• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm done following Monolithsoft and Takakashi. This looks like it's basically Xenoblade 2 or a combination of Xenoblade and Monster Hunter. That's not what I want from Takahashi. Xenoblade was bad enough. At least he made two good games in his career.

As long as you don't say Xenosaga Ep. III is one of those two.

That game sucked and I don't get the fascination, especially compared to Xenoblade.

Verendus

Banned
I don't care that it's not a continuation of Xenosaga or Xenogears. Would I like a continuation? Of course. I hate having serialized stories cut short. I miss the old Takahashi. Xenoblade was garbage. I don't care what anyone on GAF says. The battle system was one of the most boring and repetitive I've seen in a long time and the story was just a boring, generic shounen story. I had to force myself to finish it. If it wasn't a Takahashi game, I wouldn't have made it to the end. I kept hoping that something would happen to make the game good, but it never did. I've never felt more like my time was wasted on a game as it was on Xenoblade.
Come on now, Xenoblade isn't that bad. I do think people overrate the game on these boards as if it's some amazing game (lol gorgeous vistas), but it's a solid game. Nothing special, but not bad. It's like a beta-FF12. Story was crap though, I'll give you that.

guek

Banned
I don't care that it's not a continuation of Xenosaga or Xenogears. Would I like a continuation? Of course. I hate having serialized stories cut short. I miss the old Takahashi. Xenoblade was garbage. I don't care what anyone on GAF says. The battle system was one of the most boring and repetitive I've seen in a long time and the story was just a boring, generic shounen story. I had to force myself to finish it. If it wasn't a Takahashi game, I wouldn't have made it to the end. I kept hoping that something would happen to make the game good, but it never did. I've never felt more like my time was wasted on a game as it was on Xenoblade.

lol ok dude. maybe you should just move on then.

Sophia

Yeah I'm well aware of your opinion on it. I saw your posts elsewhere. :p

Besides, it's not like Xeno games had particularly deep and "non-repetive" battle systems to begin with. The only real deep one was the first Xenosaga, and they screwed the pooch on that one royally by not giving some fine tuning and polish.

duckroll

That game sucked and I don't get the fascination, especially compared to Xenoblade.

All the areas Takahashi was actually credited for on the Xenosaga Episode 3 were pretty great - the database entries, the overall story concept, and the music supervision.

Yeah I'm well aware of your opinion on it. I saw your posts elsewhere. :p

Besides, it's not like Xeno games had particularly deep and "non-repetive" battle systems to begin with. The only real deep one was the first Xenosaga, and they screwed the pooch on that one royally by not giving some fine tuning and polish.

Guess which Xenosaga Takahashi directed? :p

B.K.

I don't get why GAF has such a hard on for Xenoblade. That game was horrible to me. I'll admit, I bought the game twice. I imported it from Europe when it looked like we weren't getting it and I bought the American version to support Monolithsoft. I had hoped their Wii U title would be better. I expected a great game with a great story from Takahashi and all I got was a generic story full of boring tropes. I would rather play Final Fantasy XIII again than Xenoblade.

Yonafunu

if this is a single player game, then it could be amazing

if it's multiplayer oriented, then it'll probably suck dick, like that metal gear game on the psp that was supposed to be 5 but turned out to be a flop or something. either way, fuck monster hunter. keep it a single player rpg, or at least, balance it like one.

How does it go from amazing to sucking dick just by adding 2-3 more players?
The gameplay would be exactly the same, except without annoying AI. I don't see the problem with that.
Even then, it will never be multiplayer oriented. It'll have optional co-op, but I doubt it's going full MonHun.

Sophia

Guess which Xenosaga Takahashi directed? :p

Yup, and we saw the end results of that. It's still amazing that Xenosaga 1 is as good as it is.

He's better when someone is filtering his ideas, like Koh Kojima.

How does it go from amazing to sucking dick just by adding 2-3 more players?
The gameplay would be exactly the same, except without annoying AI. I don't see the problem with that.
Even then, it will never be multiplayer oriented. It'll have optional co-op, but I doubt it's going full MonHun.

I wonder if these people get mad just because Demon's/Dark Souls has multiplayer?

Mlatador

Banned
If I were an American/Canadian (some guy living in the americas), a JRPG/RPG fan and still not an owner of Xenoblade Chronicles (for whatever reason), I would definitely start looking for it on foreign sites (e.g. amzon.de, amazon.fr etc.) right now.
Granted, that it's around 90 on amazon.com already, other's might start looking for it on said sites as well, which could make it ever more expensive in the future (Xenoblade could very well become one of those games that is gonna be hard to get in 1 or 2 years from now).

It's interesting how they're going with Swano, who's a popular anime composer, instead of Mitsuda though. Considering they got Tanaka back as a character designer, I wonder if Mitsuda turned them down...

Can't everything be perfect!

Thank you based Monolift Soft! Basically Xenoblade 2 with TRANSFORMING MECHS!!! :O

1VWTK12.gif

Right click, save as.

Iwata's been on-blast today.

Verendus

Banned
Anyhow, most disappointing thing about this reveal is that they're not creating something as imaginative as Baten Kaitos.

I will sit back and await reveals of better landscapes, and floating islands.

I don't get why GAF has such a hard on for Xenoblade. That game was horrible to me. I'll admit, I bought the game twice. I imported it from Europe when it looked like we weren't getting it and I bought the American version to support Monolithsoft. I had hoped their Wii U title would be better. I expected a great game with a great story from Takahashi and all I got was a generic story full of boring tropes. I would rather play Final Fantasy XIII again than Xenoblade.
This insult, I would wish upon no game. Goddamn.

At least admit, that as crap as the story was, it wasn't as bad as FFXIIIs.

duckroll

Yup, and we saw the end results of that. It's still amazing that Xenosaga 1 is as good as it is.

He's better when someone is filtering his ideas, like Koh Kojima.

I dunno. I don't really agree. A lot of what I like about Xenogears, Xenosaga, Soma Bringer, and Xenoblade are distinctly Takahashi ideas and contributions. The more those things are "filtered" down, the less interesting they are to me. Xenoblade would be a better game if Takahashi made the game like he did in the past. I have no doubts about that.

Don't get me wrong I love Xenogears and the Xenosaga series

I dunno. I don't really agree. A lot of what I like about Xenogears, Xenosaga, Soma Bringer, and Xenoblade are distinctly Takahashi ideas and contributions. The more those things are "filtered" down, the less interesting they are to me. Xenoblade would be a better game if Takahashi made the game like he did in the past. I have no doubts about that.

It'll be interesting to see the direction this game takes.

Xenosaga episode III was a masterpiece compared to the steaming pile of shit that was episode II.

That's not saying much at all, and I actually preferred Ep. II's combat, weird as it was.

I basically stopped caring after Namco decided they were taking over instead of just letting Takahashi and Soraya Saga do their thing.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Having watched the teaser again, you know what I like about it?

It's basically all gameplay. No pre-renders, target-renders, bull-shots, or carefully shot story sequences. It was almost all straight up gameplay from beginning to end.

All teasers/trailers should be as such.

B.K.

At least admit, that as crap as the story was, it wasn't as bad as FFXIIIs.

It some ways, it's worse. XIII had horrible writers, so you expect a bad story. Takahashi can write stories. Even though he collaborated with others, Xenogears had a great story and Xenosaga Episode I laid good groundwork, which the new team ruined with the sequels. It's worse when someone who can write does crap. The problem is that Takahashi has sold out. He's not really writing the stories he wants to. He's just going for mass appeal.

Taruranto

I'm done following Monolithsoft and Takakashi. This looks like it's basically Xenoblade 2 or a combination of Xenoblade and Monster Hunter. That's not what I want from Takahashi. Xenoblade was bad enough. At least he made two good games in his career.

I live for Xenosaga, but unfortunately, i think Takahashi is simply tired of having his projects canned and/or horribly mutilated (Ugh, ep. II). I doubt we'll see anything close to Gear or Saga soon, especially seeing how Blade was so much more positively received compared to Saga.

But ep. III is one of the best jrpg on PS2 and Monolith final Masterpiece. Everything about that game was simply terrific.

That's not saying much at all, and I actually preferred Ep. II's combat, weird as it was.

I basically stopped caring after Namco decided they were taking over instead of just letting Takahashi and Soraya Saga do their thing.

That's a common misinformation, it's not what happened. Even Saga admitted Namco was always kind to them. All the problems came from Monolith and how they wanted to develop the series.

Sophia

Eh, I guess. It's pretty clear that he didn't get to do what he really wanted to with Xenoblade, but I think that's more "This is only what I can do now" and not "Someone took my ideas and filtered them down."

Ideally, I want to see a game with the polish and scale of Xenoblade, the story of Xenogears, and the depth of Xenosaga 1's combat system.

It some ways, it's worse. XIII had horrible writers, so you expect a bad story. Takahashi can write stories. Even though he collaborated with others, Xenogears had a great story and Xenosaga Episode I laid good groundwork, which the new team ruined with the sequels. It's worse when someone who can write does crap. The problem is that Takahashi has sold out. He's not really writing the stories he wants to. He's just going for mass appeal.

You're making up an awful lot of details just to present your own opinion as fact. Try taking lessons from a master like duckroll. =p

duckroll

It'll be interesting to see the direction this game takes.

There are more robots. They can transform. You can use them in battle. Already a better direction than Xenoblade!

Eh, I guess. It's pretty clear that he didn't get to do what he really wanted to with Xenoblade, but I think that's more "This is only what I can do now" and not "Someone took my ideas and filtered them down."

Ideally, I want to see a game with the polish and scale of Xenoblade, the story of Xenogears, and the depth of Xenosaga 1's combat system.

Oh I'm not holding anything in Xenoblade against anyone else. It's clear he is more open to collaboration and feedback from his peers now. But I also think there's something missing from it. Especially in how the narrative is handled. It feels very much like a director-writer consenting to studio changes on the script just to get his movie made.

spidye

I don't understand the logic behind your decision. you bought two copies of a game you did not like? why?
and the story was generic and full of tropes but ffXIII story was better than xenoblade's?

There are more robots. They can transform. You can use them in battle. Already a better direction than Xenoblade!

Real time mech control and fights looked amazing. One of the best parts of the trailer.

That's a common misinformation, it's not what happened. Even Saga admitted Namco was always kind to them. All the problems came from Monolith and how they wanted to develop the series.

If that's the case then damn, Monolith. What the hell happened between I which was good...and those other ones? The plot of III in particular was ridiculous.

Nintendo confirmed that E3 will be focused on the new Smash Brothers, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart games for WiiU, so they'll already have a rather sound E3. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a better and longer trailer for this by then too. Could be a pretty solid E3, especially if they also have Bayonetta 2 and a playable Wind Waker HD there. Best Nintendo E3 in years?

I find it hard to believe they'd blow their E3 load this far out. Makes me giddy thinking what surprises they have left.

Also in the mech gif im pretty sure the waterfalls down in the left corner are the same as the ones the dinosaur looking thing is standing in front of early in the trailer.

duckroll

I find it hard to believe they'd blow their E3 load this far out. Makes me giddy thinking what surprises they have left.

Also in the mech gif im pretty sure the waterfalls down in the left corner are the same as the ones the dinosaur looking thing is standing in front of early in the trailer.

They didn't blow their load. That's why we didn't see anything from Smash Brothers, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart. :p

Sophia

Oh I'm not holding anything in Xenoblade against anyone else. It's clear he is more open to collaboration and feedback from his peers now. But I also think there's something missing from it. Especially in how the narrative is handled. It feels very much like a director-writer consenting to studio changes on the script just to get his movie made.

We'll see. Things are already off to a good start. Tanaka's back for character designs, the red Xenogears styled X, and flying robots in an open world, fuck yeah!

B.K.

I don't understand the logic behind your decision. you bought two copies of a game you did not like? why?

Because I wanted to support Takahashi and Monolithsoft. I wanted to do my part to get future Monolithsoft games in America. I bought the European version before the American release was announced. It was really bad timing on my part. The American release was announced about two weeks after I had gotten the imported version in the mail. If I had known the game would be released in America, I wouldn't have imported. I only imported because Nintendo had spent months saying they weren't going to release it here.

skypunch

Banned

We know nothing about the story as of yet.

duckroll

We'll see. Things are already off to a good start. Tanaka's back for character designs, the red Xenogears styled X, and flying robots in an open world, fuck yeah!

I wasn't talking about this game though. I was just talking about Xenoblade. We know almost nothing about this, it's too early to comment on how it's being made. I feel that Soma Bringer was actually a great way for Takahashi to write the sort of story I love from him, and deliver a game on time, without falling off a cliff in development. So it's certainly possible even with Nintendo around.

B.K.

You're making up an awful lot of details just to present your own opinion as fact. Try taking lessons from a master like duckroll. =p

Am I? There's a Xenoblade interview where Takahashi says that he hopes one day to be able to write what he really wants to. That means that Xenoblade isn't really the kind of game he wants to make.

Sophia

I wasn't talking about this game though. I was just talking about Xenoblade. We know almost nothing about this, it's too early to comment on how it's being made.

Yeah I meant more like this is a good chance for Takahashi to go back to his older style, while not compromising on what made Xenoblade great. He's in a perfect position to do so with all the critical acclaim XB got.

Am I? There's a Xenoblade interview where Takahashi says that he hopes one day to be able to write what he really wants to. That means that Xenoblade isn't really the kind of game he wants to make.

That doesn't mean he sold out. Just that he's a man who understands his business. Besides, Xenoblade was an experiment anyhow.

onilink88

Come on now, Xenoblade isn't that bad. I do think people overrate the game on these boards as if it's some amazing game (lol gorgeous vistas), but it's a solid game. Nothing special, but not bad. It's like a beta-FF12. Story was crap though, I'll give you that.

I don't get it. What, exactly, is "lolworthy" about the people expressing sentiments praising Xenoblade as an amazing game and its canvases as beautiful? There's nothing outlandish there.

I don't get why GAF has such a hard on for Xenoblade. That game was horrible to me.

There you go.

But ep. III is one of the best jrpg on PS2 and Monolith final Masterpiece. Everything about that game was simply terrific.

I wouldn't call it their last masterpiece. :)

spidye

Because I wanted to support Takahashi and Monolithsoft. I wanted to do my part to get future Monolithsoft games in America. I bought the European version before the American release was announced. It was really bad timing on my part. The American release was announced about two weeks after I had gotten the imported version in the mail. If I had known the game would be released in America, I wouldn't have imported. I only imported because Nintendo had spent months saying they weren't going to release it here.

I get it if you want to support a product you like but you said you didn't like it at all. at least I wouldn't since I don't have the money for buying two copies of one game let alone of a game I don't like ;)

skypunch

Banned

He also mentioned in a Xenoblade interview that he plans on continuing to write mature storylines. I think this is proof enough that this new game will have a good story.

A.E Suggs

It was rushed but it didn't suck. However I do wonder how Xeno Ep.II is better than III to you. Also what sucked the story(which honestly is something I don't like to get into with any game because there's to many differing opinions) or the gameplay,etc.

I wouldn't call it their last masterpiece. :)

Agreed, that is currently Xenoblade. And I doubt it's the last one, either.

It was rushed but it didn't suck. However I do wonder how Xeno Ep.II is better than III to you. Also what sucked the story(which honestly is something I don't like to get into with any game because there's to many differing opinions) or the gameplay,etc.

Both. I thought the combat, though needing polish was a better direction in II, and the story was leagues better in I (particularly how they ended several characters' arcs). Ironically enough, Xenoblade's combat system is what I consider the evolution of Ep. II; the break and combo system, only done right.

Mind you these are only my opinions, as much as I disagree with GAF's praise of III and will say so in a heartbeat, they're entitled to it.

duckroll

I don't agree with this. I think there's a huge difference between making a game you want to, but with compromises in certain areas because other people making the game with you feel differently about certain things, and actually not making a game you want to make. If Xenoblade is not the sort of game Takahashi wants to make, then he wouldn't have worked so closely on it. Monolithsoft is not a tiny studio, Takahashi certainly doesn't have to work on every single game.

NeoRausch

Just watched the trailer. DAMM!

It's Phantasy Star zone of enders with xenoblade HUD.....and SHULK!

week the whole system looks like xenoblade. <3

dkeane

Fantastic music! Everything else looks pretty great as well. Probably won't be out for a long time though. Waiting is the hardest part.

pestul

If I were an American/Canadian (some guy living in the americas), a JRPG/RPG fan and still not an owner of Xenoblade Chronicles (for whatever reason), I would definitely start looking for it on foreign sites (e.g. amzon.de, amazon.fr etc.) right now.
Granted, that it's around 90 on amazon.com already, other's might start looking for it on said sites as well, which could make it ever more expensive in the future (Xenoblade could very well become one of those games that is gonna be hard to get in 1 or 2 years from now).
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look around my local town first, but I might resort to this. I'm also having a hard time finding a copy of Lost Odyssey 360 locally. It's pretty reasonable on eBay, but I haven't jumped on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom