• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MOH: Warfighter's sales disappoint EA, mock review firm suggested game was better

RedSwirl

Remember when EA was good?

I just want another Def Jam FFNY, or an NBA Street.

C'mon EA.

We even hated EA back then, and looking back now a part of me misses last gen EA. I dunno man.

On the one hand, this gen they shipped Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and Alice: Madness Returns. On the other hand, lats gen they gave us the first two Def Jam games, NBA Street, the good SSX games, some good Bond games, etc.

i think it's just EA's way of releasing a game to combat CoD every year.

But i say they should just scrap MoH and focus on releasing a solid Battlefield title/expansion every 2-3 years.

if they scrap MoH, they'll just release a new Battlefield game every year. you should pay for MoH3 to be good!!!! assuming they haven't already decided to scrap the series...

sk3tch

I can't believe people are still trying to say that Medal of Honor was a martyr for genre fatigue with MMS games.

Did they even play it?

It is substantially worse than any mainline Call of Duty game ever and slightly worse than Battlefield 3's campaign. Unlike Battlefield 3, MoH doesn't have a phenomenal multiplayer component to save it.

I'm not sure what you're playing man, but the multiplayer is fun as hell. What is your definition of quality MP these days?

Jawmuncher

EA should learn it's not good to rush stuff.
I love how they try to blame everyone but themselves like they didn't know it was bad.
EA you even prevented review copies from going out until launch day because you knew it was.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I can't believe people are still trying to say that Medal of Honor was a martyr for genre fatigue with MMS games.

Did they even play it?

It is substantially worse than any mainline Call of Duty game ever and slightly worse than Battlefield 3's campaign. Unlike Battlefield 3, MoH doesn't have a phenomenal multiplayer component to save it.
Reviewers kind of glossed over the MP by saying that it's not as good as BF and CoD. Which is starting to become an irritating trend, because there are some really interesting ideas and mechanics being introduced in the MP space that reviewers never even bother to acknowledge because they're not in BF or CoD. I had more fun with the MP in Crysis 2 than I did with the last 5 years of CoD games.

remnant

Banned
The game isn't bad. it's just average in a genre that demands AAA production value. Combine that with critics that want to trash this genre and hence MoH warfighter. The perfect middle of the road game that everyone can dump on to look credible.

sleepykyo

The game isn't bad. it's just average in a genre that demands AAA production value. Combine that with critics that want to trash this genre and hence MoH warfighter. The perfect middle of the road game that everyone can dump on to look credible.

Really? Guess activist reviewers is going to become a meme at this rate.

Cake Boss

Banned
Only got yourself to blame, what's the fucking point of having both BF3 and MOH, and not to mention Respawn's next game. You could have used a fraction of that budget for a Mirrors Edge 2 or used the MOH franchise as an experimental game trying different game mechanics with a smaller budget and seeing what sticks.

madmackem

Who was that writer before that said Medal of Honor was comparable to Call of Duty in quality. Show him this video.

You put cod on easy you can run about melee killing everything too, as for the slow mo door breaching hasnt that been in most of the cod games to date. You can make any game look bad as fuck if you want to break it, i just hope cod blops 2 is held to these new higher standards.

antitrop

You put cod on easy you can run about melee killing everything too, as for the slow mo door breaching hasnt that been in most of the cod games to date. You can make any game look bad as fuck if you want to break it, i just hope cod blops 2 is held to these new higher standards.
Don't hold your breath.

demolitio

Go to the Korean War with the series to truly give people something new and untouched but still similar to WWII in terms of weaponry.

Just give us something new and keep the attention to detail.

The idea of mock reviews is hilarious. Is this normal? Do they pay the mock reviewer? Is it an outside party. I just don't see a situation where a team develops a game for a year or two and then they ask someone for their opinion and they would actually say "uhh this game sucks".

The COD franchise set FPS soooo far back this generation. The result was stagnant innovation in the form of shallow online fragfests, and heavily scripted single player campaigns treated as afterthoughts. For those who tire of shoot, respawn, repeat, etc, there are few viable options. Games like Borderlands 2, Bioshock 2, and Rage represent where the genre needs to be or a at least ardent attempts at moving in the right direction.

I don't necessarily disagree. The problem I've had with all those games is that the shooting is so so. Bulletstorm on the other hand did some pretty incredible things in terms of gameplay so it really pushed the shooter bit, but then it was really fucking linear. And now that team is stuck doing fucking Gears anyway (which I love, but come the fuck on). Halo is the closest I've come to a perfect mix of shooting awesomeness and freedom, and that standard was set a while ago.

That said, I think MOH Airborne was well ahead of MOH 2010. And with this game they seem to have ditched not only the openness of Airborne, but also the more personal and sensible style of MOH 2010. Good fucking job.

I don't necessarily disagree. The problem I've had with all those games is that the shooting is so so. Bulletstorm on the other hand did some pretty incredible things in terms of gameplay so it really pushed the shooter bit, but then it was really fucking linear. And now that team is stuck doing fucking Gears anyway (which I love, but come the fuck on). Halo is the closest I've come to a perfect mix of shooting awesomeness and freedom, and that standard was set a while ago.

That said, I think MOH Airborne was well ahead of MOH 2010. And with this game they seem to have ditched not only the openness of Airborne, but also the more personal and sensible style of MOH 2010. Good fucking job.

Actually if Danger Close has succeeded anywhere it's in making the multiplayer more personal by adding weapon mods, the different country skins, but most importantly the fire team system. It's such a simple addition but radically changes the game if you take the time to help each other out. Sure you can play lone wolf but if you get killed next to your buddy the enemy lights up like a christmas tree. If he kills him you instantly respawn. Stuff like that is crucial for defending points in the objective modes.

As for the SP story I haven't finished it so I can't really form a solid opinion on if the narative comes together.

triggaz

Banned
Reviewers kind of glossed over the MP by saying that it's not as good as BF and CoD. Which is starting to become an irritating trend, because there are some really interesting ideas and mechanics being introduced in the MP space that reviewers never even bother to acknowledge because they're not in BF or CoD. I had more fun with the MP in Crysis 2 than I did with the last 5 years of CoD games.

It's no where near as bad as the buggy boring mess that was Battlefield 3 campaign.

Sojgat

The MP is pretty good (short on maps though) and it has some interesting ideas. The SP campaign is better than BF3 at least, and it's nowhere near as awful as complete garbage like Homefront.

I have no problem with it scoring low, just that many other similar or worse games don't seem to.

ErikB

Banned

To continue my apologia, complaining about static crowds in the background of a racing game seems a bit much, especially when it isn't primarily a racing game. I mean, Gran Turismo has 2D trees!

6c9cb2ed.jpg

Similarly, having reduced detail in the rear view mirror isn't unheard of in pure breed racing games.

And who gives a shit about obligatory sections? You knew what you were getting when you signed up.

As for breaking scripting - eh. Doctor Doctor It Hurts When I Do This! Well Don't Do That Then.

And much of the rest of it I wasn't entirely sure what the dude was complaining about.

What is genuinely bad about the game? I mean specific details, not "the campaign is so generic."

Or do you think it's more a matter of genre fatigue?

Patryn

Kind of sounds like exactly what happened with Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age 2- EA stepping in and making changes to a sequel that try to appeal to people that didn't like the original game in the first place, leading to an inferior sequel.

EA does seem to have a habit of either taking the existing audience for granted, or feeling that it's worth losing the current audience in order to grab the mythical mainstream (CoD) audience.

Someone should really explain the idea behind the saying about the grass is always greener.

Cake Boss

Banned
EA does seem to have a habit of either taking the existing audience for granted, or feeling that it's worth losing the current audience in order to grab the mythical mainstream (CoD) audience.

Someone should really explain the idea behind the saying about the grass is always greener.

This.

They are already fucking it up with Dead Space.

Hey EA, take a tip from grocery stores: if you make a knock-off of a popular product, you better make it cheaper than that product if you want anyone to buy it.

Eideka

Banned
I'm glad the press ridiculed the game, the treatment it received is much deserved.

What a laughably bad game.

Haunted

After sampling a little bit of Warfighter's SP, I think it's pretty much on par with the games it's trying to emulate.

The review scores are appropriate, maybe a bit too generous across the board.

Top Bottom