• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

Kibbles said:
Nah, sorry. I'm fucking sick of the douchebags on xbox live who have shit like that already. Promoting it by adding pot leafs and joints as giant ass logos that pop up everytime you kill them? Yeah real cool. I'm sure there is more stupid shit like that in the game as well. "FAGS" haha, real funny IW.
9zvl21.jpg

firehawk12 said:
I agree that we're still in the "train rushing toward the camera" phase of video game story telling. The fundamental problem with games - and the same thing happened with film - is that we have yet to figure out a way to tell dramatic or romantic stories without being crass and mashing polygons together. It's why 99% of all games released today involve someone killing another person/creature. Interactivity through violence is what we can do and there are only so many types of stories you can tell with that kind of interaction between characters (action-drama and comedy).

I'd suggest it's not that Volition or Rockstar 'gets it'. They understand the limitations of the medium and can't think of a way to overcome them, so they concede defeat and choose to go with the familiar.

See, here's where I'm starting to lose you, because if you're saying that 99% of games can't handle telling dramatic or romantic stories without resorting to violence, then turn right around and sing the praises of this airport sequence, I can't really take your assessment very seriously. Why should the civilian shooting gallery hint at more depth than, say, Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus, or even Mass Effect? Easy answer: it doesn't. Just because you set a game in a real life environment doesn't automatically mean it will have more depth than any other setting or genre.

Even if you only examine SotC and Mass Effect, you find an extraordinarily profound sense of emotional attachment. I challenge you to claim you never felt the least bit sorry about killing your first colossus or that your heart didn't swell just a little bit during the finale of Mass Effect where
Shepherd emerges from the wreckage of Sovereign

Or what about Bioshock? Did you never get chills seeing Rapture for the first time? Or hearing Ryan speaking to you over the PA system? Did Bioshock not engage you intellectually on any level? Did "Would you kindly" not have any effect at all?

See what I'm getting at? An otherworldly setting is completely irrelevant if the writer/creator knows what they're doing.

Further, Volition and Rockstar absolutely do "get it" when it comes to a discussion about violence in games. GTA is used as the poster-child example of violence in games. SR is cast from its mold. Many, many people point to those types of games as indicative of mindless violence, but end up missing the larger point: that the developers set out to mock American life. Hence the sarcastic commercials, the ne'er do well anti-heroes, the ironic twists on familiar idioms, and so on. The violence we see in GTA and SR is merely another extension of that comedic hyperreality. Volition and Rockstar "get it" because they know where ultraviolence works: in comedy.

Honestly, I think there is a perception issue. And maybe that's just old world bias, but the more you remove the plot from an understandable setting, the less relatable it becomes. It also excuses the developers from working within the limitations of a knowable society - which is why often race, gender and sexuality are not really considered when telling game stories. GTA4: The Lost and Damned was the first time I played a character that I knew was Jewish and carried at least some form of Jewish subjectivity - and a large part of that is because it's set in a somewhat realistic version of contemporary NYC.

Again, I challenge you to sit here and tell me that SotC, Bioshock, or Mass Effect are any less relevant to society than Modern Warfare. I think you're operating from a very clear old world bias, because you seem incapable of recognizing familiar themes, emotions, and relate-able characters when they're not set in your neighborhood. Every one of us here felt something--something familiar--when playing SotC, Bioshock, or Mass Effect. And your comments about race, gender and sexuality are incredibly short-sighted. While games like SotC and Mass Effect aren't perfect when it comes to those themes, they're good enough to stir something in most gamers, and good enough to warrant some of your consideration here.

Well, off topic completely, but one of my favourite ironic movies is Pearl Harbor. Bay goes through the movie having each of his characters scream "SLANT EYED JAP COCKSUCKERS" over and over again. Then there was the jive talking robots in Transformers 2.
I mean, you can enjoy his movies for what they are... but his stupidity can be dangerous as well.

His stupidity is no more dangerous than any entertainer. But that still doesn't minimize the fact that he knows what his strengths and weaknesses are, and doesn't try to disguise them as anything else. He wants big explosions, gigantically elaborate action scenes, and attractive eye-candy live actors. To my knowledge, he hasn't yet included anything so outlandishly ridiculous at this airport sequence and tried to pass it off as plot-critical. So again, I don't see how Michael Bay is relevant here at all.

I completely understand where you and The Blue Jihad are coming from. Maybe I'm more of an optimist (which, if you know me, is like hell freezing over) when I look at this scene and see it as a jumping off point to something greater in the future. In the grand scheme of things, do I think MW2 will be a text that can be compared to the highest forms of literature or film? Probably not. But I think this scene and the intent behind this scene is very important and will be remembered as much as the end of Super Metroid as pushing forward the way people can tell stories in games.

This part wasn't directed at me, but let me ask you...where do you actually see this scene taking us? What in this airport sequence is going to push narrative quality forward? What possible improvements could come out of an eight minute shooting gallery? Skip the hyperbole and overwrought excitement and answer me straight-up. What good will this scene do?

Kibbles said:
Oh FFS. This is complete bullshit IW. Who's brilliant idea was this? I'm convinced IW is owned by a 12year old. I thought the end of that video was a nice laugh, but "FAGS" and Pot Leafs, and joints? Seriously? MP is going to get annoying fast. Hopefully hardcore mode will stick with the limited HUD and won't have all this crap popping up with joints and shit.

jesus christ dude relax. you could use some weed

X26

Banned
I'd like to think the pot stuff is jsut for that vid as a joke...bu then again, they called one of th perks "bling". And the fags line is really weird to see

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Blue Jihad said:
See, here's where I'm starting to lose you, because if you're saying that 99% of games can't handle telling dramatic or romantic stories without resorting to violence, then turn right around and sing the praises of this airport sequence, I can't really take your assessment very seriously. Why should the civilian shooting gallery hint at more depth than, say, Bioshock, Shadow of the Colossus, or even Mass Effect? Easy answer: it doesn't. Just because you set a game in a real life environment doesn't automatically mean it will have more depth than any other setting or genre.

So Brobzoid and I took it to PMs because I think we're back to gameplay in here more than the leak, but I'll just do point form as best I can. I'd be happy to go to PMs with you too though. :)

First, yes MW2 is yet another FPS. But in the context of a world where developers haven't been able to come up with another metaphor for player interactivity that doesn't involve smashing stuff (outside of sports or sim games, of course), it's really better than nothing.

SotC is great at engendering a negative emotional response to each colossus that you kill, just as ICO was brilliant at creating an emotional bond between two characters without relying on bad cutscenes or voice acting. I would argue that the new Prince of Persia does the same thing. These meditations on raw human emotion are great and there are many works of art in every medium that are divorced from any political reality. But there's a big difference between a game about the broader theme of friendship and the politics of a queer relationship.

Trust me though, I love the three games you've mentioned, in spite of some of their faults and I appreciate some of their attempts to integrate game play and storytelling - the Virmire sequence in Mass Effect is probably my highlight of that game - but for all their import, they have less political agency than say, Flower, which has a clear environmentalist message despite its abstraction. But Flower is the exception, not the rule.

This part wasn't directed at me, but let me ask you...where do you actually see this scene taking us? What in this airport sequence is going to push narrative quality forward? What possible improvements could come out of an eight minute shooting gallery? Skip the hyperbole and overwrought excitement and answer me straight-up. What good will this scene do?

My hope is that someone will be able to make an FPS where I care about every bullet I fire - just as real soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan must feel when they are forced to take another human life. I'm not saying I want a game to give me PTSD, but even if it forces a destabilization of the BOOM HEADSHOT mentality that we all feel when we play these types of games, I'd be more than happy with that.

If you haven't seen this already, I invite you to take a look at this article on the Escapist:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_201/6057-See-No-Evil
He approaches WW2 from the perspective of a descendant of a holocaust survivor.

J-Rzez

Kibbles said:
Oh FFS. This is complete bullshit IW. Who's brilliant idea was this? I'm convinced IW is owned by a 12year old. I thought the end of that video was a nice laugh, but "FAGS" and Pot Leafs, and joints? Seriously? MP is going to get annoying fast. Hopefully hardcore mode will stick with the limited HUD and won't have all this crap popping up with joints and shit.

It's just IW attacking their user base/fans. Making fun of all the pot heads (the numerous that play shooters like this) that love to draw attention to themselves that they smoke pot. Because they have to stand out like the hollywood environmentalists making 20mil a movie, but flaunting their Prius. It's making fun of nearly everyone else that plays the game because everyone calls each other "fags" in the game. And, they already got their PC user base good so no need to address them.

Eric WK

And so the streams begin. I look forward to the stark contrast between Activision/Infinity Ward's handling of this and 2K/Gearbox's handling of the Borderlands streams.

Eric WK said:
And so the streams begin. I look forward to the stark contrast between Activision/Infinity Ward's handling of this and 2K/Gearbox's handling of the Borderlands streams.

Yeah, Gearbox was sweet, going into the streams and talking with people, I doubt IW will do that at all, they'll easily have them removed.

Ramirez

No Crash remake confirmed yet? For shame.

Anyone know if the gun bobbing can be turned off? That made me motion sick in PDZ. :(

ShogunX

God damn it a friend around the corner just downloaded the leaked copy of MW2. So tempted to go around and play because it pains me that a guy with so little interest and skill with FPS games has this game RAGE RAGE RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Might take some pics of the multiplayer maps and post them up though we shall see.

So those pot leaves are for real? How did that fly with Sony and Microsoft? I guess neither of them had the balls to say anything to IW/Activision. I know this is a mature game but seriously WTF? Why is that shit needed? It's not cool or funny. And trust me, I take nothing seriously and it's almost impossible to offend me but this is just juvenile and classless.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shogun PaiN said:
God damn it a friend around the corner just downloaded the leaked copy of MW2. So tempted to go around and play because it pains me that a guy with so little interest and skill with FPS games has this game RAGE RAGE RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Might take some pics of the multiplayer maps and post them up though we shall see.

Since when has MW2 been leaked?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kibbles said:
Nah, sorry. I'm fucking sick of the douchebags on xbox live who have shit like that already. Promoting it by adding pot leafs and joints as giant ass logos that pop up everytime you kill them? Yeah real cool. I'm sure there is more stupid shit like that in the game as well. "FAGS" haha, real funny IW.

Ok what did weed ever do to hurt you? You act like it killed your kitten.

otakuderek

Net_Wrecker said:
Did this guy already find a glitch? He was shooting, and switching weapons at the same time, and was wasting NO bullets.

If my memory serves me correctly, the same thing happened in COD4 but the bullets didn't register. They were called "Phantom Bullets"

firehawk12 said:
I completely understand where you and The Blue Jihad are coming from. Maybe I'm more of an optimist (which, if you know me, is like hell freezing over) when I look at this scene and see it as a jumping off point to something greater in the future. In the grand scheme of things, do I think MW2 will be a text that can be compared to the highest forms of literature or film? Probably not. But I think this scene and the intent behind this scene is very important and will be remembered as much as the end of Super Metroid as pushing forward the way people can tell stories in games.
I'm with you on this one. It doesn’t matter if IW fails or succeeds with this particular scene (which I only just learned about from the PCG podcast), what does matter is that one of the largest and arguably most mainstream developers in the business is willing to take a step in this direction. Hopefully it can inspire other developers to start taking risks with this kind of thing instead of just churning out the same old A to B scenarios.

It’ll probably lead to – if anything – a lot terrible attempts to tackle serious issues in future games, but I still think it's a step in the right direction for gaming in general. Someday someone will get it right, and a thing like this enables that someone to step forward.

A guy on the PC gamer podcast said that he was disgusted and didn’t want this in their popcorn shooter and it annoyed me to no end. I think there is a place for stuff like this in gaming. If anything (again) IW could show these people that games can be more than just an adrenaline fueled rollercoaster ride, which is the absolute last thing I expected from CoD of all games.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Danne-Danger said:
I'm with you on this one. It doesn’t matter if IW fails or succeeds with this particular scene (which I only just learned about from the PCG podcast), what does matter is that one of the largest and arguably most mainstream developers in the business is willing to take a step in this direction. Hopefully it can inspire other developers to start taking risks with this kind of thing instead of just churning out the same old A to B scenarios.

It’ll probably lead to – if anything – a lot terrible attempts to tackle serious issues in future games, but I still think it's a step in the right direction for gaming in general. Someday someone will get it right, and a thing like this enables that someone to step forward.

A guy on the PC gamer podcast said that he was disgusted and didn’t want this in their popcorn shooter and it annoyed me to no end. I think there is a place for stuff like this in gaming. If anything (again) IW could show these people that games can be more than just an adrenaline fueled rollercoaster ride, which is the absolute last thing I expected from CoD of all games.
But recreating a scenario out of a Tom Clancy novel or an episode of 24 isn't exactly risk-taking or much of an attempt to tackle a serious issue.

onken

Sorry I did search but couldn't find an answer to this but will there be split-screen co-op campaign and if so will it be in little boxes like WaW/RE5?

Was watching a stream where they were walking through all the multiplayer maps on justin.tv, and then this pops up:

"We've reached the maximum number of streams for your country. To ensure 100% acces to all Justin.tv video, please purchase a premium account."

:S

Anyway, the multiplayer maps look awesome. Can't wait untill the 10th :D

He's doing all the spec-op missions now: http://nl.justin.tv/sirus7hevirus

Yeah homophobic slurs etc. are great marketing. So clever. It's not like we get enough of that from majority of players online. I'd expect something like this from Saint's Row. I mean what the hell?

I thought they would take some more serious approach in representing this game. Especially with scenes like the airport one. Getting some mixed feelings here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you realise that this game's primary audience is 15-35 year old males, don't you?

Rez said:
you realise that this game's primary audience is 15-35 year old males, don't you?

I do. But they (Activision?) rub it in my face a bit too much. It's not like that one ad is going to ruin the game for me. I just find it displeasing and I expected something bit more classy from Infinity Ward. I can't be the only one?

Mikey Jr. said:
Lol, if you get
tactical nuke
the match ends.

haha, I hate this game.

haha...yeah but at
kills in a row, that isn't too bad.

Unless you can get it from a supply drop. That would be some bullshit.

Top Bottom