• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Snapshot King said:
Also, to the guy complaining about how it won't play like COD4. Well...isn't that the point? It's the sequel. They want to change it up. Personally I adore the change as I hated the pistol dynamic in the first and am psyched to be able to regularly use shotguns. Also, since the bigger weapons'll be slower to draw, there's nothing stopping you from keeping your pistol arrangement.

I understand this, and I also know it's going to be a ton of fun. But I think the changes they're making are changing fundamentals of CoD4's gameplay. I’m glad they’re going for changes that make it feel like a separate game, and not just adding content, but I really disagree with the secondary weapon system.

As I said, I really enjoy the dynamics of having a secondary pistol. I will, ultimately, reserve my judgement until I play. I just really hope it doesn’t play like how it’s sounding; super soldier tank wars. I want it to play different enough to offer some new variety to the original, but I don’t want them to lose sight of what made the original so much fun. If it’s going to feel like a totally different game it might as well be a new franchise.

EatChildren said:
I understand this, and I also know it's going to be a ton of fun. But I think the changes they're making are changing fundamentals of CoD4's gameplay. I’m glad they’re going for changes that make it feel like a separate game, and not just adding content, but I really disagree with the secondary weapon system.

As I said, I really enjoy the dynamics of having a secondary pistol. I will, ultimately, reserve my judgement until I play. I just really hope it doesn’t play like how it’s sounding; super soldier tank wars. I want it to play different enough to offer some new variety to the original, but I don’t want them to lose sight of what made the original so much fun. If it’s going to feel like a totally different game it might as well be a new franchise.

But it IS a new franchise? You see Call of Duty anywhere on that box? :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Snapshot King said:
But it IS a new franchise? You see Call of Duty anywhere on that box? :lol

:p. As I said, I'm sure I'll love it as I trust IW. I'm just a stickler for really solid mechanics in games and I hate it when sequels ditch them completely in favour of entirely new gameplay.

We shall see.

EatChildren

Snapshot King said:
But the old mechanic is still there!

Not the gameplay mechanics of managing a pistol and your primary. Well, it is, but it's being drastically changed. I like the way the game played when you had to have a pistol only as a secondary weapon (perk aside).

Nizz

DenogginizerOS said:
Well, there was a special 360 event recently. I am not trying to start anything, but I am just curious if they are planning on giving the PS3 version some spotlight.
Yeah, it would be nice to at least get a video, something showing the PS3 version.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
This game looks AMAZING. Man....and I still play COD4 almost every day. Sigh. This game is going to suck up so many hours. I need to become independently wealthy so work doesn't get in the way of my play time.

So - I thought for sure there would be something akin to "kill-chaining"...where you get kills within seconds of each other...I guess in "non-hardcore" mode, it would be while the score for your previous kill (+10...or in MW2's case, +100) was still up on the screen. Or is that in the game?

Full Recovery said:
Robert Bowling took the time to name the customized class "Fear" during the presentation.
ranl10.jpg

lol

So from this picture, it looks like you can have 2 different grenade types? Can you choose any two or is it like primary/secondary types?

TheOMan said:
This game looks AMAZING. Man....and I still play COD4 almost every day. Sigh. This game is going to suck up so many hours. I need to become independently wealthy so work doesn't get in the way of my play time.

So - I thought for sure there would be something akin to "kill-chaining"...where you get kills within seconds of each other...I guess in "non-hardcore" mode, it would be while the score for your previous kill (+10...or in MW2's case, +100) was still up on the screen. Or is that in the game?

I saw a video of someone that got a double kill. Big ol' "DOUBLE KILL" showed up on the screen and I think he got some extra xp points for it. Other than that I don't know.

God's Beard said:
So from this picture, it looks like you can have 2 different grenade types? Can you choose any two or is it like primary/secondary types?

Not sure what you're referring to...the left object (tactical insertion) is equipment. Deadly grenades (semtek and frags) are found in the equipment side. On the right are the special grenade that includes flash, stun and smoke.

J-Rzez

DenogginizerOS said:
Well, there was a special 360 event recently. I am not trying to start anything, but I am just curious if they are planning on giving the PS3 version some spotlight.

:lol

... :lol

PS3 owners are still waiting for their promised "perk" (as said by a dev in an interview) from CoD4. The PS3 will probably receive little to no spotlight from these guys, again.

CultureClearance said:
Not sure what you're referring to...the left object (tactical insertion) is equipment. Deadly grenades (semtek and frags) are found in the equipment side. On the right are the special grenade that includes flash, stun and smoke.

ok, that makes sense. I never played the first one so I'm trying to get a grip on how this works.

J-Rzez said:

PS3 owners are still waiting for their promised "perk" (as said by a dev in an interview) from CoD4. The PS3 will probably receive little to no spotlight from these guys, again.

and that's sony's fault and not infinity wards.
Microsoft is obviously investing themselves into the game with the e3 show and this recent presentation...sony isn't.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
J-Rzez said:

Pretty dumb on their part if true. A pretty sizeable number of people play CoD4 on PS3.

careful

DenogginizerOS said:
Pretty dumb on their part if true. A pretty sizeable number of people play CoD4 on PS3.
I don't mind all the previews being on 360. The game will still rock just as hard on PS3, so who gives a fuck. DLC is only timed-exclusive so that's also a non-issue.

DenogginizerOS said:
No, it's not dumb. It's business. It's called playing ball.
It's coming out for the ps3. It will sell well. Sony doesn't want to spend money on getting enhanced sales. Microsoft does. What the hell does infinity ward or activision care which platform you buy the game? Think.

You actually think activision would spend their own money just to show people that yes, the game is coming out for the ps3 and it's the same game with the same info. Wow would that get a lot of press pull wouldn't it?

DenogginizerOS

CultureClearance said:
No, it's not dumb. It's business. It's called playing ball.
It's coming out for the ps3. It will sell well. Sony doesn't want to spend money on getting enhanced sales. Microsoft does. What the hell does infinity ward or activision care which platform you buy the game? Think.
I would simply like to see a video showing the PS3 version. I don't think that is asking much from IW. At the very least, it would be nice to hear from IW that the PS3 version is running great and on par with the x360. As you said, they don't care which version I get, so why not at least comment on the ps3 version to help build sales for people who don't plan on getting the x360 version; that, too, is good business.

Is there really a large difference between seeing it in action on a PS3 vs an Xbox? If this was the first time out for the franchise I can understand apprehension, but didn't COD4 turn out fine on both consoles? With that precedent I wouldn't care really which system I see gameplay on, just as long as I get it.

Nizz

DenogginizerOS said:
I would simply like to see a video showing the PS3 version. I don't think that is asking much from IW. At the very least, it would be nice to hear from IW that the PS3 version is running great and on par with the x360. As you said, they don't care which version I get, so why not at least comment on the ps3 version to help build sales for people who don't plan on getting the x360 version; that, too, is good business.
It would be cool to see some video of the PS3 version in action. Yes. Hopefully a new perk video will be showcased using the PS3 version, like COD4's C4 perk video last time.

DoomGyver

Wow, this is some juicy info.

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18475

FPSadmin said:
Below is information from a very quick interview with Infinity Ward's Jason West. It should be noted that this was a 100% console only event, and Jason was kind enought to sit down and talk PC shop. He and the rest of the IW staff where very busy with interviews from large media sites.

The big questions are Mod tools, dedicated server bits as well as Linux support.

- They are all on the list however as of right now it looks like they will not be in the box or be released on day 1.

How well will IW support the PC side of the game, once released

- They are committed to the PC side of the game and will support it as IW has supported their past titles.

- Their co-op special forces mode will be invite only, no dedicated servers for co-op

- They are currently looking very closely at steam for match making via online play

- They will be using the same type of master servers as Modern Warfare. They are not using GFW

- There will be DLC however it's up to their parent company in regards to how DLC will be distributed (paid, delayed, or sponsored) - nothing has been decieded yet but they are looking to support MW2 for a very long time via DLC

About admin features

- The bad news is there will be a lot of console type features, which Jason did not go into detail. There was not much in regards to dedicated server type features. He did say "some cool features" but was more or less talking about console side of the game and what they would port over to the PC

I asked the silent treatment towards the PC side of this game.

- I was told it was because they are all hands on deck to get the console game into Microsoft Xbox 360 certification. Once that is done, they will be working on the PC side. It sounded like there was not much done as of yet.... hello the game going to be released soon.

Based on the answer I got above, I asked about the release date for the PC version.

- I was told as of today, it's on schedule and they don't see a delay.

Will there be a console or PC demo/beta

- No and No. Neither version will have any type of demo. Jason said, they feel their customers want them to spend all their time on the game and not distracted by a demo/beta

That's about it. I had about 5-8 minutes with Jason as he was very very busy. I also tried to make the round and talk to all the staff manning the console stations. Over and over I was told this was a console only event and they had no comment in regards to anything PC.

PC gurus.. is it normal to wait so long to start compiling and bug testing the PC version?

and What the F does this mean for the PS3 version.. They say that both consoles have two dedicated teams.. it's not a port right? (ps3-360?)

a bit lttp on the GT videos, there is respawn time right? It seems everytime he gets killed, he was able to repawn instantly, videos were edited right?

Rapping Granny said:
a bit lttp on the GT videos, there is respawn time right? It seems everytime he gets killed, he was able to repawn instantly, videos were edited right?

There is no respawn time in normal playlists. like in COD 4. There is probably respawn time in hardcore playlists just like in COD 4.

Calen

Dynamic3 said:
As for the ragdoll, I know it's in there for bodies that are already dead
It actually transitions from the death animation into ragdoll, so they're fully into physics before they hit the ground (and they keep the velocities and such from the animation.) Makes it less obvious they're ragdolling.. which was more or less the point :)

careful

Full Recovery said:
Wow, this is some juicy info.

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18475

PC gurus.. is it normal to wait so long to start compiling and bug testing the PC version?

and What the F does this mean for the PS3 version.. They say that both consoles have two dedicated teams.. it's not a port right? (ps3-360?)
As PedroLumpy said, with the precedent set by COD4 on PS3, I really wouldn't worry about the PS3 version. It should pretty much be the same the 360 version and come out on time. There's been like a gazillion pre-orders for it already, no way it gets delayed.

DoomGyver

What puts fear in me is when he says "all hands on deck to get the console game into Microsoft Xbox 360 certification."

That means everyone, including all teams.

Calen

Full Recovery said:

I think his comment was misunderstood a bit - we're not just starting to compile and test the PC version. It's existed alongside the PS3 and 360 versions the entire project. He just meant the console versions are our focus right this moment because they have a longer lead time than the PC version does - they have to be perfect sooner.

DenogginizerOS

Calen said:
I think his comment was misunderstood a bit - we're not just starting to compile and test the PC version. It's existed alongside the PS3 and 360 versions the entire project. He just meant the console versions are our focus right this moment because they have a longer lead time than the PC version does - they have to be perfect sooner.
So, since we have your attention, can you comment on how things are going for the PS3 version of MW2?

careful

Full Recovery said:
What puts fear in me is when he says "all hands on deck to get the console game into Microsoft Xbox 360 certification."

That means everyone, including all teams.
I guess you could interpret it that way.
But I feel some comfort knowing that this is not their first game on PS3. The engine is already mature on PS3, so there should be no major issues porting/developing. If you listen to the GiantBomb interview, it seems like they're just trying to fix as many "smaller" bugs as possible right now. That's probably on the 360 version given the comments you posted, but I would also assume some of the bugs fixes will be easily translated to PS3 while others are more platform specific. So technically, there should be less bugs to fix on PS3 (unless I'm wrong and they're testing both at the same time and fix the PS3 code as they go).

DoomGyver

Calen said:
I have to take your word for it because that's all I have. It would be nice to get some visual confirmation for both the PC and PS3 versions.

DenogginizerOS

Misterinenja said:
Can't wait for zoom in comparisons...
As long as both versions are running at 60FPS, have good stability online, and are feature-equal sans DLC timed exclusivity, I don't think zoom comparisons will matter much.

Calen

Full Recovery said:
I have to take your word for it because that's all I have. It would be nice to get some visual confirmation for both the PC and PS3 versions.
C'mon. We're good, but we're not so good that we could *start compiling the PC version now* and have it done soon enough to make our ship date. Common sense would seem to be on my side here.

DenogginizerOS

Calen said:
C'mon. We're good, but we're not so good that we could *start compiling the PC version now* and have it done soon enough to make our ship date. Common sense would seem to be on my side here.
True. We know you are good. Now, since so much effort is being on the console versions, how is development gone thus far for the PS3 version? Is it at the same stage of bug squashing as the X360 version?

DenogginizerOS said:

It's coming out for ps3. Even if they had bad news for it they wouldn't tell you. Showing off the 360 version is like showing off the PS3 version only with different buttons. That press conference that microsoft paid for will help ps3 sales because it will help to create attention for the game.

Hopefully the PS3 version will be equal to the 360 one. Only one can hope for such a thing and if that wasn't true they sure as hell aren't going to advertise it.
It's quite obvious without them literally telling anyone that the 360 is the main platform and is getting the most love. Not the PC and not the PS3. What does that mean for the ps3 and PC versions? Who knows, but it's not going to be awesome news that is good for them to release ahead of time.

Marketing will always tell you the good news while common sense and simple observations will tell you the potential bad.
Infinity ward and activision are busy trying to sell the game and create overall hype for the title...not to a specific platform. Note that you as a viewer need to be very observant to figure out what platform the videos are on. They're not advertising the 360 unless you think pressing B rather than Triangle is some kind of advertisement. If you ask, they tell you "yes this is the 360 build," but that's it.
Let Sony and Microsoft try to persuade you which platform to purchase. It's not infinity wards fight to fight and they shouldn't give a damn about fanboys and their weird niche interests. If you're a console fanboy and you want more ps3 love from a multiplatform title, then beef with Sony. They're the ones selling consoles and should be trying to give the game's an association with their console. It's the devs and publishers job to sell the game to you and then just let you know where you can buy it and what you need to do so...be it a PC, a gameboy, a 360 or whatever. At least that goes for multi-plat games.

Arcipello

Full Recovery said:

Well the game is made on PC's to start with so so don't worry about the PC version being a shoddy port of the xbox game, that's not going to happen.

Arcipello said:
Well the game is made on PC's to start with so so don't worry about the PC version being a shoddy port of the xbox game, that's not going to happen.

That's not exactly how it works, which is why there have been many many multiplat games with horrible buggy pc releases. All games are made on a pc doesn't mean they run on the pc. You make it on the PC then port it over to the dev kit and from the dev kit you run the game and test it. No PC.exe required.

DoomGyver

Calen said:
"Optimizing" would have been a better choice of words on my part, but it seems as if your hands are tied by 'business.'

It wouldn't be hard to tape the next video on a different version, I mean C'mon, you guys are so good.

Top Bottom