• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mode7 vs Raster racers

There are surely plenty of exceptions in raster-engine racers, of course, but I feel like it's telling that multiplayer was rarely a major factor in the history of raster-engine racing games and yet was so natural in Mario Kart (and so clearly missing in F-Zero, even in 1990 before we knew 2p Mode7 could work.

There was something posted about that not long ago, that MK started as an attempt of a multiplayer F-Zero.
SNES could only hold a map of 128x128 tiles in vram for that mode, which you can split up vertically for any number of players (Street Racer did 4 player).
Games with bigger tracks like Fzero are different because they use the tile map like a window into a much larger map, like a lot of regular 2D nes/snes games do, and because of that you can't view the track from different parts of the track at the same time, which is kind of a problem if you want multiplayer :)

When I say much larger map:
http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/F-Zero/F-ZeroMap01MuteCity1.html
vs
http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioKart/SuperMarioKartMapMushroomCup1.html

low-G

Home hardware never really had the power to make really excellent Outrun style racers.

I don't think anyone would have picked F-Zero over arcade Outrun...

This is one genre of games that has benefited completely by better tech. Hard to go back even to the classics I loved...

Celine

There are some arcade games that use something like Mode 7.

F-1 Grand Prix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrNwT9PN6o

Cameltry (not a racing game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bssMf8f8tek
Both games were ported to SNES with results similar to the arcade counterpart.
Super Scaler games on the other hand could not be converted faithfully to 16 bit consoles because aside from the raster effect for the road, the real trick was that those arcade board could throw a big number of scaled sprites to the screen quickly which composed every object visible on the course (and in some cases the road itself was composed of scaled sprites).
When consoles caught up in power it was too late cause everybody was targeting the new paradigm shift (polygonal graphics).

petran79

Banned
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the different business model behind arcade and console and the consequent difference in the cost of hardware and refresh of the technology.
It was only caused by the "more demanding and older audience vs the SNES kids".

While there was a difference in hardware and business model, SNES never targeted the same audience like in the arcades. Slower (also due to inferior hardware) and easier games overall (no true arcade stick, drive wheel or flight stick since everything adapted for gamepad) , plus censorship and less violence.

You adapt and convert the whole game based on this.

LordRaptor

While there was a difference in hardware and business model, SNES never targeted the same audience like in the arcades. Slower (also due to inferior hardware) and easier games overall (no true arcade stick, drive wheel or flight stick since everything adapted for gamepad) , plus censorship and less violence. .

You're talking bollocks tbh.
SF2 was one of the biggest hits on the SNES, and
51Ez255vEUL.jpg

this existed.

Games weren't "easier" in as much as they weren't "unfair" because you already have the players money, you don't need to bullshit them out of nowhere for another quarter.

lazygecko

You're talking bollocks tbh.
SF2 was one of the biggest hits on the SNES, and
51Ez255vEUL.jpg

this existed.

Games weren't "easier" in as much as they weren't "unfair" because you already have the players money, you don't need to bullshit them out of nowhere for another quarter.

There's a bit of truth in there, really. SNES cultivated the start of a paradigm shift in home console gaming, leaving behind the idea of having an arcade in your home and going more for long-form experience type gaming. The trend grew with each console generation culminating in the AAA cinematic setpiece zeitgeist we have today.

Also, towards the latter half of the 16-bit generation publishers were actually starting to worry about game rentals to the point where they would deliberately design games to be more difficult just so people couldn't beat a game in a single rental.

LordRaptor

There's a bit of truth in there, really. SNES cultivated the start of a paradigm shift in home console gaming, leaving behind the idea of having an arcade in your home and going more for long-form experience type gaming.

I'd honestly argue that that transition had already occurred by the time the SNES showed up and had already begun on the NES, SMS and TG16, which all explored 'long form' titles in addition to arcade style titles, but the 16 bit era was probably where that paradigm was best realised.

Raster was the superior technology. Road Rash was awesome.

Yeah. After reading the OP, I was pretty much going to site Road Rash as evidence that raster racers are better.

When I think of 2D racers that I really loved, strictly racing games, I always think of Top Gear, Road Rash, Outrun, etc. It's always raster-based.

The only Mode 7 racing games I can remember somewhat competing would be the GT Advance series on the GBA, though that's likely because despite having a rotating plane for the track, it had more modern and sim-like racing physics to the cars.

petran79

Banned
I'd honestly argue that that transition had already occurred by the time the SNES showed up and had already begun on the NES, SMS and TG16, which all explored 'long form' titles in addition to arcade style titles, but the 16 bit era was probably where that paradigm was best realised.

Arcade racing games are an exception though. Even today the authentic and most difficult experience is to play them on an original cab.

Same for games like Silent Scope or rail shooters.

But there are Mode 7 games with bumps, like one of the F1 games. Forgive me I can't remember which one.

And raster games that change angle, like Power Drift.

Unicorn

Mode7 all the way, flatness be damned. More. Often them. Not raster provided greater sense of. Speed, but Mode7 was just so fresh and freeing.

v1oz

I wonder why no one used the Super FX chip to do 2D sprite scaling. It would have been awesome for an Outrun style racing game. Or even an SNK style fighting games with zoom in zoom out character scaling. I'm sure the FX chip would be even quicker st moving sprites around the screen than polygons.

CamHostage

There was something posted about that not long ago, that MK started as an attempt of a multiplayer F-Zero. SNES could only hold a map of 128x128 tiles in vram for that mode, which you can split up vertically for any number of players (Street Racer did 4 player).

Oh sure, I'm just saying, even when F-Zero hit, reviewers at the time were saying, "Too bad, no multiplayer". I think we could see it being a perfect game engine for multiplayer, and everybody fell in love with MK thanks in no small part to its 2P. Whereas we went through Pole Position and Rad Racer and Hang-On and Outrun and Rad Mobile and plenty more with no multiplayer. Didn't ask, didn't get.

Part of this was that the arcade cabs were so deluxe and enveloping that there was no room for split-screen (and I'm not sure how well cabinet link-play worked back then, though there were dual-monitor games that had connected hardware in the '90s.) But another part was that they were such solitary racing experiences that even though they had opponent vehicles, it still was more about you turning hot laps at the fastest split time than it was battling for position and daring to take a treacherous corner in order to take the lead.

In the vast majority of raster-road engine racers, you raced the clock, not the opponents.

In fact, I'm not sure multiplayer really entered into the concept until portable games came along. (Might anybody know if that's incorrect? I'm not finding 80s or mid-90s arcade scrolling racing games that had MP.) You had all this crazy hardware in arcades, but it took meager little portables to make multiplayer a thing since they had the benefit of individual screens. There was the 4P Game Boy Game F-1 Race, and there was a Lynx game Checkered Flag that did 6p, both were good multiplayer experiences that took full advantage of each player being on their own unit, and I notice also that the collision mechanics were geared towards more aggressive/aware driving (F1 could have used a more distant camera to see players coming up on you; Checkered Flag had rearviews, which would seem handy.)

Designing for multiplayer and AI challenges game designers to think of the bigger picture of their game, and I wonder how much attention was paid to the full field of cars on the track before multiplayer made them think that way?

250px-F-1_Race_Cover.jpg

There were titles like PitStop 2 and Road Rash II and Top Gear and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge / Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (thx for the heads-ups, all down below!) that did split-screen racing (probably there's more home console and PC/Amiga split-screen racers than I'm thinking, it's just all the killer arcade classics that are coming to mind first,) but they're more rare than should be for a genre seemingly all about defeating opponents to be first at the finish.

lazygecko

I wonder why no one used the Super FX chip to do 2D sprite scaling. It would have been awesome for an Outrun style racing game. Or even an SNK style fighting games with zoom in zoom out character scaling. I'm sure the FX chip would be even quicker st moving sprites around the screen than polygons.

Also surprised there no scaler racing game for the Neo Geo. You'd think that's exactly the kind of game the system was originally made for.

Oh sure, I'm just saying, even when F-Zero hit, reviewers at the time were saying, "Too bad, no multiplayer". I think we could see it being a perfect game engine for multiplayer, and everybody fell in love with MK thanks in no small part to its 2P. Whereas we went through Pole Position and Rad Racer and Hang-On and Outrun and Rad Mobile and plenty more with no multiplayer. Didn't ask, didn't get.

Part of this was that the arcade cabs were so deluxe and enveloping that there was no room for split-screen (and I'm not sure how well cabinet link-play worked back then, though there were dual-monitor games that had connected hardware in the '90s.) But another part was that they were such solitary racing experiences that even though they had opponent vehicles, it still was more about you turning hot laps at the fastest split time than it was battling for position and daring to take a treacherous corner in order to take the lead.

In the vast majority of raster-engine racers, you raced the clock, not the opponents.

In fact, I'm not sure multiplayer really entered into the concept until portable games came along, might anybody know if that's incorrect? There was the 4P Game Boy Game F-1 Race, and there was a Lynx game Checkered Flag that did 6p, both were good multiplayer experiences that took full advantage of each player having their own screen, and also the collision mechanics were geared towards more aggressive/aware driving (F1 could have used a more distant camera to see players coming up on you; Checkered Flag had rearviews, which would seem necessary.

250px-F-1_Race_Cover.jpg

Top Gear had split screen multiplayer.

Maybe it's like the PS1, developers want to focus on the fancy new 3D rather than see how 2D can be enhanced with the new technology

In fact, I'm not sure multiplayer really entered into the concept until portable games came along, might anybody know if that's incorrect? There was the 4P Game Boy Game F-1 Race, and there was a Lynx game Checkered Flag that did 6p, both were good multiplayer experiences that took full advantage of each player having their own screen, and also the collision mechanics were geared towards more aggressive/aware driving (F1 could have used a more distant camera to see players coming up on you; Checkered Flag had rearviews, which would seem necessary.

250px-F-1_Race_Cover.jpg

Can't think of others off the top of my head, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge was the same year as that.

LordRaptor

Arcade racing games are an exception though. Even today the authentic and most difficult experience is to play them on an original cab.

Same for games like Silent Scope or rail shooters.

Its a pretty underwhelming point to say "arcade like games are most authentic in the arcade" when racing games diverged into 'stylistic' versus 'simulated' and the majority of the playerbase for each fork are on home devices with 'longform' elements such as collecting cars to add to a collection not in 'put in more money to extend timer' arcade machines.

Same with shooting games - people aren't playing "insert coin to add more health" titles in an arcade. They are playing much more intricate longform experiences at home.

Maybe it's like the PS1, developers want to focus on the fancy new 3D rather than see how 2D can be enhanced with the new technology

The Super FX chip was both more costly and took longer to develop for. Cartridges tended to be priced higher than common MSRP. Judging by more recent issues in re-releasing games that used it, there may have also been problems with its proprietary nature - releasing a Super FX chip game left you beholden to Argonaut and Mattel in some way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But there are Mode 7 games with bumps, like one of the F1 games. Forgive me I can't remember which one.

And raster games that change angle, like Power Drift.

Are there mode 7 games with bumps? Maybe they used some fancy interrupt or 'copper effects' (referencing Amiga) to fiddle with the mode 7 play field on scanlines?

I think powererift isn’t really a raster racer - they replaced the entire road with sprites so I don’t think the usual restrictions applied

CamHostage

The Super FX chip was both more costly and took longer to develop for. Cartridges tended to be priced higher than common MSRP. Judging by more recent issues in re-releasing games that used it, there may have also been problems with its proprietary nature - releasing a Super FX chip game left you beholden to Argonaut and Mattel in some way.

Also, it had such a short life and there were Super FX games that died on the vine, so we may not know what was tried with it. Plus Star Fox gave everybody such pop-eyes for polygons that every game immediately jumped to it, and at least for consumers, it wasn't until Yoshi's Island that anybody went, "Huh, it can do that too?"

I think it's better to look at GBA and how that little guy tried so many different ways of making racing games happen (Mode7, raster roads, DOOM-style cooridor engine, fully polygonal), Super FX just was too short a blip in time and too costly and too pivotal at a critical point in game technology history in advancing a specific concept of 3D that there's just not a full range of story to tell of it.

I think powererift isn’t really a raster racer - they replaced the entire road with sprites so I don’t think the usual restrictions applied

Yeah, it's funny when we hinged a subgenre on one technical term, and then that term doesn't apply to games that still apply. Like how "Mode7" was used to describe GBA and PS1 bg scale/rotation effects when the term was specific to the SNES hardware.

If we're just talking about which types of games are more fun or cool to look at than others, though (which is the OP's main point), I think Power Drift applies more to raster-road-type games than it does any other or that it cannot fit any category.

Datschge said:
I mean turning to drive the other way. I'm not aware of any raster racer where the developer bothered implementing that even if it is theoretically possible.
BC Racers comes to mind. I know it's listed in the OP under the same category as Mode 7, probably because the game resembles SNES games like Mario Kart, but the technology is full scaling like Sega arcade hardware.

In fact, I'm not sure multiplayer really entered into the concept until portable games came along. (Might anybody know if that's incorrect? I'm not finding 80s or mid-90s arcade scrolling racing games that had MP.)
I was playing splitscreen Pitstop II (1984) on C64 back in the day.

Wasn't the FX chip used in Yoshi's Island and Stunt Race FX for scaling, rotating, and distorting sprites as well as handling polygon work? I think it was just too late for anyone to add in considering the primary draw was filled polygon worlds that were meant to replace older methods of 3D effect.
Also surprised there no scaler racing game for the Neo Geo. You'd think that's exactly the kind of game the system was originally made for.

Yeah, Super Spy was one of the few heavy uses of it's capability outside of SS. Wasn't there some limitation that NG hardware scaling function only goes up to original size of an object affect this to a degree? Might mean not enough memory to hold and quickly access a larger variety of visuals for something competitive with a System 32 racer of the time, but haven't a clue about the limitations of the NG for that use.

I've always wondered what a Super Mario Kart 2 using FX 2 would have been like. Probably a lot like Super Circuit only better looking.

Hmm, this is interesting to think about, now that you've put the idea in my head. Can the SNES use both the SuperFX chip and Mode7 at the same time? SMK was a much "smoother" game than the 20fps Star Fox, and it arguably looked better too.

Futaleufu

For the same reason that the Atari Jaguar barely had any games that could showcase its true 2D potential (exceptions being Super Burnout and Rayman): because 3D was the future, the next big thing, and everybody wanted to dip in first.

AmyS

Absolutely no lies detected. Super Monaco GP arcade is an absolutely beautiful game. No game console or computer at the time were able to throw sprites around like Sega's arcade hardware.

However you can see in the video, the MD version still is able to handle smooth line scrolling while having multiple sprites on screen and showing a "rear view mirror" at 30 fps with no slowdown. It did a fantastic job of giving the illusion of doing a full track.

It also handled collision detection better than the arcade - you could seriously wreck your shit on the MD version. In the arcade, you'd magically go through obstacles on the edges of the track, getting pushed back onto the track.

Absolutely true. I spent a lot of time on the Genesis version in late summer/early fall 1990. That was also around the time I saw the arcade game for the first time at an amusement park (Six Flags Great America in Illinois). The full sit-down cab with the screen screen magnifier.

Super Monaco GP - 1989, X-Board Hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpkQ5d6Doo

bonus: Amiga (and C64) version gameplay footage: https://youtu.be/-XSxjuC5Uqs?t=41s

Of course, there was also the console-only sequel, Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II, but besides that game, Sega made two direct arcade follow-up successors to SMGP.

F1 Exhaust Note - 1991, System 32 Hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DodhYmUtoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DodhYmUtoY

F1 Super Lap - 1993, System 32 Hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZEmQwcWroc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqwZJ9U16Y

For comparisons sake, what would probably be the best example of a scaler-based SNES game? Since comparing to more powerful arcade hardware doesn't seem completely fair.

Celine

That's not really 2D though is it? Seems like the track is 3D along with a bunch of objects on the track, with the racers being 2D. Which is pretty much how Mario Kart 64 was handled
Yeah, he didn't explain well.
The terrain is "mode 7" (managed by VDP2) while all object on the track except the characters are made by textured polygons (or flat texture).
This is the reason why Street Race is one of those rare case of a third-party game where the Saturn version outperform the PS1 version.

Futaleufu

Looks almost Pole Position simple. Certainly less impressive than something made years earlier, like Enduro Racer and Hang-On. I don't think there ever was a steering wheel or handlebar control hardware for a dedicated NG cabinet and that must've killed into-the-screen racing, too.

Both Enduro racer and Hang-on ran on hardware with dual 68000 cpus, where the Neo geo only had one.

Sega also released Hang-on Jr. that runs on cheaper hardware (a single Z80)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6b-szOu-s This game resembles Pole Position a lot more than Riding Hero, which could be seen as a middle ground between both techs.

Both Enduro racer and Hang-on ran on hardware with dual 68000 cpus, where the Neo geo only had one.

Sega also released Hang-on Jr. that runs on cheaper hardware (a single Z80)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6b-szOu-s This game resembles Pole Position a lot more than Riding Hero, which could be seen as a middle ground between both techs.
Looks like a souped-up version of the Master System game. My comparison was an exaggeration, but RH looks closer to Namco's Final Lap, anyway.

AmyS

I can't believe nobody mentioned Big Run from Jaleco a 1989 arcade game, then ported to the Super Famicom in early 1991.

Big Run - Arcade vs SFC, Atari ST, Amiga.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r3zPiocXkY

About the SNES version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Run_(video_game)

There are no Mode 7 graphics used in the game; which is rare for a Super NES game. Instead, the race proceeds in a straight line without any 360° effects to simulate turning around and going in different direction. Most of the turns are on a 30° angle; forcing the player to turn sharply to the left and to the right.

Really, the only reason I even knew of this game was that I read about it in EGM, right before the SFC launch in Japan.

L5fRWVS.jpg

God there were so many Out Run clones (i.e. Big Run, and Victory Run on TG-16)....

Synth

but I feel like it's telling that multiplayer was rarely a major factor in the history of raster-road engine racing games and yet was so natural and essential in Mario Kart (and so clearly missing in F-Zero, even in 1990 before we knew 2p Mode7 could work.)

Hmm... this is a strange point to make imo. Multiplayer was hardly uncommon for those types of games. You had stuff like Road Rash 2 & 3, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Street Racer, Top Gear, Skitchin', Super Monaco GP, Jaguar XJ220 and others that all had split screen multiplayer. Mario Kart is obviously a flag bearer for multiplayer, much like it is today... but I'd attribute that more to its Kart gameplay than it's technological model (same reason why other polygonal racers aren't viewed as being as multiplayer dependent).

If there was more of a singleplayer focus in the arcades with stuff like Outrun, I'd argue it was more a result of splitscreen being an undesirable element for an arcade, and linked cabinets not becoming more common until later (and then you got stuff like Outrunners anyway).

Wonko_C

Loved reading all the posts in this topic. Two of my favorite Raster racers were Top Gear 1 & 2 on SNES. (Love the music) So I think it's mandatory to mention Horizon Chase. It's a mobile game that pays homage to those classics, but with an actual 3D engine. I remember reading the developers had a difficult time trying to make a 3D track behave like a 2D raster track. But they really did pull it off in the end. It's very cheap, plays awesome. Pick it up if you guys haven't yet.

https://youtu.be/cggbgZF_aFg

Why do people keep saying this when Power Drift and Super Monaco GP have been mentioned? That arcade technology wasn't just used for linear racers.

Even in games where you're not dodging things, the bottom line is the gameplay, the feeling that you're actually driving, is better in Mode 7 games. Your vehicle doesn't feel restrained.

The one distinct advantage of Mode7 I can think of is the fact that the camera can be freely rotated to display the track at any angle, while raster engines are locked to a fixed angle in order to maintain the illusion. This sure sounds like a big deal on paper, but whenever I play these games it's never something that actively enters my mind nor does it have any meaningful integration into the gameplay beyond some fancy camera tricks once the race is over..
This, quite simply, isn't true at all. Both Mode 7 and raster racers can be good or bad, and each has advantages over the other depending on what kind of game you want to make, but the goal of using Mode 7 in racing games was to create a more realistic course, and it accomplishes that.

I mean, in a raster racing game, all the track can do is go straight ahead or smoothly curve left or right. Those are the only things you can do. If you're making a raster F1 game with the real tracks and you get to a 180-degree turn, what will the player see? A sharper smooth curve and that's it. Sure, on the minimap you will see a picture of the real turn, but in the game it'll be nothing whatsoever like it. Raster games are great for things like Outrun, racing games where you go from point to point, trying to stay on the road. But for a circuit-based game, or anything trying for more realism, it's kind of awful because you cannot make something that even remotely resembles a real race track!

And that's where Mode 7 steps in. It allows right angles, 180 degree corners, and so much more -- things that can exist in reality, but not in a raster title. Mode 7 has its limitations too though, as most Mode 7 games have strict limits on how large you can make each track, and on the SNES the tracks must all be completely flat if you want the framerate to get out of the single digits (see Cannondale Cup, a SNES Mode 7 bike racing game with hills... and an atrocious framerate).

So Mode 7 is definitely not good for everything, and scaler-style raster racers can be awesome. Even so though, my overall favorite 4th-gen racing game is F-Zero, and it would not be the same if was a raster title. My second favorite is the raster-style Genesis game Outrun 2019, but F-Zero is better.

It's only an average game really, but I do want to mention one racing game which does something interesting, visually, on the SNES: Williams' (Midway, that is, probably) Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCp3eEYZHc The tracks in this game actually seem to exist in 3d space, so you'll see the track ahead of you, it can cross over itself, etc. Tracks are made up of a bunch of specific track-type pieces, and you'll notice that after not long, but still it's neat stuff you don't often see in 4th-gen racers -- it's definitely not a standard raster game, but it isn't Mode 7 either.

There are a couple of things that really bother me when playing Mode7 racers. First is the unnatural flatness of the world which seems to be due to a number of factors. One is a distinct lack of prop objects placed in the scenery. Super Mario Kart is the only exception I can think of on the SNES which features some pipes here and there. Dunno if the general lack of these were due to technical limitations.
The flatness is, again, done for framerate reasons; see Cannondale Cup.

Prop objects are actually tricky to do on a SNES unless you use an addon chip to help out, as Mario Kart does. You get used to the flatness, but Mode 7-style games on the PC or newer platforms are more likely to have more objects that pop out -- see Wacky Wheels for example, or GBA racing games that use the "Mode 7" style, which there are quite a few of.

Third is how the tracks themselves don't feel quite as nuanced in their raw layout, relying much more on sudden sharp turns and such, which kind of ties into the feel and fluidity of the driving and steering which I never really got a feel for either.
I'd call them more nuanced, because you can do things beyond smooth curves on a Mode 7-style racing game. That's very significant thing. Yes, particularly on the SNES the tracks usually are relatively small compared to the size of a raster games' course because of technical limitations, but there are just as many benefits as there are drawbacks. The complexity of a track is not only about its size!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, he didn't explain well.
The terrain is "mode 7" (managed by VDP2) while all object on the track except the characters are made by textured polygons (or flat texture).
This is the reason why Street Race is one of those rare case of a third-party game where the Saturn version outperform the PS1 version.

Ohh. So all the 3D stuff is placed on an angled 2D plane, that explains the camera angle.

It's only an average game really, but I do want to mention one racing game which does something interesting, visually, on the SNES: Williams' (Midway, that is, probably) Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCp3eEYZHc The tracks in this game actually seem to exist in 3d space, so you'll see the track ahead of you, it can cross over itself, etc. Tracks are made up of a bunch of specific track-type pieces, and you'll notice that after not long, but still it's neat stuff you don't often see in 4th-gen racers -- it's definitely not a standard raster game, but it isn't Mode 7 either.

Watching some of this, I'm pretty sure this is the closest you'll get to an FMV game on the SNES. Basically pre-rendered/pre-recorded sections of track repeated in different configurations, a video playing in the background as you move your car left and right.

For another game that used this technique to better effect, check out Toy Story Racing on the GBC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8nLpO-WaUs&feature=youtu.be&t=36

Hard Drivin' was an unreleased prototype on the NES that did something similar, essentially played back frame-by-frame large 3D track elements as the player encountered them: https://youtu.be/TWacLAxHZzk?t=41

Interesting thread, I've always had a softer spot for raster racers myself, but having recently replayed and enjoyed a ton of F-Zero, plus some F1 Roc II (with a built in AI chip, lol), I've grown to really enjoy the benefits Mode 7 gives too.

I would have loved to see more Saturn games using the VDP2 making infinite planes to make even more advanced "Mode 7" games, but yeah 3D took over as we all know. I guess Street Racer gave us a alternative 2D timeline glimpse.

Do raster racers though take any consideration for the length of a track? Is the tightest spot in the corner actually shorter than driving on the outer side without cutting corners? If not then that's were Mode 7 had a clear advantage in closed circuit racers. Rasters are mainly about avoiding stuff along the track.

Synth

Do raster racers though take any consideration for the length of a track? Is the tightest spot in the corner actually shorter than driving on the outer side without cutting corners? If not then that's were Mode 7 had a clear advantage in closed circuit racers. Rasters are mainly about avoiding stuff along the track.

At a basic level they typically wouldn't be, unless they had been programmed specifically to emulate this behaviour.

In many cases however, the typical rule of out-in-out still applies as the drift towards the outside of the track that increases the higher the speed you're travelling is designed to mimic the wider turning arcs required for fast travelling vehicles. As a result take a corner with a line following the outside of the track will generally be slower, as it'd require slower speeds to actually remain on the course for that turn. The main exception would be on long fast corners, where there would be no reduction in speed required for any line taken.

Top Bottom