• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, someone please help me. I can't stop watching the trailer...

Actually don't. It's too good.

I keep coming back to it like subconsciously. It definitely looks spectacular. I have not scene those draw distances and IQ on current gen rpgs so it did surprise me in how good it looked.

wrowa

If I remember correctly, the first Xenoblade trailer was shown 1 year before japanese release and the final game gr4fiXXX were a substancial improvement over it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcflgnLmgms

Yep. That's why I'm hopeful that the final game won't look quite as washed out as the trailer.

Yes but that trailer as more polished, this one looks more rushed, maybe they where only going to show the game at E3.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if the trailer was made very quickly to give Wii U owners something to look forward and talk about to.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Xenoblade looks pretty much exactly like its first trailer and also the first screen everyone bashed, they just didn't do a good job of showing the awesome vistas you encounter etc in much of the early media. Not to mention people didn't believe they could expect such vast areas from a Wii game, or that people like bashing and do it even when there's little reason to.

Yamauchi

Banned
Xenoblade looks pretty much exactly like its first trailer and also the first screen everyone bashed, they just didn't do a good job of showing the awesome vistas you encounter etc in much of the early media. Not to mention people didn't believe they could expect such vast areas from a Wii game, or that people like bashing and do it even when there's little reason to.
That's funny. Just watching that trailer, I was kind of surprised at how differently the final game ended up looking.

Clevinger

I was one of those bashers, I think. Boy was I wrong.

Rich!

One thing that's pissing me off right now.

I wasn't interested in Xenoblade at all until I saw a trailer on my 3DS for it about a week before the UK release in August 2011. I then brought it a few days later and was fucking blown away, literally hooked to the game for an entire week straight and now I've finished it five times.

Now I've seen the trailer for the successor. Same as before, I want it! But...It's not out for at least a year. But I want it nooooooow. I want instant awesome like when I first found out about Xenoblade!

/impatient.

duckroll

Yep. That's why I'm hopeful that the final game won't look quite as washed out as the trailer.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if the trailer was made very quickly to give Wii U owners something to look forward and talk about to.

I get a feeling from the trailer that part of it was actually intentionally mediocre. Now I'm not saying they made it "bad" on purpose, but the first half of the trailer is clearly supposed to give off the sense that this is a game like Xenoblade, but in HD. The choices they made in what they wanted to show seem pretty deliberate, even if the footage is rather rushed together. It was meant to look like "more of the same" for the most part. Then the guy gets into the mech, and everything changes from there. Just as the trailer gets really good and exciting, it ends.

Seems like a classic case of a teaser where they want to create a false sense of familiarity before going all out to show something surprising and unexpected, and then ending before people have enough, so they want more.

onilink88

If this game's landscapes are anywhere near as beautiful as Xenoblade's, and there are options to keep the HUD on the gamepad, I'm going to lose my fucking shit.

skypunch

Banned
I keep coming back to it like subconsciously. It definitely looks spectacular. I have not scene those draw distances and IQ on current gen rpgs so it did surprise me in how good it looked.

Yep. Draw distances especially look astounding and the whole mecha thing just totally does it for me.

Right when the footage starts and the guy is running, there's something happening on the right side of the screen. Like a rockslide or a monster attacking or something? Can anyone make it out?

Zenaku

I just got around to watching the NicoVideo version of the trailer and ND, along with comments from Japanese viewers; I'm happy it's pretty positive. A number of commenters even pointed out how Iwata smiles briefly just before revealing the trailer.

Rich!

If this game's landscapes are anywhere near as beautiful as Xenoblade's, and there are options to keep the HUD on the gamepad, I'm going to lose my fucking shit.

I don't think I'd be able to deal with the party gauge, health meter and art selections not being on the main screen. You really do need to pay attention to them constantly during battle, and if you have to keep looking down at the gamepad to do so then you are going to fail miserably.

The map, radar, quests and inventory would be ideal for the pad though.

Pikma

Banned
Monolith pulled off Xenoblade on the freaking Wii. These guys are going to knock it out of the park with this new game.

I assume that their budget is also much bigger compared to Xenoblade.
Yup wouldn't be surprised if they won Iwata's confidence with such a great game as Xenoblade.

pestul

Ouch, I didn't realize Xenoblade was so rare in Canada already. Super high prices on eBay .. I'll have to have a look around my local game stores. I don't want to spend $100 on it only to find out Nintendo are putting it on the eShop later either lol.

onilink88

I don't think I'd be able to deal with the party gauge, health meter and art selections not being on the main screen. You really do need to pay attention to them constantly during battle, and if you have to keep looking down at the gamepad to do so then you are going to fail miserably.

The map, radar, quests and inventory would be ideal for the pad though.

Certainly, when I'm in battle, I want the important stuff on screen. But when I'm standing on a cliff overlooking the beauty of the vista (and I've done this countless times in Xenoblade), nothing should get in the way of that view. :)

Darryl

Banned
Seems like a classic case of a teaser where they want to create a false sense of familiarity before going all out to show something surprising and unexpected, and then ending before people have enough, so they want more.

if they still value a strong showing at E3, it sounds very likely to me that they would do something like this.

Oersted

I love all of these endless discussions about graphics with people who take their opinions as facts. Xenoblade is considered as one of most brilliant RPGs last gen. This game could be better.
Have fun. End of story.

Rich!

Certainly, when I'm in battle, I want the important stuff on screen. But when I'm standing on a cliff overlooking the beauty of the vista (and I've done this countless times in Xenoblade), nothing should get in the way of that view. :)

heh

you can turn off the HUD in xenoblade you know. Everything can be turned off apart from the health meter and the art selections in battle via the options menu.

duckroll

if they still value a strong showing at E3, it sounds very likely to me that they would do something like this.

Nintendo confirmed that E3 will be focused on the new Smash Brothers, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart games for WiiU, so they'll already have a rather sound E3. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a better and longer trailer for this by then too. Could be a pretty solid E3, especially if they also have Bayonetta 2 and a playable Wind Waker HD there. Best Nintendo E3 in years?

wsippel

Banned
Gonna need more than a minute and a half long trailer to confirm that. This basically looks like Xenoblade running on Dolphin with some modded filters patched in
Yeah, filters. And much better textures, way higher polycounts, normal mapping, better animations, better draw distance...

skypunch

Banned
I just got around to watching the NicoVideo version of the trailer and ND, along with comments from Japanese viewers; I'm happy it's pretty positive. A number of commenters even pointed out how Iwata smiles briefly just before revealing the trailer.

Wow, that's really cool. Makes me shed a happy tear for Mono and Nintendo :)

Rich!

How did I not know of this before?! This might be another reason to go over the game again. :D

Just booted up the game via Dolphin and took these two screenshots for you to see the glorious HUD-less Xenoblade:

i6YiH6kABW4HI.png

ibydzcuzVSOsfI.png

lovely stuff

gerudoman

One thing that's pissing me off right now.

I wasn't interested in Xenoblade at all until I saw a trailer on my 3DS for it about a week before the UK release in August 2011. I then brought it a few days later and was fucking blown away, literally hooked to the game for an entire week straight and now I've finished it five times.

Now I've seen the trailer for the successor. Same as before, I want it! But...It's not out for at least a year. But I want it nooooooow. I want instant awesome like when I first found out about Xenoblade!

/impatient.

Heh, same here. Back in the day it was first shown I thought it looked hideous, and I only started to be a bit interested once I saw the great praise it was receiving, and even then, I exclusively bought it in order not to miss it given the poor release it had. One of my favourite games, ever.

if this is a single player game, then it could be amazing

if it's multiplayer oriented, then it'll probably suck dick, like that metal gear game on the psp that was supposed to be 5 but turned out to be a flop or something. either way, fuck monster hunter. keep it a single player rpg, or at least, balance it like one.

B.K.

I'm done following Monolithsoft and Takakashi. This looks like it's basically Xenoblade 2 or a combination of Xenoblade and Monster Hunter. That's not what I want from Takahashi. Xenoblade was bad enough. At least he made two good games in his career.

I'm done following Monolithsoft and Takakashi. This looks like it's basically Xenoblade 2 or a combination of Xenoblade and Monster Hunter. That's not what I want from Takahashi. Xenoblade was bad enough. At least he made two good games in his career.

o_O Thank god Nintendo (or whoever did it) finally reigned in some of his worst tendencies.

NateDrake

Nintendo confirmed that E3 will be focused on the new Smash Brothers, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart games for WiiU, so they'll already have a rather sound E3. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a better and longer trailer for this by then too. Could be a pretty solid E3, especially if they also have Bayonetta 2 and a playable Wind Waker HD there. Best Nintendo E3 in years?

Sounding like it. Sure we'll get some casual stuff in the mix, but they have enough solid content to keep the masses happy -- maybe Retro's game will show up too. This Direct felt like a mini-E3 in some ways.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The last really good one was 2009 or so.

Rich!

God... I missed one day of gaf and this is what happens?

So... does anyone still believe "Nintendoomed" at this point?

In the UK, yes. Unfortunately.

When your console hasn't got a single game in the UK top 40 for the past three weeks and half of your top ten in the Wii U charts are selling less than 320 copies each throughout the entire UK, it's not a good sign.

Sophia

o_O Thank god Nintendo (or whoever did it) finally reigned in some of his worst tendencies.

It's B.K. Ignore him. He likes to cry a river because it's apparently not Xenogears/Xenosaga 1 continued or whatever. :p

I honestly always thought the idea of an Xenoblade sequel would look like this, but I never expected the scope to be so big as to allow flying with the robots.

Just out of curiosity; which two are they?

B.K.

It's B.K. Ignore him. He likes to cry a river because it's apparently not Xenogears/Xenosaga 1 continued or whatever. :p

I don't care that it's not a continuation of Xenosaga or Xenogears. Would I like a continuation? Of course. I hate having serialized stories cut short. I miss the old Takahashi. Xenoblade was garbage. I don't care what anyone on GAF says. The battle system was one of the most boring and repetitive I've seen in a long time and the story was just a boring, generic shounen story. I had to force myself to finish it. If it wasn't a Takahashi game, I wouldn't have made it to the end. I kept hoping that something would happen to make the game good, but it never did. I've never felt more like my time was wasted on a game as it was on Xenoblade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom