• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikram

Slightly off-topic. I am tempted to buy a Wii U after watching the trailer. The other reason is being able to play Wii games which I completely missed this generation. Since I can't make a new thread being a Junior, I would like to ask few questions about Wii U.

- How is the experience of playing Wii games? How does the upscaling work?
- Do I need Wii controllers to play those old Wii games or a Pro Controller can do the job?
- Is the hardware reliable? I will be exporting it since Nintendo is not present in my country.
- Are all games available for DD day one?
- Can I use an external HDD to install games? If yes then can I go for the 8 gb Wii U basic since it is cheaper?

I already have 3DS btw.

Sendou

Slightly off-topic. I am tempted to buy a Wii U after watching the trailer. The other reason is being able to play Wii games which I completely missed this generation. Since I can't make a new thread being a Junior, I would like to ask few questions about Wii U.

- Do I need Wii controllers to play those old Wii games or a Pro Controller can do the job?
- Is the hardware reliable? I will be exporting it since Nintendo is not present in my country.
- Are all games available for DD day one?
- Can I use an external HDD to install games? If yes then can I go for the 8 gb Wii U basic since it is cheaper?

I already have 3DS btw.

-I was just playing Skyward Sword and it does work nicely. I don't know about upscaling.

-You need Wii Controllers to play Wii games. Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller can't be used to play Wii games.

-It's reliable.

-Not all games but all Nintendo games are and most of the 3rd party games too.

-You can use an external HDD for games and other stuff just like you could use internal memory. If you plan on buying lots of digital games then I would recommend buying the Premium pack because it includes a digital promotion where you get credit for every purchase you'll make on Wii U eShop (look it up)

Bikram

-I was just playing Skyward Sword and it does work nicely. I don't know about upscaling.

-You need Wii Controllers to play Wii games. Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller can't be used to play Wii games.

-It's reliable.

-Not all games but all Nintendo games are and most of the 3rd party games too.

-You can use an external HDD for games and other stuff just like you could use internal memory. If you plan on buying lots of digital games then I would recommend buying the Premium pack because it includes a digital promotion where you get credit for every purchase you'll make on Wii U eShop (look it up)

Thanks a lot. I will do so :)

I hope this game comes out in NA before the soundtrack comes out in Japan. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist listening to the soundtrack before playing the game if the OST comes out first. I think playing the game and hearing the songs for the first time in-game would be the best way to play.

wrowa

I simply forgot to delete the one sentence underneath. It was just an evaluation of the GIF, had nothing to do with his post.

So? Taking the GIF out of context isn't a great move either. No one said that the city is a showcase of next-gen graphics, it's quite obviously the weakest scene of the trailer. The fields are where it's at.

Rich!

I hope this game comes out in NA before the soundtrack comes out in Japan. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist listening to the soundtrack before playing the game if the OST comes out first. I think playing the game and hearing the songs for the first time in-game would be the best way to play.

Well...hearing Gaur Plains made me decide to buy Xenoblade at launch back in August 2011. Best decision ever.

So? Taking the GIF out of context isn't a great move either. No one said that the city is a showcase of next-gen graphics, it's quite obviously the weakest scene of the trailer. The fields are where it's at.

The fields are barren, the city isn't, which could be why it's lower in fidelity. It's worth noting.

Luigiv

Since all the other questions have already been answered, I'll tackle this. Long story short the Wii U automatically upscales everything (including Wii mode) to whatever resolution you set the system at. There's no option to disable or get around internal upscaling (like on the PS3) but I can't imagine too many people would want to anyway.

ugoo18

The fields are barren, the city isn't, which could be why it's lower in fidelity. It's worth noting.

*sigh* have we gone back to this "it's barren therefore invalid" cop out.

Anyone who has played Xenoblade can tell you the landscapes are definitely not barren and from the portions we've seen in this game it's definitely not the same.

This is far from barren

ib1y8qPw0Gy4T6.gif

wrowa

Apart of the fields not really being barren, you propose that Monolith might be using tricks to achieve great graphics? Wow, what a shocking revelation, who would have ever thought.

You can of course post as much in this thread as you want, I'm not the one to judge, but I can't but wonder: What's the point to enter this thread again and again just to tell people that you think the graphics aren't anything special? It's not going to lead anywhere anyway.

A densely packed city with lots more geometry >>> open, mostly flat lands with hills and basic structures. /shrug

Apart of the fields not really being barren, you propose that Monolith might be using tricks to achieve great graphics? Wow, what a shocking revelation, who would have ever thought.
What is your point here? I'm sensing quite a bit of passive aggressiveness and I don't know why.

Bikram

Since all the other questions have already been answered, I'll tackle this. Long story short the Wii U automatically upscales everything (including Wii mode) to whatever resolution you set the system at. There's no option to disable or get around internal upscaling (like on the PS3) but I can't imagine too many people would want to anyway.

Okay and I suppose it makes the game look better?

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
A densely packed city with lots more geometry >>> open, mostly flat lands with hills and basic structures. /shrug

What is your point here? I'm sensing quite a bit of passive aggressiveness and I don't know why.

You seem like you're starting to get passive aggressive too. Hrmm. Everyone should have a beer before things get worse.

Okay and I suppose it makes the game look better?

Upscaling you can think of it as stretching it kind of like how you stretch a picture in paint. Of course due to upscaling algorithms, it doesn't look anywhere as bad as if you really did stretch a picture in paint, but that's kind of the idea.

I dunno if it'd look better. If anything, it'd just fit better to your screen and make it look better than if you really were to stretch it across your 1080p TV.

GYNGA

I think I'm in love with this game, reminds me of Final Fantasy quite a lot. I would easily take this game over KZSF or Second Son. I'm glad Nintendo is finally making a really exciting IP.

FLECKO

Dammit and here I am without even played Chronicles, didn´t find it anywhere. Hoping to an HD Xenoblade Chronicles release... a man can dream.

Kozak

Banned
This GIF looks like current gen, not very flattering. It looks like you could take any good AAA open-world game from this gen and make a similar quality GIF. Low poly environment, low poly character, poor textures, average lighting. I'm taking into account the quality of the GIF.

Yup, the the trees and the window reflections are what I noticed first to be pretty average but I'm sure they'll get to making those things look prettier.

edit:

I think you guys were a bit too heavy on Heavy (lol). It didn't come off to me as if he was saying "this games graphics suck as a whole" just that he wasn't impressed with the city which is a valid point as it looks pretty bad atm and Monolithsoft should definitely be looking at improving it which I'm sure they are.

onilink88

If I had to guess, I'd say it's meant to be a prototype or otherwise unique, possibly this games "Monado".

By this game's Monado, do you mean the special Doll only the main character'll be able to use? Its design does seem to be somewhat unique and a bit underdeveloped (I can see in being an early prototype in that regard) when compared to the others.

Mini-rant:
Fire is so fucking overplayed in JRPGs; attacks, magic, elemental affinities, themes- everything in relation to fire is just so damned blazé at this point. Seriously, JRPG developers: enough already.

Yup, the the trees and the window reflections are what I noticed first to be pretty average but I'm sure they'll get to making those things look prettier.

edit:

I think you guys were a bit too heavy on Heavy (lol). It didn't come off to me as if he was saying "this games graphics suck as a whole" just that he wasn't impressed with the city which is a valid point as it looks pretty bad atm and Monolithsoft should definitely be looking at improving it which I'm sure they are.

Have you seen other posts by that guy? Everything he does is intentional trolling to rile people up, it's pure attention seeking.

I highly doubt it. Remember that the Wii U has more useable RAM than the PS3 and X360 combined. Something would have to give.

A lot of things going on in the background far away that I am sure is possible because of more RAM alone. Some next gen games doing this also.

ozfunghi

edit:

Too heavy on Heavy? Not in the slightest. Trolling is his forte, preferably about stuff he has no understanding of. Read his posts, he 'll do his best to downplay anything WiiU related, definitely concerning hardware/tech. And yet either he needs to get his eyes checked, or he doesn't know the meaning of the word "barren". He thinks that running around in a city with buildings (low poly blocks essentially) blocking the view/draw distance, is more impressive than open fields with dozens of beasts in the distance (he probably didn't even see them), mechs, waving grass plains, rocks, as far as the eye can see...

Coolwhip

Banned
Too heavy on Heavy? Not in the slightest. Trolling is his forte, preferably about stuff he has no understanding of. Read his posts, he 'll do his best to downplay anything WiiU related, definitely concerning hardware/tech. And yet either he needs to get his eyes checked, or he doesn't know the meaning of the word "barren". He thinks that running around in a city with buildings (low poly blocks essentially) blocking the view/draw distance, is more impressive than open fields with dozens of beasts in the distance (he probably didn't even see them), mechs, waving grass plains, rocks, as far as the eye can see...

Heavy trolls almost all Nintendo related threads, I don't get it tbh.

Chaos17

Sorry if it's old.

Staff Details:

• X is an open-world role-playing game with a large-scale map that is meant to load seamlessly for players.
  • The game’s music is being composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, who has worked on Attack on Titan and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
  • Character design is being headed by Kunihiko Tanaka, who did character concept artwork and design on Xenogears. The Xenogears team made up the core of Monolith soft after they left SquareSoft in the early 2000s.
  • Tetsuya Takahashi, while at Square, worked on games like Final Fantasy VI and VII as a designer and on Chrono Trigger as the graphics director. He is the co-founder and president of Monolith Soft. He worked extensively on the Xenogears and XenoSaga games, and on XenoBlade. More information about him can be found here.

Game Details:

• Players will have the ability, at certain points in the game, to use mechs when fighting the game’s enemies. The human-shaped robots are about four times the size of a regular player and they can fly.
  • These mechs the players are able to use can change shape allowing them to become tanks and motorcycles.
  • The main character appears to be a dark-haired male, though there has been no word if the game will be more like Monster Hunter and allow players to customize his or her characters.
  • Weapons include rifles, machine guns, swords, shields that can be used to bash, and what appear to be over-sized rocket launchers. It looks like characters will have specialization to keep in mind and most likely a skills tree.
  • Appearing in the January trailer was a skilled attack list seen at the bottom of the screen showing a glimpse of the player’s abilities when fighting enemies.
  • As seen in the trailer, not all creatures in the game attack the player automatically. The giant dinosaur-like monsters seem to be docile in nature likely having resources for the player as an incentive to attack.
  • The game appears to have online multiplayer with the main character running alongside others with mechs making up some of the party. In one screenshot from the trailer, the main character has an actual name while the other party characters are listed at “Player One”, “Player Two”, and “Player Three”, which seems to suggest that there will be no other characters joining the player on his or her quest.
  • “By the way, the player will ride in human-shaped robots that appear in the trailer at certain points in the game,” Mr. Iwata said during the presentation. “They will even fly in the air and battle against enemies.”

Source : http://business.financialpost.com/2...-game-developed-by-the-creators-of-xenoblade/

roddur

This GIF looks like current gen, not very flattering. It looks like you could take any good AAA open-world game from this gen and make a similar quality GIF. Low poly environment, low poly character, poor textures, average lighting. I'm taking into account the quality of the GIF.

in that shot, one of the 2 guys on right is floating.

Heavy trolls almost all Nintendo related threads, I don't get it tbh.
I wasn't going to respond but being critical and explaining why isn't trolling. If I was trolling I'd have just said a one-liner like "That gif looks like crap and current-gen" but I elaborated, trolls don't do that. I post all over the forum, all threads in gaming section, lots of game-specific OTs, tons of posts in the off-topic section, off-topic community section (wrestling, nba, nfl), everything. Compare this to how many Nintendo fans or fans of other hardware manus only post about that one subject either praising or defending it, their entire post history is that. You probably fit that description. Compare to mine which is all over the forum. I'm not an anti-Wii U troll and that's all I will say about it.

Well yes, you also said that AC4 on the PS3 looks better than X, so.

No, I didn't. (re: bolded)

onilink88

Nothing new here.

The game appears to have online multiplayer with the main character running alongside others with mechs making up some of the party. In one screenshot from the trailer, the main character has an actual name while the other party characters are listed at “Player One”, “Player Two”, and “Player Three”, which seems to suggest that there will be no other characters joining the player on his or her quest.

And this is flat-out false.

in that shot, one of the 2 guys on right is floating.

I don't see anyone floating. I do see NPCs clipping through each other, though.

anaron

Character design is being headed by Kunihiko Tanaka, who did character concept artwork and design on Xenogears. The Xenogears team made up the core of Monolith soft after they left SquareSoft in the early 2000

I'm still the most happy about Tanaka's return. Feels like coming home. :]

Darryl

Banned
Compare this to how many Nintendo fans or fans of other hardware manus only post about that one subject either praising or defending it, their entire post history is that. You probably fit that description.

i think most people having interests and talking about their interests would be a normal thing. it's weirder when people constantly talk about things they don't like. i bet you won't find a post of mine inside a brown/gritty fps shooter thread because i don't like them, and i don't feel the need to tell others that i don't like them and explain how their interests are inferior to mine.

Reveirg

Has any Anime composer impressed composing a video game before?
I am not happy about the composer...

Kajiura's score for Xenosaga II & III is easily in my Top 5 videogames OST.

Sawano's work so far is impressive, and I love a lot of what he's done before. Triangle's score is especially good.

Instro

Certainly the weakest looking area shown in the trailer. We'll see if it improves in the same way the area shown in the first trailer did. From what we saw in the trailer, it looked like that green area and the rocky desert area are the most complete visually atm.

ozfunghi

I wasn't going to respond but being critical and explaining why isn't trolling. If I was trolling I'd have just said a one-liner like "That gif looks like crap and current-gen" but I elaborated, trolls don't do that. I post all over the forum, all threads in gaming section, lots of game-specific OTs, tons of posts in the off-topic section, off-topic community section (wrestling, nba, nfl), everything. Compare this to how many Nintendo fans or fans of other hardware manus only post about that one subject either praising or defending it, their entire post history is that. You probably fit that description. Compare to mine which is all over the forum. I'm not an anti-Wii U troll and that's all I will say about it.

No, I didn't. (re: bolded)

I really don't care what and if you post in other topics. I do know and care that you post a lot in Nintendo related topics, even in the fucking GPU topic when you have NO IDEA WHAT SO EVER you are talking about. Always making claims to discredit WiiU or its games. And just because you provide context for your claims, doesn't mean you aren't trolling. Your arguments have been debunked multiple times by people with more understanding on the subject, yet you keep coming back to them. So yes, that's trolling.

The poly budget of one of those beasts you spot in the distance in X, is enough to build a couple of building blocks in a in-game city. Stuff like this you fail to understand, or you insist on knowing better and claiming the opposite.

redhood56

Banned
When the wiiu gets a price cut, I will pick this up! I might even buy this when I don't have a wiiu so I can play this when I get one. This game looks fantastic, and IGN said that this game wasn't shown at all at e3. Hence the no coverage from the press.

Reveirg

The trailer song's singer has been confirmed to be Mika Kobayashi, who previously worked with Sawano on Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit, etc.

I wonder if someone fluent in japanese could get some more info about X on Soraya Saga's twitter?

Auto-translate seems to give me something about the game's open-world nature, amongst other things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom