• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Hollywood sucks, good 60's and 70's recommendations?

pramod

Banned
With nothing to watch in modern shitty woke dumbed-down Hollywood, I've started to spend more time with the classics from the golden age of Hollywood and TV.

Been binging a lot of Columbo clips on Youtube. The writing and acting is sooooooo good compared to the modern dreck these days.

Also trying to catch up on classic films that were before my time like The French Connection, The Day of the Jackal, Dog Day Afternoon, etc.

Anyone have good recommendations of maybe something more obscure but still good?
Especially anything with Gene Hackman in it, the guy is a fucking legend and so good in everything he does.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My recommendations

Chinatown
Deliverance
Godfathers 1+2
Apocalypse Now
CLockwork Orange (anything Kubrick)
Fullmetal Jacket
Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
Stand by Me
Mad Max 2 (skip 1. It's weird)
Blue Velvet (PABST. BLUE. RIBBON)

John Carpenter Essential Pack:
Halloween
The Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
Escape from New York
In the Mouth of Madness (90s movie, but still wonderful)

Bonus category Anime:
Mobile Suit Gundam 1-3
Macross Do You Remember Love
Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

NecrosaroIII

Shoot, missed read this as a 70s / 80s thread. Here are some 60s movies

Sound of Music
A Hard Day's Night
Lawrence of Arabia
2001 A Space Odessey
Magnificent 7
The Good the Bad and the Ugly (the greatest western ever made)

Goldfinger
Dr. No
From Russia with Love
You Only Live Twice (Goofy and stupid, but charming IMHO)

dan76

If you pick any random movie from the 60's and 70's it's probably going to be good compared to the average film today. Basic storytelling has taken a massive downturn, as has cinematography with so much digital manipulation and grading.

You can't go wrong with most films from that era. Any Hackman, Pacino, Nicholson or DeNiro film is worth a watch. So much cool shit was getting made back then.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You answered part of your question. Columbo was the GOAT for TV detectives. Watch every episode from Season 1 all the way to the ABC specials. No spoilers but his last episode in 2003 does show a decline in quality writing.

If it's movies...you'll never lose watching Roger Corman's Poe movies.

Check out nearly any Norman Lear production too...especially Sanford & Son.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Bridge on the River Kwai
Dr. Zhivago
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Jaws
Rosemary's Baby
Once Upon A Time in the West
The Great Escape
The Graduate
The Innocents
The Apartment
Dr. Strangelove
Midnight Cowboy
Lawrence of Arabia
Yojimbo
Psycho
2001 A Space Odyssey
Cool Hand Luke
Ride the High Country
The Wild Bunch
From Russia With Love
Barry Lyndon
The Sting
Sleuth
The Omen
Paper Moon
The Godfather 1 & 2
Days of Heaven
The Cowboys
The Man Who Would Be King
Escape from Alcatraz
Alien
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

If you haven't watched any of these, you're in for a treat.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
All the old disaster movies, cheesy tropes and good times.

The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
Fire
Earthquake
The Night the Bridge Fell Down
Airport series (Airport 79 is amazeballs and dreams it's part of the Airplane! series, probably)
Rollercoaster and Black Sunday were both fictional movies from the 70's themed around fear of domestic terrorism.

Always down for a movie thread. Always glad to see someone take interest in cinema before the 80s. If you want recommendations you've come to right person.

Fairly well known ones that haven't been named:
Taxi Driver - I mean c'mon it's one of the most iconic 70s films ever
Bonnie and Clyde - one of the premiere period crime films of the 60s, paved the way for the genre in the 70s. Downer ending for the ages
Manchurian Candidate - one hell of a mindtrip. Plus Frank Sinatra has a bourne style apartment karate fight against Henry Silva, the first of its kind in Hollywood
Serpico - Pacino as the straightest cop ever, fights corruption everywhere and takes no shit from anyone. Inspired by a true story
Straw Dogs - hard edged Peckinpah stuff. Dustin Hoffman sweating up a storm
Repulsion - Some psychedelic black and white horror, one of Silent Hill's big inspirations
The Getaway - One of Steve McQueen's best, one of Peckinpah's most entertaining
Drunken Master - Not as good as the sequel, but prime example of a 70s Kung Fu movie and Jackie's first breakout hit
Fist of Fury - Where would action films be without Bruce Lee? Classic master revenge story, lots of iconic fights starring Bruce Lee in what might be a his most rounded movie
Enter the Dragon - Very cheesy, and the action scenes aren't very good, but if you want Bruce Lee at his most intense this is it
Tokyo Drifter - proto John Wick yakuza movie, one of those "escape the criminal underworld" stories. An art film and an action film with very cool style

The 60s were home to some big studio WWII war films. A bity creaky now but big blockbusters back in their day. My favorites:
Where Eagles Dare - Clint Eastwood in an early role, already an action hero. The buildup is slow but the last half hour is straight primo action. Spielberg's favorite WWII movie I've heard
Dark of the Sun - super entertaining action movie with chainsaw fights and lots of machine gun fire. So macho it could've been an 80s movie
Play Dirty - really gritty desert desperation drama crossed with some intense action. Plus Michael "Nevah" Caine

What would the 1970s be without practically shot, muscle car bound, car chase films?
The Driver - Could be the best car chase film of all time. Inspired Drive, Baby Driver, and probably countless others
Gone in 60s Seconds - The original, sans Nick Cage. This is actually an indie film, and the story is nonsense, but watch for the insane 40 minute Mustang car chase.
Death Race 2000 - before Wacky Races, Robocop, and Speed Racer, there was Death Race 2000. Amazing satire, colorful racers race across the continental US in a televised race to the death. Oh Stallone is in it.
Sugarland Express - One of Spielberg's earliest, and he already displays so much talent
Duel - Another Spielberg one, super intense, more of a horror than car chase film

Lesser known genre movies that deserve to be seen:
Prime Cuts - Lee Marvin and Sissy Spacek star this super weird but very exciting action thriller. Oh it's got Gene Hackman chewing scenery as a human cattle baron.
Point Blank - Lee Marvin wants his money and he'll do anything to get it. Kick ass thriller
Assault on Precinct 13 - One of Carpenter's earliest, it's what he does best: characters, action, and horror perfectly blended
The Taking of Pelham 123 - Terrorist take a subway train full of passengers hostage, this is one of the original blockbusters that paved the way
Three Outlaw Samurai - One hell of an action film, hard to believe a movie from the 60s could have sword fights this good. Fun and fast paced too
Sword of Doom - Watch a man descend into madness as his bloodlust overtakes him. Samurai Classic
Shogun Assassin - Technically an 80s movie but technically 2 70s samurai movies cut into 1 with an awesome synthscore, if you like badass fights and blood geysers this is it
Lady Snowblood - A bloody good time, female revenge samurai flick with more blood sprays than anything. Iconic performance from Meiko Kaji
Zatoichi - A wandering blind swordsman who appears bumbling until someone crosses him, fun pulpy adventure. There's like 27 films and Criterion Collection has them all
Street Mobster - Super gritty rise to power Yakuza movie, very simple premise but bleak as hell and very character driven
Seconds - a very modern thriller with a very interesting twist
Freebie and the Bean - might be the first buddy cop movie ever, and it's already fully formed. Action packed and funny. Also RIP James Caan
Truck Turner - fast paced blaxploitation classic full of colorful characters
Coffy - Pam Grier is an icon and this is why
Vengeance! (1970) - Chang Cheh was John Woo's mentor and a master of kung fu cinema. This is one of the best of the era, one hell of a knife fight at the end
Dragon Inn - the "noodle eastern" to Leone's spaghetti westerns, characters with different motivations get tangled up at an inn in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful shots, fast fight scenes
A Touch of Zen - same director as Dragon Inn, if you liked that one watch this too
Heroes of the East - Good humored kung fu rom com about a married couple trying to prove their respective country's better. Don't see that everyday
Emperor of the North Pole- More Lee Marvin, an action adventure about Hobos on trains, much more exciting than it sounds
Mr. Majestyk - Charles Bronson made a lot of movies in the 70s besides Death Wish, and I think this is one of his best
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro - If you like retro anime and Studio Ghibli, this is Miyazaki's first feature film as director, fun and quirky, very 1970s

The Italians ripped off Hollywood a lot during the 60s and 70s, but some real gems emerged from the pile:
Django - completely unrelated to Tarantino, but he did steal the title song. This inspired Gungrave, you will know when you see it. Very comic book, very badass
The Big Gundown - Ultra cool spaghetti western with Lee Van Cleef in the starring role. Really tight storytelling
The Great Silence - super bleak twist on the classic spaghetti western. In the snow. Don't expect a happy ending
The Big Racket - Italian cop films are really gritty, this is one of the best. Expect lots of awesome shootouts and fights
Live Like a Cop, Die like a Man - Hilarious buddy cop movies about two out of control cops who does what they want. Trashy but fun.

These are some of the films off the top of my head. Should keep you busy. Have Fun! (EDIT: added trailers)

Last edited:
Shit I forgot A Boy and His Dog, you gotta see this one if you haven't already. A punkass kid wanders the wasteland with his telepathic dog and discovers and underground dystopian society of crazies. Predates Mad Max and the influence on Fallout and Bioshock is obvious. So politically incorrect yet observationally acute about base humanity it'd be unimaginable today.

Normal 1970s trailer:

Crazy 1970s trailer:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Dog day afternoon
Guess who's coming to dinner
Is it my mother ?

I’d suggest
The longest Day
Seven Samurai
Bullit
Alien
Easy rider
Porkies
Blues brothers
Poseidon adventure
Airplane
Logan’s run

Don’t discount the 80’s & 90’s
Copland
Kevin Smith’s earlier stuff post jersey girl.
Aliens
Terminator 1 and 2
Predator
The running man
A lot of the old classic JCVD films. Blood sport is legit
Point break
Bill and ted excellent ans bogus
Long Good Friday
Sexy beast
Full metal jacket
A lot of Robert Rodriguez
Bad boy bubby
Too many to name.

A personal fav of mine is king of the kick-boxers three
Anything with Bolo Yueng is worth seeking out

Marathon man
Platoon
Saving private Ryan
The rocketeer
Tank girl (I don’t care it’s legit)
Dark city
The crow.
Showdown in little Tokyo

Hardboiled
The killer
Broken arrow

Die hard 1-3
Last man standing
Last Boy Scout
LA confidential
Star Trek first contact (legit one of the best sci-fi action flicks ever)

Star ship troopers
Event horizon

As mentioned above Zatoichi is great

Trainspotting
Dog soilders
R-point

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hong Kong cinema is also another genre with tons of stuff. This is more 80s but check the 80s filmography of Chow Yun Fat (my favorite actor). Hard Boiled and The Killer are the most famous but City on Fire is my personal favorite and inspired some of Reservoir Dogs.

Shtef

Hong Kong cinema is also another genre with tons of stuff. This is more 80s but check the 80s filmography of Chow Yun Fat (my favorite actor). Hard Boiled and The Killer are the most famous but City on Fire is my personal favorite and inspired some of Reservoir Dogs.
02F25mr.gif

NecrosaroIII

Shit I forgot A Boy and His Dog, you gotta see this one if you haven't already. A punkass kid wanders the wasteland with his telepathic dog and discovers and underground dystopian society of crazies. Predates Mad Max and the influence on Fallout and Bioshock is obvious. So politically incorrect yet observationally acute about base humanity it'd be unimaginable today.

Normal 1970s trailer:

Crazy 1970s trailer:

I love this movie.

Cyberpunkd

Man, seeing HK in 1980s is truly something as someone that lived there a few years in 2000s. Blast from the last.

LimanimaPT

The decline in hollywood movies seems to be unstoppable...
It's crap after crap.

Funny you mentioned Columbo. I remembered a few things from the show when I was a child. I'm watching the series now and that character, ho boy. What a fantastic performance from peter falk.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I would even go 60's/70's by actors alone: Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Mia Farrow, last greats of Robert Shaw or Peter Sellers, Vincent Price, James Brolin, Sir Ian Holm. Anything written/directed by Mel Brooks.

If you're into low budget sci-fi fantasy check out:

- Starcrash
- The Visitor
- Dark Star

Last edited:

Amiga

Who Done It.

Police Story is the GOAT of cop movies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bonus category Anime:
Mobile Suit Gundam 1-3
Macross Do You Remember Love
Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Absolutely based. Too bad your live action selection isn’t that good. Chinatown ZZZzzz

20cent

Banned
Some movies not mentioned here yet from my Plex history I've enjoyed:

1970 Colossus: The Forbin Project
1979 Hardcore
1979 The Brood
1971 The Andromeda Strain
1973 Don't Look Now
1974 Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter
1968 The Devil Rides Out
1961 Scream of Fear (Taste of Fear)
1983 Brainstorm
1985 Flesh + Blood
1988 The Vanishing
1982 The Sender
1980 The Ninth Configuration
1983 The Keep
1980 Cruising
1980 The Changeling
1983 The Dead Zone
1980 Altered States

From the 80s, don't skip the 2001 Space Odyssey, The Fly or Psycho sequels. And the Exorcist III.

dave_d

Wait, so nobody mentioned Dawn of the Dead?(1978) Also if you like quirky comedies I'd suggest Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, The Kentucky Fried Movie, and The Jerk

daveonezero

Banned
I just watch First Blood for the first time. I’ve actually never watched any Rambo flicks. Recently watched all the Rocky’s and those were fun.

Very good flick. Was almost jarring how bad Rambo is treated by the cops.

Still an excellent piece and I liked it was in the Pacific Northwest.

Bookmarking this thread.

Last edited:

phaedrus

I would even go 60's/70's by actors alone: Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Mia Farrow, last greats of Robert Shaw or Peter Sellers, Vincent Price, James Brolin, Sir Ian Holm. Anything written/directed by Mel Brooks.

If you're into low budget sci-fi fantasy check out:

- Starcrash
- The Visitor
- Dark Star

Top Bottom