• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The trailer song's singer has been confirmed to be Mika Kobayashi, who previously worked with Sawano on Guilty Crown, Mobile Suit, etc.

I wonder if someone fluent in japanese could get some more info about X on Soraya Saga's twitter?

Auto-translate seems to give me something about the game's open-world nature, amongst other things...

I kind of want to ask about the AI party members vs player controlled ones. The trailers just seem really unclear and the gameplay mechanics we've seen would be awkward with a party (one mech + AI party = ???, at least human players could split up and still do stuff). Apart from that everything seems to be fitting together.

wsippel

Banned
By this game's Monado, do you mean the special Doll only the main character'll be able to use? Its design does seem to be somewhat unique and a bit underdeveloped (I can see in being an early prototype in that regard) when compared to the others.
Well, I think it's possibly a plot point at least. It looks like a modified, slighty more heavily armored version of the silver/blue mech. Though I'm pretty sure the mechs can be customized to a certain degree - weapon loadouts and paintjobs, at least.

Have you seen other posts by that guy? Everything he does is intentional trolling to rile people up, it's pure attention seeking.

Don't mind Heavy. He spent all his mom's money on a Wii U at launch and then got in trouble when he couldn't flip it for a profit (no, seriously). He's had an irrational grudge and has been trolling it on GAF ever since.

This is probably the best place to ask without having to resurrect or create a topic...

Is xenosaga episode 3 worth 55 bucks? It's currently available on amazon and I never played it. I loved the first, got real bored of the second, but I heard the 3 is a vast improvement. I thought it was real rare and expensive, but they currently have a stock fulfilled by amazon

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
What's crazy is how much better these new gifs look than the old one that kept getting over-posted.

tumblr_mh3ekpzIMT1r72ht7o1_500.gif

vs

x03l8bit.gif

Anyone got the non-tumblr non-oversaturated version of that first one? Still, this second one looks so much better. More fluid mech animation, tons more detail in the world, better lighting, etc.

Instro

Has any Anime composer impressed composing a video game before?
I am not happy about the composer...

There are a number that work in multiple mediums as far as soundtracks go. Michiru Oshima for example did the music for Ico and also did some arrangements for Twilight Princess, although I don't believe she has done much since. Shadow of the Colossus was the product of an anime composer as well for that matter. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom's soundtrack was done by the always impressive Toshihiko Sahashi, the game didn't review well but the soundtrack is fantastic. In fact most of Game Republic's games have been composed by top tier anime composers, Folklore(Kenji Kawai and others) and Knights Contract(especially this one by god tier composer Kousuke Yamashita) are excellent OST's. There's a lot of excellent composers that would do well if they did video game scores that's for sure. It's a shame they picked Sawano instead.

This is the first time in recent memory where the composer has been featured so prominently though, and on a pretty high profile title.

Soren01

Anyone got the non-tumblr non-oversaturated version of that first one? Still, this second one looks so much better. More fluid mech animation, tons more detail in the world, better lighting, etc.

This one?

ibyimle5NxCisF.gif

DaBoss

amekbvuiuv6.gif

There is some pop-in if you look at those bushes at the beginning of the second GIF you have posted there. I wonder why that's the case.

It's always a good idea to respond to a post without reading the text. Makes for great conversations.

He doesn't care. He just makes it a point to downplay anything positive about the Wii U at any opportunity. Whatever though, the games speak for themselves, and this one looks amazing.

A densely packed city with lots more geometry >>> open, mostly flat lands with hills and basic structures. /shrug

What is your point here? I'm sensing quite a bit of passive aggressiveness and I don't know why.

Would you prefer more aggressive? Here: You're annoying, a misinformed downer, and no one with any sense expects much from your posts regarding Wii U besides prevalence of those attributes. Why not go have fun and be happy in threads about consoles and games you actually do think positively about? Write us off as idiots, be done with it, and bugger off?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Posting those three gifs so close makes the color difference in the second trailer very clear.

Mlatador

Banned
Would you prefer more aggressive? Here: You're annoying, a misinformed downer, and no one with any sense expects much from your posts regarding Wii U besides prevalence of those attributes. Why not go have fun and be happy in threads about consoles and games you actually do think positively about? Write us off as idiots, be done with it, and bugger off?

The best is to ignore him, really. Save your energy.

wrowa

Posting those three gifs so close makes the color difference in the second trailer very clear.

I don't think they changed the actual colors of the game, though. The first trailer had just a bad quality. It was quite obvious during the credit scenes where the black background was grey instead of black.

[Fugo]

This trailer definitely game be vibe of a majestic blend of the spirits of all the past "Xeno" titles fused in one single game.
It's like this time Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga will finally be able to wholly convey their visions without nor budget neither technological restraints.
So, Nintendo and Monolithsoft, give us a GearSagaBlade masterpiece, and we shall rejoice!!

PS: I hope Yasunori Mitsuda is in this time. I'd love to have at least 6 original OST pieces by him. Same for Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Shimomura.

I want this game to be my greatest Xenodream

Meelow

Banned
I strongly believe this game will get some sort of worldwide simultanious release (at least Europe, NA, Japan).

Read something on the site you go for Nintendo news that it seems Nintendo might be working on localizations while X is in development, so that could mean that it will launch everywhere very close to each other, something like Skyward Sword release dates wouldn't surprise me.

damaph

Read something on the site you go for Nintendo news that it seems Nintendo might be working on localizations while X is in development, so that could mean that it will launch everywhere very close to each other, something like Skyward Sword release dates wouldn't surprise me.

Nvm.

Wasn't the source for that just this post by ShockingAlberto?

Soriku

This is probably the best place to ask without having to resurrect or create a topic...

Is xenosaga episode 3 worth 55 bucks? It's currently available on amazon and I never played it. I loved the first, got real bored of the second, but I heard the 3 is a vast improvement. I thought it was real rare and expensive, but they currently have a stock fulfilled by amazon

$55? I checked Amazon and that's for a new copy...why not just buy used?

Anyway, 3 is a massive improvement over the first two. It's a top 5 PS2 RPG. If you haven't beaten 2 I suggest watching the remaining cutscenes on Youtube if you can find them.

Then after you're done playing 3, read through the Perfect Guide (spoilers).

shauntu

My theory: we will encounter a new titan, and the soul/god of this Titan will be Klaus. One of the background scientists that Mayneth called for help while struggling with Zanza before the world reset...

Looks really interesting; I loved Xenoblade so I'm expecting a lot from the title.

One of the Wii U games I have my eye on.

I'm hoping there's single screen coop.

wrowa

It did?

Do you have any source?

NPD was never allowed to publish Xenoblade numbers due to its exclusivity to Gamestop (and as such they would have published directly retraceable information about a single retailer) as far as I know and I don't think Nintendo ever talked about Xenoblade's sales. So, I doubt he has a source worth a damn.

Fandangox

NPD was never allowed to publish Xenoblade numbers due to its exclusivity to Gamestop (and as such they would have published directly retraceable information about a single retailer) as far as I know and I don't think Nintendo ever talked about Xenoblade's sales. So, I doubt he has a source worth a damn.

I see, making the game exclusive to one retailer was a dumb move anyway.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't think Nintendo ever talked about Xenoblade's sales.

Nintendo never gave firm numbers, but they did say Xenoblade sold well in NA a while back. It was in some interview, but I forget where.

EDIT: It was here where Reggie said it sold "quite well."

Of course, that's so vague - doesn't really tell us that much. :/

onilink88

Well, I think it's possibly a plot point at least. It looks like a modified, slighty more heavily armored version of the silver/blue mech. Though I'm pretty sure the mechs can be customized to a certain degree - weapon loadouts and paintjobs, at least.

I missed this, but this Doll:

is called インフェルノ (there doesn't seem to be a series number), which translates to inferno. I'm guessing the main character's is custom (or a prototype or advanced model or something)?

Alright after watching the trailer I do have to say the monster designs are pretty damn cool.
iwGpybZOYXOYh.gif

You got those 2 velociraptors with no arms and in the background you have that absolutely huge tenctacle plant looking thing just waving in the background. I'd hate to fight that thing without a mech.
angrybeaverghaud.gif

Speaking of mechs they seem to be 3 times as tall as the human characters. Knowing that look at the scale of that monster! I'd love to see footage of multiple mechs take that thing down.
datcolor0szbf.gif

I don't even know how to describe this one. It looks totally alien. It looks like it has a small ecosystem on its back or something. Probably a gentle giant that can whoop dat ass if it needs to.
if27oWBTNUH4x.gif

And my favorite one so far. The whale monsters looks straight out of Baten Kaitos. That gif in general looks like a Baten Kaitos environment in 3D. I like how you just see that purple light just pulsing on them.

Luigiv

So is this game online only or is it a single player game plus online mode?

Nobody knows yet. I can't imagine it being online only only, given the pedigree of both Monolith Soft and Nintendo, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Exentryk

Anyone know where to get the highest quality version of this trailer? I need to spend some time re-watching this frame by frame
SeuHD.gif

FlyFaster

more and more time that passes this is one of the few games where my excitement never decreases. I never got super crazy hyped about this but I've also never forgotten it. It's been consistent level of anxious excitement for months. Really can't wait for this to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom