrade cards. Except here you also level them through use, must like Materia from FFVII. But you can also fuse with other cards to give a little extra XP and burn away duplicates.

The one thing I don't like however is that when I draw a rare ability card, it comes to you at MAX LEVEL. What's the point in that? Thanks for giving me this awesome card that I don't even want to use because I'd rather use my slots to level up other cards...

Is there something else I could be doing with these Max Level cards? Can I evolve them to the next rarity and level them some more perhaps?

Loving this game, the combat system is absolutely fantastic and these ability cards are much more satisfying than collecting actual Heroes in Record Keeper and the later FF mobile game. I dropped that one pretty quickly because it was just Record Keeper all over again.

This game uses ability cards as drops so it feels more like Warframe upgrade cards. Except here you also level them through use, must like Materia from FFVII. But you can also fuse with other cards to give a little extra XP and burn away duplicates.

The one thing I don't like however is that when I draw a rare ability card, it comes to you at MAX LEVEL. What's the point in that? Thanks for giving me this awesome card that I don't even want to use because I'd rather use my slots to level up other cards...

Is there something else I could be doing with these Max Level cards? Can I evolve them to the next rarity and level them some more perhaps?
The Max Level cards also come with all the skills on the card unlocked, IIRC, which make theme extremely good.
Additionally, when you complete chapters, Max Level per rarity of card increases

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, but Unchained is kind of crappy and kind of nasty about wanting/needing you to spend money on it (in comparison to other gacha games I've played, at least).

Kingdom Hearts bugs me every single time I open the app: "Hey! Wanna spend $14.99 on bullshit?"
It's especially annoying since Record Keeper and now Mobius, to a lesser extent, you might need to look around in menus for a minute before you even realize there's things to spend real money on.

Since Kingdom Hearts skews to a younger demographic, too, it feels super exploitative and scummy.

I thought better of the companies involved.

Dinjoralo

So, uh... What do the estranger cards do? Their descriptions say that they "Unlock one extra skill if a card meets the ability level requirement", but how do I use them for that?

thematic

how good is the story?
and is it like FFBE which at some point we need to wait for update to continue? (I stopped playing FFBE because of that waiting)

molnizzle

Someone needs to tell Square-Enix that nobody wants 2 hours of mandatory tutorial at the start of a mobile game. Holy shit.

Xion_Stellar

how good is the story?
and is it like FFBE which at some point we need to wait for update to continue? (I stopped playing FFBE because of that waiting)

The game came out back in June 2015 for Japan and Square-Enix still hasn't finished adding/updating the story over there while over here the game just launched with the first two chapters so yes you will inevitably be waiting for story updates.

thematic

The game came out back in June 2015 for Japan and Square-Enix still hasn't finished adding/updating the story over there while over here the game just launched with the first two chapters so yes you will inevitably be waiting for story updates.

alright thanks
I don't know when I'll be bored with the waiting
until then I'll just try to login everyday for bonus/gift

and hopefully the story will finish someday

I'm uhh...kind of addicted to this right now. Don't know if it will last, but I'm having that "One more battle. Wait, one more battle. Wait.." syndrome at the moment.

how good is the story?

Not very far yet, but garbage so far. Or at least the dialogue is.

Riddler

Using a Ranger for the fight is best, but using other classes remember to goto Ability Shop and buying cards you need also going to the "grinding area" to level them up.

Razmos

The plot hasn't progressed very far yet, but certain plot points are really catching my attention, like
the portrait of Sarah in the castle being "very old" and smelling foul, Wol saying that certain things feel familiar, the identity of Vox, the absurdly specific prophecy...

Judging from the title Mobius I'm assuming the journey is an infinite loop that has been happening for a long time ala Dissidia and this is the loop that breaks the cycle due to the intervention of the player

Dreavus

Played quite a bit today, unlocked White mage and I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of chapter 2.

I am really loving the extra combat action that the job is giving me (and I think the ultimate attack is better too), but I am not liking how Earth-element mage cards seem to.... well, not exist. Can't find one anywhere. The fact that the class changed elements (wind --> earth) kind of threw me off.

I am stuck using a sub par warrior card for earth so that I am not overloaded with useless orbs. I can only assume that the next set of cards might have an earth spell in there somewhere.

EDIT: So the only way to actually upgrade the damage on those rare (3*) ability cards from the ability shop is to buy more copies of them? I'm starting to think I should have saved my tickets and just bought a maxed out one.

So when the help section says augmenting cards that drop from enemies gives enemies a chance to drop higher rarity versions of that card do I have to be taking the card into battle or is this a permanent passive of sorts?

Uthred

Finding it hard to resist pulling on the Job gacha even if these jobs are supposed to be a bit weak, gacha gonna gacha

Aw man, I thought all the ability cards in the Shop already had their abilities leveled up. I guess I got lucky with the first one I picked (Succubus). Just bought Cait Sith and it seems I have to buy dupes in order to upgrade it.

Aw man, I thought all the ability cards in the Shop already had their abilities leveled up. I guess I got lucky with the first one I picked (Succubus). Just bought Cait Sith and it seems I have to buy dupes in order to upgrade it.
Isn't Succubus one of 3 cards that are already at max ability level ?
(other 2 being Fenrir and Salamander)

Anyway, you can click on that little box under the card lineup (says Max Boost or something) before purchase if you want to buy it already fully boosted.
It's 36 ability tickets instead of 9.

Falk

that puzzling face
I am really loving the extra combat action that the job is giving me (and I think the ultimate attack is better too), but I am not liking how Earth-element mage cards seem to.... well, not exist. Can't find one anywhere. The fact that the class changed elements (wind --> earth) kind of threw me off.

You mean the gacha white mage job, right? I'm just going with an Earth Sword onion knight to help break enemies.

p.s. I'm glad Squeenix finally got the memo that in JRPGs, people generally dislike annoying companions that tell the MC what to do but are otherwise generally useless so they put 3 of them in Chapter 1.

Anyway, you can click on that little box under the card lineup (says Max Boost or something) before purchase if you want to buy it already fully boosted.
It's 36 ability tickets instead of 9.

Correct, those 3 cards come with Ability maxed out at 6/6 but can't evolve. Their Seed level still starts at 1. Other cards have Ability and Seed both starting at 1. These are all 3 tickets each.

Checking "MAX BOOST" will give you maxed Ability and Seed level at a much higher ticket premium. For those aforementioned 3, it only costs 9 since it's giving you the seed boost. For the others it costs 38 which I believe is more or less comparable how much you'd use just buying dupes to max out the ability. Slightly less.

I feel the best bet is to get them non-maxed-boost, level the ones you intend to use with seed cactuars so that you're continually getting seeds to boost your jobs, and then slowly work on the ability level via farming droppable cards and evolving them.

(e.g. if you ticket the 3* Blizzara card, farm enemies with "Lesser Blizzara", evolve them to 3* so it becomes Blizzara, then feed those. Long, tedious process, requires clearing the main story for feature unlocks)

Anyway, you can click on that little box under the card lineup (says Max Boost or something) before purchase if you want to buy it already fully boosted. It's 36 ability tickets instead of 9.

Yeah that's what I meant to say - I bought Succubus earlier today so it gave me the impression that every purchaseable card was maxed as well. I was wrong lol

Thanks for the tip though, I didn't see notice the Boost box when I was buying it.

Golnei

p.s. I'm glad Squeenix finally got the memo that in JRPGs, people generally dislike annoying companions that tell the MC what to do but are otherwise generally useless so they put 3 of them in Chapter 1.

I also like that they managed an escalating order of irritation - from Vox coming off like Genesis without a body, Mog valiantly trying to one-up XIII-2's efforts to create the worst Moogle in the series, Sarah's completely insufferable voice acting, and finally a totally inconsequential fanservice fairy; because at that point the audience should be beyond caring.

Falk

that puzzling face
Does this game make a horrific ripping sound when phone goes to sleep for anyone else?

iPhone 6 here.

Top Bottom