• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't want to spend a lot of hours solo catching up. How does a scrub and a better geared person further progressed person work together online together?

All I want to do is progress with my friend online with my 2 hour old char.

upandaway

I don't want to spend a lot of hours solo catching up. How does a scrub and a better geared person further progressed person work together online together?

All I want to do is progress with my friend online with my 2 hour old char.
Not sure what you mean.. do you mean he's a lot more skilled than you, or that you're just using a character with weak gear?

Either way I would ask him if he could get some weaker gear (ideally slightly stronger than yours). Otherwise, in my opinion, it's just a waste of time because you won't gain the skill or fun that you're playing the game to gain.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Not sure what you mean.. do you mean he's a lot more skilled than you, or that you're just using a character with weak gear?

Either way I would ask him if he could get some weaker gear (ideally slightly stronger than yours). Otherwise, in my opinion, it's just a waste of time because you won't gain the skill or fun that you're playing the game to gain.
He's gotten to the 2nd boss on solo, never plays online, and I just started.

upandaway

I really don't want to play solo tho. How much gameplay or time can we do online if I do solo slowly or not at all, and mostly online with him?
Both online and solo usually require you to complete a quest more than once (maybe not outright, but just out of need for loot or experience). I had no problem playing both solo and with my friend at the same time. It made progression very natural, even. You should be fine with any sort of ratio between offline and online that you feel like even if it's 0:1.

Anyway yeah he's not ahead of you at all, you're practically at the same point. It's a lot of fun playing alongside someone else, and you can just go offline when your schedules don't match up, no downside.

Doorman

If by "second boss" you mean he's gotten to the second large monster quest i.e. Qurupeco, then like Yoda said, he's not far enough ahead of you that it will make much difference unless the time he plays solo far exceeds the amount of time you two play together. If you're saying you're worried that his character will outpace yours then...well yeah, if he still spends most of his time offline and advancing along, he likely will get better equipment and more experience. All that really means is that if he joins you in fighting the monsters that you have next to do, he'll be able to deal more damage with stronger weapons, and have a better idea of a monster's patterns.

Playing that way can still be perfectly fun, though that also depends on whether or not your friend becomes a dick about fighting monsters he's already beaten. :p That's the name of the game in general here, though.

I really don't want to play solo tho. How much gameplay or time can we do online if I do solo slowly or not at all, and mostly online with him?
You can jump online immediately and play. Whether or not that is a good idea depends on how much of the basic mechanics you understand. As long as you know the basic controls and have an idea of how to do stuff like attack, heal, acquire items, etc. you should be fine.

In any case, there's no harm in trying. If you and your friend end up being overwhelmed, you can always use the offline as a fallback training mode of sorts.

Fistwell

All this talk of Tri-HD makes me want to just play some monster hunter really bad.

Anyone up for some good old fashioned ass spanking these days (Europe)? I should have a char around HR80, another in the 40s, and a brand new one at HR zero. Reply and/or PM if interested!

Edit: by the way, can you play online on wii u, or do I need to unbox my wii?

upandaway

All this talk of Tri-HD makes me want to just play some monster hunter really bad.

Anyone up for some good old fashioned ass spanking these days (Europe)? I should have a char around HR80, another in the 40s, and a brand new one at HR zero. Reply and/or PM if interested!

Edit: by the way, can you play online on wii u, or do I need to unbox my wii?
I still need to farm Jho for two of the rewards! If you wanna play on FriSat, I'm good.

sgjackson

I bought this on a whim a week ago and I'm hooked. I've been playing solo and I have a couple of questions.

1. I've been using Greatsword (yeah, I know) and I've done every boss through Barroth, about to tackle Gobul. Seeing some videos of people doing bosses I see that the technique is to get off as many charge attacks as possible, which isn't hard on some bosses but a pain on others. Is this something that's easier to do online? Should I be bringing more traps and stuff to unload charge combos on monster head? I don't want to be "that guy" who's bad with my weapon once I decide to go online.

2. I probably need to branch out into other weapons based on what I'm reading and how I assume bosses become faster later - are there any good videos which walk you through technique on how to use different weapon types?

3. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on making new weapons and armor and how you farm for stuff, but mechanics like the farm/boats/captain (basically anything with resource points) still seem a little hazy. I've been using the farm to make potion/mega potion mats, but I haven't really touched the Captain much. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned with from the Argosy Captain, and what's the best way to get his stuff?

I bought this on a whim a week ago and I'm hooked. I've been playing solo and I have a couple of questions.
Welcome to Monster Hunter!

1. I've been using Greatsword (yeah, I know) and I've done every boss through Barroth, about to tackle Gobul. Seeing some videos of people doing bosses I see that the technique is to get off as many charge attacks as possible, which isn't hard on some bosses but a pain on others. Is this something that's easier to do online? Should I be bringing more traps and stuff to unload charge combos on monster head? I don't want to be "that guy" who's bad with my weapon once I decide to go online.
It depends - it might actually be harder to land charge attacks in a group if your teammates spread out. The monster will always be more predictable in solo situations since you know it will target you and not somebody else. On the flip side, more hunters hitting the monster will stagger it more often, leading to more attack opportunities.

It's best to learn how to get your hits in without relying on traps and flash bombs. They definitely help speed things along but not only are those items limited, the monster builds up tolerance to them as you use them during a quest. Bring them just in case but try not to use them as a crutch too often.

2. I probably need to branch out into other weapons based on what I'm reading and how I assume bosses become faster later - are there any good videos which walk you through technique on how to use different weapon types?
If you can handle the GS and you like it, don't feel pressured to switch. Obviously some weapon types match up better against certain monsters but every class is viable. SocialDissonance has some okay videos on YT that explain the basics of the different weapons but he really isn't the greatest player so don't emulate everything he does lol. There's an ingame manual that explains the attacks of each weapon type too so you can always experiment in Moga Woods freehunt if you wish.

3. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on making new weapons and armor and how you farm for stuff, but mechanics like the farm/boats/captain (basically anything with resource points) still seem a little hazy. I've been using the farm to make potion/mega potion mats, but I haven't really touched the Captain much. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned with from the Argosy Captain, and what's the best way to get his stuff?
Bascially, if you go to the Moga Woods to the right (i.e. without signing up for a quest), you're in free hunt mode. No penalties or limits to dying so you can gather materials or practice against monsters at your own pace. Junior will tell you which monsters you may see there on a given "day" but if you kill/cap all of those monsters in the forecast, new ones can spawn in their place if you stay long enough. You don't get any quest rewards for killing/capping monsters (since you're not on a quest) but you rack up resource points for each kill/cap. The resource points are used for various things in the village such as the farm/boats/etc. After you kill/cap a large monster in Moga free hunt, you can report your hunt to Junior and he'll give you extra items based on what you hunted. Some of those items can be traded to the captain for other items you might find useful.

sgjackson

Useful stuff.

Thanks for the info. Responses:

1. I haven't been using traps/flash bombs much at all actually (I might use a trap to get in some hits to make sure I break a part for a sidequest but I'd say most of my trap use has been the supplied ones during capture quests). Most of my fighting is running around sheathed looking for an opening, doing an unsheathe strike+maybe another few hits, then sheathing and hauling ass. I think the only time I abused items was Sonic Bombs on Trapping the Trickster because the Rathian Qurupeco calls in is a pain in the ass to avoid.

2. It's been working pretty well so far so I think I'll stick with it. I tried a Hammer and a Lance against Great Jaggi but wasn't feeling it. If I have trouble later I'll experiment.

3. Yeah I kinda figured that's how it worked, I just haven't felt the need to farm stuff for the captain yet and the boats have given me enough RP to make masks/upgrade the farm. Is there anything in particular I need to work on getting from the Argosy Captain?

It's been a long time since I've played the offline portion so it's hard for me to give you tips on what specifically to look for from the Captain during the initial playthrough. He does offer things like traps and bombs so you don't have to make them from lesser materials. There are also items that can boost the yield you get from the fishermen/farm.

And using Sonics is more than fine as long as you know when/how to use them. It's just that there are a lot of bad players online who spam traps and flash bombs without thinking. They end up setting traps far from the monster and wait on the other side while everybody else actually fight the monster. Or they blind everybody except for the monster with their barrage of Flash Bombs.

Fistwell

Is there anything in particular I need to work on getting from the Argosy Captain?
He's more of a convenience store. You can exchange some crap for useful stuff, like traps and such. He also carries more exotic items like new chacha dances, and I believe he has plans for a special gun, but I never bothered.

His greatest 'contribution' in my mind is to give the
LS recipe
to
forge/equipment midget
after you bag
gobul
. But all you need to do is wait for him to do it, so it's not like you could miss it.

Edit: btw, if you're in EU (which I doubt from time of your posts but you never know) and looking for help online, I'd be happy to assist. My new char got squished when I imported my old save from the wii, but I wouldn't mind rolling another one.

And by the way, on the topic of farm and boats, they become a life saver if you play online a lot. Playing later online quests, you burn through resources (i.e. items, not resource points) like a madman. Dropping offline now and then and abusing the farm for sap plants, sleep plants, honey etc. saves a lot of time and z's. Similarly, boats are an awesome source of scatterfish (used to craft bombs).

upandaway

Yeah the boats are great for fish which in turn are great to trade into resource points if you ever need them, like for the farm, which you can use to get money really fast from storm seeds.

It's a bit confusing at first but once you can get a cycle going, it's an amazing lifesaver. I just said what setup worked for me but play with it.

Honey is also good to get from the farm for a while though later on it's best to trade for it online.

Fistwell

Fun cple of hunts there, up. Sry I got on so late. I should be online on and off tomorrow all day, drop by if you see me online. If anyone else wants to join in, feel free! :D

upandaway

Fun cple of hunts there, up. Sry I got on so late. I should be online on and off tomorrow all day, drop by if you see me online. If anyone else wants to join in, feel free! :D
It was great, we had a pretty nice group.

On the last hunt (the only one I didn't die on) I got both the silver crown and the gem, both things I was doing Jho for, and gosh dang I STILL NEED 1 SCALP TO UPGRADE THE LANCE ARGH
I have like over 15 of every other Jho drop, it's ridiculous.

Can't really go on tomorrow after all but I'll probably go with my friend next weekend, if you'll still feel the itch.

Doorman

I know that this is also somewhat a general question, but I'll go ahead an ask it here since this is the game I'm primarily concerned about anyway, and I'm not sure anywhere else would be more or less appropriate.

So, I got a Wii U for Christmas and I've been getting ready to do the system transfer to move all the available data from my Wii to the Wii U. What I haven't figured out yet is that, with the way the U's online infrastructure works, will the system transfer also move over all the appropriate identifiers and tags so I can continue to play online with my old data and friend lists and such? In other words, transferring the data won't force me to re-add my contacts and shit onto a new account, will it? I haven't yet seen one of the multitude of Wii U-based threads discuss how the online play of Wii games works regarding that.

EDIT: Alright, after a little bit of research I may have answered my own question. Supposedly all Nintendo WFC data is transferred over as well, so I'm guessing it works. Oddly enough, the game LostWinds doesn't transfer...curious, though irrelevant to this topic.

Fistwell

So, Alon, which one did you like the best? When I pushed you into agna's flaming laser beam of doom, or when I nudged you into ura's flaming fart of death? 8D
Not a very productive session. Wish mike had not bailed on us like a bitch. Would have also helped if pedro had not forgotten cold drinks for volcano hunts twice in a fucking row. Especially after I reminded him to pack some before the second one.

*pedro is sweating like a pig*
Festwill: "Pedro, you forgot cold drinkies AGAIN??"
Pedro: "Oh hell to the no!"
*more sweat*
Pedro: "ahem... cold drinks anyone?"

upandaway

So, Alon, which one did you like the best? When I pushed you into agna's flaming laser beam of doom, or when I nudged you into ura's flaming fart of death? 8D
Not a very productive session. Wish mike had not bailed on us like a bitch. Would have also helped if pedro had not forgotten cold drinks for volcano hunts twice in a fucking row. Especially after I reminded him to pack some before the second one.

*pedro is sweating like a pig*
Festwill: "Pedro, you forgot cold drinkies AGAIN??"
Pedro: "Oh hell to the no!"
*more sweat*
Pedro: "ahem... cold drinks anyone?"
Haha yeah, but he tried so hard! I felt like I wanna tuck him into bed with some iced tea and tell him it's all gonna be okay.

Instead I super pounded him like 10 times but oh well lol. After I was 1-shotted at full life by Ura before the screen loaded (the "you died" message popped up on the load screen. what), I just lost all my playing abilities. I had more fun than when I win, so it's all cool (pun intended).

upandaway

ijjY6.jpg

There! I think I'm done. The only ones I have left are the gold crowns (lol no) and the rare weapons one. I have A LOT of rare 6 weapons and about x5 as much armor, and ~3 pieces of rare 7 and I still didn't get it, so I give up.

Not sure when I'll get a Wii U so I guess I'll try to get more rare weapons when I get an itch.. but that award is seriously the worst thing.

Chuckpebble

This guy ngevan2k seems to be on the cusp of releasing private server software for Monster Hunter Tri.

http://www.sufami.org/index.php

Since the servers shut down last year, the better half of this game has been unavailable. Don't know if there's much interest in this here, what with the thriving MH3U community and all, but hey, why not? I mean, I put about 600 hours into Ultimate myself, but I still miss Loc Lac and all those things I never got to finish.

Top Bottom