• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Hollywood sucks, good 60's and 70's recommendations?

Off the top of my head trying not to duplicate prior suggestions.

-Sorcerer by William Friedkin
-Blowout & Dressed to kill by De Palma
-Mean streets by Scorsese

For goofy all out kung fu action Black belt Jones 😃

I second all these, and Also check out Three The Hard Way, which stars not only Jim Kelly but Jim Brown and Fred Williamson, A dream-team-up of blaxploitation icons, in an explosive action gauntlet.
Some movies not mentioned here yet from my Plex history I've enjoyed:

1970 Colossus: The Forbin Project
1979 Hardcore
1979 The Brood
1971 The Andromeda Strain
1973 Don't Look Now
1974 Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter
1968 The Devil Rides Out
1961 Scream of Fear (Taste of Fear)
1983 Brainstorm
1985 Flesh + Blood
1988 The Vanishing
1982 The Sender
1980 The Ninth Configuration
1983 The Keep
1980 Cruising
1980 The Changeling
1983 The Dead Zone
1980 Altered States

From the 80s, don't skip the 2001 Space Odyssey, The Fly or Psycho sequels. And the Exorcist III.
Wow got a bunch in here I haven't seen yet! Haven't even heard of Captain Kronos, I need to see that now (and more Hammer films apparently).

Hell ya. we should start a CYF thread actually. There are still some movies I havent seen, I am kind of saving them actually.
Why not go all the way and start a Hong Kong movie thread?

nush

Why not go all the way and start a Hong Kong movie thread?

You're going to have to sail the high seas to get the best of it. But fuck yaaa there be buried gold there me lad.

Finally a place where I can share the love that is Sex and Zen. Grab a beer, light one up and you are in for a wild ride.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Been binging a lot of Columbo clips on Youtube. The writing and acting is sooooooo good compared to the modern dreck these days.
So, my father just passed away exactly a month ago from today. His favorite show on television was Colombo. I started getting into it in the last few months and would even watch episodes with him and a while back I bought him a DVD set with all the episodes and recently about a month before he passed away, I also bought him a Colombo coffee mug.

I'm watching the Columbo episodes when they come on the Sundance channel every Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

The Columbo episodes from the 1970s are so good. I recently been trying to watch a lot of movies and shows from the '70s and Columbo is one of the best.

You couldn't be more correct when you say the writing is excellent. It's so much better than the stuff made today and Columbo himself is so charismatic.

Try to watch full episodes and do a binge watch or a marathon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom