• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MOH: Warfighter's sales disappoint EA, mock review firm suggested game was better

Lancehead

[...] the company was not pleased with critics, saying that EA's own internal testing led them to think that Warfighter was much better than the reception it got from critics.

Maybe send out questionnaires to choose reviewers next time?

They should maybe try and pursue the 'realistic' approach a bit more. It's been a while since we've had a R6/similar game - and Christ knows when that new one is arriving - so there is that slot they could try and fit into.

The 'new' MoH isn't helped either because BF is handling CoD just fine on its own. I think that is a consistent mindset as well, as my younger brother said he wouldn't bother with MoH as it looks like a pared down BF3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I saw tons of ads for this game on TV.

I haven't seen one.

Other than everyone buying and hating the first, can't figure out why preorders would be down so badly. The multiplayer in the first was trashola but I loved the SP. I hated the SP in this one. They also didn't stay true to their realistic and reverent bent that they promised in the first. Well, as close to realistic and reverent as a military shooter can be.

I think the technology change just crushed the game. They didn't have time to make the game.

WWII all played out

Modern warfare all played out

Time for Cyberpunk shooters!

Or you know maybe innovate and come up with a new experience that surprises us. The problem with EA is that their burning earlier in the generation on the stock market have turned them too risk adverse, they should have taken a middle ground, but they transformed into the Disney of gaming, having no Pixar.

v1oz

Still not sure why this franchise exists? What does it bring to the table that Call of Duty and Battlefield do not?
Medal of Honour pre-dates both games. Medal of Honour is in fact the originator of the Call of Duty franchise, Spielberg was even involved in the early games which is why the series is highly scripted and cinematic.

I don't know about the new one, but the first one had a great SP. Hater gonna hate, etc...

I did liked the single player of the 1st one a lot, haven't played the 2nd one yet but some reviewers complained that they didn't expanded on that formula and went the COD derivative way.

Omni

EA should just release a new Battlefield every two years, with a full expansion peppered in-between instead of MOH.

They really shouldn't - The franchise would turn to shit. Hell, look what's happened with BF3 because of EA's pursuit of CoD's fan base.

Linkup

Medal of Honor: Future Warfighter

Halfway through the SP campaign Tier 1 finds out they are cyborgs, get jetpacks, and learn to fly all day. A rogue drone comes out of nowhere and kills everyone. Heck, they will call the last DLC Rogue Drone.

BlazinAm

I haven't seen one.

Other than everyone buying and hating the first, can't figure out why preorders would be down so badly. The multiplayer in the first was trashola but I loved the SP. I hated the SP in this one. They also didn't stay true to their realistic and reverent bent that they promised in the first. Well, as close to realistic and reverent as a military shooter can be.

I think the technology change just crushed the game. They didn't have time to make the game.

I seen some during some pre-season basketball and baseball playoff. I live in the New York area so I guess I am overwhelmed with ads.

Randdalf

I agree.

It was a solid 7 or 8/10 SP campaign for me so the very low scores were a surprise.

I think in the context of a CoD style game it was that good, but put up against single player experiences in other genres and even other shooters, it's just mediocre.

Derrick01

Banned
Looks like EA needs to re-do their internal testing methods then. Or just hire RPS if they want to know how their brain dead linear shooter is progressing.

Effect

If people want to play COD, they'll play COD.

Protip: don't make COD clones.

This. There is a reason why people play Battlefield. It offers a different experience to Call of Duty. The say way Halo offers a different experience to the other two as well. Chasing that Call of Duty money is fools gold.

Is there really a place for Medal of Honor I wonder in how they're trying to push it? All the spots are filled in the modern military fps I think be it CoD, Battlefield, or Arma if you want something even harsher. Why not make a third person tactical military shooter ala Ghost Recon instead of of a first person shooter? There aren't many games in this genre. Why EA insist on having multiple first person shooters never made sense. Not only does it saturate the market overall but their own section of the market even more.

sk3tch

This. There is a reason why people play Battlefield. It offers a different experience to Call of Duty. The say way Halo offers a different experience to the other two as well. Chasing that Call of Duty money is fools gold.

Is there really a place for Medal of Honor I wonder in how they're trying to push it? All the spots are filled be it CoD, Battlefield, or Arma if you want something even harsher. Why not make a third person tactical shooter ala Ghost Recon instead of of a first person. Why EA insist on having multiple first person shooters never made sense. Not only does it saturate the market overall but their own section of the market even more.

It's not even a CoD clone. Did you play the multiplayer? It's very different. See my post on the 1st page of this thread if you're looking for some reasons why.

To me, it just seems that there are not enough hardcore FPS fanboys on forums like NeoGAF to defend these games versus other genres (RPGs, strategy, etc.) - because I think people (in general) see a game with guns and bros and assume it's the same as every other game of the ilk. I understand that - but FPS fans appreciate the differences, especially in multiplayer. These are games we play for months not just weeks. A 7 hour campaign (or less) doesn't even matter. I still haven't played the campaign for CoD:MW3 or BF3 yet I've put in over 300 hours total with both...

It's not even a CoD clone. Did you play the multiplayer? It's very different. See my post on the 1st page of this thread if you're looking for some reasons why.

To me, it just seems that there are not enough hardcore FPS fanboys on forums like NeoGAF to defend these games versus other genres (RPGs, strategy, etc.) - because I think people (in general) see a game with guns and bros and assume it's the same as every other game of the ilk. I understand that - but FPS fans appreciate the differences, especially in multiplayer. These are games we play for months not just weeks. A 7 hour campaign (or less) doesn't even matter. I still haven't played the campaign for CoD:MW3 or BF3 yet I've put in over 300 hours total with both...

The only good thing about the MOH 2010 game was the campaign, that's what people remember and acknowledged as a strength. EA fucked up going after the COD market, focusing on their weakness instead of building the sequel around its strength.

The only good thing about the MOH 2010 game was the campaign, that's what people remember and acknowledged as a strength. EA fucked up going after the COD market, focusing on their weakness instead of building the sequel around its strength.

The Multi in MOH 2010 was an insane sniper fest. :(

ekim

Our internal testing and mock reviews indicated that the game is better than the actual score that we have right now, and we believe that it is. However, we are seeing some folks out there that just don't like the game.

lol

Yep, the single player campaign was a very focused and carefully crafted affair, realistic and entertaining. I felt it was too short, but maybe it's a symptom of how much I liked that type of experience. Leave it to EA to focus group it to tired crap.

sk3tch

I can agree with that...but I'm focusing on MoH:Warfighter here. I did not like MoH 2010's MP. I have not played either games SP. I only play MP. So this is the point I'm coming from...as a MP game I think MoH:Warfighter did A LOT to differentiate itself from CoD/BF.

Too soon.

Make it like 4. A Battlefield game can survive very well with updates and expansions.

EA's on Weenerz side here- BF4 beta is due this time next year, game can't be much further away, so unfortunately Battlefield every two years is likely reality now!

Really, the best idea would be DLC/expansions for the last "core" BF game, accompanied by fun side things like Bad Company.

Mock reviews are funny cause the reviewer takes the time to tell you what points should be emphasized in the promotion of the game. Didn't know they had a clue on how to market videogames?! And the mock review will sometimes bash something that other reviewers will not see as a standout issue. Personally, i think it's more of a tool for publishers(it's still fun to see on the dev side) and it's also done really late in the cycle of the game. I don't think publishers should put too much fate in those.

I can agree with that...but I'm focusing on MoH:Warfighter here. I did not like MoH 2010's MP. I have not played either games SP. I only play MP. So this is the point I'm coming from...as a MP game I think MoH:Warfighter did A LOT to differentiate itself from CoD/BF.

But how did they communicated this to consumers? Exclusive beta only on Xbox live. No multi-player demo for PS3 and PC. The advertising was based on the single player. They failed because they are too risk adverse. If the multi was good, have that available on all platforms, show it on the ads, etc.

diamount

Banned
I do find it funny that MW3 got high scores despite it following the same formula. Warfighter follows the same formula but with better visuals and has a less than stellar reception. Just proves that reviews don't mean a goddamn thing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Still not sure why this franchise exists? What does it bring to the table that Call of Duty and Battlefield do not?

If they were smart, they'd have Medal of Honor as their big campaign/single player game, and have Battlefield coming out as a giant multiplayer deal the next year, and alternate.

Instead they try to have every game be both, like Call of Duty, and it never works quite right.

sk3tch

But how did they communicated this to consumers? Exclusive beta only on Xbox live. No multi-player demo for PS3 and PC. The advertising was based on the single player. They failed because they are too risk adverse. If the multi was good, have that available on all platforms, show it on the ads, etc.

And that's my point. I guess I am just frustrated at people bitching that the game sucked. Sure, there may be specific components that are not up to par (single player) but the multiplayer is fantastic. So, marketing f'd up...who knows. Maybe it's more of a problem that most gaming journalists don't enjoy MP as much as SP. SP is given too high of a weight in games like this, IMO. I understand there are those that really enjoy SP games...but in this specific FPS genre (BF, CoD, MoH) - 6 player SP and 100+ hour MP is where it's at. I just think it is disproportionately weighted in reviews.

I'm not saying this isn't EA's fault but I am saying that the game is friggin' great.

May16

I would like a job at a mock review firm.

I'd stealth get a game critic job at a major site, but under a pen-name so as to not have my cover blown. I'd give stuff certain mock reviews, and then publish reviews with really similar comments and scores and point them out to clients and be like "See! SEE! Now who told you this was going to happen? Who told you? Who called that one? Yeah...."

~Walk out with bag of money~

MDSLKTR

Medal of honor needs to go back to ww2.
Battlefield stays in the modern warfare.
Respawn new franchise for future warfare.

(they will all be modern times shooters, thank you based ea focus groups)

How could any mock reviewer suggest this was a good game?
It's an ugly Call of Duty clone with terrible driving levels and one of the most insulting stories in a while, there's little of worth in it.

I liked a few of the Medal of Honors for the PS2 era, but didn't touch the last Medal of Honor: Linkin Park Edition, and probably will not play this one until it drops below $15.

It feels like they have too many pans in the oven here. They are trying to make a "moving" / "monumental" single player game, a CoD-style multiplayer, working on trying to get that Gun Club off the ground. I knew this was not going to end well when Dice had to take over their multiplayer, and Linkin Park had to drop their beats on the last game... It just seemed sad.

Aaron

I do find it funny that MW3 got high scores despite it following the same formula. Warfighter follows the same formula but with better visuals and has a less than stellar reception. Just proves that reviews don't mean a goddamn thing.
Just because two cooks follow the same recipe doesn't mean one doesn't end up tasting like shit. Though seriously MW3 got flack for running the formula into the ground. It's obvious a game following the same pattern six months later is going to get a harsher reception.

I tried so hard to stop a friend from buying this disaster. I showed him impressions from neogaf, reviews. He agreed with me, nodded at the right places. I tried diverting him to other games like sleepy doggies or dishonored.

He went straight on buying the game anyway and even tried halfheartedly to hide the fact from me. lol

Jeez, dont remind me. There was that one Afghan map where the snipers had such good cover up on the ridge that they if they were fast enough they could take out the other team as they respawned without fear of ever being hit.

The single player was so good though, the mission where you had to wait for the chopper to arrive while the Taliban was increasing it's numbers down the mountain was so exciting and powerful.
There's nothing like that in Warfighter, the last two levels are just pure 80's action BS.

Kade

MW3 was criticized for being more of the same but was really polished so it got a pass. MoH: Warfighter was the breaking point where everyone was like "Okay, please fuck off, this is getting ridiculous". If Black Ops 2 proves to be nothing more than an expansion pack + balance patch and is well reviewed, then maybe your argument will have merit.

Don't you mean MW3 got lower scores and lower sales than previous entries?

....also, are you saying Warfighter has better visuals than MW3? lol.

The trick of releasing a poor man's COD a few weeks before COD isn't working anymore, EA. People aren't as unquenchably fevered for cod like they use to. This is what happens when a genre loses its heat: only one or maybe two franchises survive for the long term, and it's always the biggest franchise.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I wish reviewers would hold BF/CoD to the same standards they seem to be holding this game to. We'll see when Blops 2 launches, but it seems the media just has a grudge against Warfighter.

MP plays out like a truer sequel to CoD4 than either of the MW sequels. Focus on gunplay and teamwork, you have great maps, and you have streak awards that are great and varied but unlike MW2/3, they don't dominate the games and sway the outcome of each match. DC did a great job there.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I guess I'm the only person in America that wants another Medal of Honor like Airborne.

madmackem

I agree.

It was a solid 7 or 8/10 SP campaign for me so the very low scores were a surprise.

Agree with this, its a 7-8/10 game. The low scores are people jumping on the bandwagon imho, its no more broke than the last cod or bf games were in sp. I do hope if blops 2 has the scripted stuff and wack a mole shooting like most cods have in the past then it is also brought to task for it.

Makoto

Agree with this, its a 7-8/10 game. The low scores are people jumping on the bandwagon imho, its no more broke than the last cod or bf games were in sp. I do hope if blops 2 has the scripted stuff and wack a mole shooting like most cods have in the past then it is also brought to task for it.
But what if BO2 does it in a more exciting and engaging way?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, why did Warfighter put their tutorial after a mission where players had already experienced the mechanics that it would later try to teach?

Top Bottom