• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
CultureClearance said:
It's coming out for ps3. Even if they had bad news for it they wouldn't tell you. Showing off the 360 version is like showing off the PS3 version only with different buttons. That press conference that microsoft paid for will help ps3 sales because it will help to create attention for the game.
I love the footage. I am very excited to see how their game turns out. My interest in seeing PS3 footage has nothing to do with fanboyism. It does, however, seem odd to me that unlike most multiplatform developers out there, IW has chosen to remain virtually silent about the non-360 version of this game. From Dead Space to Dirt 2, from Resident Evil 5 to Batman: Arkham Asylum, and so on, the multiplatform PR trend of late is to show off or at least comment on both console versions. If MS paid for this event, then I completely understand the lack of comments or footage of a competing console's version. But as the release date gets closer and IW continues to remain reticent, it just seems like a missed opportunity to promote their game to people who just want to see it in action. Again, if both versions are the same, just say so.

DoomGyver

Microsoft is going to do everything they can to get the casual audience to believe that Modern Warfare 2 is only coming to the xbox 360.
They will pound "xbox 360" and "Modern Warfare 2" into the brains of kiddies and casuals until their ears bleed. That's business. That's money.

Sony on the other hand is in a pinch right now, knows the game is going to sell well regardless so sees no reason to put money towards it.
In the end it's Activision who is in control of the marketing, not IW.

But I still can't comprehend why Activision wouldn't promote the PC or PS3 versions. Either they're not up to par or 'business' has tied their hands.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Full Recovery said:
But I still can't comprehend why Activision wouldn't promote the PC or PS3 versions. Either they're not up to par or 'business' has tied their hands.
In the age of Twitter, FB, message boards, YouTube; etc., I think it is safe to say that "business" is most definitely the limiting factor. While IW and Activision certainly know that the game will sell well across all platforms, MS and Activision/IW are certainly very cozy at this stage of the game. As someone who tries to make an informed decision about gaming purchases these days, I would love to see coverage of ALL platforms. Not seeing the video of the PS3 version is disconcerting, but the "business" side of this actually makes me want to buy the PS3 version. Because I know IW is good at what they do, I have no doubt that the PS3 version will be great.

CultureClearance said:
4minx88.gif

Wait what? How do you know this?

I think he speculating with regards to the perks. If you look at the lists perk 1 and 2 only have 5 each and perk 3 has 6 in total.(i believe) That being said, each tier has a few locked out and no one knows what they hold. Most of us would assume that claymores and C4 arent included since neither of those perks really "go" with the others in thier respective tiers. (remember cod4 tiers, x2 this, 2x that, that tier seemed to "fit")

However you also have to take into account that there have been MANY reports that killstreaks go up to 15. We can all see that in the killstreak photo shown earlier in this thread that it only goes up to 11. The first conclusion i can come to is that this build shown only has a portion of the actual game on show. Of course i also really loved claymores so i really want them in.

Plus theres two open slots on equipment, maybe they're equipment now?

Mooreberg

Interesting list of perks. Have they said anything about if any previous maps are going to be remade in this? I'd actually prefer new maps across the board, but people seem to like maps they are familiar with.

minx

CultureClearance said:
4minx88.gif

Wait what? How do you know this?

Church RvB said:
I think he speculating with regards to the perks. If you look at the lists perk 1 and 2 only have 5 each and perk 3 has 6 in total.(i believe) That being said, each tier has a few locked out and no one knows what they hold. Most of us would assume that claymores and C4 arent included since neither of those perks really "go" with the others in thier respective tiers. (remember cod4 tiers, x2 this, 2x that, that tier seemed to "fit")

However you also have to take into account that there have been MANY reports that killstreaks go up to 15. We can all see that in the killstreak photo shown earlier in this thread that it only goes up to 11. The first conclusion i can come to is that this build shown only has a portion of the actual game on show. Of course i also really loved claymores so i really want them in.

Plus theres two open slots on equipment, maybe they're equipment now?

What he said

"- They are currently looking very closely at steam for match making via online play"

god I hope they go through with it, I doubt they will though if they are just looking at it when release is so soon.

Gowans

My god I've been catching up watching the giant bomb video then the press demo presentaion.

Can not wait.

One odd thing that's bugging me tho is why dis they choose to seperate the kill streaks from the class builder (death streaks are in the class builder)?

Enosh

- They are currently looking very closely at steam for match making via online play

- They will be using the same type of master servers as Modern Warfare. They are not using GFW

wait, so there are dedicated servers and they are thinking about matchmaking via steam like the consoles have it?

minx88 said:
What he said

My guess is that c4 and/or claymores are in equipment and there are two classified slots still left in the equipment phase.
If there are claymores its safe to say you will get only 1 this time around.
You may get more than one c4 though.

Raxus

CultureClearance said:
My guess is that c4 and/or claymores are in equipment and there are two classified slots still left in the equipment phase.
If there are claymores its safe to say you will get only 1 this time around.
You may get more than one c4 though.
If I had to venture a guess I would say frags x3 got replaced with equipment x2

Gowans007 said:
One odd thing that's bugging me tho is why dis they choose to seperate the kill streaks from the class builder (death streaks are in the class builder)?

Interesting observation and based on that presentation video it does seem to appear that Killstreaks aren't class specific. (Although the Deathstreak is) Not sure why they would make that call unless they don't want you switching killstreaks within the game itself. I'm not sure why that would be the case though.

Maybe it's something they removed from that screen...although that seems a little unlikely to me for some reason.

DoomGyver

You can't swap out your secondary?

Watch the video at 8:12

He quickly switches to his AT4 and picks up a Barret 50cal, then switches from the Barret to his AT4.

wtf?

Gowans

Stoney Mason said:
Interesting observation and based on that presentation video it does seem to appear that Killstreaks aren't class specific. (Although the Deathstreak is) Not sure why they would make that call unless they don't want you switching killstreaks within the game itself. I'm not sure why that would be the case though.

Maybe it's something they removed from that screen...although that seems a little unlikely to me for some reason.

yeah I just found it odd that they would split the specifically Kill Streaks to outside of custom classes as you can only change when you die anyway and different kill streaks maybe more suitable to your set up per class.

I hope it's held within the class section in the final build, I'm hoping someone can get some clarification on this (or the possible reasons for this choice).

Man speaking of martyrdom.

Did anybody else get "grenade-ear" when they first started playing COD4 online? What I mean is, for the first few days after playing online for a good amount of time, did you start hearing the sound of grenades "pinging" around in your ears?

I remember the first day I played it online, I went to sleep that night with that sound ringing in my ears.:lol

J-Rzez

CultureClearance said:
and that's sony's fault and not infinity wards.
Microsoft is obviously investing themselves into the game with the e3 show and this recent presentation...sony isn't.

That was Sony's fault that an IW dev stated each platform will get their specific perk but the PS3 did not before?

Asmodai

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Martyrdom should be banished to the seventh circle of hell.

Fixed.

Oh, and "pro perks" from MW2 can go there as well. Better versions of balance influencing perks like stopping power for people who play 10 hours a day? No thanks.

Everything else looks super awesome, though. Which would make it all the more unfortunate if martyrdom, last stand and pro perks ruined it in hardcore.

Oh, and nice job on getting on Kotaku.

Btw I'm finally set about my plan of playing a bit of COD 4 in the evenings for a bit to get warmed up for MW 2.

Good Lord I suck at the moment. :lol

I'm super tentative and slow because I don't feel comfortable yet.

I know it's randomly mentioned throughout the thread of people looking to play with so if you want to add me my Gamertag is Cavalierreeche.

But be warned. I stink for the time being.

Stoney Mason said:
Btw I'm finally set about my plan of playing a bit of COD 4 in the evenings for a bit to get warmed up for MW 2.

Good Lord I suck at the moment. :lol

I'm super tentative and slow because I don't feel comfortable yet.

I know it's randomly mentioned throughout the thread of people looking to play with so if you want to add me my Gamertag is Cavalierreeche.

But be warned. I stink for the time being.

I will add you, I have renewed my original account and it is back: niz88, it would be fun to play, I am from Sweden so I don't know when is evening for you guys but I have from now till 6 hours a head to play ^^.

Kibbles

I posted a comment in one of the GT vids, half joking, saying "Why are there trails on the grenades, you don't see trails in real life when you through a nade? ;p" (with that smiley face and all.) I think all these videos look insane, really looking forward to playing this. Apparently, one guy took me seriously and sent me the following message. I'm honored he took a half hour of his time to send this to me. :lol

why are there perks then? You don't use perks in real life. why are there kill streaks then? You don't get kill streaks in real life. why do you spawn over and over again? You can't spawn in real life. Why are the guns' stats relatively balanced? Some of those guns are much better than the others in the real world. Why is there a perk that keeps you off sensors? That isn't like real life. Why can you only carry one nade, when unused ones should be on bodies? That isn't realistic. Why do you automatically pick up ammo when you walk over it? That isn't realistic. Why is the amount of ammo you have not separated into a set number of magazines? Thats not realistic. Why does capturing a crate get you a remote controlled missile? Thats not realistic. How come you can hide in a corner after being shot, and return to perfect health unscathed? That isn't realistic. Why does blood splatter on a non-existent camera, instead of bluring your vision realistically? That isn't what its like to get blood in your eye. Why do you need a perk to have more than one attachment on your gun? That isn't realistic. Why is there a deathstreak that allows you to steal the class of the person who killed you? That isn't realistic. Why can you see who killed you, through the killer's eyes? That isn't realistic. Why does getting shot in the leg not affect your speed? That isn't realistic. Why does getting shot in the arm not affect your aim or your ability to shoot a gun? That isn't realistic. Why does a grenade and an arrow show up when a grenade is near? That isn't realistic. Why is there a floating name above teamates heads? That isn't realistic. Why do you get points when you kill someone? That isn't realistic. Why does going from the standing position to the prone positon and back take a fraction of the time it would take in real life? That isn't very realistic. Why aren't there silenced sniper rifles in multiplayer? That isn't very realistic. Why can you have a heartbeat sensor on your gun? That isn't very realistic. Why do you need to select Akimbo to dual weild? That isn't very realistic. Why can a perk increase the damage of your gun? That isn't very realistic. Why can you set a spawnpoint and magically appear there after you are killed? That isn't very realistic. Why can't you see your legs? That isn't very realistic. Why doesn't the camera shake when you move? That isn't very realistic. Why can you choose between a few dozen guns to play with? Any gun would be more realistic. Why, if you are fighting for a government, can fight with any weapon you choose, rather than a government standard issued set of gear? That isn't very realistic. Why can't you carry a frag grenade, an assault rifle, and a riot sheild all at once? That isn't very realistic. Why do you need to complete challenges to have access to gun attachments, abilities, etc.? That isn't very realistic. Why are you locked into a specific area for battle? The fact that you can't run anywhere is unrealistic. Why can you see in night vision without night vision goggles (COD4)? That isn't very realistic. Why do you run at the same speed over all terain? That isn't very realistic. Why does a body stay intact perfectly if you knife it over and over again? That isn't very realistic. Why can you push a button to see the amount of people you have killed, help killed, and died, as well as all of this information about your team members, your team as a whole, and the enemy team members, and team as a whole? That isn't very realistic. Why can't you shoot yourself? That isn't very realistic. Why would you ever want to run around carrying a flag, for no reason, while risking your life? That isn't very realistic. Why can't you drop your gun without picking another up? That isn't very realistic. Where do you keep your magazines? That isn't very realistic. Why can't you teamkill in non-hardcore? That isn't very realistic. Why can you look directly at the sun? That isn't very realistic. Why do you need to get headshots to put camo on your gun? That isn't very realistic. Why is a battle one when on team kills enough of the other team? That isn't very realistic. Why are the soldiers silent during battle? That isn't very realistic. Why is nobody in charge of your group of soldiers? That isn't very realistic. Why are there no women soldiers? That isn't very realistic. Why don't guns every jam or break, even after huge explosions? That isn't very realistic. Why aren't there multiple firing modes, or a safety on the guns? That isn't very realistic. Why aren't there vehicles? That isn't very realistic. Why are knives automatically one hit kills on any part of the body? That isn't very realistic. How does the UAV magically see through buildings, and doesn't show you anything untill you kill three people in a row? That isn't realistic.

If Call of Duty was trying to be as realistic as possible, it would be a terrible game. While the grenades don't need trails, IW knows what they are doing, and they wouldn't put trails in if they didn't have a purpose. I would guess it is for balance issues (to keep nades from being totally inconspicuous) or to alert you that it is a fragmentation grenade, rather than a special grenade.

Kibbles said:
I posted a comment in one of the GT vids, half joking, saying "Why are there trails on the grenades, you don't see trails in real life when you through a nade? ;p" (with that smiley face and all.) I think all these videos look insane, really looking forward to playing this. Apparently, one guy took me seriously and sent me the following message. I'm honored he took a half hour of his time to send this to me. :lol

Wow. That guy really took the time to write all that. Christ.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Looks like IW's still keeping a lot of secrets regarding the multiplayer. Please god, oh god god god, let there be a Replay System similar to Halo 3/Uncharted 2. How amazing would it be to record those epic moments and share them with friends in MW2...

steadfast

10th Prestige Mode unlocks new perk: "Wall of Text - Confound and distract your enemies by boxing them in with a colossal wall of text while you sneak up behind them!"

Kibbles said:

Holy Shit.. Long reply for one comment..

Also really nice video, I just bought my first 360 just for this game, I have been playing for a while CoD4, and I´m getting really hype for all the Info

Top Bottom